• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

Moses85

I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

If a game looks as good as UE5 demo, I'll gladly play it at 30fps.
Get some Glasses 😅

ZywyPL

Banned
people just play them bcoz their hardware can run it at high visuals so they trick themselves into thinking that they actually enjoy the hollow experience

What an utter nonsense. I play the Motorsport series because I love cars and that's the most content-packed racing title out there since GT started its downfall in that regards, visuals have nothing to do with it. While in contrary, I'm not into the Horizon series, it doesn't have that competitive/progression aspect, and is completely missing any actual race tracks, so it doesn't do anything for me despite pretty visuals. But I know people who have completely opposite opinion, who want to just roam around in their favorite car or endlessly blast through the highways at 300kph, while finding racing on a closed circuit utterly boring, and again, graphics have nothing to do with it.

On topic:

The Ascent really blew me away with its visuals, animations, physics/interaction and sound design, I haven't seen such a complete package in all those those aspects combined since KZ2 in 2009, so in quite a while. Like I already said in the OT, static screens don't even do the justice, the game truly shines in motion, you don't even have to do much but slowly walk throughout the scenery, with everything around you constantly moving, random events like drones and cars flying by, the police checking out the district, people minding their own business etc. And then when you get into an actual fight everything gets 10x better.

Gamerguy84

What review. Also, I don't play on TV. Never have. 4K monitor.
There was a bigger difference perception wise from 720 to 1080 IMO.

1080 was good but we've had upscaling techniques slowly blurring the lines. I'm blown away by Sackboy. Sitting close to my 70 inch 4K and looking at every pixel is amazing.

If you still have a PS4 compare it to the PS5 equivalent. I'm pretty blown away. Games like Days Gone and Infamous that got the 4K HDR patch look really good. I also believe playing on a larger TV shows more.

Then games like MM, DS, Ratchet, even Sackboy are next level.

One of my favorite things though is the choice to play at 60 or 30. I always check out both modes but usually play on 60.

I still don't own a 4K screen so I feel whenever I get that I might see a big difference in already good-looking games. Despite that I still think the difference is notable compared to the base ps4. Demon's Souls looks amazing and 60fps has greatly improved the experience, don't think I could go back. Everything just feels so much sharper
4K is nice - youll notice a little bit of a difference in sharpness and clarity if you have a big enough tv. But 4K HDR is more impactful and can really make a game shine. Once we start seeing more games made with 4K HDR in mind I think gamers will appreciate it. For example, the Horizon Forbidden West trailer/gameplay looks beautiful in 4K HDR on a capable tv.

Last edited:
If you still have a PS4 compare it to the PS5 equivalent. I'm pretty blown away. Games like Days Gone and Infamous that got the 4K HDR patch look really good. I also believe playing on a larger TV shows more.

Then games like MM, DS, Ratchet, even Sackboy are next level.
Those games do blow me away, but even games that are next level such as Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart don't really look like a generation apart from the PS4 gen. I was spoiled by having a PS4 Pro though.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
PS5 is the first console that doesn't impress me when it comes to visuals. Remember even during the PS4 release being pretty stunned by Shadow Fall.

At first I didn't even have any real Next Gen games and then when I finally had Demons Souls I was pretty let down as, to me, even FFVII looks better - and that is only a PS4 game.

Well, dimishing returns are finally here I guess. Though maybe the TV industry will bring the next step forward again. HDR was a game changer for me. Playing Horizon with it enabled absolutely blew me away. Curious to see what the future brings.
It's the opposite for me, the lighting and assets in Demon Souls blew me away and Ratchet and Clank's graphics are next level too

I wouldn't be worried, it's going to get even better

MiguelItUp

I miss being blown away by new graphics and engines. Engines REALLY bringing something new and impressive to the table. I feel like we haven't seen that in... awhile. I guess UE5 COULD be that engine, but then again I don't know if it's anything NEW per se, just better.

Rayderism

To me, framerate and resolutions are just perks, what matters most to me is that a game is fun to play. A game could be 8K at 120fps, but if the gameplay is crap, it's still a crap game, just a highly detailed turd that moves smoothly.

This is nuts. So I assume UE5. What's the difference? Is it just shading, amount of colors.

We probably won't get a real game looking like this for a long time but this is impressive AF.
Unreal 5 has global illumination (lumen) built in, so it takes no extra effort for the dev as well as the nanite technology which means rigid meshes have an infinite number of triangles and no more manual LOD creation.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Unreal 5 has global illumination (lumen) built in, so it takes no extra effort for the dev as well as the nanite technology which means rigid meshes have an infinite number of triangles and no more manual LOD creation.
Not having to build so many different LOD models in Itself is going to cut down development time for UE5 games 💪

CamHostage

This is nuts. So I assume UE5. What's the difference? Is it just shading, amount of colors.

We probably won't get a real game looking like this for a long time but this is impressive AF.

The crazy thing is, that project is as stock-engine UE5 as it comes. The guy's been working on it, in just the Early Access Preview UE5 release, for only 2 months, and if you read his comments or Discord, he's not doing anything special or employing a special technical expertise. This is just something you can do with Unreal now if you do the right things well. Everybody else is breaking their asses trying to come up with their own technology systems for future titles, and this is an example of just turning on all the effects, dropping in a ton of objects connected to the physics system, and just making something as simple as an obstacle course game.

And yet, it wows! Because it's easy to see all that power on display, unencumbered by the complexity attempted to be layered on games otherwise; just material shaders and global illumination lighting and a solid physics system. Meat and potatoes, but it hits the spot.

Last edited:

Klik

Game is coming out in 2022.

In next 1-2 years games are gonna be really impressive graphically. That's what happen when you go from Jaguar "tablet" cpu at 1.5ghz,old gpu and hdd as lowest common denominator to powerful Ryzen 8/16 3.5ghz, rdna2 gpu, ssd 😁

Nah, we hear it every gen, but in reality the devs will spend that on something else instead.
I don’t expect it to cut down a significant amount of time although I think it would bring drastic improvements to workflow.

The same is the case with the SSD’s for both next-gen consoles, up until this gen developers would have to consider the data streaming off the slow and clunky HDD and how that would impact the design of their game. Then they would also have to ensure that their game was sectioned properly to trigger the data stream. That problem is now solved thanks to the huge amount of bandwidth these SSD’s offer as we as the low latency.

As with creating LOD’s and designing games around slow data streaming, Mark Cerny said it best, “it’s just one giant distraction for a team that just wants to make their game”.

ZywyPL

Banned
I don’t expect it to cut down a significant amount of time although I think it would bring drastic improvements to workflow.

Well as per recent The Coalition presentation, so far UE5 brings more challenges and difficulties rather than making things easier. But the engine is still in its early stages, I personally think it'll spread its wings no earlier than in 2nd half of this generation (2024-25), just as it's been the case with UE on 7th and 8th gen consoles.

gmilh

Neo Member
I completely disagree. Personally I hold a deep hatred for the graphic rush that happened across the last few generations.
The game industry completely pivoted over investing most of their budgets over realistic graphics that would be outdated and look jarring just a few years down the line, at the cost of sacrificing gameplay.
For example look at the last 2 Resident Evil games compared to an earlier title like Resident Evil4. The enemy variation is abysmally lower. Jeez what happened? I’ll tell what happened, the costs to model and animate unique enemy archetypes has spiraled out of control, so the design has to scaled down to keep the art budget within scope.

I hate this trend, and I blame the player who keep demanding for better graphics. If you want cutting edge graphics go watch CG movie I say, or even better a live action one it doesn’t get more photorealistic than that!
Call me crazy but I personally like to play games for the gameplay, and I’m tired of having to stomach limited gameplay variation or even worse abysmally low framerate just because some fake gamer needs to have photorealistic graphics.

Azurro

Banned

That's neat, it looks like Fallguys but with toy cars.

I completely disagree. Personally I hold a deep hatred for the graphic rush that happened across the last few generations.
The game industry completely pivoted over investing most of their budgets over realistic graphics that would be outdated and look jarring just a few years down the line, at the cost of sacrificing gameplay.
For example look at the last 2 Resident Evil games compared to an earlier title like Resident Evil4. The enemy variation is abysmally lower. Jeez what happened? I’ll tell what happened, the costs to model and animate unique enemy archetypes has spiraled out of control, so the design has to scaled down to keep the art budget within scope.

I hate this trend, and I blame the player who keep demanding for better graphics. If you want cutting edge graphics go watch CG movie I say, or even better a live action one it doesn’t get more photorealistic than that!
Call me crazy but I personally like to play games for the gameplay, and I’m tired of having to stomach limited gameplay variation or even worse abysmally low framerate just because some fake gamer needs to have photorealistic graphics.

This is a dumb argument, I'll rephrase it for you "If you like gameplay so much, go play board games and pen & paper RPGs".

Videogames are a visual medium, you can't expect the giant improvements in visuals that are available to not be put to use in a visual medium. It'd be like opposing better engines in automobiles, or getting annoyed that music quality improved when CDs arrived.

It was inevitable that consolidation would take place as the industry matured, are you also angry that not everyone out there can build their own car in their garage that can compete with an average Toyota?

Last edited:

Tschumi

I see where you're coming from.

I do think i've been pretty jazzed by the way new games are looking, but they don't seem like generational leaps so much as impressive leaps.

Tschumi

Your argument isn't "dumb" lol it's just alternate. I totally get where you're coming from.

Games have been looking great and running great. It feels like the dream of 60FPS is sticking this time, and I couldn't be happier. Thank God for 120FPS lol.

I get where you're coming from, though. These consoles aren't powerful enough for the kind of ray tracing we want.

Last edited:

SSfox

Graphics wise i'm satisfied, but there is some lack when in comes gameplay and game design innovations, specially from western devs in general, you know those kind of western devs that think they have innovated in their games because they switch the main character from a man to woman or from white guy to black guy, those kind of nonsens you know.

Zok310

Banned
The last time I had that experience was Kill Zone ShadowFall.
Potentially DS for PS5 gameplay reveal came close but it did not floor me like shadowfall did.

tommib

I just want to say that I was totally blown away by Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 on my Series S, as well as Demon's Souls and Returnal. Returnal specially looked totally like cutting-edge stuff with the particles show and basically 0 loadings. I guess I'm a simple person.

FStubbs

Interesting point that I agree with. As an example, consider what happened on the Wii when Monolithsoft made Xenoblade. The Wii was more powerful than the PS2 so they could improve the graphics some over the Xenosaga games but not a generational leap. So they built the game OUT instead of up, and the result was a masterpiece.

I'm not a GTA fan, but I wonder what would happen if they made a GTA with the same graphics level as GTA5 (which is a generation+ old at this point and still looks great), and put the budget on making the game just ... bigger and more interactive.

RafterXL

Killzone: Shadowfall is the only game in the Op that makes any sense. Most of those titles weren't "early" PS4 games, so comparing them to launch PS5 games seems ridiculous. There's also the fact that KZ: Shadowfall was fucking trash, so it's clear they cared more about looking pretty than actually making a decent game. Demon's Souls is every bit, if not more, as graphically impressive as a PS5 launch title than games like Infamous were as PS4 titles. And go look at R&C 2016 and compare it to the PS5 game, it's significantly worse in nearly every way.

Some of you guys also are looking through some rose tinted glasses. Late gen PS3 games were looking as good as a lot of early gen PS4 games, so it's not exactly shocking that a 2020 PS4 game, TLoU2, which released 7 years after the PS4 launch, would look as good as a PS5 game released in the same year.

With one exception, actual PS4 launch titles looked like ass.

Top Bottom