• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss the old YouTube gaming channels style

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Since Banjo Kazooie was launched for the Switch, I stopped a little to hear the 8 bit OST version of it, than a old Vinesauce video that has Treasure Trove Cove also appeared as a suggestion, and was basically a slap in the face. Vinesauce nowadays it not that good as it used to be. Machinima died. Rooster Teeth became boring. IGN is basically an algorithm. JonTron basically doesn't do games anymore...

So yeah, it's just me or the channels are basically just news with a joke here and there, while back in the day they really have fun with it?

Also, that's the video I mentioned

(very light, well edited, not that long)

A recent video:

(way longer dialogue while he just walks in the game, five minutes to show just a bug joke, not much happens for the next five minutes - which is the end of the video)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
danielsl still makes videos once a few months. if you dont know him heres a legendary video

Shame he had to remove his fallout one due to a complaint from someone he apparently didn't pay fully when they produced their work late and half done.

Good thing people reupload.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Seth is an utter legend.
Absolutely, one of the very few youtubers I consoder worth a watch. I miss him tho, he's barely uploaded anything in the past few months.
And i miss gaming magazines with video reviews/previews on cd/dvd
Me too pal, specially the PC ones which game with lots of demos and even full games for free. I remember playing gems like Homeworld thanks to those.

Rat Rage

It's harder to find smaller, more unknown channels that retain some of the less commercialized feel of old youtube, but they are there. It's just harder to find them in a sea of reaction youtubers and "popular" bullshit content creators the algorithm tries to throw at you.

The problem is that YouTube has been taken over by communications experts, they edit, the research for keywords, they optimize length for adverts, etc. Youtube makes recommendation to the creators so that they fall in line, they are forced to produce on a daily basis in order to remain well classed in the algorithm. So no longer will we see genuine and inspired content made by passionate people.

Companies literally hire kids to become "youtubers", they're actors, and the old ones have to do something to keep up otherwise they get punished and lose their livelihood.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I always see people dissing youtube and reddit (not saying you are OP), but I always find it kind of funny, because these sites are really just tools. They are only as good as the content you support and seek out. If you find the content to be poor, you have to work harder to seek out new and innovative content; it's there. I know the algorithm is absolute crap in regards to youtube specifically, but take a current small youtuber like Wilburger for ie; I have never laughed harder in my entire life.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

You mean "dad jokes"? Haha
And yeah, they're great. One of the best dad jokes is this opening

Also, LORD CARNAGE

Man the 3DS was such hype back in the day. Wish they would get 3D screens back on handhelds.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You are on the wrong part you youtube.

Didn't knew this Rust-guy-videos, but seeing I think it's just okish the humor. I mean, they are having fun, but it's no different than me and some friends playing

Dr Disrespect I think it has too much editing to show some content. I mean, if you compare to Angry Review, it has a opening and it's way quicker and for the most part funnier. He's charismatic and shit, but man, a long video that shows basically what everyone know already is not great content. Also, sometimes he yells because of nothing

Yeah, watch better content dude.

Didn't knew this guy. Saw this and the Kenshi review that Y0ssarian Y0ssarian said. Really great content

Yes I too miss the good old days of solid video content....

Oh wait.... oh no.....

Bro Team are a hit and miss
danielsl still makes videos once a few months. if you dont know him heres a legendary video

I guess is not my kind of humor
I always see people dissing youtube and reddit (not saying you are OP), but I always find it kind of funny, because these sites are really just tools. They are only as good as the content you support and seek out. If you find the content to be poor, you have to work harder to seek out new and innovative content; it's there. I know the algorithm is absolute crap in regards to youtube specifically, but take a current small youtuber like Wilburger for ie; I have never laughed harder in my entire life.
It's not like I'm complaining about YouTube itself, but the people back in the day made content in the basis of fun foremost and second to have money. I know that it has some channels that stills has great content, like VideoGameDunkey, Mega64, GamingBritt... but in the early 2010 was a lot of channels with a lot of stuff, and now we see GameXplain for example, has great news, but they don't much about it. If you compare to IGN's Upt at Noon back in the day, it was WAY better

Also, Machinima had ETC, which was so much fun, with news, events, fucking around, and just some jokes... it was great

Watch Hikikomori Media, KBash, Gmanlives, and YMS Gaming.

Unfortunately, people staring deadpanned at a video game and occasionally making a funny joke for 4+ hours (aka Streaming) makes ass tons more money then spending hours and hours editing together awesome videos. That's just the way it is. Vinny Vinesauce is probably the only one worth watching due to his wholesome nature. Maximilian Dood is fun too.

Outlier

I dunno about this.

Vinesauce is a group of people, whom work mostly independently, I used to watch Joel ( years ago) before I got hooked on Vinny. I still watch/listen to Vinnys videos/streams.

I don't think the quality so much goes down as it mostly just changes style. Joel just got too wild for me, while Vinny has always been grounded level headed.

As for the others, I just don't have enough time or attention span to pay attention to so much content.

Last edited:

Holammer

Star_ and Jerma is peak gaming YT for me.

Some of the good TF2 people migrated to Overwatch and later Fortnite. Their current content tailored towards the ad-friendly tweens demographic and it shows, brightly colored nu-face thumbnails with clickbait titles and CAPITAL letters. Completely unwatchable and my toes curl from cringe induced stress if I try to watch 'em today.

Jerma keeps reinventing himself and there's still a funny edge to his stuff.

Top Bottom