• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here play FPS with a controller? I know it's a sin but I'm curious. I'm rusty, played a FPS on Pc last night for the first time in years and it didn't jive. Will I be doing myself a big disservice using a controller?

Nah, play how you wanna play. What game you playing?

hitgirl

Can anyone comment on Witcher 3 performance when comparing i5 6600k vs i7 6700k (with GTX 1070). I have both cores and haven't decided which one to use in my build. It seems like the i5 6600k might bottleneck the 1070.

LilJoka

Can anyone comment on Witcher 3 performance when comparing i5 6600k vs i7 6700k (with GTX 1070). I have both cores and haven't decided which one to use in my build. It seems like the i5 6600k might bottleneck the 1070.

With a 1070 rig just go with the 6700k. Imo HT is needed now Ryzen is here.

Parsifal

Neo Member
You could play at a variety of resolutions like 1440p and let the TV upscale that. Always set the resolution in the game, don't turn down the resolution of the TV. Try both scaling options, usually the GPU one is shit quality but the TV might introduce input lag.

But to be honest if you overclock the 1070 then you can easily play 4K @ 30+ fps if you are ok with that. Just turn antialiasing to FXAA/SMAA.

Thanks for the help.

I've just tried the Witcher 3 using 1440p and it looks way way better than upscaled 1080p, and it was smooth.

Maybe I'm weird, but I think I would rather have less resolution and more fps than the other way around.

Regarding the tearing, I guess it's inevitable if you duplicate two screens with different refresh rates, right?

Does anyone here play FPS with a controller? I know it's a sin but I'm curious. I'm rusty, played a FPS on Pc last night for the first time in years and it didn't jive. Will I be doing myself a big disservice using a controller?

Use a controller if that's what you prefer. At the highest level most FPS's benefit from using a mouse and keyboard, but most people are pretty terrible regardless. If you're good with a a controller, you'll still be better than 90% of the people you're playing against.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

Xbox controller for life for FPS.

fgghghgh2.gif

ererere.gif

rtrtrtr2.gif

rftrtr.gif

Anyone have any experience with Corsair vs. EVGA in regards to PSUs?

Deciding between the Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold and the EVGA 500W Bronze... the greater efficiency and cleaner finish on the Corsair (stone finish EVGA, what the fuck?) are swaying me...

Smokey

Übermatik;232001185 said:

Deciding between the Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold and the EVGA 500W Bronze... the greater efficiency and cleaner finish on the Corsair (stone finish EVGA, what the fuck?) are swaying me...

I've had experiences with both (EVGA "G" line), and am currently using a 1300w G2. I didn't have issues with either. You may want to read some reviews as I think the quality of EVGA line can vary, I just know the G line is really good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OP is being updated now!
Übermatik;232001185 said:

Entirely different price points. One is $50 one is $100... Both are good units. Your computer isn't going to run faster on the $100 unit. The 600B is $50 right now and will run any single card you need to.
If you want Modular for cheap you can look at the cx550m
Or the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 for $80

Try not to compare any PSU brand to any PSU brand. Corsair and eVGA both just rebrand and tinker a bit from 8 different manufactures. Even stuff in the same line can be wildly different units.

OP is being updated now!

Entirely different price points. One is $50 one is $100... Both are good units. Your computer isn't going to run faster on the $100 unit. The 600B is $50 right now and will run any single card you need to.
If you want Modular for cheap you can look at the cx550m
Or the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 for $80

Try not to compare any PSU brand to any PSU brand. Corsair and eVGA both just rebrand and tinker a bit from 8 different manufactures. Even stuff in the same line can be wildly different units.

Ahh fuck I meant the SuperNOVA GS, not the Bronze. It's late! Haha

Either way, thanks for the advice!

On another note, the sheer lack of B350 board reviews is frustrating. My 1700 arrives in a few days and I'd like to know what motherboard will be accompanying it, but I really can't make a choice. Being an early adopter certainly has its drawbacks.

Aeana

My least-favorite part of doing a full rebuild is picking out a motherboard. I noticed the OP is a bit outdated but in the process of being updated. If I'm getting a 7600K or 7700K (haven't decided yet), and I'm getting a Define R5 case (so not mini), what are some recommended go-to motherboards?

Pagusas

Elden Member
My least-favorite part of doing a full rebuild is picking out a motherboard. I noticed the OP is a bit outdated but in the process of being updated. If I'm getting a 7600K or 7700K (haven't decided yet), and I'm getting a Define R5 case (so not mini), what are some recommended go-to motherboards?

You can not go wrong with Asus, they are my goto always. for a 7700k get a z270 board, I personally LOVE Asus's itx line, I'll never buy a full sized mobo again, so much waste.

Aeana

You can not go wrong with Asus, they are my goto always. for a 7700k get a z270 board, I personally LOVE Asus's itx line, I'll never buy a full sized mobo again, so much waste.

Thanks for the input. I should probably have noted that I have need to be sure that my two capture cards fit in along with my GPU, which I think might disqualify a couple of otherwise good motherboards. As for the Z270, there seem to be a metric ton of those. Any specific recommendations?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thanks for the input. I should probably have noted that I have need to be sure that my two capture cards fit in along with my GPU, which I think might disqualify a couple of otherwise good motherboards. As for the Z270, there seem to be a metric ton of those. Any specific recommendations?

Whats your price range? Will you be overclocking? Will you be depending on onboard sound or using your GPU for sound via HDMI?

If you need cheap and reliable, grab the Asus Prime board, if you want to spend some money, grab a Asus Maximus. I always buy the Maximus lines as I like the build quality and look.

Aeana

Whats your price range? Will you be overclocking? Will you be depending on onboard sound or using your GPU for sound via HDMI?

I'd like to spend less than $200 or close to it if I can. I probably will not be overclocking. I use onboard sound for desktop sound and HDMI sound when I play on my TV. One of the capture cards is pci-e 1x, but the other requires 4x so I assume it'll have to occupy a 16x slot on these, since I'm not seeing any motherboards with slots other than 16x and 1x.

Edit: For the prime, is that this one?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd like to spend less than $200 or close to it if I can. I probably will not be overclocking. I use onboard sound for desktop sound and HDMI sound when I play on my TV. One of the capture cards is pci-e 1x, but the other requires 4x so I assume it'll have to occupy a 16x slot on these, since I'm not seeing any motherboards with slots other than 16x and 1x.

Edit: For the prime, is that this one?

Thats the one, it would be a good reliable board for you. You'll want the A version if you'll be using the onboard sound. The P and K versions are cheaper, but I wouldnt go lower then the A. One note, no wifi is included on the board, you'll need to go up a price tier for that. As you arent overclocking you could go under $100 easily on some boards, the B250 chipset would likely be fine for you, if you need more PCIE lanes the h270 would be good.

Here is a breakdown of the differences: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z270-H270-Q270-Q250-B250---What-is-the-Difference-876/

Smokey

So after a week of use, gotta shout out to the Kraken x62. I've only used Corsair AIO coolers since I started building, and this thing out paces them. Everything about it is more premium than Corsair's offerings, and there are no pump rattles or other odd noises. The software (CAM) is miles better and gives you readouts on your entire system in a more readable and usable manner than Corsair Link . Some people have complained about CAM being glitchy, but I haven't run into any problems (yet). It was $160 which is more than any Corsair AIO I've bought before, but so far it's been worth it. Also looks really good!

Pagusas

Elden Member
So after a week of use, gotta shout out to the Kraken x62. I've only used Corsair AIO coolers since I started building, and this thing out paces them. Everything about it is more premium than Corsair's offerings, and there are no pump rattles or other odd noises. The software (CAM) is miles better and gives you readouts on your entire system in a more readable and usable manner than Corsair Link . Some people have complained about CAM being glitchy, but I haven't run into any problems (yet). It was $160 which is more than any Corsair AIO I've bought before, but so far it's been worth it. Also looks really good!

Hows performance? I almost jumped on a X62, but they had just started taking preorders and I wasn't sure if i;d get it in time for my build, so went with a h100v2 instead.

Smokey

Hows performance? I almost jumped on a X62, but they had just started taking preorders and I wasn't sure if i;d get it in time for my build, so went with a h100v2 instead.

I changed the fans for Corsair ML 140 Pros. They've been great. Right now just browsing the web and using my computer I'm at ~35c on a 4930k (6 core) at 4.5ghz, using Kraken's 'Silent Mode', where the fans are running between 480 - 530 RPM. If I change the mode and up the RPMs a bit, it easily falls into the upper 20s - lower 30s. I've got some custom curves set up for gaming. BF1 sessions my CPU gets in the lower 60c range. It's probably not that far off from Corsair, but my older H100i was making terrible noises, and the H110i I bought a few weeks ago was doing the same, but not to the extent of the H100i.

The Kraken has been flawless in that area. No creaks or any kind of pump noise.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Disagree with the ASUS deal, they've been milking their rep the past 3 generations to charge people $20-30 more and for sometimes worse specs on boards.
The $200+ ASUS boards I do like a bit more. I've been on two GENE's for a while, but they certainly aren't the best value. The expensive MAXIMUS EXTREME XXVVIII also have been overtaken by the higher end boards here and there too.
I've been using the RMx 650 and all is good so far. Its pretty much equivalent to EVGA's G2 line.
Just a matter of current pricing, most of the PSUs over $50 are all good now.
Will have more value oriented options in a bit.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Look up every Z270 board and choose which one suits your needs with what it's capable of.

I'm going with the Asus gaming something something because it has bluetooth.

Weevilone

Disagree with the ASUS deal, they've been milking their rep the past 3 generations to charge people $20-30 more and for sometimes worse specs on boards.

Just a matter of current pricing, most of the PSUs over $50 are all good now.

Will have more value oriented options in a bit.

I've had reliability issues with Asus of late and have been looking elsewhere. Two of my last 4 Asus boards have been DOA, and the other haven't been great either.

Mad Max

Those looking for a z270 mobo note that msi has a rebate promo going on where you can get €30 back + a copy of For Honor on some boards. Asus also has a rebate of €50 but only when you also get a copy of win10.

I ordered the MSI z270 gaming pro (lol) carbon + 7700k yesterday since the board seemed like a decent mid range (sub €200) option. Because after spending half a day looking at all the z270 ATX boards it seems that almost all of them are pretty decent picks, so just take one that has the features you need at a reasonable price point and things should work out.
I'll give you guys some impressions on the carbon when I put everything together.

Some atx boards to look at in the sub-€200/$200 category:
€160 - Asus Prime z270-A
Seems to perform very well and has all the basic features you need + some LEDs.

€193 - Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X-GAMING 5
Lots of features like: LEDs, dual NIC, 2xM.2, U.2, sata express, HEX screen for displaying error messages. Gigabyte also seems to have a €20 rebate promo going on for this board.

€150 - MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Best value for money z270 if you ask me, but note that rebate promo doesn't apply to this mobo. The MSI gaming M3, M5 and pro carbon all share its design but have some extra features tacked on.

€180 MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
Basically the SLI Plus with some LEDS and a different color scheme, rebate applies to this one though so it's essentially the same price as the aforementioned board.

laxu

Question, guys.

How much of upgrade would it be to jump from an i5 4690 (non k) to an i7 7700k or equivalent Ryzen CPU (1700 is the equivalent price here in Canada)?

This would mean me changing the motherboard and RAM as well.

I have a 980 ti/i5 4690 combo right now and game at 1440p on my monitor or 4k on my television when possible. I'm wondering how held back I am at 4k specifically, but also 1440p.

Not enough to matter for most games unless you overclock. I went from 3570K @ 4.5 GHz to 6600K @ 4.7 GHz and the only game where I saw a noticeable difference was GTA V and even then only when running at 4K as with an overclocked 980 Ti it seemed to be the difference between somewhat stable 30 fps and a solid 30+ fps.

Basically clock speed will matter more than the generation. Seems anything newer than Ivy Bridge will do pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom