• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you got the 5800X3D! Userbenchmark is the worst place to look for test scores. It's absurdly bias with its scores. I don't know who hurt them at AMD, but somebody's wife at Userbenchmark had an affair with an AMD employee. 😆

Like, it has a 3070 beating a 6800 XT in their rankings. Can't take you seriously after that, lol
You are right about that, their Intel fanboyism knows no bounds ; an Intel chip is always at the number 1 spot and the x3D is ranked 15th xD

X3D is clearly the best chip boys, sorry 😘

Still, it's useful to compare against other users with the same hardware.

GreatnessRD

You are right about that, their Intel fanboyism knows no bounds ; an Intel chip is always at the number 1 spot and the x3D is ranked 15th xD

X3D is clearly the best chip boys, sorry 😘

Still, it's useful to compare against other users with the same hardware.
This is definitely true. I haven't used them in ages. Now all you gotta do is splurge and buy that "fresh" 6950 XT/3090 Ti, lmao

dave_d

Got the 5800x3D running! Saved screenshots of games performance using the 1600af. Userbenchmark says the x3D result is in the 98th percentile... so, damn. Either barely anyone has tested theirs or I got a good one. Haven't tuned memory yet, haven't undervolted anything either, just out of the box with xmp enabled.

Here's 2 results at 720p (720p because I have 3060, not 3080+), i'm sure you can tell which is the 1600af and which is the 5800x3d :

Crysis Warhead :

np8QE5i.png

CxrFe5t.png

^^ 1% low of 51 (1600) to 127 (x3D). 120fps on warhead is doable now.

Kingdom come deliverance :

D4QVrGm.png

BVn4ubx.png

^^ 1% low of 22 (1600) to 59 (x3D).. aaaalmost 60fps on the x3D, good thing I can tweak the system still. Look at how awful it was on the 1600af lol.

Can test more games if anyone asks, but these are the worst 2 unoptimized cpu games I have, so. Very very happy! :D
I really should try running the Crysis Warhead benchmark on my PC for comparison. (3800xt GTX. Yes, I have Warhead installed on my PC.)

I really should try running the Crysis Warhead benchmark on my PC for comparison. (3800xt GTX. Yes, I have Warhead installed on my PC.)
Settings were 720p, enthusiast, motion blur off FYI. Be interesting to see that!

I just played the game up until the bridge in.the pic, then screenshot.

Last edited:

dave_d

Settings were 720p, enthusiast, motion blur off FYI. Be interesting to see that!

I just played the game up until the bridge in.the pic, then screenshot.
I guess I should ask since I'm new to benchmarking what's the program you use to display that window in the upper left?
Edit-Is that MSI Afterburner? I can play around with it if that's what you're using.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've finally seen the light and gave undervolting a try on my 3090 FTW3 Ultra today.

BEFORE (stock settings)
3dmark timespy overall: 18108
3dmark timespy cpu: 11440
3dmark timespy gpu: 20185
heaven score: 1928
heaven fps: 76.5
heaven highest temp: 78C (constant)
heaven boost clock: 1860-1878 mhz

AFTER (875mv @ 1878mv)
3dmark timespy overall: 18064
3dmark timespy cpu: 11459
3dmark timespy gpu: 20110
heaven score: 1918
heaven fps: 76.1
heaven highest temp: 71C-72C (bounces back and forth between the two)
heaven boost clock: 1860

Performance is basically the same as before but load temps are down 6 degrees and fan noise is way down as well.
Is it ok to leave my power limit at 100%, or should I max that out?

edit: changed my voltage to 900mv

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I still have a 8800gt lying around. I wonder if I should pop it in for fun. It is probably going to have a stroke with all of that dust from sitting around in my closet and probably poor chase management back in the day

20211030_151125.jpg
Getting a new GPU was a much bigger deal back then. This baby was special. I had the 8800 GTX and I was pissed at how poorly it ran Crysis.

It wasn't until I got a pair of Radeon 4870s (maybe it was 5870) in Crossfire could I run that game reasonably well.

I've finally seen the light and gave undervolting a try on my 3090 FTW3 Ultra today.

BEFORE (stock settings)

AFTER (875mv @ 1878mv)

Performance is basically the same as before but load temps are down 6 degrees and fan noise is way down as well.
Nice. I really need to do this to my 3060 as well.

Xdrive05

Undervolting is amazing.

My 3050 does 2100/8300 on 1.0v. With the default voltage profile it was pushing the power pretty hard to keep those clocks. It was doing some crazy like nearly 1.3v for some reason, and making the card hit 74c+ under some loads.

With the undervolt I keep the exact same clocks at 1.0v and it stays between 55C and 62C at full load, depending on the game and FPS.

If you take the time to OC, take just a little more time and see how little power you need to feed your chip to keep that OC. It may surprise you!

manfestival

Yeah undervolting is fantastic. Big fan of it. I have two settings that I run on my computer these days. One general gaming and one OC. I typically undervolt the general gaming one harder than the OC one but the results are great across the board. Basically general gaming for all of those lower resource no big deal games like league/apex/etc and then OC for cyberpunk/etc.

Yep I will use that guide for sure.

Btw did you have any coil whine on your gpu that went away after undervolting?
Unfortunately it did not help in my case. Coil whine is a curse but I have been coping with it. Got a new case not too long ago that has dampened the sound enough that my headphones distract me enough from it but it is a constant reminder. I almost RMA'd it but then I gave up on that idea.

Last edited:
Yeah undervolting is fantastic. Big fan of it. I have two settings that I run on my computer these days. One general gaming and one OC. I typically undervolt the general gaming one harder than the OC one but the results are great across the board. Basically general gaming for all of those lower resource no big deal games like league/apex/etc and then OC for cyberpunk/etc.

Unfortunately it did not help in my case. Coil whine is a curse but I have been coping with it. Got a new case not too long ago that has dampened the sound enough that my headphones distract me enough from it but it is a constant reminder. I almost RMA'd it but then I gave up on that idea.
With stock on evga caught up I could probably rma this 3060... But honestly I am really hopeful I can get a 4070 through their elite program 🤞 and it's coming out soon, so.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Why though? GPU shouldn't be going all out in the lower resource games unless you have the frame rate unlocked. When it's idle it shouldn't matter either way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

BEFORE (stock settings)

AFTER (875mv @ 1878mv)

Ive been testing with Port Royale since thats an RT benchmark designed to max out the GPU and GPU alone.

I was actually able to push it down to 837 mv at 1815 mhz and keep the score the same. Stays true in cyberpunk as well. 5 degree coolers temps.

But then i got greedy and started pushing clocks while undervolting and while I was able to increase my scores by 5% by staying around 875 mv and pushing clocks to 1890 mhz, it crashed a lot before i found the sweet spot so im not gonna risk it for those minor gains.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Ive been testing with Port Royale since thats an RT benchmark designed to max out the GPU and GPU alone.

I was actually able to push it down to 837 mv at 1815 mhz and keep the score the same. Stays true in cyberpunk as well. 5 degree coolers temps.

But then i got greedy and started pushing clocks while undervolting and while I was able to increase my scores by 5% by staying around 875 mv and pushing clocks to 1890 mhz, it crashed a lot before i found the sweet spot so im not gonna risk it for those minor gains.
You have a 3080 right? What's your port royal score?

SlimySnake

You have a 3080 right? What's your port royal score?
Yeah, 10 GB variant. I returned the 12 GB variant because fuck 400 watt cards.

I just re-ran the benchmarks to get a more accurate rating because i typically test it with aggressive fan curves, ac blowing right into the front panel, etc.

First run was stock. 10,929 score. 72 degree average temp. 1794 mhz average clock.

Second run was 837 mv at 1830 mhz which is where the stock clocks mostly stayed during the stock test. +160 mhz memory overclock.
11,031 score. 69 degree average temp. 1830 mhz average clock. -30 watts.

Undervolting helps sustain clocks way better imo. I almost never saw it dip below 1830 mhz.

Comparison of the two runs here:

Here is my best run at 11,588 when I overclocked to 1905 mhz (Average 1889 mhz) + 300 mhz memory overclock while undervolting. Temps are really low despite the overclock because i had the ac blowing full speed.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Why though? GPU shouldn't be going all out in the lower resource games unless you have the frame rate unlocked. When it's idle it shouldn't matter either way.
Thanks to gsync, i leave framerates unlocked. RDR2 at 80 fps feels way better than 60 fps. cyberpunk in performance rt mode cant hit 60 fps unless I drop psycho RT lighting to Ultra RT and Im not doing that after spending almost a thousand dollars on a card so i leave the framerate running and play around 50-55 fps with rare drops to 40 fps.

manfestival

I have freesync. I leave my frames locked under my refresh rate.

With stock on evga caught up I could probably rma this 3060... But honestly I am really hopeful I can get a 4070 through their elite program 🤞 and it's coming out soon, so.
I can RMA mine for sure but... I got the cursed XFX

GreatnessRD

Seems to me its Sapphire then Power Color because of the Red Devil.

I need to stop being lazy and install Win11 and dust my PC. Just don't feel like it, Sigh. Lmao

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah, 10 GB variant. I returned the 12 GB variant because fuck 400 watt cards.

I just re-ran the benchmarks to get a more accurate rating because i typically test it with aggressive fan curves, ac blowing right into the front panel, etc.

First run was stock. 10,929 score. 72 degree average temp. 1794 mhz average clock.

Second run was 837 mv at 1830 mhz which is where the stock clocks mostly stayed during the stock test. +160 mhz memory overclock.
11,031 score. 69 degree average temp. 1830 mhz average clock. -30 watts.

Undervolting helps sustain clocks way better imo. I almost never saw it dip below 1830 mhz.

Comparison of the two runs here:

Here is my best run at 11,588 when I overclocked to 1905 mhz (Average 1889 mhz) + 300 mhz memory overclock while undervolting. Temps are really low despite the overclock because i had the ac blowing full speed.

Not bad. With my overclock I get 12300-12400 in port royal.

I played around with undervolting. I can get 1920 @850 with +500 mem. It dropped power by 80-100w, but I'm getting 100mhz lower. I got diminishing returns trying to go higher in regards to temp and power usage. kind of weird but even trying to go for 1980 @.9 would crash. Managed 2010 @ 950, but that had really no difference to my OC, which bounces around due to hitting powerlimit (380).
I have freesync. I leave my frames locked under my refresh rate.

I can RMA mine for sure but... I got the cursed XFX
Maybe I'm not following, but even with freesync, unless I limit my frame rate to my monitors max refresh in the nvidia control panel, my gpu will exceed it.

manfestival

If I were to go amd, it'd be sapphire brand.
sapphire is a solid brand. xfx is fine.... just got that nasty coil whine

I played around with undervolting. I can get 1920 @850 with +500 mem. It dropped power by 80-100w, but I'm getting 100mhz lower. I got diminishing returns trying to go higher in regards to temp and power usage. kind of weird but even trying to go for 1980 @.9 would crash. Managed 2010 @ 950, but that had really no difference to my OC, which bounces around due to hitting powerlimit (380).

Maybe I'm not following, but even with freesync, unless I limit my frame rate to my monitors max refresh in the nvidia control panel, my gpu will exceed it.
I would recommend that you search a video that explains VRR as a technology to understand this. I am not the best at explaining these things.

Kenpachii

With VRR normally u lock the framerate a few frames lower then the max refreshrate of your screen.

However if you got a 144+ hz screen its kinda pointless as at higher refresh rates tearing and stuttering is far less likely to the point u won't really notice it anymore. but the increase in reaction time that higher fps adds is absolutely noticable.

If you got a 120hz screen its probably useful at that point, but i would still keep it entirely unlocked.

VRR is mostly useful for lower framerates such as sub 120.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you’re planning to wait for the unavailable at launch 4000 series you’d better be prepared to spend an additional $200+ on a 1000W+ PSU. This is fucking insane. Combine this with heat generating Intel 12 series you’ll melt Antarctica.

manfestival

If you’re planning to wait for the unavailable at launch 4000 series you’d better be prepared to spend an additional $200+ on a 1000W+ PSU. This is fucking insane. Combine this with heat generating Intel 12 series you’ll melt Antarctica.

It is a good health benefit. You get a sauna without having to pay extra or even leave your room. Seems like a pretty solid deal. The future of limitless power!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
We need that barrier broken so EVGA can release some AMD cards (If my next GPU happen to be AMD anyway, lol) My old 1060 XC was a champ from EVGA. Don't have a bad word to say about them.
EVGA likely gets a sweet deal from nvidia to remain exclusive. They’re usually the most available of the nvidia GPUs.

SlimySnake

It is a good health benefit. You get a sauna without having to pay extra or even leave your room. Seems like a pretty solid deal. The future of limitless power!
Whats interesting to me is that my temps for the 400 watt EVGA FTW3 12 GB were the same as my temps for the 300 watt Ventus 10 GB LHR. I know the fans in the EVGA were probably better at dissipating heat but tbh, i did not notice my room get any hotter compared to the 300 watt ventus.

I would love to see some test results on this. I have three 140 mm intake fans and 2 exhaust radiator fans and a rear exhaust fan. I would expect my room to get much much hotter when using 30% more power, but i really dont think it got that much hotter.

SlimySnake

Wait, what GPU do you have?

I also noticed no real gains when undervolting to 900-900 mv and overclocking. The clocks kept dropping below 2000 mhz no matter what I tried despite Youtube comments suggesting a sweet spot of 975mv letting them sustain 2000 mhz. Silicon lottery i support.

The only way for me to sustain 1905 mhz is by undervolting to 850 mhz, but even then I need a memory overclock to 400-500 to get a 5% increase in score/fps. Just not worth all that tinkering. Im happy with 837 mv underclock at stock performance. Saves me 30 watts and 3-5 degrees in temps.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Wait, what GPU do you have?

I also noticed no real gains when undervolting to 900-900 mv and overclocking. The clocks kept dropping below 2000 mhz no matter what I tried despite Youtube comments suggesting a sweet spot of 975mv letting them sustain 2000 mhz. Silicon lottery i support.

The only way for me to sustain 1905 mhz is by undervolting to 850 mhz, but even then I need a memory overclock to 400-500 to get a 5% increase in score/fps. Just not worth all that tinkering. Im happy with 837 mv underclock at stock performance. Saves me 30 watts and 3-5 degrees in temps.
3080 ftw3.

Were the clocks dropping due to powerlimit?

I would be curious to see someone getting 2000 @ 975. I'll try it, but I don't think it will work. From stuff I've seen online at 975 most people get around 1940-1980.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

3080 ftw3.

Were the clocks dropping due to powerlimit?
12GB or 10 GB?

And yeah, the might have been, but i wouldve expected the undervolting to let me hit higher clocks. In the top benchmarks, i see the same cards hit 2000 mhz so its possible with the power limits of this card. I just dont know how.

manfestival

Whats interesting to me is that my temps for the 400 watt EVGA FTW3 12 GB were the same as my temps for the 300 watt Ventus 10 GB LHR. I know the fans in the EVGA were probably better at dissipating heat but tbh, i did not notice my room get any hotter compared to the 300 watt ventus.

I would love to see some test results on this. I have three 140 mm intake fans and 2 exhaust radiator fans and a rear exhaust fan. I would expect my room to get much much hotter when using 30% more power, but i really dont think it got that much hotter.
It would be more down to monitoring your thermals more than the actual wattage itself. You can have a 200 watt part that is boiling itself while having a park that is sucking up 350 watts that would be running way cooler. Actually if I compare my old CPU to my new CPU. I had the 8700k and now have the 12600k. Effectively 95 watts versus 150 watts. Yet my case/airflow/cooler/etc were all inferior in my 8700k build which meant that my lower wattage CPU was cranking out like 70C idle and sometimes shot up to 90C or higher under heavy load(with side panel on too). The 12600k with OC and better other factors hits like 50C under load and the worst I have seen it hit is 60 after hours of hot gaming. My room cause considerably hotter and faster with the 8700k. GPU remained the same in these scenarios.

SlimySnake

It would be more down to monitoring your thermals more than the actual wattage itself. You can have a 200 watt part that is boiling itself while having a park that is sucking up 350 watts that would be running way cooler. Actually if I compare my old CPU to my new CPU. I had the 8700k and now have the 12600k. Effectively 95 watts versus 150 watts. Yet my case/airflow/cooler/etc were all inferior in my 8700k build which meant that my lower wattage CPU was cranking out like 70C idle and sometimes shot up to 90C or higher under heavy load(with side panel on too). The 12600k with OC and better other factors hits like 50C under load and the worst I have seen it hit is 60 after hours of hot gaming. My room cause considerably hotter and faster with the 8700k. GPU remained the same in these scenarios.
Yep. Same thing. I had the 8700 with really poor cooling in the case, and after I upgraded to an i7-11700k, I had no choice but to upgrade to bring even idle temps down from 45-50 degrees. After investing in 4 140mm fans and a better AIO, i was able to bring it down to around 30-32 degrees and my room was much cooler. Surprisingly my 2080 temps went from 70 degrees all the way down to 55 degrees just adding some case cooling fans. I was shocked to say the least.

So that 12 GB Evga 3080 might have been consuming 100 more watts, but because Evga was cooling it so much better, it just didnt generate much heat in the case and anything exhausted out of the case basically warmed my room the same as my 10 GB ventus.

P.S Having three front panel intake fans is so important to cool the GPU. The GPU fans need that airflow from the front and if you only have 1 fan in the front parallel with the rear exhaust, it will only cool the CPU. You need those 2 fans below it feeding the GPU fans some cool air.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
12GB or 10 GB?

And yeah, the might have been, but i wouldve expected the undervolting to let me hit higher clocks. In the top benchmarks, i see the same cards hit 2000 mhz so its possible with the power limits of this card. I just dont know how.
10gb.
Yeah unlocked I'm about 2010-2040 all the time (max 2085 but it hits power limit all the time), but that's full blast at 380w. I'll play around with it more later.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

10gb.
Yeah unlocked I'm about 2010-2040 all the time (max 2085 but it hits power limit all the time), but that's full blast at 380w. I'll play around with it more later.
Damn, thats pretty impressive. Just overclock it then. You are getting similar scores in port royale that i got with my 12 gb card.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Damn, thats pretty impressive. Just overclock it then. You are getting similar scores in port royale that i got with my 12 gb card.
Oh shit. Yeah, I guess I'll keep the OC then. Then again, the 12gb is only like 3% more.

Playing a little of the new INS update and looking at my clocks, it looks like I can hold 2070 below my power limit, but it wants 1v. Of course it rounds up, so idk where it is exactly. I'd rather have the stability though.
tQfwCXF.jpg

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

EVGA likely gets a sweet deal from nvidia to remain exclusive. They’re usually the most available of the nvidia GPUs.
Oh yeah for sure they get a sweet deal from Nvidia. That was me just living in a dream world. EVGA making AMD GPUs will never happen. But its still fun to dream.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I still have a 8800gt lying around. I wonder if I should pop it in for fun. It is probably going to have a stroke with all of that dust from sitting around in my closet and probably poor chase management back in the day

20211030_151125.jpg
This was my Crysis upgrade, once upon a time.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Microcenter has had some crazy good deals on prebuilts the last week or so.

3080ti in it for $1500. You couldn’t get the card alone for that a few months ago.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
$875 for a Gigabyte 3080 12GB. This is the single best deal I have seen on ANY GPU. If you want a GPU now, it's hard to recommend against this. I don't trust Gigabyte as much as I'd trust someone like EVGA, but at this price it's worth considering. For the record, I have never had any bad experiences with Gigabyte motherboards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom