• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
LvP3MYP.jpg

Fredrik

I feel like this thread needs a new topic. There is no more drought :)
Depends what you want, the 4090 is sold out everywhere at my location at least. 3000 serie cards are easily found though.

Anyhow, I’ve almost finalized my new Lian Li PC now, super-satisfied except for the sound. I need a way to get good sound without headphones. I have an external USB sound card with some kind of distorted noise issues I can’t get rid of, it’s literally humming at the frequency of the screen and with gsync that means an ever changing noise that drives me crazy.
Need recommendation for something I can just plug into the speaker out port.

Macattk15

https://www.newegg.com/hynix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/0RN-00BX-000D3?quicklink=true

Is almost the exact same ram. It's like impossible to find 1rx8 (2nd number on the sticker) ram exactly like yours, but that one from newegg would still work.

https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html#:~:text=For the most part Dual,Single and Dual Rank Memory you can visit this link if you want to learn more about the differences between 1rx8 and 2xr8.

IF YOU DO BUY THE 2rx8 STICK OF RAM, WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT ... PUT IT IN THE PLACE WHERE THE CURRENT RAM IS AND MOVE THE OLD ONE NEXT TO IT.

HMA82GU6DJR8N-XN is the part number from SK Hynix.​

Last edited:
https://www.newegg.com/hynix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/0RN-00BX-000D3?quicklink=true

Is almost the exact same ram. It's like impossible to find 1rx8 (2nd number on the sticker) ram exactly like yours, but that one from newegg would still work.

https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html#:~:text=For the most part Dual,Single and Dual Rank Memory you can visit this link if you want to learn more about the differences between 1rx8 and 2xr8.

HMA82GU6DJR8N-XN is the part number from SK Hynix.​

Awsome thanks , i'll probably order that one!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I feel like this thread needs a new topic. There is no more drought :)
Dunno you know. Looking at 3090 stock on UK retailers (dedicated hardware sellers not Amazon etc.) lots and lots brands of cards still not available.

EDIT: stupid Overclockers website you cannot link to their site apparantly.

EDIT 2: SCAN Computers for example have 4 3090s in stock, 2 makes are second hand / refurb. Other 2 one is Palit other is Gigabyte.

Last edited:

Yerd

Depends what you want, the 4090 is sold out everywhere at my location at least. 3000 serie cards are easily found though.

Anyhow, I’ve almost finalized my new Lian Li PC now, super-satisfied except for the sound. I need a way to get good sound without headphones. I have an external USB sound card with some kind of distorted noise issues I can’t get rid of, it’s literally humming at the frequency of the screen and with gsync that means an ever changing noise that drives me crazy.
Need recommendation for something I can just plug into the speaker out port.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YCXYG...TMsxuUIHfYxrxKS81umlCzqOCZ_oYZzRoCmYEQAvD_BwE

I bought this thing on sale at crutchfield. It has bluetooth, analog and optical input. I was using the analog until I got sick of the noise/ground feedback/coilwhine whatever it was. I switched to optical and it's gone.

It's probably more expensive than most people want in a stereo speaker. But it's pretty damn good.

Fredrik

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YCXYG...TMsxuUIHfYxrxKS81umlCzqOCZ_oYZzRoCmYEQAvD_BwE

I bought this thing on sale at crutchfield. It has bluetooth, analog and optical input. I was using the analog until I got sick of the noise/ground feedback/coilwhine whatever it was. I switched to optical and it's gone.

It's probably more expensive than most people want in a stereo speaker. But it's pretty damn good.
That’s interesting, I can’t place a speaker centered though, need to have 2, one on each side of the table.
But I have to ask, you had the same noise as me on analog? The noise here changes with the screen frequency, higher pitch noise with higher refresh rate, lower pitch with lower refresh. So weird and incredibly annoying.

Last edited:
So I have an old eVGA X58 ATX motherboard with a Xenon 5675 water cooled running at 4.4 GHz. I was gonna do a whole new build with Zen 4 but my friend said he would sell me his 3090 for really cheap so before I upgrade everything, I want to see how much more mileage I can get out of the X58 with a new GPU.

I want to get a new case though. I’ve always wanted a micro ATX build. I really like the Lian Air Mini. I just read it can fit regular sized ATX motherboards? Is that true? I’m thinking I will buy the case now, transfer over all my components into it and when I’m ready to do a new AMD zen 4 build I can buy a micro atx board and use the same case.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I have an old eVGA X58 ATX motherboard with a Xenon 5675 water cooled running at 4.4 GHz. I was gonna do a whole new build with Zen 4 but my friend said he would sell me his 3090 for really cheap so before I upgrade everything, I want to see how much more mileage I can get out of the X58 with a new GPU.

I want to get a new case though. I’ve always wanted a micro ATX build. I really like the Lian Air Mini. I just read it can fit regular sized ATX motherboards? Is that true? I’m thinking I will buy the case now, transfer over all my components into it and when I’m ready to do a new AMD zen 4 build I can buy a micro atx board and use the same case.
Pairing an X58 with a 3090 is a HORRIBLE idea. There is no more mileage to get out of the X58. It's dead, Jim. The card will be so ridiculously bottlenecked that you might as well have a 2060.

Get at least a 5600X or a cheap 11the series Intel, something. Just don't stay on a fucking X58. C'mon man.

Pairing an X58 with a 3090 is a HORRIBLE idea. There is no more mileage to get out of the X58. It's dead, Jim. The card will be so ridiculously bottlenecked that you might as well have a 2060.

Get at least a 5600X or a cheap 11the series Intel, something. Just don't stay on a fucking X58. C'mon man.

Yeah I get that. But my friend is selling me his 3090 for $300. I’m coming from a 970 so it’s going to be a massive upgrade either way. I also don’t game at high resolution. I still have a 1080p monitor, though I will be getting a 4K one soon.

I’m going to do a whole new cpu/ram build soon. I’m just waiting for the zen 4 3d v-cache cpu to come out.

Last edited:

And some of the frame rates this guy is getting maxed on modern games at 4K with this setup look really, really good.

Chiggs

Finding ATX 3.0 PSU with 12+4 pin connector is harder than I thought. I got one and it will be here on Wednesday. I'm not using a bloody adapter with my 4090. :messenger_unamused:

This is how I feel right now, but my ROG Thor 1200 is still good, and the current choices aren't too hot, so I just ordered some cables from CableMod.

Ryder

Thoughts on this 3080rtx custom built PC?

I built this $3000 AUD pc from a PC shop, it was sort of a impulse buy as it looked like a good deal. i can return it as i havent picked it up. My budget originally was around between $2000 to $2500 but i thought this a bit more future proof.

Intel Core i7-12700KF 12C/20T 3.60GHz 25M Cache LGA1700 Processor
MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR5 LGA1700 ATX Motherboard
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio LHR 10GB Graphics Card
Kingston FURY Beast 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR5 5200MHz Memory
Samsung 980 MZ-V8V1T0BW 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
MSI MPG A850GF 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU
MSI MPG GUNGNIR 111R Mid-Tower ATX Case
MSI MAG CORELIQUID C240 ARGB Liquid Cooler
Windows 11 Home

just wondering if the ram is fine at just 16GB.

Jayjayhd34

Thoughts on this 3080rtx custom built PC?

I built this $3000 AUD pc from a PC shop, it was sort of a impulse buy as it looked like a good deal. i can return it as i havent picked it up. My budget originally was around between $2000 to $2500 but i thought this a bit more future proof.

Intel Core i7-12700KF 12C/20T 3.60GHz 25M Cache LGA1700 Processor
MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR5 LGA1700 ATX Motherboard
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio LHR 10GB Graphics Card
Kingston FURY Beast 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR5 5200MHz Memory
Samsung 980 MZ-V8V1T0BW 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
MSI MPG A850GF 80+ Gold Fully Modular PSU
MSI MPG GUNGNIR 111R Mid-Tower ATX Case
MSI MAG CORELIQUID C240 ARGB Liquid Cooler
Windows 11 Home

just wondering if the ram is fine at just 16GB.

They don't make that ram in 8gb modules they only make them 16gb

Leonidas

Only two days till Raptor Lake. Hoping my upgrade process goes smoothly...
Finding ATX 3.0 PSU with 12+4 pin connector is harder than I thought. I got one and it will be here on Wednesday. I'm not using a bloody adapter with my 4090. :messenger_unamused:
Luckily my PSU manufacturer made a modular cable compatible with my 4 year old ATX 2.0 PSU, if I ever do come around to getting a 40-series card.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Only two days till Raptor Lake. Hoping my upgrade process goes smoothly...

Luckily my PSU manufacturer made a modular cable compatible with my 4 year old ATX 2.0 PSU, if I ever do come around to getting a 40-series card.

Delivery date for my new PSU was pushed to November 1st so for the time being I'm using my old 850W PSU with adapters... but it works like a charm.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Hi all, console gamer here. I am trying to enter PC gaming now and bought this pre-built PC: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KP74WY5/?tag=neogaf0e-20 which was not working (white light on VGA) so I returned after trying every troubleshooting option.

Is there any brand or store which you guys would recommend to buy a pre-built PC and also are the specs on that good or should I be looking at some other stuff?

A word of advice: if you can, build your own. I know nothing about pre-builts and I want to keep it that way, I'm sure other users will be able to help.

Hi all, console gamer here. I am trying to enter PC gaming now and bought this pre-built PC: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KP74WY5/?tag=neogaf0e-20 which was not working (white light on VGA) so I returned after trying every troubleshooting option.

Is there any brand or store which you guys would recommend to buy a pre-built PC and also are the specs on that good or should I be looking at some other stuff?
Prebuilds are a good option for starters imho. I'd personally prefer a company that specializes in selling PCs, like this one. But I'm not too familiar with the market, especially in the states.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
6800xt for just $550. Thats the price of a PS5. 2x more tflops. Crazy. I wonder what AMD will price their 40 tflops card at, and whether it will actually perform 2x better than the 6800xt.

MikeM

Did you get it? How is it?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Have a 6900xt arriving early next week, hopefully AMD doesn't (or maybe hopefully it does) release something that blows it out of the water in the $600 range.

manfestival

Have a 6900xt arriving early next week, hopefully AMD doesn't (or maybe hopefully it does) release something that blows it out of the water in the $600 range.
supposedly the performance is 2x of the 6950xt but we are lacking some context in this regard since they are waiting for the big reveal.

side note: my cpu cooler is not functioning properly... gonna try to troubleshoot this bad boy tonight but... otherwise amazon is my friend I suppose. Anyone ever try to RMA anything with Enermax before? I have started the process but getting some thermal paste and reseating everything first and testing everything that way

poppabk

supposedly the performance is 2x of the 6950xt but we are lacking some context in this regard since they are waiting for the big reveal.

side note: my cpu cooler is not functioning properly... gonna try to troubleshoot this bad boy tonight but... otherwise amazon is my friend I suppose. Anyone ever try to RMA anything with Enermax before? I have started the process but getting some thermal paste and reseating everything first and testing everything that way
I mean there is no way that the 7900xt is gonna be $600. I'm more thinking the 7600 or 7700 may be in this range and be substantially faster or have features that the 6900 lacks.
Although if the 8 gig rumors are true for those cards then I'll be happy with my choice.

Last edited:

manfestival

I mean there is no way that the 7900xt is gonna be $600. I'm more thinking the 7600 or 7700 may be in this range and be substantially faster or have features that the 6900 lacks.
Oh i don't think anyone is expecting it to be $600 lol. Especially since the 6900xt MSRP was $1000.

poppabk

Oh i don't think anyone is expecting it to be $600 lol. Especially since the 6900xt MSRP was $1000.
Yeah but the 6900xt is roughly twice as fast as the 6600xt and so if the 7600xt has the same relative proportion - that would put it at the 6900xt level performance. And if the pricing is even close then the 6900xt will be a bad bet. Of course I can always return it, but if the 7600/7700 don't launch until next year it's gonna be too long a wait.

Elitro

Leonidas Leonidas when are you planning on updating the builds? 😁
Planning on building a pc and snatching some deals around black friday, would love some different builds recommendations :)

i've been using a 250GB nvme as my boot drive. it's been more than enough with it rarely going below 140GB free space.

but now i am dual booting linux and i allocated 116GB to both Linux and Windows. Windows now only has about 45GB free space. it'll probably be fine but i am thinking of getting a 500GB drive now and giving both Linux/Windows half each probably ~230GB

my question: my motherboard is only pcie 3.0 but i've saw some good prices on 4.0 drives. obviously i won't get 4.0 speeds but would using a 4.0 drive cause any issues? or should i just stick with 3.0?

i'm not planning on upgrading my pc any time soon and if i were then i'd want a pcie 5.0 drive anyway whenever they come out

thanks!

Last edited:

Yerd

i've been using a 250GB nvme as my boot drive. it's been more than enough with it rarely going below 140GB free space.

but now i am dual booting linux and i allocated 116GB to both Linux and Windows. Windows now only has about 45GB free space. it'll probably be fine but i am thinking of getting a 500GB drive now and giving both Linux/Windows half each probably ~230GB

my question: my motherboard is only pcie 3.0 but i've saw some good prices on 4.0 drives. obviously i won't get 4.0 speeds but would using a 4.0 drive cause any issues? or should i just stick with 3.0?

i'm not planning on upgrading my pc any time soon and if i were then i'd want a pcie 5.0 drive anyway whenever they come out

thanks!
I'd stick with 3.0 if they still sell them. Would be cheaper. 4.0 wouldn't cause any issues either.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let's say you have a system with a z490 mobo and a 10700k, which is pcie 3.0. If you wanted to use a pcie 4.0 nvme ssd which would use a pcie 4.0 x4 slot, could you maybe buy an adapter that would use an x16 pci-e 3.0 slot on your motherboard in order to use the full bandwidth of the 4.0 drive? or is this not possible?

winjer

Gold Member
Let's say you have a system with a z490 mobo and a 10700k, which is pcie 3.0. If you wanted to use a pcie 4.0 nvme ssd which would use a pcie 4.0 x4 slot, could you maybe buy an adapter that would use an x16 pci-e 3.0 slot on your motherboard in order to use the full bandwidth of the 4.0 drive? or is this not possible?

That SSD can be used in a PCIe Gen3 slot. It's retro compatible.
But it will run at Gen3 speeds.

GreatnessRD

Just built my 1st PC ever! Can’t wait to start experimenting with it. I’ve been a console gamer my entire life and a Apple user. What’s the first few games I should boot up to take advantage of the new build?

Parts list:
7950x
DDR5 64gb 6000mhz trident z5 neo
2 tb 980pro SSD
Zotac 4090
Lancool 3 case
42 LGC2
That's some heat right there, mah boi. It don't even matter what you start up to be honest .Everything gonna run like butter, lmao.

poppabk

Just built my 1st PC ever! Can’t wait to start experimenting with it. I’ve been a console gamer my entire life and a Apple user. What’s the first few games I should boot up to take advantage of the new build?

Parts list:
7950x
DDR5 64gb 6000mhz trident z5 neo
2 tb 980pro SSD
Zotac 4090
Lancool 3 case
42 LGC2
Flight sim 2020 in VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom