• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream-Knife

Banned
OK so the tower I have found but my next question is- do I go for an NVME for gaming or just stick with a SATA SSD?
NVME is faster and will work better in the future with DirectStorage and RTX IO.
I am running Cybperunk at 30 FPS right now. It's smooth enough, but kinda blurry because im using Quality DLSS on 1440p. FPS tops out at 38 FPS so I just cap it at 30, but I would like to hit 60 fps in RT heavy games like that.

Avatar is using RT for everything from lighting to shadows and reflection and if 2023 games are all going to go all in on RT then I want to have a 60 fps machine without sacrificing graphics too much.
A 3080 will get 50-60 at 1440p on Cyberpunk with dlss quality and ray tracing. Even a 3090 is 60-80 fps. I'd just wait honestly, assuming the same thing doesn't happen to 40 series cards. With the way games are coming out lately, games are outpacing GPU performance. Seems everyone forgot optimization.

manfestival

I was thinking of picking up a 3080 for around $1000 now that the prices are going down. Nvidia had promised a 80% performance boost over the 2080 which I have, and while DF was able to prove that with their benchmarks, on user benchmark.com I see the performance boost around 60%. I dont know if that is worth another $1000 though I know I can sell my 2080 and get some of it back.

I wanted a better card for the summer but seeing as how nothing is coming out until Starfield in November, it's probably not a bad idea to wait until october to see if i can get a 4080 instead. 150% boost is probably worth $1,000.
Mmmm I can't give you a direct one for one. I had the 2080. I found it a little lackluster at 1440p for my desires. It was so close to what I wanted. Then I waited and waited for the 3080 but eventually ended up with the 6800xt since that is what was available to me. I know it isn't a one for one comparison but the 2080-> 6800xt got me about 60% performance at rasterization or more across the board. Now I know the 6800xt is like maybe MAYBE 5% better overall at 1440p but it depends on your usecase cause if you want 4k gaming... well nothing touches the 3080 and above.

The only problem I foresee with waiting out for the 4080 is that we are getting the 3090 ti just now(likely binning based on that performance boost). While having to JUICE that bad boy to squeeze anymore frames out of it. The market is still grossly overpriced. It hopefully calms down by then. Yet almost all new generation launches still have scalping with the 20 series being the exception due to the bad value proposition at the time. FYI people are getting retail or even less than 25% upcharge on retail currently without having to jump through hoops and ladders. Now I Know it isn't a definitive answer but it might be better to buy now and see if the next generation is even worth it.

Shifty

Just my luck that my decade-old rig would finally die while we're still not fully out of the drought :messenger_weary: work won't wait, so it's time to pay the piper and get in for another decade.

Decided to spec up a high-end AMD build with Cyberpower, only for them to immediately jam a wrench in the works because there' no 6900XT stock - which would have been nice to know before they took my money and put it behind a 3-day refund period.
While they did offer to swap it for a 3080... Bitch i'm trying to escape nvidia's bad linux driver situation, not grandfather myself in even deeper :messenger_loudly_crying:

So it looks like I'll be saying fuck it and building it myself - story of my life. Amazon UK seems like the best deal for everything that wasn't CPU or GPU, so I went with currys and newegg for those respectively.

Looking forward to building it next week, but man, being PC-less is rough. No coding, games, movies, TV, ebooks, comics... I need to go outside and look at some flowers or something :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Just my luck that my decade-old rig would finally die while we're still not fully out of the drought :messenger_weary: work won't wait, so it's time to pay the piper and get in for another decade.

Decided to spec up a high-end AMD build with Cyberpower, only for them to immediately jam a wrench in the works because there' no 6900XT stock - which would have been nice to know before they took my money and put it behind a 3-day refund period.
While they did offer to swap it for a 3080... Bitch i'm trying to escape nvidia's bad linux driver situation, not grandfather myself in even deeper :messenger_loudly_crying:

So it looks like I'll be saying fuck it and building it myself - story of my life. Amazon UK seems like the best deal for everything that wasn't CPU or GPU, so I went with currys and newegg for those respectively.

Looking forward to building it next week, but man, being PC-less is rough. No coding, games, movies, TV, ebooks, comics... I need to go outside and look at some flowers or something :messenger_dizzy:
That's a wild story, but seems fate has been kind to you since you're building it yourself. Probably using better parts than the system intergrator as well. What are your final build specs?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I was thinking of picking up a 3080 for around $1000 now that the prices are going down. Nvidia had promised a 80% performance boost over the 2080 which I have, and while DF was able to prove that with their benchmarks, on user benchmark.com I see the performance boost around 60%. I dont know if that is worth another $1000 though I know I can sell my 2080 and get some of it back.

I wanted a better card for the summer but seeing as how nothing is coming out until Starfield in November, it's probably not a bad idea to wait until october to see if i can get a 4080 instead. 150% boost is probably worth $1,000.

yeah, try and hold out until 4000. Will be much more of a jump for you and feel great!

Shifty

That's a wild story, but seems fate has been kind to you since you're building it yourself. Probably using better parts than the system intergrator as well. What are your final build specs?
I reckon so, yeah - it was one of those 'oh shit need a fix now' moments at first, but it's not wise to rush such a big purchase and I know I'm capable enough to build it myself.

Ended up saving £400 off the grand total in the end, which gave me wiggle room for some nicer parts. Should work out quicker too, since it's all shipping immediately.

The final specs:
Case: Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower, White
Mobo: MSI X570-A Pro
PSU: Corsair RM850x, White
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon 6900XT
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz, White RGB
Rad: Corsair H150i Capellix 360mm, White RGB
Fans: 4x Corsair QL140, White RGB
M2: WD Black SN850 500GB

Along with some fancy braided cabling for the PSU and drives, and the 4x HDDs and 2x SSDs from my old machine.

Final cost was ~£2800 including VAT. Definitely not cheap, but business is good enough that it won't end up putting me on the street.

So it should work out to be quite a beast - the 5950X is a bit overkill for gaming since it favours core count over raw clocks, but should be a boon for compile times and other game dev stuff. The white parts + RGB is pretty ostentatious too, but it's the first time I've had the option so I figure it beats a black box.

My only regret is not being able to hunt down a radiator with 3x 140mm fans for the lower Db, but that seems to be approaching custom enthusiast territory.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I reckon so, yeah - it was one of those 'oh shit need a fix now' moments at first, but it's not wise to rush such a big purchase and I know I'm capable enough to build it myself.

Ended up saving £400 off the grand total in the end, which gave me wiggle room for some nicer parts. Should work out quicker too, since it's all shipping immediately.

The final specs:
Case: Corsair 7000D Airflow Full Tower, White
Mobo: MSI X570-A Pro
PSU: Corsair RM850x, White
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon 6900XT
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz, White RGB
Rad: Corsair H150i Capellix 360mm, White RGB
Fans: 4x Corsair QL140, White RGB
M2: WD Black SN850 500GB

Along with some fancy braided cabling for the PSU and drives, and the 4x HDDs and 2x SSDs from my old machine.

Final cost was ~£2800 including VAT. Definitely not cheap, but business is good enough that it won't end up putting me on the street.

So it should work out to be quite a beast - the 5950X is a bit overkill for gaming since it favours core count over raw clocks, but should be a boon for compile times and other game dev stuff. The white parts + RGB is pretty ostentatious too, but it's the first time I've had the option so I figure it beats a black box.

My only regret is not being able to hunt down a radiator with 3x 140mm fans for the lower Db, but that seems to be approaching custom enthusiast territory.
Oh yeah, that's gonna be a fun time for a long time. And yeah, not too many 420 rads around. The 360mm rad shouldn't be THAT big of a trade off. Firm handshake to you, pimp.

TheAssist

For me its so weird how ever single GPU I look up is in stock, no matter where I look, but the prices are still twice what they should be at this point. Shortage cant be that bad when its available at every single retailer. I know they must have bought some of the stock at high prices but still, this has been going on for month now.

I wonder how demand from the actual consumer side is right now. Excluding miners.

Topher

Gold Member
I was able to grab a RTX 3070 ti from Best Buy for $750 today.

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Topher

Gold Member
Nice man! FE?

Thanks! No, it is a Gigabyte.

Bought it on sale. Geez......the words "on sale" regarding to GPU just doesn't sound right, does it?

Rebuilding my old PC using my Liam Li case. I gave my son my RTX 2080 Super last year because his GPU was ancient and, at the time, upgrading was damn near impossible. I was pretty much convinced I was out of the PC gaming scene with the way things were. Ordering a Ryzen 5600X as well.

Side note: To //DEVIL// //DEVIL// , you were right about that gaming laptop. Thing was hot and loud. Returned it fairly quickly.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Thanks! No, it is a Gigabyte.

Bought it on sale. Geez......the words "on sale" regarding to GPU just doesn't sound right, does it?

Rebuilding my old PC using my Liam Li case. I gave my son my RTX 2080 Super last year because his GPU was ancient and, at the time, upgrading was damn near impossible. I was pretty much convinced I was out of the PC gaming scene with the way things were. Ordering a Ryzen 5600X as well.

Side note: To //DEVIL// //DEVIL// , you were right about that gaming laptop. Thing was hot and loud. Returned it fairly quickly.
Made the right thing returning the laptop. Congrats on the 3070rti. But I would recommend buying the intel i5 12th gen at this point.

Not only they are about the same price kinda brand new , it’s just more powerful cpu and it’s better resale value since it support ddr5.

With that being said you will need a mb and ddr5 . Probably a new cooler too. So it’s really about your budget. If you don’t want to spend that much.

Beside if you buy a z690 motherboard ( the 12th gen intel ) , you will be able to use the same motherboard on intel 13th gen processors if you decided to upgrade in the future. So you are kinda future proofing your self.

Nothing wrong with the 5600x if you already have the set up and don’t feel like spending money. Just don’t expect a high returns for a DDR4 stuff in couple of years if you decided to sell. ( kinda like buying ddr3 these days )

Topher

Gold Member
Made the right thing returning the laptop. Congrats on the 3070rti. But I would recommend buying the intel i5 12th gen at this point.

Not only they are about the same price kinda brand new , it’s just more powerful cpu and it’s better resale value since it support ddr5.

With that being said you will need a mb and ddr5 . Probably a new cooler too. So it’s really about your budget. If you don’t want to spend that much.

Beside if you buy a z690 motherboard ( the 12th gen intel ) , you will be able to use the same motherboard on intel 13th gen processors if you decided to upgrade in the future. So you are kinda future proofing your self.

Nothing wrong with the 5600x if you already have the set up and don’t feel like spending money. Just don’t expect a high returns for a DDR4 stuff in couple of years if you decided to sell. ( kinda like buying ddr3 these days )

Thanks for the advice. I looked into 12th gen Intel and the closest price I came to compared to 5600x was the i5-12400 which is about the same performance wise according to benchmarks I saw on youtube. But yeah, the motherboard and DDR5 memory costs pretty much blow my budget either way. I'm already well over the $1000 I budgeted myself for that laptop.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned

Is DDR5 even worth it yet? Prices are insane and the performance jump in gaming doesn't seem to be there.

GreatnessRD

Is DDR5 even worth it yet? Prices are insane and the performance jump in gaming doesn't seem to be there.

Hell nah DDR5 isn't worth the price yet. If anyone is moving to 12th gen Intel, DDR4 is more than enough unless you're a hellhound and just gotta have DDR5 and don't mind parting with monies that will have you 2-3% better than DDR4. I'm looking at a 12-400 for my living room PC, but for sure DDR4 is going in there, lol.
The other day Amazon had 3080 and 3090 at MSRPs
GPU shortage is basically over. In my area personally, it has been over for about a month in a half. Now we're all just waiting for prices to continually drop, which they have been. Still waiting for the 3060 to drop some more so I can throw that in said living PC build.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Definitely not worth it for gaming right now. Only real argument for it is that you’ll be able to get longer use out of it since Zen 4 and post-13th gen Intel will not support DDR4.

Topher

Gold Member
Prices used to be insane . Now they are much cheaper and about the same prices as ddr4 at least in Canada

DDR5 is around twice as much as DDR4 on newegg. I bought 16 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz for around $70 while the cheapest 8GB DDR5 was $65. I think right now the money is better spent elsewhere unless the goal is an absolute top of the line system.

//DEVIL//

DDR5 is around twice as much as DDR4 on newegg. I bought 16 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz for around $70 while the cheapest 8GB DDR5 was $65. I think right now the money is better spent elsewhere unless the goal is an absolute top of the line system.
True . But if you buy 70$ ram now. You will upgrade sooner or later to ddr5. You will spend more money in total if you count the ddr4 money u paid .
Lol sorry not trying to be your financial adviser . I was at the same place as u last year and just decided to future proof my self and I was happy. Can’t stand the fact of buying ddr4 inferior old ram when 5 is out for the next 5 years . That’s to me just a better opinion. Also check market place as some people sell ddr5 cheaper than retail too

either way 5600x is solid cpu too

Dream-Knife

Banned
True . But if you buy 70$ ram now. You will upgrade sooner or later to ddr5. You will spend more money in total if you count the ddr4 money u paid .
Lol sorry not trying to be your financial adviser . I was at the same place as u last year and just decided to future proof my self and I was happy. Can’t stand the fact of buying ddr4 inferior old ram when 5 is out for the next 5 years . That’s to me just a better opinion. Also check market place as some people sell ddr5 cheaper than retail too

either way 5600x is solid cpu too
Wouldn't you be upgrading to a different socket at that point anyway? DDR5 will get better too, so it would really need upgraded too I would think.

DDR5 alder lake makes sense only if you plan on buying an 8 core raptor lake and you want it at the best performance possible and you're not going to upgrade your Mobo for a long time.

Example ddr5 plus 12400 but with the idea to get an 13900k/13700k later.

Ddr5 should matter more on raptor lake than alder lake.

If you just get a cheap board and 12400, and you are planning on doing a brand new build in the future then ddr5 would obviously be a huge waste.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I get the idea of future proofing, but frankly, I think that can be just as much of a trap as it is a benefit. Tech changes and I know personally that I've been burned by trying to predict the future. So I try to keep my philosophy on PC building simple. Build the best system you can with the budget you have. Generally that has worked will in the past for me.

But I do like future proofing in one respect. My marriage. Cuz divorce is expensive and spending too much money on my video game hobby might cost me a lot more in the end.

To sum up........buy DDR4. Stay married.

Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

DDR5 hasn't matured yet. By the time you would upgrade, DDR5 will be better and cheaper.
Well the idea that you always have to have the best of the best ram is a waste as well.. fast enough + capacity is what really matters. DDR5 on raptor lake is going to matter. Doesn't have to be the ddr5 equivalent of 4400mhz ddr4 on ryzen LOL. Just because ddr5 will get better doesn't mean a 13900k + ddr5 is a waste.

Going with DDR4 is a mistake if you want the most longevity on the fastest intel chips.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Wouldn't you be upgrading to a different socket at that point anyway? DDR5 will get better too, so it would really need upgraded too I would think.
Not for intel 12 and the upcoming 13th gen by the end of the year . So you wouldn’t have to change the motherboard cooler / socket till late 2023 if you really wanted to upgrade then .

As far as ram goes there is always better and faster . But the ddr4 is end of life at this point . Buying one isn’t really the best option lol

Dream-Knife

Banned
Well the idea that you always have to have the best of the best ram is a waste as well.. fast enough + capacity is what really matters. DDR5 on raptor lake is going to matter. Doesn't have to be the ddr5 equivalent of 4400mhz ddr4 on ryzen LOL. Just because ddr5 will get better doesn't mean a 13900k + ddr5 is a waste.

Going with DDR4 is a mistake if you want the most longevity on the fastest intel chips.
That is true, but the uplift with current DDR5 isn't a real jump for gaming vs DDR4. Latency is still really high and the speeds don't make up enough for that. Paying twice as much for the same performance is a waste when you're probably going to upgrade everything anyway.
Not for intel 12 and the upcoming 13th gen by the end of the year . So you wouldn’t have to change the motherboard cooler / socket till late 2023 if you really wanted to upgrade then .

As far as ram goes there is always better and faster . But the ddr4 is end of life at this point . Buying one isn’t really the best option lol
For people that upgrade their system every 6 months I guess. DDR4 being end of life doesn't suddenly make it perform worse. Someone buying a 12600k for gaming wouldn't upgrade to raptor lake anyway if they value cost/performance.

The extra you pay for DDR5 today could be the price of better performing DDR5 when you actually plan to upgrade. DDR5-6000 will be obsolete in a few years.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
DDR5 hasn't matured yet. By the time you would upgrade, DDR5 will be better and cheaper.
Yeah everything I've read suggests that DDR5 is still a couple of years from maturing, so for someone like me who likes to keep a motherboard for five to six years, I feel like sticking with DDR4 would be more worthwhile for the time being.

//DEVIL//

That is true, but the uplift with current DDR5 isn't a real jump for gaming vs DDR4. Latency is still really high and the speeds don't make up enough for that. Paying twice as much for the same performance is a waste when you're probably going to upgrade everything anyway.

For people that upgrade their system every 6 months I guess. DDR4 being end of life doesn't suddenly make it perform worse. Someone buying a 12600k for gaming wouldn't upgrade to raptor lake anyway if they value cost/performance.

The extra you pay for DDR5 today could be the price of better performing DDR5 when you actually plan to upgrade. DDR5-6000 will be obsolete in a few years.
Considering motherboards ( like mine at least ) goes up to 6600 speed for ram. I am ok with. My 12600k for the next 2 to 3 years.

If you want your pc to be in a good state, you gotta do the upgrade maintenance every couple of years.

The other option is just to ride what you have till it’s done for. But then you will need a new complete build and big upfront payment.

Actually Dream-Knife Dream-Knife I changed my mind, you are probably right. I didn't know ddr5 was THAT damn expensive.

I doubt that even on raptor lake, a 200+% price increase for ddr5 over 4 would show justified performance.

I would definitely build an 12400 system with really good ddr4 memory, then upgrade to raptor lake later. Not like ddr4 is going to make the upgrade from 12400 to 13700k/900k suddenly not huge lol.

And hell, we all know how much longevity a 2600k plus ddr3 had going into the PS4 generation.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Actually Dream-Knife Dream-Knife I changed my mind, you are probably right. I didn't know ddr5 was THAT damn expensive.

I doubt that even on raptor lake, a 200+% price increase for ddr5 over 4 would show justified performance.

I would definitely build an 12400 system with really good ddr4 memory, then upgrade to raptor lake later. Not like ddr4 is going to make the upgrade from 12400 to 13700k/900k suddenly not huge lol.

And hell, we all know how much longevity a 2600k plus ddr3 had going into the PS4 generation.

5600x and 12400 are pretty much neck and neck as far performance and price so I think either option is viable. And we don't know what the situation is going to be in the next CPU cycle so predicating that decision on next gen CPU is a bit of a gamble either way. Personally, I'm going to focus on upgrading GPUs long before CPU since I'm going to be gaming at 1440p or higher. But I can see that if someone is gaming at a more CPU bound level then it might play a bigger part of the upgrade decision.

5600x and 12400 are pretty much neck and neck as far performance and price so I think either option is viable. And we don't know what the situation is going to be in the next CPU cycle so predicating that decision on next gen CPU is a bit of a gamble either way. Personally, I'm going to focus on upgrading GPUs long before CPU since I'm going to be gaming at 1440p or higher. But I can see that if someone is gaming at a more CPU bound level then it might play a bigger part of the upgrade decision.
The main reason I would go 12400 is because you have an upgrade path in raptor lake.

Since Ryzen is end of life I would spring for the 5700x 8 core if I were you! Though I am waiting to buy mine until sales, because my 1600af still isn't too shabby.

Topher

Gold Member
The main reason I would go 12400 is because you have an upgrade path in raptor lake.

Since Ryzen is end of life I would spring for the 5700x 8 core if I were you! Though I am waiting to buy mine until sales, because my 1600af still isn't too shabby.

Nah, in gaming you are not going to see much difference between 5600x and 5800x, much less 5700x. We are talking about less than 2% difference in games.

Nah, in gaming you are not going to see much difference between 5600x and 5800x, much less 5700x. We are talking about less than 2% difference in games.
In average fps, but lows will be more stable on the 8 core. And in some games those extra cores do matter for avg. Fps.

And the 8 core gives you more headroom in general. 5700x is for all intents and purposes as good as the 5800x but runs cooler and obviously it's cheaper.

If you need the money the 5600x is good but it's worth it for the 5700x for longevity and frame time smoothness.

Also, if you insist on the 5600x, might as well get the cheaper 5600.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
In average fps, but lows will be more stable on the 8 core. And in some games those extra cores do matter for avg. Fps.

And the 8 core gives you more headroom in general. 5700x is for all intents and purposes as good as the 5800x but runs cooler and obviously it's cheaper.

If you need the money the 5600x is good but it's worth it for the 5700x for longevity and frame time smoothness.

Also, if you insist on the 5600x, might as well get the cheaper 5600.

Benchmarks I saw showed little to no difference in lows. At a difference of $90, I think I made the right decision.

5700x

Both are available already, nice. Both good value chips but I want to see how low they get during sales lol.

I got the 5600x for $209 with the promo code at newegg.

5600x

Last edited:
Benchmarks I saw showed little to no difference in lows. At a difference of $90, I think I made the right decision.

I got the 5600x for $209 with the promo code at newegg.

5600x

That video shows only 1% lows, not 0.1% nor minimum, for starters.

If you're going to keep this thing for a while then the 8 core makes sense. An upgrade in 2 years? Yeah, 5600x is ok.

I don't want to get into a www.mypurchaseisjustified.com argument with you, 5600x is awesome but it's just not true to say the extra cores don't matter. It's a budget part and there's nothing wrong with that. Hell my 1600af 6 core was $85! But I bought it knowing I will upgrade to 8 cores later on the newest architecture.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

If you're going to keep this thing for a while then the 8 core makes sense. An upgrade in 2 years? Yeah, 5600x is ok.

I don't want to get into a www.mypurchaseisjustified.com argument with you, 5600x is awesome but it's just not true to say the extra cores don't matter. It's a budget part and there's nothing wrong with that. Hell my 1600af 6 core was $85! But I bought it knowing I will upgrade to 8 cores later on the newest architecture.

I think we are splitting hairs here in the differences. The video you link from gamer nexus he concludes that he would have been comfortable with either of our decisions. Either way, I'm not questioning your purchase, dude. Certainly didn't intend to come across that way.

For the record, however, I never said extra cores don't matter. Simply, I didn't feel it was worth the additional cash at the moment. And yeah, this was a "budget thing" from the beginning. I tried to be clear about that.

I think we are splitting hairs here in the differences. The video you link from gamer nexus he concludes that he would have been comfortable with either of our decisions. Either way, I'm not questioning your purchase, dude. Certainly didn't intend to come across that way.

For the record, however, I never said extra cores don't matter. Simply, I didn't feel it was worth the additional cash at the moment. And yeah, this was a "budget thing" from the beginning. I tried to be clear about that.
I would be happy with a 5600/x right now too, it's mostly that I want the wiggle room because I plan to keep this cpu for years only upgrading gpu. I spent 200 on an x570 board and I intend to get it's worth lol. And I am sensitive to stutter so I just want the extra headroom even now.

5600x at 209 was a great deal, enjoy 🙂 I am so glad cpu market has competition again, amd got a bit big headed at the 5xxx series launch.

manfestival

Every time I watch those videos I just throw my hands up at anything above 1440p. The differences generally will be insignificant with only a handful of exceptions thanks to higher res being more GPU bound. I think the 3090ti is the only card to squeak out just enough more in some of these CPUs.

If I were to go AMD and look at the 5600 I wouldn't even touch the X and save the lunch money

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Considering motherboards ( like mine at least ) goes up to 6600 speed for ram. I am ok with. My 12600k for the next 2 to 3 years.

If you want your pc to be in a good state, you gotta do the upgrade maintenance every couple of years.

The other option is just to ride what you have till it’s done for. But then you will need a new complete build and big upfront payment.
Different people have interpretations of what 'good state' means.

Imo upgrading your components every couple of years is 'keeping up with the latest and greatest tech', and isnt something that the majority of PC gamers do - only enthusiasts.

Especially if you're playing at 1080p/1440p, and don't 'need' to play every game on extreme graphics settings. In these cases upgrading your GPU every couple of years isn't necessary. Upgrading your CPU/RAM every couple of years is just needless.

Dream-Knife

Banned

I think we've already been through this. Gamersnexus declared the 5600x the best gaming CPU when it came out. Now the 12600k holds that spot.

If you're rendering the extra cores will matter. If you're playing a game they mostly won't.

0.1% low difference in CP2077 at 1080p between the 5600x and 5800x is 10 fps.

0.1% lows were slightly faster on the 5600x vs the 5800x in Far Cry 6 due to the higher single core boost.

I think we've already been through this. .
We certainly have, and we agreed to walk away from the discussion iirc.

What you argue is no different than people who said you don't need hyperthreading on 6600k cpus, but yeah we sure did.

The stutter on 6600k didn't always show up on a graph either.

Btw, 12600k does not count as a 6 core cpu.

Last edited:
For reference there are 5700x vs 5600x vids already up :

In red dead the .1% lows for 5600x came to 52 while it was 67 on 5700x.

And if you don't remember or want to acknowledge ; minimum fps can go lower than .1% lows and this is the most visible stutter.
respectfully, I don't wish to discuss "you only need x amount of cores" anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom