• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the fact that these new RTX 3050s which are notably bad for mining have already been scalped and are being resold for $300-400 more than MSRP is a clear indicator that the GPU market will never return to what it was and this is for all intents and purposes a new normal. As long as scalpers have a way to turn a profit off of these cards even without mining we will never go back. Nvidia and AMD need to be held to a higher standard and fight this.

Out of interest what is your build if you dont mind sharing?
My PC was built very very budget by mainly getting parts from a local big box returns auction house. Most parts were half price or less.
Ryzen 3700x
Asus Rog b550
Corsair cl 16 3600 32gb
Sn850 1tb
3060ti overclocked more like a 3070 haha
500d RGB case I got for 100$ cdn with 5 Corsair RGB 120mm fans. Steal of a deal
650w PSU
Gigabyte m27q monitor
Noctua u12s black
I'm patiently waiting for a 5800x for a bargain

Edit. You can see it on the first page of the share your gaming setup thread. Its the one with all the plants

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It's a crap saying but I'm trying to future proof myself with mine for as long as possible, I'd rather not have to be constantly adding something each year.

It is way over spec for what I need now, but in six to ten months time, who knows. Might even run Crysis.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe it's time for new case.
I have p600s and it's huge and empty inside... and airy and cool. I like how it looks but you know...
I still need to stay within ATX motherboard and PSU since I don't want to rebuy them.
Maybe white case... or no window? or something. No idea.

sGWeV3Y.jpeg
You should get closer to your monitor, how can you even see something from that distance.

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Nitty_Grimes

Hmm, I’m getting fucked over by my parts supplier. Couple of things I ordered have suddenly gone out of stock with April ETA for next stock ffs and the cost we agreed for the ROG 3090 has suddenly had to increase too due to stock issues.

So sorry to waste everyone’s time with my spec and thanks for the replies but I’ve had to put it on hold for a few weeks.

Not happy. Other retailers for the 3090s are the same kind of prices mines been re-quoted at. I didn’t think it was one of those too good to be true moments, was a bit over RRP, but not the extra couple of hundred it is now. Was already over-paying but I’m not gonna get royally fucked over.

Last edited:

Yerd

Hmm, I’m getting fucked over by my parts supplier. Couple of things I ordered have suddenly gone out of stock with April ETA for next stock ffs and the cost we agreed for the ROG 3090 has suddenly had to increase too due to stock issues.

So sorry to waste everyone’s time with my spec and thanks for the replies but I’ve had to put it on hold for a few weeks.

Not happy. Other retailers for the 3090s are the same kind of prices mines been re-quoted at. I didn’t think it was one of those too good to be true moments, was a bit over RRP, but not the extra couple of hundred it is now. Was already over-paying but I’m not gonna get royally fucked over.
Best to find the GPU and build around that. Your post sounded a little too easy. Guess my inclination was right.

Nitty_Grimes

Anyone got any opinions of Zotac as a brand? It’s still the Nvidia chipset after all but the ROG was overlocked more than the Zotac.

Mind you with a 3090 not sure I’m going to notice but the Zotac is cheaper than the ROG so is it literally down to brand name?

Excess

Bought this little USB PC monitor for my build. You can customize it, but I'm sure it's some variant of Aida64. I just wanted a PC monitor that didn't require you to go through HDMI and have to use two monitors to do it.

h2aVzKI.jpg

I asked this in the old thread without an answer:
I recently got a 3080 to replace my 6800. However under memory speed it states 9700mhz. My rx6800 would only do 2000mhz. I assume Nvidia is measuring it differently?
3080 does about 2000 MHz when OC'd. Not sure where you getting 9700 from..

Excess

Memory clock. I've since learned that is the total of the chips on single channel.
T8bPskT.jpg
Ah, yeah. The memory on Ampere cards is faster. GDDR6X as opposed to just GDDR6 on AMD cards. AMD also has Infinity Cache, so none of it is "apples to apples".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've never looked into the effects or benefits/upgrades when it comes to GDDR6X vs AMD's approach but it seems like they're both doing something right.

Clearly NVIDIA is still on top of the heap with their HW and SW suite as well. I could argue for it unlike how Intel changed and AMD took their heat. We are better for it since the competition is good and AMD is rock solid while still having their next chip coming hopefully this year.

buenoblue

I bought a 2070 super in July 2019 with the intention of getting a 3080 when they released. Suffice to say that didn't happen. 2070 super still doing ok and have ps5 but I wanna upgrade but not paying high prices.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I bought a 2070 super in July 2019 with the intention of getting a 3080 when they released. Suffice to say that didn't happen. 2070 super still doing ok and have ps5 but I wanna upgrade but not paying high prices.
lol same. but i bought my rtx 2080 in feb 2019. I think it might be a blessing because these 30 series cards are very power hungry, and not particularly well designed with a pretty shitty performance to tflops ratio. All those shader processors (3x or 200%) and only 80% more performance than a 2080? eh. And 300w+ like wtf lol. Smaller nodes should help bring that back down to 2080 levels. 200w is already pushing it imo. Nvidia cards used to be way more efficient than AMD cards. Smaller nodes should help.

I suspect their newer cards will have better RT and DLSS performance too. Though unless they get sued and the government does something about AIBs selling straight to miners, we arent getting those cards either.

Yerd

I bought a 2070 super in aug 2019 and still have it sitting around. Because I was able to score a 3090FE from bestbuy for MSRP last january. I have been apprehensive to sell it because I have a waterblock on it, and not sure how well received that would be. I just don't feel like reapplying the stock cooler.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I bought a 2070 super in aug 2019 and still have it sitting around. Because I was able to score a 3090FE from bestbuy for MSRP last january. I have been apprehensive to sell it because I have a waterblock on it, and not sure how well received that would be. I just don't feel like reapplying the stock cooler.
I’m sure you will get a premium just keep it all together. You are sitting on gold!

Yerd

I'm also sitting on a white Caselabs SMA8 magnum case. Which is apparently a hot item for watercooling enthusiasts. It's just so big and unwieldy, the reason I am not using it. I saw an ebay listing that sold for 2k.

It's was a $700 case new. Caselabs went bankrupt couple years back, so these cases are nearly unobtainable.

This is one that's just so difficult to ship. When they originally ship it to you, it's all in pieces, each part packed flat on top of one another.
For me to even try that would be like pulling my own teeth.

Warnen

I'm also sitting on a white Caselabs SMA8 magnum case. Which is apparently a hot item for watercooling enthusiasts. It's just so big and unwieldy, the reason I am not using it. I saw an ebay listing that sold for 2k.

It's was a $700 case new. Caselabs went bankrupt couple years back, so these cases are nearly unobtainable.

This is one that's just so difficult to ship. When they originally ship it to you, it's all in pieces, each part packed flat on top of one another.
For me to even try that would be like pulling my own teeth.

You can always take it to a ups store they will deal with packing and shipping for ya, might cost $150 but if selling it for almost triple might be worth it

Ulysses 31

That dude in the Nvidia CES 2022 Special Address said to tune in later this month for more details on the 3090 Ti but there hasn't been anything! :lollipop_confounded:

Tg89

Still trying to get my hands on a 3070/ti at retail and then flip my 3060 for (some/most of) the difference. At this point might just be waiting for a 40 series. Also kind of want to switch out my case, not sure how well either of those cards will fit, current on an h510 with a rad at the front.

Warnen

Still trying to get my hands on a 3070/ti at retail and then flip my 3060 for (some/most of) the difference. At this point might just be waiting for a 40 series. Also kind of want to switch out my case, not sure how well either of those cards will fit, current on an h510 with a rad at the front.

Got a 3060ti for retail and flipped my 3060 for over 2 times it’s cost

It Makes Me Feel Great Season 2 GIF by Rock This Boat: New Kids On The Block

Warnen

yep, problem is finding one at retail.

yeah got lucky at work, everyone left early so put an air pod in and tuned into a youtube stream of rtx stock. Heard the buzzer and got it before sold out.

Dream-Knife

Banned
lol same. but i bought my rtx 2080 in feb 2019. I think it might be a blessing because these 30 series cards are very power hungry, and not particularly well designed with a pretty shitty performance to tflops ratio. All those shader processors (3x or 200%) and only 80% more performance than a 2080? eh. And 300w+ like wtf lol. Smaller nodes should help bring that back down to 2080 levels. 200w is already pushing it imo. Nvidia cards used to be way more efficient than AMD cards. Smaller nodes should help.

I suspect their newer cards will have better RT and DLSS performance too. Though unless they get sued and the government does something about AIBs selling straight to miners, we arent getting those cards either.
Why wouldn't they keep the same power level and the smaller node? More performance and most people don't seem to care.

Nitty_Grimes

Best to find the GPU and build around that. Your post sounded a little too easy. Guess my inclination was right.
Snagged a ROG 3080 now so everything else in the build will be the same decided the 3090 was overkill - might go with 64 gig RAM though cos that’s NOT overkill at all 😂

Nitty_Grimes

Well, congratulations on landing a GPU, and quickly.
Hell it’s still over RRP but I don’t feel I’m getting buttfucked this time. Little over £3k this time.

The 3090 was signed then it was like sorry it’s gonna be like £400 more than we agreed.

It needs to be said again, your absolute best bet to get a 3070/3080/3090 Ti or otherwise is to sign up for EVGAs Elite Member. You will get placed on a GPU waiting list. It may take 6 months, it may take a year, but it is the best option available.

That's what I did and got my 3080 for $800. Can't complain.
Yeah the eVGA queue is the way to go. I got on their step Up queue , after buying a 2060. I waited 8 months for a 3060ti ( I placed my order on step-up at 10:30am announcement day, and still had to wait months... crazy!).
If I didn't do stepup I would of done the regular queue.
Don't know why the other card companies and console sellers aren't doing queues.
If they were i would of put in for a ps5 and had it by now.

I am Keeping my 1650super and 1060 3gb as backup cards. Whats insane as even those low end cards sell for 350-$400 used...

Dream-Knife

Banned
Hell it’s still over RRP but I don’t feel I’m getting buttfucked this time. Little over £3k this time.

The 3090 was signed then it was like sorry it’s gonna be like £400 more than we agreed.
....you spent 3k on a 3080?

Yeah the eVGA queue is the way to go. I got on their step Up queue , after buying a 2060. I waited 8 months for a 3060ti ( I placed my order on step-up at 10:30am announcement day, and still had to wait months... crazy!).
Don't know why the other card companies and console sellers aren't doing queues.

I am Keeping my 1650super and 1060 3gb as backup cards. Whats insane as even those low end cards sell for 350-$400 used...

EVGA changed their que. Now you have points based on what other products you own.

Last edited:

Yerd

Playstation does do it. It's how I acquired my ps5 in november. You register your email and eventually get a message to join a queue to buy it.

Last edited:
Just anecdotally, it looks to me like gpu drops are becoming more frequent and people are posting that they got one by going into stores. It feels like it is easing up a little.
Yeah but real world is not there yet , not even close. Look at newegg. Everything selling out of stock or marked up by scalpers...errr ... resellers companies...errr assholes, lol... The only card really in stock is a 1050ti for $279 discounted from $309... a super low end, 2 gen old card... wtf...

Playstation does do it. It's how I acquired my ps5 in november. You register your email and eventually get a message to join a queue to buy it.

Yeah i just finally got my email from them last week. I hit the link and apparently you have to do it hours early because when i got on to the site (exactly on time) it had a hour wait countdown. Once that went through i was greeted to a ps5 screen that was already "out of stock". I was so sad.

I got the email before months before but I was working and they sent it at like 3am on a Sunday night. I didn't see until Monday afternoon and it was already over. Like I have work and responsibilities. I don't check personal email on a monday morning, and wouldn't of had time to do it. They should give you 24 hour notice at least.

Last edited:

Yerd

Yeah i just finally got my email from them last week. I hit the link and apparently you have to do it hours early because when i got on to the site (exactly on time) it had a hour wait countdown. Once that went through i was greeted to a ps5 screen that was already "out of stock". I was so sad.

I got the email before months before but I was working and they sent it at like 3am on a Sunday night. I didn't see until Monday afternoon and it was already over. Like I have work and responsibilities. I don't check personal email on a monday morning, and wouldn't of had time to do it. They should give you 24 hour notice at least.

I can't help you on that front. It's an extremely in demand item and hard to acquire. If you're serious about getting it, you have to be fast and on the ball. The reality is, the way playstation does it, you're still in a pool of people trying to buy it. Way more than they have stock to fulfill.

In my case the timing was perfect. I'm a truck driver so my entire day usually consists of time that I can't even attempt to look at an internet page. But, I was in a time and place of rest, received the email, was told the next day by 11am I think. I was entering Canada from USA that day. I have no internet in Canada. I was able to put off my driving until after I did this. So I waited until the time, had my card ready to paste in. Got my PS5. It's the same queue system they use for normal stock drops, which I had been trying to get for months already, so I knew the drill.

GreatnessRD

2070 Super is still a workhorse and a super solid card, no pun intended. You should definitely wait for the Hopper/RDNA3 cards since they'll release later this year and supply should get a little better.
Man, you better stop bluffin' and sell that shit as is. People are spending north of $500 for 3050's and 3060's non ti. You could almost ask for a house payment for a waterblocked 2070 Super. 😆

dorkimoe

Finally got my 3080 and getting an ultra wide this week. Do I have to install anything extra to make everything look ok on it?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Anyone here have UPS recommendations?

After a handful of bad power outages and brownouts, coupled with having built a sweet, high-end PC last year, I've decided to grab a nice UPS. I've been looking at the various APC and Cyberpower models. The problem is, going from reviews all of them seem to be massive fire hazards (probably overblown but still worrying). I work like 70 hours a week and don't want to constantly worry the thing is burning my house down. Anyone have issues with their UPS and/or have one they'd recommend as safe/good?

Looking for something with about 900w; sine wave is a plus. $200-300 USD max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom