• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm curious what people think about the availability of next gen. There's apparently a lull in demand now due to the bitcoin crash mostly, but why think the demand won't go back up? It seems there's always some hot new crypto.

(I'm trying to figure out myself whether to buy a 3080 or wait for 4080.)
Trust me, demand is always crazy when a new generation starts. Some people are upgrading from an aging card, some people are buying their first videocard, some are buying just to have the latest and greatest, and then of course you have the miners & scalpers.

Turing (RTX 2000) was considered too expensive when it launched and not much more powerful than the previous generation in rasterized non-ray traced performance, and even it was hard to get for months… and this was all before Covid.

GreatnessRD

I'm curious what people think about the availability of next gen. There's apparently a lull in demand now due to the bitcoin crash mostly, but why think the demand won't go back up? It seems there's always some hot new crypto.

(I'm trying to figure out myself whether to buy a 3080 or wait for 4080.)
I think Next-Gen will be fine for availability. Unless you absolutely need a card right now, I'd say wait. At worst the 3080 will drop in price a little more if you don't like the specs on the 4080 equivalent.

BigBooper

I think Next-Gen will be fine for availability. Unless you absolutely need a card right now, I'd say wait. At worst the 3080 will drop in price a little more if you don't like the specs on the 4080 equivalent.
I'm inclined to do that, but my 980ti is really showing it's age. Need to flip a coin.

BigBooper

Anyone know why Windows 11 is free but I also see Microsoft selling it. Am I missing something?
Is MS selling it? I haven't seen retail packaging yet. They did a similar thing with Win 10 though. Free upgrade as long as you did it within the first year of release or something, or buy it afterward. Playing on the fear of missing out. It was to get everyone into the new store stuff. To get them more into the MS ecosystem.

Is MS selling it? I haven't seen retail packaging yet. They did a similar thing with Win 10 though. Free upgrade as long as you did it within the first year of release or something, or buy it afterward. Playing on the fear of missing out. It was to get everyone into the new store stuff. To get them more into the MS ecosystem.
If you go on newegg you can see it for sale.

rofif

Banned
oh wow. I just checked... I upgraded my pc 07.2019... I genuinely though my pc is maybe a bit over year old :p Even my 3080fe is 09.2020...
3700x, x570 gigabyte aorus elite, be quiet cooling, phaneks p600s case... 2 nvme 3.0 drives (4.0 only was coming out then) and 3080. The pc I feel didn't age a day lol

Excess

So I finally upgrades to Windows 11 on my gaming PC. However, when I went to try out the Auto HDR feature, some games would horribly stutter, specifically GTA V and Witcher 3. Other games, such as Cities Skylines or Assassin's Creed 2 did not cause any. I tried searching up on the issue and I cannot find a single person with the same issue.

Has anyone else with Win 11 experienced this with Auto HDR?

//DEVIL//

Got this for just over $1000 in an "open box" deal from Best Buy:

That's a kick ass laptop for the money. Hell of a lot better option than trying to build these days.
while this is a nice laptop. I generally do not recommend laptops for PC building unless you reallllly travel alllllootttt.
I would rather have an ITX build ( which is what I always do and what I have over a laptop ). simply because of the upgraded parts. specially GPU.

I wouldn't recommend an AMD GPU too. no dlss on a laptop is a killer for me. specially when I can run a specific game with DLSS that will lower my temp and the already high CPU temp.

I am sure your CPU temp will be like 90 degrees on heavy load.. and loud fan noise to boot... yeah nope lol.

Topher

Gold Member
while this is a nice laptop. I generally do not recommend laptops for PC building unless you reallllly travel alllllootttt.
I would rather have an ITX build ( which is what I always do and what I have over a laptop ). simply because of the upgraded parts. specially GPU.

I wouldn't recommend an AMD GPU too. no dlss on a laptop is a killer for me. specially when I can run a specific game with DLSS that will lower my temp and the already high CPU temp.

I am sure your CPU temp will be like 90 degrees on heavy load.. and loud fan noise to boot... yeah nope lol.

In theory, I would agree with you, but any PC build these days is going to cost a hell of lot more than this laptop. Laptops and prebuilts are actually very cost efficient ways of gaming on PC at the moment. I'm playing on a secondary monitor with secondary keyboard and mouse. Works absolutely fine, frankly. Fan noise is certainly no louder than the desktop I used to have.

//DEVIL//

In theory, I would agree with you, but any PC build these days is going to cost a hell of lot more than this laptop. Laptops and prebuilts are actually very cost efficient ways of gaming on PC at the moment. I'm playing on a secondary monitor with secondary keyboard and mouse. Works absolutely fine, frankly. Fan noise is certainly no louder than the desktop I used to have.
that's good to hear about the fan noise. glad you like it bud. enjoy and congrats.

GreatnessRD

oh wow. I just checked... I upgraded my pc 07.2019... I genuinely though my pc is maybe a bit over year old :p Even my 3080fe is 09.2020...
3700x, x570 gigabyte aorus elite, be quiet cooling, phaneks p600s case... 2 nvme 3.0 drives (4.0 only was coming out then) and 3080. The pc I feel didn't age a day lol
I know what you mean. I built my current PC At the end of '20. December to be exact. 3700x, MSI B550, also a Be Quiet Cooler and a Be Quiet 802 case. 6800 XT started with a 3060 Ti on launch. Now For my last hoorah of the AM4 socket, waiting to see those 5800X3D benchmarks to decide if I want to upgrade to that or the normal 5800x. Crazy to think I've owned each generation of AM4 CPUs. A 2000, 3000 and soon to come 5000 series.
Prices are starting to come down and stabilize. You can have a nice setup for roughly $1400-$1600 right now.

Topher

Gold Member
I know what you mean. I built my current PC At the end of '20. December to be exact. 3700x, MSI B550, also a Be Quiet Cooler and a Be Quiet 802 case. 6800 XT started with a 3060 Ti on launch. Now For my last hoorah of the AM4 socket, waiting to see those 5800X3D benchmarks to decide if I want to upgrade to that or the normal 5800x. Crazy to think I've owned each generation of AM4 CPUs. A 2000, 3000 and soon to come 5000 series.

Prices are starting to come down and stabilize. You can have a nice setup for roughly $1400-$1600 right now.

That's good to hear. I've been pretty happy with this laptop for the price I paid. Running Cyberpunk 2077 on ultra 1440p around 100 fps with FSR on.

fatty

My mouse and keyboard have a terrible delay at times. I think my graphics card is causing it because I would have it at times with my old desktop and it is the only thing I transferred over when I built my PC.

I'm in the market for a new one anyways, any decent prices for one that would fit in a Micro-ATX board with this motherboard?

GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO (AM4 AMD/B550/Micro ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/PCIe 4.0/HDMI/DVI/DDR4/Motherboard)

I care more about price than power, as the only games I would be playing right now would be Starcraft 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
My mouse and keyboard have a terrible delay at times. I think my graphics card is causing it because I would have it at times with my old desktop and it is the only thing I transferred over when I built my PC.

I'm in the market for a new one anyways, any decent prices for one that would fit in a Micro-ATX board with this motherboard?

GIGABYTE B550M AORUS PRO (AM4 AMD/B550/Micro ATX/Dual M.2/SATA 6Gb/s/USB 3.2 Gen 2/PCIe 4.0/HDMI/DVI/DDR4/Motherboard)

I care more about price than power, as the only games I would be playing right now would be Starcraft 2, Borderlands, Dragon Age, etc.

Thanks!
is the mouse lag accompanied by "beep" sound?
I had this and it was wallpaper changing in the background causing it on windows 10.

BigBooper

I had this and it was wallpaper changing in the background causing it on windows 10.
I had a similar problem with the beeping when I moved my mouse and the system lagging and eventually freezing. Turns out it was caused by a wireless usb dongle for a corsair headset interfering with another usb device, so when they were both plugged in it would happen. I sold the headset.

Hezekiah

Banned
Trust me, demand is always crazy when a new generation starts. Some people are upgrading from an aging card, some people are buying their first videocard, some are buying just to have the latest and greatest, and then of course you have the miners & scalpers.

Turing (RTX 2000) was considered too expensive when it launched and not much more powerful than the previous generation in rasterized non-ray traced performance, and even it was hard to get for months… and this was all before Covid.
From what I remember the shortages in the 2000 series were nowhere near as long-lasting though, and what's the betting the 4000 series will be another ridiculous paper launch with massive shortages for months and months.

fatty

No beeping. What's weird is when the keyboard acts up, sometimes it will even have phantom keystrokes, or delayed input for 5 seconds. Mouse delay is about 1-2 seconds when it happens.

rofif

Banned
No beeping. What's weird is when the keyboard acts up, sometimes it will even have phantom keystrokes, or delayed input for 5 seconds. Mouse delay is about 1-2 seconds when it happens.
Windows… pc gaming… haha
Try turning off all software. Maybe it’s ghub or synapse etc.

What mouse and keyboard is being used and did you install any software for them?

I had an issue years ago with doom 2016 where the game would lag like crazy because of the Razer Chroma software.

If you didn't install any software for then try upgrading your mobo BIOS.

OZ9000

Banned
Your PC looks set until the next generation of consoles are released.

The only element I am looking to upgrade is my GPU. I require a card which guarantees me 4k60 in every title. I hope the 4070/4080 fits that bill but the power requirements seem absolutely absurd.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Your PC looks set until the next generation of consoles are released.

The only element I am looking to upgrade is my GPU. I require a card which guarantees me 4k60 in every title. I hope the 4070/4080 fits that bill but the power requirements seem absolutely absurd.
Looks like they hit some limit with gpus.
Instead of making faster gpus with less power consumption, nvidia just increases die size and power consumption.
wow... 40xx cards are twice as fast as 30xx cards... with double power consumption probably :p
3080 alone takes more power than ps5

TheUsual

Gold Member
I guess FOMO got to me as I saw Amazon is directly selling a 3070ti for $829.99 and so I bought it. Won't deliver until second week of April.

Seeing a lot more cards for sale in general but pricing still overall high

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah gpu are coming back in stock and prices are coming down a bit. Still some weird shit like 6900 being almost the same price as 6800 .. but the main problem now is do we just wait for the new releases around the corner???

TheUsual

Gold Member
Yeah gpu are coming back in stock and prices are coming down a bit. Still some weird shit like 6900 being almost the same price as 6800 .. but the main problem now is do we just wait for the new releases around the corner???
Definitely a good question. Wait a bit and see what gets announced, grab what we can before there's another drought or buy what's available at the potential sticker shock pricing/power requirements for the next card iterations?

Lillie

I ordered a 3060 RTX OC 12gb Zotac card since I seen it in stock at BB.... I know it's not the best card out there but at the current "MSRP" I decided to go for it since it would be a good upgrade to my GTX 1060 6gb, i usually get the mid-range card

OZ9000

Banned
Instead of making faster gpus with less power consumption, nvidia just increases die size and power consumption.
wow... 40xx cards are twice as fast as 30xx cards... with double power consumption probably :p
Yep. It's a shit way to bring more powerful cards on the market. Next: RTX 5080 requires a nuclear reactor to run.
You can get an Iso from MS themselves. That is why i was confused.
But it will be unlicensed or unactivated.

winjer

Gold Member
Things are slowly improving

GPU prices are at their lowest in 15 months, could fall to ‘attractive’ level already in May

AMD-nVidia-Retail-Price-Trend-2021-2022-v5.png

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
get a 5600g and use it until when hopper releases, then when everyone's selling their ampere shit to get a hopper card ride the wave and get a 3070ti for cheaper than MSRP
bam you're set for the next few years

MacReady13

A question that I want to ask to some of you PC gaming experts- I'm here in Australia and wanting to build a new gaming PC. I am getting a 3070 ti Asus and want a tower (preferably either a mid or full tower) that can fit in the GPU horizontally with a fair bit of clearance for the fans at the front of the case. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. TIA.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was thinking of picking up a 3080 for around $1000 now that the prices are going down. Nvidia had promised a 80% performance boost over the 2080 which I have, and while DF was able to prove that with their benchmarks, on user benchmark.com I see the performance boost around 60%. I dont know if that is worth another $1000 though I know I can sell my 2080 and get some of it back.

I wanted a better card for the summer but seeing as how nothing is coming out until Starfield in November, it's probably not a bad idea to wait until october to see if i can get a 4080 instead. 150% boost is probably worth $1,000.

Dream-Knife

Banned
A question that I want to ask to some of you PC gaming experts- I'm here in Australia and wanting to build a new gaming PC. I am getting a 3070 ti Asus and want a tower (preferably either a mid or full tower) that can fit in the GPU horizontally with a fair bit of clearance for the fans at the front of the case. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. TIA.
What is your price limit?
I was thinking of picking up a 3080 for around $1000 now that the prices are going down. Nvidia had promised a 80% performance boost over the 2080 which I have, and while DF was able to prove that with their benchmarks, on user benchmark.com I see the performance boost around 60%. I dont know if that is worth another $1000 though I know I can sell my 2080 and get some of it back.

I wanted a better card for the summer but seeing as how nothing is coming out until Starfield in November, it's probably not a bad idea to wait until october to see if i can get a 4080 instead. 150% boost is probably worth $1,000.
I think the performance boost is 40-60%. What performance do you want that you're not getting with your current card?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What is your price limit?

I think the performance boost is 40-60%. What performance do you want that you're not getting with your current card?
I am running Cybperunk at 30 FPS right now. It's smooth enough, but kinda blurry because im using Quality DLSS on 1440p. FPS tops out at 38 FPS so I just cap it at 30, but I would like to hit 60 fps in RT heavy games like that.

Avatar is using RT for everything from lighting to shadows and reflection and if 2023 games are all going to go all in on RT then I want to have a 60 fps machine without sacrificing graphics too much.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Ya noticed this with CPUs and GPUs. Its pretty annoying. im not trying to increase my energy bill just to play a better looking game. They really need to figure that one out. I know its not easy but this direction is not sustainable.

MikeM

Love that prices are falling right before the launch of new GPUs. Trying to hold out on my build until they launch.

MikeM

Ya noticed this with CPUs and GPUs. Its pretty annoying. im not trying to increase my energy bill just to play a better looking game. They really need to figure that one out. I know its not easy but this direction is not sustainable.
Since power draw won’t scale with performance, that performance per watt metric will likely be disappointing. Curious to see how it plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom