• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I can only speak for myself, but late 2021/early 2022 I hit point that I didn't feel the urgency to get a 3000-series card anymore. After I got a Steam Deck I cared even less about getting one. Now with cards in-stock and easy to get, and crypto crashing, I'd rather just sit back and watch it all burn.

I'd consider buying some used mining cards at a good price to replace the RX 470 4GB mining cards I got for my kids' PCs back in early 2020 for $70. Price point that I'd bite at would be $150 3060, $250 3070, and $350 3080. Otherwise, the miners can just shove them up their asses and sit on them forever for all I care.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I can only speak for myself, but late 2021/early 2022 I hit point that I didn't feel the urgency to get a 3000-series card anymore. After I got a Steam Deck I cared even less about getting one. Now with cards in-stock and easy to get, and crypto crashing, I'd rather just sit back and watch it all burn.

I'd consider buying some used mining cards at a good price to replace the RX 470 4GB mining cards I got for my kids' PCs back in early 2020 for $70. Price point that I'd bite at would be $150 3060, $250 3070, and $350 3080. Otherwise, the miners can just shove them up their asses and sit on them forever for all I care.
Maybe Steam Deck reminded you what gaming is about after all ?

I'm scared the bots will buy all the 4000 series cards and sell for double the msrp or more. I can find new 3080 ti's for a little less than the msrp. You think I should still wait?
If you can wait, I would wait. The bots will buy most of them, true. But there's no way they're as hard to get as the 3080 series. At least that's what I'm reading/hearing (for a variety of reasons which you can google, most of which have probably already been mentioned in one of the threads on this forum). Again, if you can afford to wait. If worst comes to worst though, you will get a better deal on the 3000 series later.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned

The 3000 series are almost 2 years old I wouldn't get one now either. You'll be able to get one at the price you want if you wait long enough.

If you can wait, I would wait. The bots will buy most of them, true. But there's no way they're as hard to get as the 3080 series. At least that's what I'm reading/hearing (for a variety of reasons which you can google, most of which have probably already been mentioned in one of the threads on this forum). Again, if you can afford to wait. If worst comes to worst though, you will get a better deal on the 3000 series later.
That's what was said in 2020. Wait til 3000 series they said. Next thing you know supply issue and etherum skyrocketed. Bit coin goes in waves (I wish it would stay dead, imo).
Bots and unknown issues, plus you have no idea what msrp is going to be for those cards. I read the tea leaves and got a 2060 in Nov of 2020. A week later everything was gone. Then 3060ti came out and I was there for step up on day 1.....8 months later to get the card., but glad I did or I would of had to wait until 2022.

Honestly I'd get that 3080 if you can afford. Make sure you get evga so you can step up when 4000 comes out.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

AMD-nVidia-Retail-Price-Trend-2021-2022-v9.png

Sadly, this is still not true for several EU countries. Quite a few are still lagging behind in price drops.
Fortunately, the trend is to get lower and lower.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's what was said in 2020. Wait til 3000 series they said. Next thing you know supply issue and etherum skyrocketed. Bit coin goes in waves (I wish it would stay dead, imo).
Bots and unknown issues, plus you have no idea what msrp is going to be for those cards. I read the tea leaves and got a 2060 in Nov of 2020. A week later everything was gone. Then 3060ti came out and I was there for step up on day 1.....8 months later to get the card., but glad I did or I would of had to wait until 2022.

Honestly I'd get that 3080 if you can afford. Make sure you get evga so you can step up when 4000 comes out.
The waiting advice is rarely correct.
Want something, get it if you can.
If Inwaited for 3070 fe as I initially wanted and didn’t got for 3080fe when I did , I would still have 2070.

MikeM

If Inwaited for 3070 fe as I initially wanted and didn’t got for 3080fe when I did , I would still have 2070.
The next gen cards are right around the corner. Given the upcoming recession and interest rate hikes, i’d say that supply of the new cards will be better than what was experienced previously

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The next gen cards are right around the corner. Given the upcoming recession and interest rate hikes, i’d say that supply of the new cards will be better than what was experienced previously
Let’s hope. Maybe it is a good idea to wait. But best to have backup plan

Dr.D00p

Given the upcoming recession and interest rate hikes, i’d say that supply of the new cards will be better than what was experienced previously

Nice theory but the Entertainment Sector, in all its forms, including gaming, is historically pretty much recession proof and the new Nvidia 4xxx & Radeon 7xxx cards will be the first upgrade for many PC Gamerrs in two or three generations, So many people just gave up on trying to get a card in the last 2yrs that the pent up demand for these new cards is going to be huge.

...We're still not going to be in the situation where you can just visit a store, physical or online, and pick the card you want, any time you want, until well into 2023.

GreatnessRD

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Just bought a new mouse (Off Amazon for $40 though) Had the Corsair Harpoon but its starting to double click after almost 2 years of use. Kinda wild, but it was like $20 when I bought it end of '20. Wanted to stay in the Corsair ecosystem out of being a product of habit. Just hope this mouse isn't cheeks, lol.
Corsair mouses for me have been awful. Half the time they don't initialize when I boot the system and I have to unplug them and replug them. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but its annoying.

winjer

Gold Member

We are at a time when each GPU generation lasts for PC last 2 years. And this time is almost up.
But now we are just a few months away from the next generation. So unless someone is really desperate to get a new GPU, it's better to just wait a few months.
By this fall, we'll get much better performance for the same price of current gen cards.

GreatnessRD

Corsair mouses for me have been awful. Half the time they don't initialize when I boot the system and I have to unplug them and replug them. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but its annoying.
Ouch, yeah, that has to be annoying. My next big system upgrade (likely '25 or '26) I'll probably opt for a custom keyboard and logitech mouse or something. Maybe steelseries.

MikeM

Nice theory but the Entertainment Sector, in all its forms, including gaming, is historically pretty much recession proof and the new Nvidia 4xxx & Radeon 7xxx cards will be the first upgrade for many PC Gamerrs in two or three generations, So many people just gave up on trying to get a card in the last 2yrs that the pent up demand for these new cards is going to be huge.

...We're still not going to be in the situation where you can just visit a store, physical or online, and pick the card you want, any time you want, until well into 2023.
Crypto mining was the wildcard. With the recent crashes of the currencies, I think that alone will ease the supply issues for normal consumers.

Hezekiah

Banned
Next gen nvidia cards are delayed so it won't be as soon as you expect. I'm still looking for a 3080 because of power efficiency.
According to the most recent information, the launch of the RTX 4090 has been moved from August to September, the RTX 4080 to October, and the RTX 4070 to November reports videocardz.
Still not worth buying a 3080 based on one month delays.

Tg89

I'm targeting a 4070 personally. I was forced to build last year when cards were at their worst so I've got a 3060XC atm. It does the trick, but I think a 4070 will set me up nicely for the forseeable future @ 1440.

Gp1

Ok guys.
Last weekend my prehistoric DDR 3 rig went kaput and now I was forced to upgrade.

Should I go for a DDR 5 kit (something in line of a i5 12400 +b660) or DDR 4 (anything else)?

Ok guys.
Last weekend my prehistoric DDR 3 rig went kaput and now I was forced to upgrade.

Should I go for a DDR 5 kit (something in line of a i5 12400 +b660) or DDR 4 (anything else)?
In your case I might consider ddr5 if you are going to use this rig for just as long. I haven't looked into the sweet spot for ddr5 speed to price ratio.

Ddr4 is a much better value though, I'd just go for that personally - ddr4 3200mhz cl16 32gb. For sure go with either the i5 12400 or the i3 12100, because even the latter will be much better than whatever you had before, and you have an upgrade path - Intel 13th gen, so you won't be stuck on that i3. Last I checked that i3 12100kf was $107. I5 12400 if you plan on using that chip for at least a couple years.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
That’s a bit over dramatic over almost nothing yet.
The one thing I agree is that it’s cheating for gpu makers to just make more power demanding cards… what’s the achievement here if the gpu takes 400 watts?!
My ftw3 3080 takes 400w with the stock bios and power slider up 5% at 2085 mhz.

It's not almost nothing if your PSU can't handle that spike.

Last edited:

twilo99

Should I

5600x -> 5800x3d
6800xt -> RDNA3 equivalent

or upgrade the whole thing to the new AMD platform?

The system already has 32gb of 3800MHz RAM

I might be alright with the upgrade for another 20 months or so for 1440p

Dream-Knife

Banned
Should I

5600x -> 5800x3d

Are you CPU bound?

What do you want more of from your GPU?

twilo99

Are you CPU bound?

What do you want more of from your GPU?

I want to run the new cod at 1440p/165fps , I guess I'll see how my current set up does with it first, but I feel like it might fail.

And then we have warzone 2, and if its anything like the current game, its very CPU heavy

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Should I

5600x -> 5800x3d

Would sit out the RNDA3 and next cpu gen. No point in upgrading every gen.

Last edited:

manfestival

I want to run the new cod at 1440p/165fps , I guess I'll see how my current set up does with it first, but I feel like it might fail.

And then we have warzone 2, and if its anything like the current game, its very CPU heavy
Definitely wait. I have a 12600k, 165hz monitor, and 6800xt. I can USUALLY get that little bit extra from OCing with a little undervolt. Haven't been playing warzone but definitely gonna be playing MW2 2022. RDNA3 likely won't be out by then anyways. 5800x3d would still require the wait to see if it is worth it

Plus AMD has been killing it with their drivers.... albeit the situation is weird since their best drivers are OPTIONAL and have to be manually downloaded.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned

Both CPUs can get 180+ FPS in warzone

So I imagine any limitations you would have would be your GPU and settings. I'd wait for it to come out and run your own benchmarks and compare it to others.

Plus AMD has been killing it with their drivers.... albeit the situation is weird since their best drivers are OPTIONAL and have to be manually downloaded.
Very surprising. Last year it was nothing but problems with them.

Last edited:

manfestival

Yeah I remember this being an issue for you in the past. Not sure what to say in your case. My only real driver issues were when I first got my 6800xt like over a year ago. Only thing right now that I see coming up as an issue from reports is that the 6900xt has driver issues in fortnite that cause stuttering and the suggested solution is a rollback to february. I run the same driver and I have some stuttering at the beginning of matches but every other game is fire.

FYI I had a ton of issues with my 2080 when I got that back in 2018 or whenever it was that I had it. Had to rollback drivers all of the time since they were constantly buggy. Even my buddies that had 2080ti cards back then had to do the same when we were playing CODMW19.

Point being, it is hard to say if the issue is just your card, that AIB, or software(driver) related. Lord knows how glad I was to sell my 2080. That stupid card felt cursed. It even performed worse than my friends 2070 super. Even customer support told me that I had also won the silicon lottery but not in a good way. Decided to keep the card despite this(at the time).

Last edited:

Rbk_3

So I imagine any limitations you would have would be your GPU and settings. I'd wait for it to come out and run your own benchmarks and compare it to others.

AMD GPUS are not great in Warzone. They can get higher highs and a higher average than an equivalent NVIDIA card, but the 1% lows are much worse and overall the frametimes are not as smooth so despite a higher average it just doesn't feel as smooth. Just check the RTSS frametime graph on that 2nd 6800XT video. A lot of spikes. For comparison, my 12900KS and 3090 the frametime graph is pretty much smooth. I can take a video tonight. Their CPUs also suffer from lower lows compared to their Intel equivalents, but not to the extent of their GPUS.

Dream-Knife

Banned
AMD GPUS are not great in Warzone. They can get higher highs and a higher average than an equivalent NVIDIA card, but the 1% lows are much worse and overall the frametimes are not as smooth so despite a higher average it just doesn't feel as smooth. Just check the RTSS frametime graph on that 2nd 6800XT video. A lot of spikes. For comparison, my 12900KS and 3090 the frametime graph is pretty much smooth. I can take a video tonight. Their CPUs also suffer from lower lows compared to their Intel equivalents, but not to the extent of their GPUS.
I used those videos to compare CPUs as the guy I'm responding to has a 6800xt.

Yerd

That’s a bit over dramatic over almost nothing yet.
The one thing I agree is that it’s cheating for gpu makers to just make more power demanding cards… what’s the achievement here if the gpu takes 400 watts?!

I wouldn't call it nothing. I haven't watched the entire video, but I got to the point where he said it's mostly SFF psu's that are at risk. Which is my main category of systems. When all your systems are based in the most at risk parts, I think it's a pretty important issue to be aware of.

My current main system is running a i9-9900 and 3090 on a sfx-L 1000w PSU, so I think I'm safe. But, I'm building a secondary system with a 750w sfx to run a 3080 or if I wait, whatever equivalent next gen card. The i9 system was originally running on that 750w but the fan was running all the time, so I upgraded. Previous 2070s never ran the fan. It made me nervous about the power draw. I never ran into a situation that spiked my system into shutdown, but I'm sure it would have if I stayed in the 750.

Should I

5600x -> 5800x3d

The x3D is great but since you already have a zen 3 chip, maybe not. It will be a big jump in many games but 5600x is still very good.

If you had an older Ryzen and hadn't already jumped to 5600x I would say for sure get the x3D. But just wait for the next Intel socket and for am5 to mature. I agree with Kenpachii Kenpachii .

I upgraded from a 1600af to an x3D which is huuuuge.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wouldn't call it nothing. I haven't watched the entire video, but I got to the point where he said it's mostly SFF psu's that are at risk. Which is my main category of systems. When all your systems are based in the most at risk parts, I think it's a pretty important issue to be aware of.

My current main system is running a i9-9900 and 3090 on a sfx-L 1000w PSU, so I think I'm safe. But, I'm building a secondary system with a 750w sfx to run a 3080 or if I wait, whatever equivalent next gen card. The i9 system was originally running on that 750w but the fan was running all the time, so I upgraded. Previous 2070s never ran the fan. It made me nervous about the power draw. I never ran into a situation that spiked my system into shutdown, but I'm sure it would have if I stayed in the 750.
You got a pointless 3090 in an Sff build. That’s not the most common scenario ;)

Yerd

You got a pointless 3090 in an Sff build. That’s not the most common scenario ;)
It's not pointless to me. It does 4k with ease, bought at msrp when the drought was at it's highest.

The point was my 2nd system that is a common setup. 750w psu and the recommended power for a 3080. The 4xxx will draw more power. Unless 4070 can match a 3080 in power and power efficiency I will be getting a 3080 and possibly a new PSU again.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not pointless to me. It does 4k with ease, bought at msrp when the drought was at it's highest.

The point was my 2nd system that is a common setup. 750w psu and the recommended power for a 3080. The 4xxx will draw more power. Unless 4070 can match a 3080 in power and power efficiency I will be getting a 3080 and possibly a new PSU again.
It’s a god card. Except is 10% faster than twice cheaper 3080. And it’s wattage haha.
But good for you. 3080 got fkd with 10gb vram

Celcius

°Temp. member
Aren't you the same guy that was calling the 3090 a waste for gamers and pointless earlier in either this thread or another thread? lol
As you can see, a lot of us here use 3090's for gaming.

--------
Ugh Asus ArmoryCrate and AuraSync suck. I just spent 1.5 hours just trying to change the RGB colors on my motherboard (the apps wouldn't install, then when you uninstall them they leave stuff installed, ArmoryCrate installed like five million different background services, AuraSync wouldn't start, ArmorCrate couldn't detect any RGB devices, etc...). Finally I gave OpenRGB a try and was done in like 10 seconds.

Asus makes great hardware but I'm never using those first 2 programs again. Sigh.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Aren't you the same guy that was calling the 3090 a waste for gamers and pointless earlier in either this thread or another thread? lol
As you can see, a lot of us here use 3090's for gaming.

--------
Ugh Asus ArmoryCrate and AuraSync suck. I just spent 1.5 hours just trying to change the RGB colors on my motherboard (the apps wouldn't install, then when you uninstall them they leave stuff installed, ArmoryCrate installed like five million different background services, AuraSync wouldn't start, ArmorCrate couldn't detect any RGB devices, etc...). Finally I gave OpenRGB a try and was done in like 10 seconds.

Asus makes great hardware but I'm never using those first 2 programs again. Sigh.
Yes? Maybe? I don’t remember.

3090 is amazing. It’s just a terrible, stupidly bad deal.

But yes. I absolutely think 3090 is a waste of power and money compared to its performance gain over 3080. Eapecially 3080ti.

I don’t think it’s a controversial take. Have you seen 3090 reviews? :p it’s a product more for people who need more vram. Gamers can save a lot of money, get 3080 and have the same experience.
It was a no brainier at release date.
Card that’s 800 more expensive and delivers 10% more fps maaaybe. And 24gb vram? Not essential for gamers.
I playe 4k120 with 3080 and I never ran out of vram. Re2 remake is having some crash once but it’s the game fault. Anything else runs spotless.

I know 3090 owners are defensive and all and it’s ok. If you people have the money, go for it. It’s an amazing card.
I am just saying it’s pointless for gamers and unreasonable purchase.
Maybe some rendering software needs this vram. But gaming? No. Maybe in few years but you will switch to 40 or 50 card anyway.

Edit: btw. I didn’t want any of this discussion. You forced my hand to say this “controversial” opinion. So don’t attack me over that now will you. Have your card. It’s great. I envy you.
I expect you to post some super counter argument with some very niche game that takes more vram now. You dont have to defend the 3090. I understand it’s good :p
Peace!

Last edited:

draliko

Should I

5600x -> 5800x3d

stay with the 5600x unless you're certain that you're cpu bound, as for gpu i'd wait some real bench, maybe preorder on amazon or somewhere whit easy refound policy. I won't go with ddr5 for at least another 24 months... top ddr4 still beat ddr5 without considering the price/perf advantage... you have a very high end build, i'd wait some real evidence any upgrade would be usefull

Banned
Should I

5600x -> 5800x3d

why would you need anything above a 5600X? do you use it as a workstation? because unless you are an absolute pro CS:GO or Valorant player you don't need anything better than a 5600X

I bought a Dualsense controller to use on my PC only to find out that even Final Fantasy intergrade doesn't support it unless WIRED wtf.

Sometimes it annoys me how bad PC ports still are.

Ozriel

M$FT
I bought a Dualsense controller to use on my PC only to find out that even Final Fantasy intergrade doesn't support it unless WIRED wtf.

Hope this type of issue isn’t widespread. I picked up a Dualsense specifically for PC gaming

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wireless support for Sony controllers on PC hasn’t been so great in my experience. I always use them wired but my PC is right next to me anyway so it’s no big deal for me.

Last edited:

manfestival

What's going on here? Open source driver on windows? That's the way to go on Linux.
Not too sure. May was when they introduced this whole optional driver thing. Lots of clickbait videos about how AMD provided free FPS boosts(which is true) for DX11 titles but it is clickbait since it isn't even on their main supported driver.

I bought a dualsense recently from that sale myself. Bought a 360 controller years ago for PC use for the reason. However, I was disappointed by the lack of support and the fact that you have to jump through so many hoops to get the dualsense to work for PC. Even in steam, by default only some games recognized the controller. I had to use the Big Steam trick in order for it to work with my other games. Sadly, the other stores do not have support for Dual Sense. DS4 windows is your friend but even that is hit or miss with some titles(I have weird issues with some games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom