• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boards pci slot is bust so need new PC now.
Well, shoot.

In that case, imo, 12700k now, and if you feel like it, wait for fire sale on 13900k in the future (maybe it gets really cheap, ya never know. 9900k hit $300 at one point) if you don't feel like changing your motherboard yet. But you could easily just wait til 14 or 15th gen to be honest.

Realistically 12700k should be good for high fps, 120+ gaming the whole generation, unless some console developer gets crazy and uses the whole CPU for a 30fps game, lol.

Jayjayhd34

Realistically 12700k should be good for high fps, 120+ gaming the whole generation, unless some console developer gets crazy and uses the whole CPU for a 30fps game, lol.
I ordered the i9 12900k and corsair dominator platinum ddr5 6200mhz with corsair mp600 Pro xt 2tb plus 1tb of same drive fractual torrent 1000 watt psu and corsair h100 Aio cooler.

I ordered the i9 12900k and corsair dominator platinum ddr5 6200mhz with corsair mp600 Pro xt 2tb plus 1tb of same drive fractual torrent 1000 watt psu and corsair h100 Aio cooler.
Enjoy! That is one bad ass computer.

What graphics card do you have / planning on getting?

Jayjayhd34

Enjoy! That is one bad ass computer.

What graphics card do you have / planning on getting?
I have rtx 3080 12gb sat in box that's how found out my pci port was broke I thought it was graphics card at first went try new one and same thing happened tested them both on my mates computer and both cards are fine

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Next upgrade in 2026.
You are more than sorted unless you do CPU rendering for a very long time.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Since you basically just bought an entire PC, you should pick up a board for your current PC and throw your old GPU in it. Use it as a server or something. TV PC perhaps?

FrozenFlame

I'm not really sure if I'm going to buy a new PC since my gaming mood (and time) has diminished, but just wondering, considering how high the prices are (especially for europe), would this be a decent machine for 1080p/1440p?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3,8 GHz 32 MB L3
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PRO AMD B550 Socket AM4 ATX
G.Skill Trident Z RGB Kit 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200Mhz
Kingston Technology NV1 M.2 1TB PCI Express 3.0 NVMe - SNVS/1000G
ASUS Phoenix PH-RTX3060-12G-V2 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
Cooler Master MasterWatt 650W ATX

1 479,95€

Leonidas

Dammit, been having some issues with my Zen3 rig lately. Bluescreens occur sometimes daily, at least a few times a week. Even with my CPU and RAM at their default values I still get the errors... not sure what to do. Thinking I should RMA the CPU.

It's too bad I no longer have another CPU laying around to see if that is the issue... I've never experienced BSODs this frequently.

hinch7

Dammit, been having some issues with my Zen3 rig lately. Bluescreens occur sometimes daily, at least a few times a week. Even with my CPU and RAM at their default values I still get the errors... not sure what to do. Thinking I should RMA the CPU.

It's too bad I no longer have another CPU laying around to see if that is the issue... I've never experienced BSODs this frequently.
Be mindful that it may not even be your CPU and it may be your RAM. Moreover, your CPU/motherboard's compatibility with your RAM.

Ryzen systems are notorious for being finicky/picky with RAM. It just doesn't like some RAM configs. If you have a spare kit or have access to one try swapping it out and see if that helps. Or try reseating them in different channels, single dimm slot config etc and see if it stops the blue screens.

Leonidas

I'm not really sure if I'm going to buy a new PC since my gaming mood (and time) has diminished, but just wondering, considering how high the prices are (especially for europe), would this be a decent machine for 1080p/1440p?

1 479,95€

Yeah that'd be a great 1080p/1440p machine, though with GPU prices coming down you may be able to get an even better deal for a similar spec system soon.

Be mindful that it may not even be your CPU and it may be your RAM. Moreover, your CPU/motherboard's compatibility with your RAM.

Ryzen systems are notorious for being finicky/picky with RAM. It just doesn't like some RAM configs. If you have a spare kit or have access to one try swapping it out and see if that helps. Or try reseating them in different channels, single dimm slot config etc and see if it stops the blue screens.
The RAM was fine with my last Ryzen CPU. And it was fine in this one for almost a year, the issues popped up recently. I've reseated the RAM and all MOBO cables. My system went very long stretches without any issues, till recently.

The only thing I haven't done is re-install Windows, which I don't plan on doing as it would be a great hassle in my current situation.

Yerd

Yeah that'd be a great 1080p/1440p machine, though with GPU prices coming down you may be able to get an even better deal for a similar spec system soon.

The RAM was fine with my last Ryzen CPU. And it was fine in this one for almost a year, the issues popped up recently. I've reseated the RAM and all MOBO cables. My system went very long stretches without any issues, till recently.

The only thing I haven't done is re-install Windows, which I don't plan on doing as it would be a great hassle in my current situation.
Try a new install on a spare drive. Did you try running a single dimm if you have dual? One could be bad and one still good.

I have a nonfunctioning RTX 3080 that I'm going to prod with the ol' multimeter tomorrow. Hopefully I discover the fault?

In stress testing I've managed to make cores on my 5600X crash. Specifically, core 2 crashes at stock settings in stress tests. In your case though, it sounds like a more severe issue

1 479,95€
I recommend Intel since you're building with a new board but if you were to build on am4 because it's cheaper in your region or something, don't get the 5800x, get the 5700x as it's virtually the same performance and I mean less than 5% difference, but cheaper and runs cooler.

I'd probably wait a bit and see if that 3060 drops in price.

Athreous

Guys, please, with the 40xx series coming and the advent of 2k by PS5, what would be a good PC setup for 2k gaming and a good 2k monitor that would satisfy both console and pc?

I`m trying to keep as cheap as possible, but as long as it`s good enough to last a few years in 2k, 60 fps with ultra or almost ultra settings.

GreatnessRD

Guys, please, with the 40xx series coming and the advent of 2k by PS5, what would be a good PC setup for 2k gaming and a good 2k monitor that would satisfy both console and pc?

I`m trying to keep as cheap as possible, but as long as it`s good enough to last a few years in 2k, 60 fps with ultra or almost ultra settings.
First things first. What's your budget?

60fps and cheap as possible? I3 12100 CPU, that's the cheapest and an awesome cpu for targeting 60fps.

Gpu is trickier, compare the 6600xt and rtx 3060 prices in your region, then decide if you care about the extra ray tracing performance on 3060 or not.

I can tell you that from my own use that the 3060 is a really capable 1440p60 card. And since you're cutting costs, you can get 16gb of ddr4 now (make sure the motherboard you get can use ddr4) and upgrade later, but ddr4 is really cheap right now so honestly I'd just get 32gb and never have to worry about it imo. You can always upgrade that cpu years later.

Monitors I'm not sure, check out hardware unboxed reviews.

Last edited:

hinch7

Yeah idk, I changed my RAM from one set up to another and it didn't like it. I guess there may be a fault with your CPU but they are such a rare occurrence. I guess there no harm in returning/rma'ing it.

True, could also be Windows. I'd personally try a fresh install to narrow down possible point of failures because sometimes you just need to wipe it all clean, particualrly if coming from a old build. Updates can cause issues down the line.

Granted they aren't out til later this year.. an educated guess would be going for the next generation of mid range stuff.. Intel's i5 13600K and AMD's Ryzen 7600X. Which should be some of the the best bang for buck for next CPU's in terms of gaming performance and longevity. Else look for deals for B550/X570 motherboard, 16GB 3600 RAM kit and a Ryzen 5600 (non x). Or even the i5 12600 and B660 motherboard. Spend most of your budget on your GPU with any of the above should last you some years.

The best 1440P monitor rn is probably the Samsung Odyssey G7 but it very aggressive curve which you may or may not like.

Another option is to wait get a 3000 series card when retailers start doing big discounts and people start panic selling their stuff for next generation graphic cards.

Last edited:

Athreous

First things first. What's your budget?
Well, let's say I don't mind buying stuff like a 4070/80, a new amd/intel cpu as well as 32gb of ram, etc. I just don't want to spend money with stuff that would instead run 4k, since it normally is a lot more expensive I think!

Well, let's say I don't mind buying stuff like a 4070/80, a new amd/intel cpu as well as 32gb of ram, etc. I just don't want to spend money with stuff that would instead run 4k, since it normally is a lot more expensive I think!
4080 is definitely definitely not a 1440p card xD if you only want 60fps that will be extremely overkill.

Do you have any video card you could temporarily use while waiting for the new GPUs to launch, if you want to wait for those? The 4060 probably won't come out til early next year, which is probably the one to get for your needs unless amd does great.

Really best thing is to wait, on further 3000 series discounts or new cards but either way if you only want 60fps, the i3, whether it's the 12100 or upcoming 13100 will do that. They're kinda ridiculous value cpus..

It remains to be seen if amd will have such cheap, good value CPU on zen 7000.

If you ever decide you want better 120/144 fps support you can upgrade later.

Last edited:

Athreous

4080 is definitely definitely not a 1440p card xD if you only want 60fps that will be extremely overkill.

Do you have any video card you could temporarily use while waiting for the new GPUs to launch, if you want to wait for those? The 4060 probably won't come out til early next year, which is probably the one to get for your needs unless amd does great.

Really best thing is to wait, on further 3000 series discounts or new cards but either way if you only want 60fps, the i3, whether it's the 12100 or upcoming 13100 will do that. They're kinda ridiculous value cpus..

It remains to be seen if amd will have such cheap, good value CPU on zen 7000.

If you ever decide you want better 120/144 fps support you can upgrade later.
Yeah, i`m still sitting with my gtx 1070 from 2017 :D

My current rig is:

GTX 1070
16gb DDR4 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 3600x
700w GS Corsair PSU

Yeah, i`m still sitting with my gtx 1070 from 2017 :D

My current rig is:

GTX 1070
16gb DDR4 3200mhz
Ryzen 5 3600x
700w GS Corsair PSU
Hmm well honestly you shouldn't be having much of a problem getting 60fps on your current 3600x, so you don't really need to upgrade that immediately. And when you do, you can just slap a 5700x/5800x3D (3D, which is a beast, but you should get a high refresh monitor/tv for that cpu) in there, when they hit rock bottom.

I would just work around the system you have ATM, i.e. get an SSD if you don't have one, extra 16gb ram, new gpu and yeah I think you can wait on the gpu since yours isn't bad. At least wait for the cheapest prices on current cards, or for the new ones.

Last edited:

Athreous

Hmm well honestly you shouldn't be having much of a problem getting 60fps on your current 3600x, so you don't really need to upgrade that immediately. And when you do, you can just slap a 5700x/5800x3D (3D, which is a beast, but you should get a high refresh monitor/tv for that cpu) in there, when they hit rock bottom.

I would just work around the system you have ATM, i.e. get an SSD if you don't have one, extra 16gb ram, new gpu and yeah I think you can wait on the gpu since yours isn't bad. At least wait for the cheapest prices on current cards, or for the new ones.
Oh, I forgot to mention... I have an Asus 144hz vg248qe monitor :D Also, I have an XP SSD, with something around 4000mb read/write speed I think.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention... I have an Asus 144hz vg248qe monitor :D Also, I have an XP SSD, with something around 4000mb read/write speed I think.
You said you were aiming for 60fps though.

I mean yeah then if you want to use that 144hz monitor, see if the 5800x3d gets a nice discount, or get it now because I wouldn't even bother getting a new board because that cpu is excellent.

Otherwise if 60fps is all you care about just stick with the 3600, maybe upgrade during the zen 5/Intel 14 generation.

I have a similar SSD, pcie 4, and the x3D and I think I won't want to upgrade for a few years, except gpu.

Athreous

You said you were aiming for 60fps though.

I mean yeah then if you want to use that 144hz monitor, see if the 5800x3d gets a nice discount, or get it now because I wouldn't even bother getting a new board because that cpu is excellent.

Otherwise if 60fps is all you care about just stick with the 3600, maybe upgrade during the zen 5/Intel 14 generation.

I have a similar SSD, pcie 4, and the x3D and I think I won't want to upgrade for a few years, except gpu.
Yeah, but I thought that with ultra settings, it would be hard to get solid 60 fps. So a 4070 would be more than enough for my monitor settings? That`d be amazing!

Last edited:
Yeah, but I thought that with ultra settings, it would be hard to get solid 60 fps. So a 4070 would be more than enough for my monitor settings? That`d be amazing!
Maybe with next gen only games, unreal engine 5, ray tracing etc. That 3600 might struggle to hit 60. It's great for 60 in the here and now though

Got an Asrock Radeon RX 6800 XT Taichi OC Edition (not "Taichi X")

What kinda of performance can I hope at 4k?
Can she endure a good 5 years?

Leonidas

You were right, turns out one of the RAM slots went bad somehow. Crashing worsened till one stick was no longer showing up in BIOS. Now I'm using both sticks in the slower channel and it seems to be working fine.

I wonder what would cause one of the slots to go bad...

Last edited:

hinch7

You were right, turns out one of the RAM slots went bad somehow. Crashing worsened till one stick was no longer showing up in BIOS. Now I'm using both sticks in the slower channel and it seems to be working fine.

Ah cool. Glad you found the source of your problem.

Not sure.. there's quite a few variables of what it could be. Could be wear and tear from connection points when inserting/resetting RAM. Or could be the motherboard slots just being a little kaput.

Maybe a firmware update will fix those. Though, I'd just leave it if its all working:messenger_ok:

Yerd

Depends on how old it is. If it's old, it could be wear and tear from turning on and off the PC over the years. If it's new, then it's probably shoddy manufacturing.

GreatnessRD

vxGJiiq.jpg

We in thurrr! Probably set this up on Sunday. Can't wait!

Yerd

Well I bitched out and ordered the Noctua 3080 because it was available on Amazon. I think it might have been available before I picked it up, but I wasn't as diligently looking everywhere for it as I was earlier in the month. So I missed that. I bought it from amazon because I felt better buying it there because I had $133 in points to soften the blow. It doesn't deliver until the end of September. Gives me a month to hope for more price drops too.

I wanted this card because it fits in line with everything else I have going on with the build. 750w sff power supply. Noctua cooler, and I have black noctua fans to switch out the brown ones already. I don't expect a noctua version of the next gen cards to be around for a while.

Last edited:

Rubytux

Neo Member
3080 12GB TUF edition from Asus. Usually known as great cards. $750
[/URL]

Great card, however i think it can drop a little bit more.

I built a PC last year, with the current specs:

Ryzen 5600x
16 GB of RAM
Rx 6600 XT
1 TB M2
55" Oled LG CX

I would like to improve it for 4K. So i could enjoy my TV more. However, i still am saving. By The time i get $500 ish, i think The 4070 Will be out.

I am not in a hurry, i just hope the 4070 lives up for The expectactions.

draliko

guys my roccat kova mouse died (double click on right button), what could i buy around the 50€ price? g502 Hero? basilisk v3? another roccat? the mouse should be on amazon.it webiste (gotsome credit there). Thanks!!

Leonidas

Whelp, my PC issues came back. Changing RAM slots seemed to work for a while, then I tried changing the CPU cooler mounting pressure, that seemed to work for a while, now I'm back to multiple blue screens a day...

I think at best I went 4 days without a crash in the past month. Hoping my PC can hold out till Raptor Lake.

Max_Po

Banned
Hi guys, I purchased a Corsair One w/ X299E-ITX/ac motherboard.

here is a link, https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/X299E-ITXac/index.asp#Manual

I want to upgrade the RAM, it supports SODIMM only. I purchansed Corsair-Brand 3200 mhz 4 x 32g Ram but the computer starts with BLACK Screen. Initially the PC came with 4 x 16 gig Ram sticks. I want to convert this baby into a Server with Eve-ng vm.

Can someone recommend what I can do? If I plug in the 2666 Mhz ram it came with I can put in extra 3 x 32 gig and then the PC goes to POST and boots.

I have tried

1 x 32 gig Stick in all 4 various slots, Remove the COIN battery, Hit CMOS RESET and boot but nothing.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Hi guys, I purchased a Corsair One w/ X299E-ITX/ac motherboard.

here is a link, https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/X299E-ITXac/index.asp#Manual

I want to upgrade the RAM, it supports SODIMM only. I purcahse Corsair 3200 mhz 4 x 32g Ram but the computer starts with BLACK Screen. Initially the PC came with 4 x 16 gig Ram and I want to convert this baby into a Server with Eve-ng vm.

Can someone recommend what I can do? If I plug in the 2666 Mhz ram it came with I can put in extra 3 x 32 gig and then the PC goes to POST and boots.

I have tried

1 x 32 gig Stick in all 4 various slots, Remove the COIN battery, Hit CMOS RESET and boot but nothing.
Is the BIOS up to date?

GreatnessRD

Whelp, my PC issues came back. Changing RAM slots seemed to work for a while, then I tried changing the CPU cooler mounting pressure, that seemed to work for a while, now I'm back to multiple blue screens a day...

I think at best I went 4 days without a crash in the past month. Hoping my PC can hold out till Raptor Lake.
Raptah Lakey should be a fun time. Which CPU are you gunning for? 13-900K(S) :pie_thinking:

DCDW

Looking to buy new Comp. Will be transferring 2080 Super to new comp from current comp. I originally had 2 M.2 drives instead of the 1 plus an older SSD model, but read multiple M.2s can have issues depending on the Mobo configuration. First computer for me to have the new M.2 so I'm new to the whole thing. Anyone know if its feasible to just go 2 M.2 drives or is the safer bet on the current selection? Prices are in Canadian $

Configurator Summary​

Begin by adding items to your system with the drop-downs on the left.
Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II Series 120 All-In-One Water CPU Cooler
Stock: 2
x1
$119.99

Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 Dual Channel Kit (2x 16GB), Black
Stock: 4
x1
$244.99

Memory Express Assemble Hardware + Load O/S [Premium Plus]
x1
$150.00

MSI PRO Z690-A w/ DDR5-6400(O.C.), 7.1 Audio, Quad M.2, 2.5G LAN
Stock: 7
x1
$254.99

Intel Core™ i7-12700K Processor, 3.6GHz w/ 12 (8P + 4E) Cores / 20 Threads
Stock: 10+
x1
$509.99

Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow Tempered Glass ATX MidTower Smart Case, Black
Stock: 1
x1
$154.99

ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE PCI-E 4x4 NVMe M.2 SSD, 2TB
x1
$269.99

Samsung 870 EVO SATA III 2.5in SSD, 1TB
x1
$129.99

Corsair RM Series RM850 2021 850W 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Stock: 6
x1
$149.99
Microsoft Windows 11 Home, OEM (64 bit)

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Looking to buy new Comp. Will be transferring 2080 Super to new comp from current comp. I originally had 2 M.2 drives instead of the 1 plus an older SSD model, but read multiple M.2s can have issues depending on the Mobo configuration. First computer for me to have the new M.2 so I'm new to the whole thing. Anyone know if its feasible to just go 2 M.2 drives or is the safer bet on the current selection? Prices are in Canadian $
Everything looks fine to me. And you're going with a Z690 board, you shouldn't have any problems with 2 or 3 M.2 drives populated. I have a MSI B550 motherboard with 2 NVME m.2 drives and a sata SSD and I don't run into any problems. Only thing your list that makes me wanna puke is the $150 for Windows 11. You can grab that and install yourself for like $15 or 20 CAD? Outside of that, everything is cool. Enjoy the new build.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Everything looks fine to me. And you're going with a Z690 board, you shouldn't have any problems with 2 or 3 M.2 drives populated. I have a MSI B550 motherboard with 2 NVME m.2 drives and a sata SSD and I don't run into any problems. Only thing your list that makes me wanna puke is the $150 for Windows 11. You can grab that and install yourself for like $15 or 20 CAD? Outside of that, everything is cool. Enjoy the new build.
Yeah, buy windows from a place like

You'll save a ton of money.

Yerd

I have always been wary of those places because I've heard of issues down the line with it being authorized. Then you suddenly have an unauthorized w11. From what I understand they are really a grey market for those keys.

I was all set to buy windows for $13 but opted for a reputable seller for $99, just for peace of mind. I remember having issues before with older versions of windows. Probably oem disc bought from newegg back then.

Dealing with w11 on my laptop only, I think I prefer w10. I have no mac experience but I think they are just trying to immitate macOS at this point.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have always been wary of those places because I've heard of issues down the line with it being authorized. Then you suddenly have an unauthorized w11. From what I understand they are really a grey market for those keys.

I was all set to buy windows for $13 but opted for a reputable seller for $99, just for peace of mind. I remember having issues before with older versions of windows. Probably oem disc bought from newegg back then.

Dealing with w11 on my laptop only, I think I prefer w10. I have no mac experience but I think they are just trying to immitate macOS at this point.
It's a reputable website that has been in business for ages you overspent by a good $80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom