• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twilo99

The 5800x3d is on sale on newegg .. so tempting and I think I should get for warzone 2 but I'll wait and see how it runs with my 5600x first and then decide

Yerd

Probably a silly place to ask for non-gaming PC advice, but I've never owned a desktop - only laptops - and I want to change that. I don't intend to do any PC gaming on it.

Reason I want a desktop is because I'm sick of spending $1k+ on a laptop that goes to shit within a year. My job involves a lot of multitasking with many tabs across several Chrome users, and various software/IDEs. I need to restart my laptop every day, lest it gets frustratingly slow and begins suspending inactive tabs after only a few mins.

So I want something powerful and reliable for heavy multitasking, and I'm willing to pay a pretty penny. Problem is I don't know the equilibrium of performance vs price and their diminishing returns. I hear 16GB RAM is plenty and 32GB is overkill, for example - is that true? What about an i7-9000 vs an i9? Would appreciate some general guidance for some top-notch parts, and anything else I might want to know about building a PC.
I can't offer advice on your IDEs because I have no experience with that. But your other info about RAM is bad. The more tabs you open the more RAM you want. I would venture a guess your IDEs would benefit from more RAM too. You could probably add ram to your current machine and make life easier.

I'm sure you can google whatever software you use and find out what type of cpu would help.

TVexperto

Is there a way to backup my desktop, software, settings etc. or can I somehow avoid installing a fresh windows when upgrading my mobo and CPU?

EDMIX

Is there a way to backup my desktop, software, settings etc. or can I somehow avoid installing a fresh windows when upgrading my mobo and CPU?

yes, you are likely looking for a back up restore and there is a method using a USB drive. You can just clone it, but if you are changing the motherboard, I'd recommend a clean install to avoid driver issues.

The USB method makes a clean install pretty easy and you can always redownload software and save those windows settings using their account system as all that can be tied to your windows account anyway. So I'd say....any headache with drivers from a motherboard or CPU is far worse then redownloading a game or 2 or settings or something and clean installs on Win 10 is probably my favorite new feature for the OS.

Yerd

Windows keys are tied to mb so you need to get a new key or update it. But the install will stay intact, no issues. As long as the hd is the same.

GreatnessRD

The 5800x3d is on sale on newegg .. so tempting and I think I should get for warzone 2 but I'll wait and see how it runs with my 5600x first and then decide
What GPU do you have?

Not that it really matters to me. You'll buy that 5800X3D dammit and you'll like it! Literally!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
AM5 looks awesome. Raptor Lake looks awesome. I would say it's a great time to be a PC gamer, but those Ada Lovelace prices......

Consumer

What specs are your laptop? Does it have an SSD and a good amount of RAM? RAM capacity needs depend on what you are doing, check your task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to see how much memory you are using while you are working.
I'm glad I checked - currently using 5.4/5.9 GB (92%), because apparently $1k+ isn't enough to buy a laptop with a discrete graphics card, so 2.1 GB is reserved for hardware 🤡

I've upgraded laptop RAM before, but the screen burnt out within a few weeks after that. Not sure if I fucked it up or because it was a used laptop (I fell for the T450 meme), but you can imagine my anxiety...

As for the specs:
  • E495 laptop (x64)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
  • 8.00 GB (5.89 GB usable)
  • HFM256GDHTNG-8510B SSD
So should I just look into upgrading my RAM, or are the other specs cringe too? In which case I'd probably just get a new laptop/PC.

Yerd

I'm glad I checked - currently using 5.4/5.9 GB (92%), because apparently $1k+ isn't enough to buy a laptop with a discrete graphics card, so 2.1 GB is reserved for hardware 🤡

I've upgraded laptop RAM before, but the screen burnt out within a few weeks after that. Not sure if I fucked it up or because it was a used laptop (I fell for the T450 meme), but you can imagine my anxiety...

As for the specs:
  • E495 laptop (x64)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
  • 8.00 GB (5.89 GB usable)
  • HFM256GDHTNG-8510B SSD
So should I just look into upgrading my RAM, or are the other specs cringe too? In which case I'd probably just get a new laptop/PC.

The fact that you have to reboot the machine because it bogs down is most likely a ram issue. But, it could also be overworking the cpu. Those machine specs are very low end.
Try running a typical work session and open task manager performance tab for a very basic view of what resources are being used. If your cpu is also maxed out then a new machine is needed, because you can't upgrade that.

Athreous

Guys, I got a 3070 a few weeks ago, but I'm stuck with a ryzen 5 3600x... What ryzen cpu would you recommend so I don't have bottleneck with my 3070 and survive enough to upgrade for a 4080 in the future?
I was thinking about the Ryzen 7 5800x, but I'm not saure if this is the best option right now...

Probably a silly place to ask for non-gaming PC advice, but I've never owned a desktop - only laptops - and I want to change that. I don't intend to do any PC gaming on it.

Reason I want a desktop is because I'm sick of spending $1k+ on a laptop that goes to shit within a year. My job involves a lot of multitasking with many tabs across several Chrome users, and various software/IDEs. I need to restart my laptop every day, lest it gets frustratingly slow and begins suspending inactive tabs after only a few mins.

So I want something powerful and reliable for heavy multitasking, and I'm willing to pay a pretty penny. Problem is I don't know the equilibrium of performance vs price and their diminishing returns. I hear 16GB RAM is plenty and 32GB is overkill, for example - is that true? What about an i7-9000 vs an i9? Would appreciate some general guidance for some top-notch parts, and anything else I might want to know about building a PC.
What the hell laptop are you buying that has those issues? There are plenty of great laptops under $1k like the MacBook Air (fuck off macOS is better and if it wasn’t for gaming I would never touch Windows ever again) or the Surface line, or even Yoga line.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Guys, I got a 3070 a few weeks ago, but I'm stuck with a ryzen 5 3600x... What ryzen cpu would you recommend so I don't have bottleneck with my 3070 and survive enough to upgrade for a 4080 in the future?
I was thinking about the Ryzen 7 5800x, but I'm not saure if this is the best option right now...

Why would a 3600x bottle neck a 3070? Are you playing at 1080p?

killermmn

go for the 5800x3d that will do the jobs!!

Cyberpunk can't get past 50 fps =(
At 1440p or higher (render) ultra settings with ray-tracing enabled? That's normal. It's barely playable for me on an RTX 3080 if I enable ray-tracing even with DLSS

I wouldn't upgrade from a 3600X tbh. 5600 is the sweet-spot right now. 5800X3D is the future-proof option if you want to stay on AM4 for a long time. Don't expect big benefits from a CPU upgrade.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Get a 5600 and sell your 3600X, you can probably recoup half the cost of the processor that way, making the upgrade <$100.

EDMIX

Get a 5600 and sell your 3600X, you can probably recoup half the cost of the processor that way, making the upgrade <$100.

This.

One of the most important parts of a build imho. The CPU and Motherboard need to be solid and at least,, some what future proof for a while so you can easily upgrade, so I tend to spend a bit more in this area to allow for future upgrades that are not a headache.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
6800xt only $539. 20 tflops monster. Should play ever PS5 game at double the framerate or resolution.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
6800xt only $539. 20 tflops monster. Should play ever PS5 game at double the framerate or resolution.

They have been lower, I almost bit when the asrock one was $500 with a zip payment on newegg.

having to buy a new PSU and possibly a new case to upgrade to these cards is a complete turn off for me. i know i could use an adapter but that looks awful. it's not just that we need a new cable but that these cards draw so much power. while my PSU is almost 8 years old it's still going strong with no reason to replace it. also there is nothing wrong with my case. i mean sure i'd like some front panel USB-C ports but i can deal without it. it's a bit banged up but still no reason to change it after 7 years.

i guess i'll hold off for 5000 cards now lol. by then i might be convinced to retire my PSU and 3.0 units are easier to find. plus, hopefully Nvidia calm down with how much juice they suck up. i'd like to see the next gen cards focus on efficiency and power consumption reduction. a GPU that can pull up to 600W is insane and these cards are at the point they are freaking HUGE with all the cooling shit on them.

iu

Ray tracing to me seems like one of those technologies that needs another decade before it becomes cheap and ubiquitous.
Colour TVs and mobile phones were like that once too.
it will be a long transition but gotta start somewhere. a few years ago most people didn't know what the fuck raytracing was but nvidia kick started it with RTX 2000 cards and then consoles jumped in.

it's expensive as hell and it'll be a while before it become standard in games.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Seeing a bunch of used 3080 10GB cards on Ebay for $500. Part me of me is tempted to pick one up, but the Steam Deck has really shifted my play time away from the desk. I think if I were to dump money on PC hardware it would be a new laptop or one of the new 680M handhelds releasing soon(AOKZOE A1, GPD WIN 4, etc).

Seeing a bunch of used 3080 10GB cards on Ebay for $500. Part me of me is tempted to pick one up, but the Steam Deck has really shifted my play time away from the desk. I think if I were to dump money on PC hardware it would be a new laptop or one of the new 680M handhelds releasing soon(AOKZOE A1, GPD WIN 4, etc).
Do you mostly play streaming games or native games on the deck? I have a feeling I would play through more games if I got a steam deck too. For a lot of single player games I just don't feel like sitting at my desk anymore. Maybe I'll try streaming to my Nvidia shield on the couch again, first go around I didn't like the experience

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Do you mostly play streaming games or native games on the deck? I have a feeling I would play through more games if I got a steam deck too. For a lot of single player games I just don't feel like sitting at my desk anymore. Maybe I'll try streaming to my Nvidia shield on the couch again, first go around I didn't like the experience
I've tried xCloud and GeForce Now on Deck and they work quite well since the Deck has excellent WiFi, but I'm all native these days. I upgraded my 64GB Deck to a 1TB 2230 SSD+512GB microSD and I dual-boot SteamOS+Win10. Deck is the ultimate backlog killer since older games look really good on the screen. Not to mention the Deck is really comfortable. It plays pretty much anything from FS2020 to Spider-Man Remastered to emulation from NES up to a decent amount of Switch and PS3 games. It's a real game changer. It's all about freedom and flexibility. You can play on the couch while a family member watches TV, hangout and chat. Play in bed before going to sleep. Bring it with you on the road, train, or a flight. Love it.

Consumer

dude... 12900k and ventus 3060 ? gtfo lol
Here’s an opinion. Don’t pair a 12900K with a fucking 3060. That’s insane.

Scale back to a 12700K and upgrade to a 3070 (maybe even a 3080) or a Radeon 6800
lol, I guess I should've (re-)added the context that I'm not actually intending to use the PC for gaming, just for heavy work multitasking. I've never owned a desktop, so I want it to be future-resistant.

Or should I still scale back to a 12700K regardless?

//DEVIL//

lol, I guess I should've (re-)added the context that I'm not actually intending to use the PC for gaming, just for heavy work multitasking. I've never owned a desktop, so I want it to be future-resistant.

Define heavy work load ?

If it’s vmix or adobe premier, I would argue to use the A4000 card as they are better at encoders. ( that’s what I do do my work ).

If you are talking heavy excel files … then that cpu is overkill

Also ventus sucks . It’s loud and heats up quickly . There is a reason it’s cheaper than the other cards. Go either asus strix or KO or evga ftw3/2 if there is any.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Depends on the multitasking. If you're not using it for gaming, get rid of the 3060 and go with a cheaper 6600.

GymWolf

samsung 980 pro 2tb or crucial p5 plus 2tb for the new build? (similar heavily discounted price only for today)

I only care about sturdiness and how hot they get, what is the better one? and do i need a heatsink with both?

Also, are these ram any good for 139 dollars (only for today)

Crucial RAM CT2K16G48C40U5 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40​

Thanks.

Last edited:

Yerd

samsung 980 pro 2tb or crucial p5 plus 2tb for the new build? (similar heavily discounted price only for today)

I only care about sturdiness and how hot they get, what is the better one? and do i need a heatsink with both?

Thanks.

They use different chips, and probably different controllers. Both have 5 year warranty, crucial is slower. They will both get hot, but Samsung is generally regarded as the best drive to get.

GymWolf

They use different chips, and probably different controllers. Both have 5 year warranty, crucial is slower. They will both get hot, but Samsung is generally regarded as the best drive to get.
Mmm so i should buy the samsung and an heatsink for it, thanks.

Leonidas

The PC is fine IMO, the only thing maybe I'd change is the CPU as Intel 13th Gen launches next week, a 13700K will be a better choice than the 12900K given those prices. But 13th Gen would require you to change motherboards to one that has BIOS flashback (which I don't think the one in your list has) or a 700 series motherboard.

Last edited:

chigstoke

Thanks.
I'd go for the 980 Pro SSD wise. The Crucial is slower. The 980 Pro is a beast, I run a 1TB.
Don't think a heatsink is hugely necessary, maybe I'm misinformed on that, but if it gives you some extra peace of mind, go for it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any word on when the Samsung 990 Pro comes out? They were saying October but now the month is halfway over and no one’s talking about it.

I have one stick of 16gb ram , i'm debating if i should buy another 16gb , i heard i shouldn't mix brands too , so basically have to buy 2 sticks of 16gb ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom