• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2022. The GPU drought continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

raduque

Comes down to which games you care about, your desired resolution and framerate really. It is a decent upgrade but if you want to quantify it GN have a decent bit of coverage when the 5800x3d launched, but it also includes the 3600 and 5800x in those comparisons.

Amazon US seem to have the CPU for less, FWIW - so $259 isn't the price floor. 5700x might be worth a look too with it sub $200.

I'm only considering it because I can grab it the same day at Best Buy, which is where it's 259. A 5600x is 159, so I might go that route unless it's not a big enough jump from the 3600.

winjer

Gold Member
For a cheap ass 1080p gamer how's a rtx2060 for around 250 bucks?

It's a good price for a brand new card.
For 1080p it has good performance. DLSS2 is not amazing at 1080p, but it's still a good way to get extra performance, but don't go lower than the Quality mode.
DLSS 2.5.1 seems to be one of the best versions.

GreatnessRD

It's cool, BUT, you could get better hardware for cheaper money on newer arch. A 6600 (Non-XT) is currently on Newegg for $220. Or if you could also opt for a 6650 XT that'll be 30% better for $285. Unless you're looking into the whole Raytracing deal, then the 2060 perhaps would be better there. Good luck with your choice!

dDoc

Hey PC gurus :)

A chap is selling the below (used) for EUR 600 - is it worth it?

I9 9900K
Corsair watercooling
Corsair 750w
Gigabyte Z390
RGB Fans
500Gb SSD
32Go Ram 3200mhz DDR4 HyperX
Sharkoon Case glass panel
NO GPU

Yerd

Hey PC gurus :)

A chap is selling the below (used) for EUR 600 - is it worth it?

I9 9900K
Corsair watercooling
Corsair 750w
Gigabyte Z390
RGB Fans
500Gb SSD
32Go Ram 3200mhz DDR4 HyperX
Sharkoon Case glass panel
NO GPU
I would lean to the no category.

9900k was $300 when you could last buy them new. It's what I'm still using.
z390, maybe $100 new. Again, what I have.
750w, no idea what quality level, lets say 80-$100
Fans $20-30
500gb ssd $50
32g $80-100
case $60

It's not much of a discount for years old product. No gpu either. USA prices, so do the money magic to turn it into your kingcoins.

dDoc

After thinking about it a bit came to the same conclusion myself. It just sounded like a great deal initially before realising its a 9th gen CPU. Thanks for your feedback though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
i0iO4kc.jpg

These GPU cables are really triggering me. There is quite a bit of bend when I put the cover on. Anyone know a good alternative that I can actually purchase? Everything seems to be sold out. I have a Corsair HX1000 PSU.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Absolutely shitty when you consider a 6600 can be had for around that and will perform quite a bit better. A 2060 should only be considered if its the Super 8GB version for under $200.

This is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better deal and better performance. Before you bring up ray tracing, be aware that it's really not feasible on the 2060.

Last edited:

The Stig

This guy tested with an RTX 3060 (which I was going to suggest) and you can see the 6600k hamstrings the hell out of the GPU.
On the bright side, you're almost definitely still getting a major uplift versus that 1060 and then whenever you do upgrade the overall platform (ie chuck out that old motherboard) you get an automatic big bump.
Just from the Shadow of the Tomb Raider 1080p benchmark he has, (assuming you bought a 3060) you'd get a 54% FPS improvement just from upgrading your system to one running a 12600k.

If it were my build I would upgrade to a 3060 or maybe a 6600XT (seems to be much cheaper for actually better performance anyway excluding RT) for now to tide me over, and then look at upgrading the overall platform later when it really is on its last legs.

Well I got a the RTX3060. will start thinking about what mobo to get (that processor looks pretty boss)

TrebleShot

It’s rough out there.

Although, we do have some really powerful hardware floating around.

Disgusting , industry is regressing putting massive price tags on just more crap.

People say a 4090 is like a wagyu steak , I’d argue it’s just 300 big Mac’s rather than 3.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Power consumption is getting out of control and cpu's are putting out too much heat these days.

Last edited:

Myths

i0iO4kc.jpg

These GPU cables are really triggering me. There is quite a bit of bend when I put the cover on. Anyone know a good alternative that I can actually purchase? Everything seems to be sold out. I have a Corsair HX1000 PSU.
So glad I did a clean build from scratch that I was able to obviate the whole PSU/3 8pm Adapter crap. I went with the ThermalTake 1650W PSU which has 2 12VHPWR ports on the PSU + 2 600W 12VHPWR adapters included. Either switch the PSU, do a vertical GPU mount or get a bigger case.

Also, I can’t stand PSU shrouds .

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I thought I'd check local prices and it seems like finally you can get some good 8 core cpus for around 200. Less for 5700x, more for 5800x. Then with a mobo and 32gb ram on top stay well below 500 (so if GPU prices weren't crazy then for less than 1000 you'd have a top of the line gaming rig just like back in the day, now it seems you need 1.5-2x as much just for the GPU, lol). But I'm told now is not a good time to buy? I also saw some reviews bashing the once long awaited 5700x, not because it's not the expected slightly worse 5800x that still performs similarly in gaming but because it's an "aging" chip and intel has better cheaper stuff? Yet here at least when I arrange by price these are the cheapest 8 core cpus, the i7 10700f is inbetween, then for around 250 or so there are some 10 core i5 and over 300 for the 12 core i5. way more for an i7? What's the recommendation for modest budgets now? Wait for 3D cache cpus? There's literally always something new to wait for and they might delay the medium range x700x option again forcing you to higher or lower end, or be pricy altogether like 5800x was at launch, plus probably use pricier DDR5 so all components adding up to much higher cost and/or waiting even more for lower cost options/discounts and then something new will be around the corner again for a repeat of this exact situation. It's not like you won't need to upgrade again for next gen either (unless you wait way too long to get something like they may have) so waiting mainly delays how long you enjoy cruising through this one (well I'd also need a new gpu to cruise through it but I'm sticking with my 1080 for a while longer for sure). Surely people who bought last year something one can only afford now don't hate/replace it already? I've been looking to upgrade since AMD became competitive again and that was like 3 cpu generations ago, lol, there was always a reason not to (primarily that the 3770K I have was pretty good but it's pretty damn long in the tooth now, especially for VR, but not just that). Anyone? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GymWolf

Disgusting , industry is regressing putting massive price tags on just more crap.

People say a 4090 is like a wagyu steak , I’d argue it’s just 300 big Mac’s rather than 3.
Nah, this summer i payed like 150 euros for 100 gr of wagyu beef of the best tier they had in the restaurant, if you consider that a 4080 is like 2,2 kg for like 1100 euros and do the math, the gpu has a way better price\performance ratio than wagyu meat:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Socket LGA 1700 has an uneven mounting pressure system, that bends the CPU, causing uneven contact with the cooler. Resulting in higher temperatures.
That frame straightens the socket alignment, decreasing temperatures by 5-10 ºc.

The one for AM5, it's just a foam cover. It isn't really needed unless people are very sloppy with thermal paste. Or are using conductive thermal paste.

GymWolf

So glad I did a clean build from scratch that I was able to obviate the whole PSU/3 8pm Adapter crap. I went with the ThermalTake 1650W PSU which has 2 12VHPWR ports on the PSU + 2 600W 12VHPWR adapters included. Either switch the PSU, do a vertical GPU mount or get a bigger case.

Also, I can’t stand PSU shrouds .
Is this big enough?

GymWolf

Socket LGA 1700 has an uneven mounting pressure system, that bends the CPU, causing uneven contact with the cooler. Resulting in higher temperatures.
That frame straightens the socket alignment, decreasing temperatures by 5-10 ºc.

The one for AM5, it's just a foam cover. It isn't really needed unless people are very sloppy with thermal paste. Or are using conductive thermal paste.
Fucking what now?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

So with a 13600k i need to use that thing? is it included in the box?

I need to start to make a list of all the shit to avoid for the people who are gonna build my pc, i'm having nightmares...

There is now way they are gonna be updated to all this stuff here where i live...

Like i'm watching a video of my case and the psu goes up top instead of the classic position on the bottom, how common is this in high end cases?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

I need to start to make a list of all the shit to avoid for the people who are gonna build my pc, i'm having nightmares...

There is now way they are gonna be updated to all this stuff here where i live...

Intel is doesn't care about such things.
You need to buy one separately.

It's a long video, but it's might be useful.

GymWolf

Your best bet is to measure the current span of the GPU as it’s mounted horizontally with the power adapter and then compare that to the width of the case you’re getting.
I mean the case is a gigantic king size so it's like, if i can't do it, 95% of people can't do it either:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Like i'm watching a video of my case and the psu goes up top instead of the classic position on the bottom, how common is this in high end cases?
no it's not included in the box :messenger_tears_of_joy: you'll need to buy it yourself. when i was looking at getting a 13900K i saw people recommend using one of these plates. i'm not dealing with that shit. either design your products properly or include that in the box.

as for PSU. it doesn't matter where it is. it used to be common for PSU's to be mounted in the top. as long as your cables are long enough (they probably are) then you'll be fine. you could argue about cooling in that the heat from your CPU/GPU will go up into the PSU but it's probably insignificant. i suppose you could turn the PSU around so it's drawing in cool air from the top (if there is holes in the case for it). if the case has a shroud around the PSU then it won't make any difference at all.

you aren't building it yourself? you should probably try do it yourself. we'll always be here to help you :)

Last edited:

Yerd

i0iO4kc.jpg

Can't you just push the adapter so it bends upward, and then have the cables going around the ass end of the card? It may look like shit but it would maybe reduce the bend.

GymWolf

no it's not included in the box :messenger_tears_of_joy: you'll need to buy it yourself. when i was looking at getting a 13900K i saw people recommend using one of these plates. i'm not dealing with that shit. either design your products properly or include that in the box.

as for PSU. it doesn't matter where it is. it used to be common for PSU's to be mounted in the top. as long as your cables are long enough (they probably are) then you'll be fine. you could argue about cooling in that the heat from your CPU/GPU will go up into the PSU but it's probably insignificant. i suppose you could turn the PSU around so it's drawing in cool air from the top (if there is holes in the case for it). if the case has a shroud around the PSU then it won't make any difference at all.

you aren't building it yourself? you should probably try do it yourself. we'll always be here to help you :)
I mean the case is one of the best in the market, best of 2021 for tech jesus and runner up for 2022 so i think that they studied airflow pretty well.

No i'm too noob to build a pc by myself, also the mobo need an update bios to even read my cpu and flashing a new bios when you don't have a working pc seems way over complicated for my skills, i'm absolute shit with this stuff.

At least if the shop fucks up they have to pay the damage they do because i'm gonna ask for some sort of warranty.

Leonidas

Can i ask why? on reddit people still seems to be worried about the bending more than the thermals.
13600K works fine without it. People worry too much about things sometimes. The stock ILM is not breaking CPUs, therefore bending is not something to worry about.

Even GN says that most people shouldn't bother...

dave_d

Nah, this summer i payed like 150 euros for 100 gr of wagyu beef of the best tier they had in the restaurant, if you consider that a 4080 is like 2,2 kg for like 1100 euros and do the math, the gpu has a way better price\performance ratio than wagyu meat:lollipop_squinting:
And on top of that a GPU won't turn to shit after a few hours wagyu like beef literally will:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom