• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinch7

yeah i almost got it from amazon the other night for £262 so im glad i waited. even if i quickly sell my 5600x for £60-£70 (need to check ebay at what they go for) i’ll of paid around 140-150 for it so thought why not.

that’ll be nice if zen 6 gets supported, that will be when i’ll jump and do another upgrade. other wise next thing is a gpu upgrade.
how are temps on your 5800x3D? i know it runs hot and i have a peerless assassin 120 to cool it but did you undervolt at all?
Thats an insane price especially bought locally and not abroad. Funilly enough I have/had the same upgrade path and upgraded from a 5600X too. And for around the same price lol.

I traded into CEX earlier in the year while the value was quite a bit higher but you can still sell it for £72 in store (just checked) cash without the hassle. Just make sure you clean up any thermal paste.

And yeah its a hot CPU. I have the Phantom Spirit on mine (also Thermalright) and mine runs upto 82c on Cinebench and upto 78c when gaming; on heavy usage, CPU bound games. But hovers around 60's in most titles. I undervolted it with -30 all core offset in curve optimiser. Which helped a lot in thermals and improved performance.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Thats an insane price especially bought locally and not abroad. Funilly enough I have/had the same upgrade path and upgraded from a 5600X too. And for around the same price lol.

I traded into CEX earlier in the year while the value was quite a bit higher but you can still sell it for £72 in store (just checked) cash without the hassle. Just make sure you clean up any thermal paste.

And yeah its a hot CPU. I have the Phantom Spirit on mine (also Thermalright) and mine runs upto 82c on Cinebench and upto 78c when gaming; on heavy usage, CPU bound games. But hovers around 60's in most titles. I undervolted it with -30 all core offset in curve optimiser. Which helped a lot in thermals and improved performance.
i know i had to buy it at that price, it was through ebay using the code they have at the moment. curry’s, box, ebuyer and ccl all have some good deals on their ebay stores at the moment for PC parts.

perfect! will go for the cex price then shouldn’t get any hassle with them.

ok sounds like the best thing to do then, will do that so it’s running as cool as possible. :goog_biggrin:

Rossco EZ

net01IP.jpg

changed cpu and met with this, is this normal? which option should i select?

Rossco EZ

I got the same message yesterday when I installed the 5700x,and I just pressed N
ah ok, i pressed N and it kept like looping coming back to this screen. eventually just decided to press Y and see if it did the same thing but took me to windows and had to reset my sign in pin. 🤷🏻‍♂️

M1987

ah ok, i pressed N and it kept like looping coming back to this screen. eventually just decided to press Y and see if it did the same thing but took me to windows and had to reset my sign in pin. 🤷🏻‍♂️
It looped a couple of times for me too,but eventually booted into windows,glad you got it sorted though

So I'm not planning on updating to Windows 11 for a while (probably not until W10 is definitely deprecated) but I figured I might as well ensure my current PC was ready. I activated TPM 2.0 in the bios, everything's fine, but now I get contradicting results depending where I check for W11 compatibility...

The PC Health Check app (linked on the official Microsoft site as a way to check compatibility) says everything's good, previously it said I was missing TPM 2.0.
If I go to Settings > Security > Updates, it still tells me I don't meet the requirements.

By the time windows 11 becomes mandatory, I'll probably need to update my entire config anyway, but it's still slightly unnerving...

TVexperto

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and can't decide between the Intel i5-13600K and i5-12600K. I already have DDR4 RAM and an ASRock B760M Pro RS/D4 WiFi motherboard.

I mainly use my computer for gaming on ultrawide 3440x1440 like star citizen and upcoming manor lords

there is a 100 euro difference between both (205 euro for 12600k and 305 euro for 13600k)

im upgrading from a 8700k

GreatnessRD

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and can't decide between the Intel i5-13600K and i5-12600K. I already have DDR4 RAM and an ASRock B760M Pro RS/D4 WiFi motherboard.

I mainly use my computer for gaming on ultrawide 3440x1440 like star citizen and upcoming manor lords

there is a 100 euro difference between both (205 euro for 12600k and 305 euro for 13600k)

im upgrading from a 8700k
I'd say the 13600K since you're running the ultrawide. Just wish you went for DDR5 board instead of DDR4. Either way, coming from a 8700K both will be a major upgrade! Good luck with whichever CPU you decide.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
New Build Update:

I have 99% of things finished. Still have 2x intake 140mm fans for the bottom of the case that haven't arrived yet, but I have it up and running and have stress-tested and benchmarked the hell out of it.
Everything's solid across the board, temps are fantastic, benchmarking right where it should be (everything is at stock settings).

The Hyte Y70 Touch case is amazing to work with, they really outdid themselves with this design (you can get the Y60 variant that doesn't have the 4k touchscreen).

Coming from a 1080ti, I knew the 4090 would be nutty but good fucking gawd... Cyberpunk is impressive but what really blew me away was the new Avatar game, holy shit.

Here are the final specs. I know it's mega overload on RGB and fans, fans with RGB, and fans with RGB in the their mouths and when they spin they shoot RGB at you, but dammnit that's what I wanted so that's what I built :messenger_sunglasses:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Taichi AM5 EATX
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 - 64GB
SSD1: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 - 2TB
SSD2: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 - 4TB
GPU: PNY Epix-X GeForce RTX 4090 24GB Overclocked
PSU: Super Flower Leadex VII XG 1300W 80+ Gold
Cooling: Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360mm AIO
3x Lian Li Uni-Fan SL-Infinity 120mm (reverse)
3x Lian Li Uni-Fan SL-Infinity 140mm
Case: Hyte Y70 Touch
Extra Silly Shit: Lian Li Strimmer Plus V2 24-pin

I'll post some final photos when I get it all 100%.

GreatnessRD

New Build Update:

I have 99% of things finished. Still have 2x intake 140mm fans for the bottom of the case that haven't arrived yet, but I have it up and running and have stress-tested and benchmarked the hell out of it.
Everything's solid across the board, temps are fantastic, benchmarking right where it should be (everything is at stock settings).

The Hyte Y70 Touch case is amazing to work with, they really outdid themselves with this design (you can get the Y60 variant that doesn't have the 4k touchscreen).

Coming from a 1080ti, I knew the 4090 would be nutty but good fucking gawd... Cyberpunk is impressive but what really blew me away was the new Avatar game, holy shit.

Here are the final specs. I know it's mega overload on RGB and fans, fans with RGB, and fans with RGB in the their mouths and when they spin they shoot RGB at you, but dammnit that's what I wanted so that's what I built :messenger_sunglasses:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Taichi AM5 EATX
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 - 64GB
SSD1: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 - 2TB
SSD2: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 - 4TB
GPU: PNY Epix-X GeForce RTX 4090 24GB Overclocked
PSU: Super Flower Leadex VII XG 1300W 80+ Gold
Cooling: Lian Li Galahad II Trinity 360mm AIO
3x Lian Li Uni-Fan SL-Infinity 120mm (reverse)
3x Lian Li Uni-Fan SL-Infinity 140mm
Case: Hyte Y70 Touch
Extra Silly Shit: Lian Li Strimmer Plus V2 24-pin

I'll post some final photos when I get it all 100%.
Wow, rich.

Congrats on the build!

Is that a good pc build ?

Windows 11 Home 64bit OA3 (Installiert inkl Key)

LianLi LANCOOL II MESH RGB
Intel i7-14700KF mit 8C+12c/28T/ 5.60GHz Turbotakt, 33MB Cache
be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
Gigabyte Z790 GAMING X (inkl WLAN+BT)
32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 AMD/Intel 6000MHz Kingston Fury Beast
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVME (L 7000MB/s ; S 5100MB/s)
16GB NVIDIA RTX4080 (beliebiger Hersteller)
850W be quiet! Pure Power 12 M ATX 3.0 - PCIE 5
3x be quiet! Pure Wings, 120mm PWM

2888€

…and is the price reasonable?

peish

2888€

looks 888€ overpriced, if without taxes.

gaming X are budget line from gigabyte.

4080 supre is coming next month

What's a good mousepad for FPS games like Call of Duty? I just got the Logitech superlight 2 mouse. I need an XXL sized pad for it because I keep running out of room on my current one when I'm tracking someone. I want a control one, right? Or speed?

peish

What's a good mousepad for FPS games like Call of Duty? I just got the Logitech superlight 2 mouse. I need an XXL sized pad for it because I keep running out of room on my current one when I'm tracking someone. I want a control one, right? Or speed?

razer strider xxl

Quixz

2888€

This looks expensive, where in Europe are you?

Leonidas Leonidas are you planning on doing a new one for 2024? I know a couple of people who will probably update or build a new PC this year, and your threads have always been very helpful.
It would probably be better to wait until the new NVidia Super GPUs are out though, both for a new topic and for a new build...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

2888€

No a B650/7800X3D combo is much better with that GPU.

Jesb

Has anyone opted to just use GeForce now instead of building a new pc. I have no idea how reliable the streaming is with that, but I’m curious if that’s worth trying instead of building a new pc.

Jesb

Anyone have any suggestions on a new monitor 1440p in the 300 range? Thinking of these 3. G5 odyssey $250, LG 27GR75Q $329 or Gigabyte M27Q $380. Open to other suggestions. I’m in Canada btw.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Anyone have any suggestions on a new monitor 1440p in the 300 range? Thinking of these 3. G5 odyssey $250, LG 27GR75Q $329 or Gigabyte M27Q $380. Open to other suggestions. I’m in Canada btw.

Very pleased with mine. There are cheaper models.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Going to be hard to beat either of those options for that price.

phant0m

Has anyone opted to just use GeForce now instead of building a new pc. I have no idea how reliable the streaming is with that, but I’m curious if that’s worth trying instead of building a new pc.
I actually just retired my gaming desktop for a M2 Max Mac Studio (long story). It plays the Apple Silicon-optimized stuff (RE4R, NMS, BG3, etc) really well at 1440p, but I've mainly been using GFN for more "serious" gaming.

Priority Tier ($50/6 mos)
  • Limited to 1080p/60
  • RTX Enabled
  • 6-hour sessions
  • My experience: Meh. It's okay. While it varies from game to game and everything is playable, there's definitely a lag that makes fast-paced games (FPS + racing) feel not great.
Ultimate Tier ($99/6 mos, includes PC Game Pass)
  • Up to 4k/120
  • 8 hour sessions
  • 4080 powered
  • My experience: Ho. Ly. Shiiiiit. Resolution & frame rate aside, it's night and day. It actually feels like I'm playing something running locally. I can't discern any input or visual lag without having it side-by-side. I've played 80+ hours of Insurgency: Sandstorm on my desktop and it looks and feels exactly the same on GFN.
Summary: GFN rocks if the games you own are available there, but Ultimate or bust. PC Game Pass is a bonus.

Jesb

I actually just retired my gaming desktop for a M2 Max Mac Studio (long story). It plays the Apple Silicon-optimized stuff (RE4R, NMS, BG3, etc) really well at 1440p, but I've mainly been using GFN for more "serious" gaming.

Priority Tier ($50/6 mos)
  • Limited to 1080p/60
  • RTX Enabled
  • 6-hour sessions
  • My experience: Meh. It's okay. While it varies from game to game and everything is playable, there's definitely a lag that makes fast-paced games (FPS + racing) feel not great.
Ultimate Tier ($99/6 mos, includes PC Game Pass)
  • Up to 4k/120
  • 8 hour sessions
  • 4080 powered
  • My experience: Ho. Ly. Shiiiiit. Resolution & frame rate aside, it's night and day. It actually feels like I'm playing something running locally. I can't discern any input or visual lag without having it side-by-side. I've played 80+ hours of Insurgency: Sandstorm on my desktop and it looks and feels exactly the same on GFN.
Summary: GFN rocks if the games you own are available there, but Ultimate or bust. PC Game Pass is a bonus.
Gonna have to give GFN a shot. It’s gonna be a better experience than my old build with a 7970 for sure. Seems more cost effective if it works than building a new PC.

Which stays cooler while gaming?
Ryzen uses much less power so probably it is easier to cool down.

I was talking about gaming performance to be clear, in non gaming tasks 14700K will be faster.

This is with a Noctua NHU14S which is a very good air cooler. About 10 C cooler during gaming than the 13700K, and the 14700KF probably runs even hotter than the 13700K.

Btw. it also uses less than half the amount of watts while gaming lol.

They have one for the 14700K as well:

TLDR:
7800X3D runs at 65 C using 49 Watts on average during gaming
i7 14700K runs at 81 C using 132 Watts on average during gaming

Last edited:

Yerd

This is with a Noctua NHU14S which is a very good air cooler. About 10 C cooler during gaming than the 13700K, and the 14700KF probably runs even hotter than the 13700K.

TLDR:

Someone posted an image in the previous page where the 7800x3d is listed at 75 watts idle. How is it drawing 49 watts during load?

I've never really paid much mind to these differences. Why the fuck is this thing engineered to run more watts doing nothing than when it's running a game. Boot up your game when you leave your system on, I suppose. Otherwise you are just wasting power.

Someone posted an image in the previous page where the 7800x3d is listed at 75 watts idle. How is it drawing 49 watts during load?

I've never really paid much mind to these differences. Why the fuck is this thing engineered to run more watts doing nothing than when it's running a game. Boot up your game when you leave your system on, I suppose. Otherwise you are just wasting power.
At idle my 7800X3D uses between 16 and 18 watts. Only chrome & AMD adrenalin active. If it is using 75 watts at idle you are probably running something in the background that is using a lot of CPU power or you have a messed up OC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why would that be better? I’m not very knowledgeable with gaming pcs. Very curious to learn more.
There are tons of reviews on it. I would say go read for yourself, but here is the short version.

It offers better (and sometimes MUCH better) gaming performance.

Uses drastically less power at full load and is therefore easier to cool.

If gaming is your priority there is no reason to get anything other than a 7800X3D.

If it's not gaming then an Intel may be a better choice.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
At idle my 7800X3D uses between 16 and 18 watts. Only chrome & AMD adrenalin active. If it is using 75 watts at idle you are probably running something in the background that is using a lot of CPU power or you have a messed up OC.
Yeah, open up taskmanager. Windows turns on so many unnecessary processes.

For example Officehelper.eve was using a TON of CPU resources and spiking the temperature.

Yerd

It's not my system. I'm still running a 9900k.

I was referencing another post in this thread that used an image that listed all CPU idle watts. The 7800x3d was listed at 75.
This is the post:

Where did you see such a thing?
Professional reviewers show very similar power usage at idle.

untitled-1.png

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's not my system. I'm still running a 9900k.

I'm was referencing another post in this thread that used an image that listed all CPU idle watts. The 7800x3d was listed at 75.
This is the post:

That is idle power, for the whole PC.

twilo99

TLDR:

AMD have done an outstanding job. Bravo

winjer

Gold Member
I see.

Who needs to know that for a reviewer's test system? What benefit does that provide a reader unless they have the same exact system.

They use the same test system, except for the CPU and motherboard. So it's comparable.
No system is the same, but reviewers use the same hardware, when benchmarking, so performance and power usage are comparable.
Of course few people will build the exact same system, so performance and power will never be the same. But it's a valid guide line to compare products in the same category.

If you are so concerned about exactly how much power your system uses, you can just buy a wallmeter. They are cheap and easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom