• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
For those of you on AM5, have you had any issues with ethernet not working properly, or other oddities? Just trying to determine how stable the AM5 platform is compared to Intel...

So found this vid on YouTube. Guy has the exact same issue I am having where it freezes up on the “press f2/del to enter bios” screen

So I bought a new motherboard and I was able to get past the bios screen to where it’s loading windows but then I would consistently get a blue screen with some kind of system management error. I was using an old windows 10 USB stick to do a fresh install and I think it was so old the files weren’t compatible with the new hardware or maybe there was a corrupted file because as soon as I installed a fresh copy of windows 11 downloaded straight from the MSFT website, I had zero issues booting. System has been running perfectly for 2 days now. I still do think the first motherboard was bad because I was only getting black screens or stuck on the bios F2/del screen.

What is a good benchmark tool to test a new rig!l? I want to make sure my scores are relatively the same as others with similar hardware so I know my system is running correctly.

b0uncyfr0

PSA: Microcenter is giving away $100 steam gift cards with 4000 series cards.
[/URL]

Cat Lol GIF by Cartoon Hangover

Yerd

I'd have bought one myself, just for the parts.

The same-ish one with a 4070ti is $2700.

I don't like this practice of sizing computer cases based on water volume. It started in SFF community, and now it's been co-opted by this prebuilt mainstream company and applied to this massive case.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'd have bought one myself, just for the parts.

The same-ish one with a 4070ti is $2700.

I don't like this practice of sizing computer cases based on water volume. It started in SFF community, and now it's been co-opted by this prebuilt mainstream company and applied to this massive case.
Yeah they removed the page all together and I don't expect it will ever ship

I tried paying for the overnight shipping to get it out of their hands faster before they saw their mistake :)

I watched a review on this case and I like the idea of the rad being in that upper part to always have access to cool air

Last edited:

Yerd

Yeah they removed the page all together and I don't expect it will ever ship

I tried paying for the overnight shipping to get it out of their hands faster before they saw their mistake :)

I watched a review on this case and I like the idea of the rad being in that upper part to always have access to cool air
Did you find it yourself or got to it from some other source? If you got it through some deal site, I'm guessing they were getting hammered with orders for that, and know what is up.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Did you find it yourself or got to it from some other source? If you got it through some deal site, I'm guessing they were getting hammered with orders for that, and know what is up.
I just so happened to have looked at PCs and that was on the newest list of 4080s and 4090s and really had no need for it but wasn't passing that price up

Yerd

I just so happened to have looked at PCs and that was on the newest list of 4080s and 4090s and really had no need for it but wasn't passing that price up
It's less than the price of the GPU alone.

I have fomo for the new 4x cards but I don't want to spend any more money. I'll suffer with my 3090 until next gen at least.

Last edited:

Bojji

Would I be retarded to switch my 3070 to a 6800 XT?

I switched from 3060ti to 6800 two months ago (but I also had 3070 until February last year), what you get is way more vram and card is more future proof. In terms of RT outside few games (CP, Portal, Quake 2, Crysis trilogy) both GPUs are about the same or very close to each other but more VRAM gets some advantage to 6800XT. You obviously lose DLSS and FSR2 is only solution left, with Quality setting at 4K FSR2 is not bad at all (sometimes better or worse than DLSS in certain aspects).

I switched back to Nvidia train with 4070 but I think changing 3070 to 6800XT is not a bad idea.

Last edited:

manfestival

Would I be retarded to switch my 3070 to a 6800 XT?
I dont think the performance increase is significant enough to really justify the move. However, if you get it at a minimal cost difference(offsetting pricing by selling your card) then sure why not. It is a whole tier of performance higher. Just would probably wait a little longer if I were you to see what if anything in this generation makes sense coming down the pipeline or shell out a little more for a bit more of a significant bump.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I now have a RTX 4090 and a 7800X3D and holy shit. I'm impressed. I had no idea how much my old 5800X was holding back my rig.
I made the jump from the 5900x to the 7800X3D. Same GPU. Significant for me. Just needs these recent PC ports to be much better optimized. It's killer HW that doesn't feel as killer with the bad run of recent PC ports.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Juuuust about finished my new build, as as soon as my 4070Ti arrives this afternoon.

I went for a stealth build, no RGB, noise insulated black case. I hate all that tacky disco lighting. I did have to settle for my second choice case after the first one arrived smashed. Other than that, the build went smooth, and booted on the first try, yay.

Updated to Windows 11 on account of superior thread scheduling with assymetrical CPUs. Turned out to be a bit of a nightmare, as my system had stopped updating due to a file corruption issue that I couldn't resolve, which was also preventing Windows 11 from installing by normal means, but I managed to force it by creating an install USB. Then GamePass stopped working, no error messages just wouldn't launch games, until I found out that the internal clock was off by a second and re-synced it and then it launched 5 games at once.

Anyway, I'm fully up and running and updated now, feels good. The i7 13700k is still pretty bottlenecked by the RTX 2070 in the high end stuff I tested, but the 4070Ti should fix that. I have noticed a LOT less stutter in my VR games now, though, HL Alyx runs like butter and loads in 2 seconds now.

Some Linus tests air vs water CPU coolers

This reinforced my decision to go with a (heavy) air cooler. The fact is they operate just as quietly, just as effectively, and more reliably than mid-tier water coolers, they just don't look as cool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234972917814

I’m trying to build my youngest son a PC that will basically be for light school work, youtube, and Roblox. I planned on buying all the parts and building it but then I figured it would be cheaper to just buy one of those workstation type computers people sell thousands of on eBay. Then I could just buy a cheap GPU, I already have spare RAM and a couple PSUs around.

But does thing price seem legit? An i7, and a 500GB SSD with 8GB of memory for only $119? Also what is AMD FirePro? Isn’t it some sort of AMD GPU? That’s what I thought it was, but the description says intel onboard graphics.

Anyway I only ask if it’s legit because most of the other desktops on there are similar price for much lower specs.

Edit, ok I read deeper on the description. The tower includes the dedicated FirePro W2100, which I guess I’ll replace. Ill give it a shot.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234972917814

I’m trying to build my youngest son a PC that will basically be for light school work, youtube, and Roblox. I planned on buying all the parts and building it but then I figured it would be cheaper to just buy one of those workstation type computers people sell thousands of on eBay. Then I could just buy a cheap GPU, I already have spare RAM and a couple PSUs around.

But does thing price seem legit? An i7, and a 500GB SSD with 8GB of memory for only $119? Also what is AMD FirePro? Isn’t it some sort of AMD GPU? That’s what I thought it was, but the description says intel onboard graphics.

Anyway I only ask if it’s legit because most of the other desktops on there are similar price for much lower specs.

Edit, ok I read deeper on the description. The tower includes the dedicated FirePro W2100, which I guess I’ll replace. Ill give it a shot.
You can get used, low-end, small form factor PCs like this pretty cheap yeah. Schools or offices buy a bunch of these and then sell them off a couple years later. They're worth considering for things like building a media box for your TV or whatever.

I would not expect one of these things to be very upgradeable. I certainly wouldn't expect to put much of a GPU in one. They're often deliberately designed to confound upgrades beyond basic expansion.

You can get used, low-end, small form factor PCs like this pretty cheap yeah. Schools or offices buy a bunch of these and then sell them off a couple years later. They're worth considering for things like building a media box for your TV or whatever.

I would not expect one of these things to be very upgradeable. I certainly wouldn't expect to put much of a GPU in one. They're often deliberately designed to confound upgrades beyond basic expansion.

Yeah but this one is a regular tower, though there is a SFF option. We’ll see, will be fun to tinker with.

SF Kosmo

Aaand I'm all done. Man, this think cooks. Cyberpunk Overdrive runs like butter, everything runs like butter. The only game that is pushing it a little is Flight Simulator VR, which still needs frame interpolation and a lot of settings compromises to get to playable. I wonder if any system can run that with full native frames.

VR in general is sooo nice, crisp and no stutter.

bbeach123

Yeah but this one is a regular tower, though there is a SFF option. We’ll see, will be fun to tinker with.
Dell's wiring and connectors game pretty crazy sometime , you might get a normal 24 pin psu/motherboard version , or might get a custom proprietary psu and motherboard with weird connectors n shit .

Sth like this .

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

c37LvgI.jpg

And the verdict. Feelsgood.gif

It's interesting, nVidia has more or less kept the price to performance ratio flat across the entire line, instead of offering a value sweet spot somewhere in the middle. This has ruffled some feathers and created questions about the value of the mid-range, but it isn't really a crazy way to do things. Like the $800 card is half the performance of the $1600 card, it makes sense.

Last edited:
Anyone knowledgeable on SSD performance benchmarking? I just bought a new Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB. I want to make sure it's performance is up to snuff and it's not being bottlenecked or anything. Samsung Magician benchmark shows 7389 sequential read speed/ 6864 sequential write using full performance mode. I also bought the storage benchmark version of 3D mark because this PC is for gaming and that test specifically tests loading games, save files, etc. I only got a score of 3300. Reading reviews of this drive, reviewers are getting closer to 5000 in that test.

Last edited:

MikeM

Anyone knowledgeable on SSD performance benchmarking? I just bought a new Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB. I want to make sure it's performance is up to snuff and it's not being bottlenecked or anything. Samsung Magician benchmark shows 7389 sequential read speed/ 6864 sequential write using full performance mode. I also bought the storage benchmark version of 3D mark because this PC is for gaming and that test specifically tests loading games, save files, etc. I only got a score of 3300. Reading reviews of this drive, reviewers are getting closer to 5000 in that test.
Does it need a firmware update?

grkazan12

Just about ready to pull the trigger on the build below. Not much has changed since my last post apart from switching the ASUS motherboard to an MSI motherboard. Heard that MSI is more reputable in that space and that ASUS quality isn't what it used to be.

Does the below build look okay? Always appreciative of the posts and info in this thread.

Monitor: 4k Resolution, not always looking to play at native resolution
Use cases: Gaming, browsing, pirating, general workhorse PC for the house that I'm hoping will last 10 years and more
  • Case: Fractal North
  • CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 2x120mm Heatsink
  • MOBO: MSI PRO PRO X670-P
  • Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz
  • 4TB WD Black NVMe PCIe 4.0
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 4090
  • PSU: aCorsair 1000 Watt 80 PLUS PLATINUM

SF Kosmo

Just about ready to pull the trigger on the build below. Not much has changed since my last post apart from switching the ASUS motherboard to an MSI motherboard. Heard that MSI is more reputable in that space and that ASUS quality isn't what it used to be.

Does the below build look okay? Always appreciative of the posts and info in this thread.

Monitor: 4k Resolution, not always looking to play at native resolution
Use cases: Gaming, browsing, pirating, general workhorse PC for the house that I'm hoping will last 10 years and more
  • Case: Fractal North
  • CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A 2x120mm Heatsink
  • MOBO: MSI PRO PRO X670-P
  • Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz
  • 4TB WD Black NVMe PCIe 4.0
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 4090
  • PSU: aCorsair 1000 Watt 80 PLUS PLATINUM
Looks good to me. That's a lot of computer. I think "Platinum" rated power supplies are a a bit of a scam, but it doesn't seem like you're that worried about price.

AM5 does seem to be working its kinks out, so I went Intel on my build, but there's no doubt that the 7800X3D is the fastest gaming CPU right now. Just keep that BIOS up to date.

grkazan12

Looks good to me. That's a lot of computer. I think "Platinum" rated power supplies are a a bit of a scam, but it doesn't seem like you're that worried about price.

AM5 does seem to be working its kinks out, so I went Intel on my build, but there's no doubt that the 7800X3D is the fastest gaming CPU right now. Just keep that BIOS up to date.
Thanks Kosmo! Honestly, I think I will change the PSU to the Gold Certified version, just remembered that my old tower was gold certified and I've had it for a decade.

Edit: So it looks like the 4090 will fit the case and it helps that I won't be using a radiator for the CPU.

I guess my final question is, what is the Intel equivalent to the 7800X3D? And should I swap the AMD with that Intel CPU?

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Thanks Kosmo! Honestly, I think I will change the PSU to the Gold Certified version, just remembered that my old tower was gold certified and I've had it for a decade.

Edit: So it looks like the 4090 will fit the case and it helps that I won't be using a radiator for the CPU.

I guess my final question is, what is the Intel equivalent to the 7800X3D? And should I swap the AMD with that Intel CPU?
The Intel equivalent is a 13700K. From what I have seen, the 7800X3D is the better chip for gaming performance, even over the higher end 7950X3D, because all of its cores are equally performant and Windows is still not fully optimized for asymmetrical CPUs. It's also by far the more power efficient chip, if that kind of thing matters to you.

So I think it's a very good chip. The 13700k outperforms it in synthetic benchmarks and productivity tasks because it has more total cores, and it's also a very good chip. The fact is games aren't really going to fully exploit either one right now, so they're both sort of overkill/future proofing.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I went with Intel mostly because the platform seems more mature, and AM5 seems to be having some teething problems. Nothing a few months of BIOS updates won't fix, I just don't want to beta test with my hardware.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

I've always refused to go water cooling. Didn't make any sense. Even in my SFFPC where 90% of them go water cooling.

NH-L12s is keeping up with a 5800x3D and is cool and quiet. Anything resembling a tower has no excuse to not go air cooled.
Yeah the main advantages of water are looks and small form factor builds. They're not actually that much better at cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom