• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need advice for a pair of wireless in-ear buds

GymWolf

OP here are the ones I use for almost everything. They're cheap but they have good sound and are well constructed.

I know Razer's quality is pretty hit-and-miss though, maybe I just got a good pair, but I've been using them a few hours a day for a few years now and they've been great. Originally got them in a bundle with the Razer Kishi (they are low-latency and designed for gaming, after all). They're IPX4 water resistant.

When I'm working out or hiking (couple hours a week) I use these instead:

A bit over your budget, but these things are built like a tank. The audio quality is kinda shit, but they won't jostle around or fall out, and your ears stay unobstructed so you can hear traffic if you need to (very important for me).

Good luck!
I prefer to avoid that type of earbuds, i don't think that i would like the vibration on my ears when i put the volume too high...

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So there is nothing in the 50-60 dollars range with a wire but still wireless that i'm not gonna destroy with my sweat in about a year?

So every guy who does a bit of gym or sunbathing need to spend hundreds of dollars for a pair of fucking earbuds?

damn :lollipop_squinting:
There are plenty with a wire, but a wire that needs to be connected to your audio source. I don't consider wired to mean 'only wired from bud to bud'. And yes, sweat absolutely destroys electronics. If the buds are not sealed to protect from sweat, they will die.

Here is an option for you:

GymWolf

There are plenty with a wire, but a wire that needs to be connected to your audio source. I don't consider wired to mean 'only wired from bud to bud'. And yes, sweat absolutely destroys electronics. If the buds are not sealed to protect from sweat, they will die.

Here is an option for you:
Dude, at least use all the 50-60 dollars budget for your advice, i don't mind spending that amount if there is a jump from a 23 dollars model :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Thanks for all the help, thanks to all of you guys, i'm reading reviews for every model you advice here.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Why aren’t you rich already dude?
I'm on my way brother. I did not pay attention to my finances until my mid-twenties so I am doing some catching up for sure. I'm ahead of target and target is early retirement. This is why I buy budget audiophile gear and not big, expensive stuff.

When I am loaded, electrostatic headphones like those Sennheiser HE1s are on my wishlist.
waynes world want GIF

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm on my way brother. I did not pay attention to my finances until my mid-twenties so I am doing some catching up for sure. I'm ahead of target and target is early retirement. This is why I buy budget audiophile gear and not big, expensive stuff.

When I am loaded, electrostatic headphones like those Sennheiser HE1s are on my wishlist.
waynes world want GIF
I was talking to GymWolf GymWolf

You have 2 incomes and no kids.

GymWolf

Can we stop the poor man chit chat please, i can buy both of you for a strip night that involve champagne and nutella for an entire week, food and bed included, if i want 🕺

Someone clearly missed my amsterdam trip topic...

But to return to more serious things, Yo maiden, for the sweat thing, can't i just search for something with ipx8 protection? that is fully impermeable and there is a lot of choice in the 50-60 range.

I use the freebuds 4 (without the i, because I absolutely hate in-ear buds) for fitness/running/working out. Forgot to take them out of my jogging trousers once and they survived a full fledged washing machine program.
That's quality right there, plus the active noise canceling is nice to have for noisy gym environments.

I tested other cheap wireless headphones, but they either stop working, the contacts on the charging box oxidize from the sweat or you encounter other dumb problems after a while. The freebuds are not too expensive if you break them while working out.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cool chart. I was about to chime in and say that IPX-4 is generally considered workout safe unless you literally sweat a "low pressure water stream" from your ears while working out. The only reason you would need IPX-8 for working out is if you're going to be swimming for more than 30 minutes.

GymWolf

Cool chart. I was about to chime in and say that IPX-4 is generally considered workout safe unless you literally sweat a "low pressure water stream" from your ears while working out. The only reason you would need IPX-8 for working out is if you're going to be swimming for more than 30 minutes.
I do heavy lifting and cardio outside with a pretty hot temp and umidity, so yeah, i sweat a buckload.

I also sunbath at the beach and here where i live, 50° celsius are not rare, so yeah, 3-4 hours under the sun make you sweat a buckload.

So yeah, if i can buy something that doesn't get fucked up by literally swimming in salt water, i'm gonna do it.

The one that i have now are ipx4 and they didn't even last a whole year before getting fucked up.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

I guess that if it can resist to being suberged in salt water, even a lot of sweat should be nothing for it...right?

Well I use my IPX 5 between pros when I run be it summer, rain or snow. And I sweat like a pig. Still working. And those have the components outside the ear.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well I use my IPX 5 between pros when I run be it summer, rain or snow. And I sweat like a pig. Still working. And those have the components outside the ear.
in my usual 90 min of training (years ago was 3 hours because i was a moron) i sweat enough to have the physical need to change 2-3 shirts etc. especially during summer, of course i can't change my slips or sweatpants every 30 min so i only switch the shirt, but yeah...

Last edited:

Ironbunny

in my usual 90 min of training (years ago was 3 hours because i was a moron) i sweat enough to have the physical need to change 2-3 shirts etc. especially during summer, of course i can't change my slips or sweatpants every 30 min so i only switch the shirt, but yeah...
I forgot these. You can buy these from amazon too. 49$. Great sounds for the price and have IPX8. Also used these when running but these dont have physical buttons.

https://enacfire.com/collections/enacfire-wireless-earbuds/products/enacfire-f1-wireless-earbuds

Ironbunny

Have you listened any electrostatic headphones? If Sennheiser doesnt come out with successor for HD800s I might next take a leap to electrostatic. I have never tried them so dont know what to expect. They had HE1 listening session for customers near me a year back but sadly didnt have the time to go test those.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Have you listened any electrostatic headphones? If Sennheiser doesnt come out with successor for HD800s I might next take a leap to electrostatic. I have never tried them so dont know what to expect. They had HE1 listening session for customers near me a year back but sadly didnt have the time to go test those.
Not yet. Some day.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Stop being budgeted and reasonable. You’re so poor your earbuds have wires that plug into your phone.

I would hang out, but not at the clubs. The golf club but not the strip kind.

GymWolf

Well the tozo 12 were absolute trash in the end, i just trashed them.

The sound was decent but they were not sweat resistant at all, way too sensitive touch controls, and half the times they didn't charged inside the dock so i could not use them and a lot of times they just discharged by itself inside the dock (don't ask me how), absolute trash of the highest order.

Since black friday is close, i would love some other advices, i think i have to ramp up the budget because all those 40-50 euros earbuds can't survive a couple of months before the degradation start.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It’s not in your budget but I love 1st gen Powerbeats Pro (the ones with ear hook), they are incredible for sport and pair very well with Apple devices since they also have the H1 chip. They have been going for 4 years now, will be a shame when they finally die.

GymWolf

Those looks more like good for audio but sweat resistance is the major selling point after destroying so many earbuds.

It’s not in your budget but I love 1st gen Powerbeats Pro (the ones with ear hook), they are incredible for sport and pair very well with Apple devices since they also have the H1 chip. They have been going for 4 years now, will be a shame when they finally die.
Unless you do any sport when those things get literal buckets of sweat per session, that's not really an indication of longevity because i'm pretty sure that all earbuds can last for years with "some" sweat.

But yeah 250+ dollars is way put of my budget.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Not sure what exactly you are looking for performance-wise but check out the Shokz OpenRun line if you want something super easy to use (controls are easy to feel and not super sensitive to touch), decent sound quality, great battery life and won't ever fall out/come off no matter how much you sweat. They are bone conductive so actually don't sit in your ear but many cyclists/runners really like them as the sound is good and they can still hear sounds around them. Even if I am not working out I tend to use them more than I use my airpods pro.

Top Bottom