• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help Gaf. Lost my 15 year old Psn

Chronicle

Nothing there.

The only thing support says to me is that they cant do anything for that account.
I tried the online chat, the guy ask my email, and just closed the chat.
I tried de phone, the guy did the same, asked my email, waited for 2 minutes, they said, nothing can be done and finished. I called another time and other guy said there was a message that they cant do anything when he searched my email.

Wtf is this? I buy things almost every week there for 15 years, play every day. Never changed my email. Changed password about every year to stay safe. And they just hang up on my face.
So what did you do? Get honest.

Tams

Gold Member
Keep contacting support and make a stink about it on their Twatter accounts (nicely at first).

buenoblue

Got it back! I finally got to talk with sony US. They checked some personal info.They didnt say what happened. But i just turned on 2FA.
I really think its something related to the warner account and the beta. Hope this will not be a trend with the new game.

Thanks everyone, and go and turn your 2FA on !

Was hoping for the admission that you did something crazy that totally deserved the ban!

But congrats I guess🤷‍♂️

Was hoping for the admission that you did something crazy that totally deserved the ban!

But congrats I guess🤷‍♂️
Even i wanted to know what I did lol.
I think it's even more scary, because I really didn't do anything wrong

I only got my account again because I remember a lot of old things, had many prove about past transactions, credit card info. But I think many don't have this, and can be randomly banned/hacked. I was really lucky to get my password again.
2FA is a must for everyone.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Even i wanted to know what I did lol.
I think it's even more scary, because I really didn't do anything wrong

I only got my account again because I remember a lot of old things, had many prove about past transactions, credit card info. But I think many don't have this, and can be randomly banned/hacked. I was really lucky to get my password again.
2FA is a must for everyone.

Were you sending rude messages to other players? Did you have an insulting/harassing/“Bigotted” user id? Did you say particular profanities that got picked up by the microphone? Were you in the nude and had a camera on for some odd reason? Any of these could be reasons why your account got flagged.

jaysius

Banned
Sony is the fucking worse to get help from, there was time when some dick snot fucker did something so bad that they had to do a mass IP ban on IP's to get rid of them, when I called I was told that my account was in perfect standing, so I asked for MY OWN IP ADDRESS to get unbanned, but they stuck with "Just phone your ISP and tell them to assign you a new IP Address", my ISP at the time was the kind of luddites that still thought camera's steal your soul, so they wouldn't do it. I had to go into the modem/router and fuck around to get a new IP Address. I was completely locked out of ALL OF MY PSN purchases, the Store would just give me an error on my PS4 and my PC. FUCK SONY SUPPORT. I did NOT have any malware that was making a zombie attack or any other issue on MY OWN NETWORK or ANY PC/device connected to it.

TL;DR: Sony support left me out to dry and 100% restricted access to my account because my IP was in a mass IP BAN, Support fully acknowledged that my account was in perfect standing but would not UNBAN MY IP address, and made me figure it out on my own. FUCK SONY "SUPPORT".

I really hope you get help and reach a resolution, but it can't be said ENOUGH that Sony's "support" is FUCKING TRASH.

Last edited:

T-Cake

That seems a potential issue to me - the account was created in the USA (on the US store) and you’re buying things with a Brazilian IP address? Sony doesn’t support account location transfer like Xbox so maybe the system regards it as suspicious?

nkarafo

There are tools available to prevent this sort of thing. No reason to have to live in fear.
Yeah, no. I prefer to not have to deal with shit i cannot control.

I do buy from digital stores but i always make sure to have some backup plan to circumvent DRM for things that i really like. Or buy from GoG. And i also never bother with achievements or other things that are bound to my accounts. I always assume any of my online accounts are just temporary.

I have all my favorite games on physical and/or non DRM/portable form so nobody can prevent me access or even update/remove content, like how some games get their soundtracks removed after many years, because of license issues.

I really don't like it when others have control over my shit. When streaming replaces ownership, i'm outta here. Tons of games in my backlog (which is 100% controlled by me) to last for the rest of my life.

ViolentP

Yeah, no. I prefer to not have to deal with shit i cannot control.

I do buy from digital stores but i always make sure to have some backup plan to circumvent DRM for things that i really like. Or buy from GoG. And i also never bother with achievements or other things that are bound to my accounts. I always assume any of my online accounts are just temporary.

I have all my favorite games on physical and/or non DRM/portable form so nobody can prevent me access or even update/remove content, like how some games get their soundtracks removed after many years, because of license issues.

I really don't like it when others have control over my shit. When streaming replaces ownership, i'm outta here. Tons of games in my backlog (which is 100% controlled by me) to last for the rest of my life.
And that's fine. My preference moved away from physical media so with the right precautions, I don't find anything to worry about.

Fuck.... Sonys customer service has been horrible for over 15 years. I've had my current psn name for 13 years and every once in awhile I hear horror stories like this.
Same man I'm an original fat boy PS3 owner from 2006. I got it right after launch and played Drakes Fortune. I still use my original account and never changed the name. Stories like these freak me out.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Thanks GAF! I hadn't used my PS4 in over a year, and recently went in and turned on 2-factor authentication by reading this horror story.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I had a thing happen w/ my amazon account where they completely closed it, refunded me all my digital stuff (just some kindle books and a couple of movie) and just kept saying nothing could be done.

Eventually got a response saying someone used my account for something illegal and law enforcement had gotten involved. They assured me my credit card info wasn't taken (and I didn't notice any charges) but they said they absolutely couldn't unlock my account and also couldn't tell me what happened other than "something illegal."

Random story maybe but your situation feels similar. Took me MANY emails to finally get a response, and it was a guy emailing me from his personal email because he wasn't sure he was even supposed to tell me but he felt bad.

Wasn't a huge deal but honestly was kinda bummed as I sometimes used my purchase history.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You should try to reach out to https://twitter.com/AskPlayStation on Twitter before they close it up. I've actually had better luck with a few companies on twitter than their normal customer service depts.
In my experience Sony's twitter support is completely fucking useless.. you have to "follow them" to get "support" but then you message them and you get back a boilerplate "here's our help page on playstation.com" lol

DaGwaphics

I know hind sight is 20/20, but this is a great question.

You also would not receive an email about it being changed, because they send the confirmation to the new email. I changed my email account just a few weeks ago and this is what happened on my end.

That's horrific policy, they should always send to the old contact details as well. I don't think I've ever changed emails on an account anywhere and not been sent the "your email/contact information was changed" notice at the old email, typically with a number to contact for support if I didn't initiate that change.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Same man I'm an original fat boy PS3 owner from 2006. I got it right after launch and played Drakes Fortune. I still use my original account and never changed the name. Stories like these freak me out.
Ah yeah! My fat boy ps3 is just hanging out on a shelf but I've been really tempted to finally play mgs2. I have the metal gear HD collection and I can't play it anywhere else, yet....

I remember being so pissed about Raiden that I never played any of the others. Always heard snake eater was good.

Back on point I can't even get my year in review from Sony so I hope my account never gets lost cause then I think I'll be boned.

SkylineRKR

Always use 2FA. Always. I was too lazy for it back on PS4, my account was compromised despite my password not being that obvious. I never store payment options on my account (I would strongly advise against linking CC or paypal as well, just add funds manually or buy a voucher).

I didn't lose anything, but I had the common problem of my PS4 being not Primary and I couldn't remotely start downloads. Sony didn't help me at all, their consumer service sucks. They could see something happened, but they think the caller is the hacker so they don't say anything. Despite giving my personal info and everything that lined up, their only solution was to wait 6 months, deactivate my accounts, change pw and add 2FA. Which I did. And no problems so far yet.

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Just make a new one it's for free
wtf-is-that-confused.gif

Quasicat

That's horrific policy, they should always send to the old contact details as well. I don't think I've ever changed emails on an account anywhere and not been sent the "your email/contact information was changed" notice at the old email, typically with a number to contact for support if I didn't initiate that change.
It is a tremendous pain in the ass. Try changing your Apple ID, they make it nearly impossible without losing everything in the process. Even when I chatted with their Customer Service, the guy recommended that I just don’t mess with it. 🙄

Lady Jane

Banned
It is a tremendous pain in the ass. Try changing your Apple ID, they make it nearly impossible without losing everything in the process. Even when I chatted with their Customer Service, the guy recommended that I just don’t mess with it. 🙄

Why would changing your Apple ID make you lose? Isn't it still the same account with the same pictures and contacts (if the contacts are being added to your phone and not synched with gmail or something).

Last edited:

Quasicat

Why would changing your Apple ID make you lose? Isn't it still the same account with the same pictures and contacts (if the contacts are being added to your phone and not synched with gmail or something).
All purchases are gone and cannot be transferred, and if you have any emails that are connected through Apple relay, those are gone too and you have to reregister. I looked into placing it in a family share plan which would share purchases, but most of my purchases do not qualify for family sharing. Any game saves are locked to your Apple ID, and would require starting them over.
It would be possible, but also a major inconvenience.

Lady Jane

Banned
All purchases are gone and cannot be transferred, and if you have any emails that are connected through Apple relay, those are gone too and you have to reregister. I looked into placing it in a family share plan which would share purchases, but most of my purchases do not qualify for family sharing. Any game saves are locked to your Apple ID, and would require starting them over.
It would be possible, but also a major inconvenience.

Ah, so third parties grab your current Apple ID and then keep it which becomes a problem if you change your Apple ID so now the third party thinks you're someone new. Sounds like Apple needs to share a unique number for each user to third parties and never the Apple ID to avoid this.

That's good to know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom