• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need help with a weird XBL issue.

I've been sing a MS wireless router (mn-700) with XBL for a few weeks now, and I've noticed that i cannot be heard, or hear others in certain game lobbies. In other games like FSW the other player is able to hear me about 50% of the time, meaning in one game he/she can hear me, but in the next he/she cannot.

The router is running wirelessly only to my PC, but i have the Xbox wired.
I've checked my dashboard settings (especially my NAT) and they ass seem to be fine, connection speeds are fine, it's just the chat feature that's FUBAR.

jedimike

Usually voice is the first thing that drops with bad connections. I suspect that is the problem.

Here's what you need to do...

a: Make sure you have a strong wireless signal. Do the XBL auto-detect from the dashboard. When it is done auto-detecting, hit Y. You will see a summary and it will have download speeds, upload speeds, and latency. Do it a few times to get an average. Upload speed has to be at least 128.

b: Log onto your router and stick your Xbox in the DMZ. This opens up all the ports needed for the Xbox protocols.

c: Check your mic (I know... sounds stupid). The official Xbox mics are very good, but if your dial is set too high or too low you'll have problems. In a lobby, you can see your voice indicator light up when talking. Adjust your dial so that it doesn't light when you breathe, but lights up when you talk in a normal voice. Also make sure the light on the mic adapter is green.

Thanks Jedi.
What do yo mean by "stick your Xbox in the DMZ?"
BTW, my Xbox is wired to my router, i'm not running a wireless Xbox adapter just yet.
My average connection speeds (as tested on my PC) are 1200-1300-DL/190-UL

jedimike

Divine Puncher said:
Thanks Jedi.
What do yo mean by "stick your Xbox in the DMZ?"

It stands for demilitarized zone. It basically puts your Xbox on the "other side" of the router. There is no protection from the router so everything is open. You wouldn't want to do it for your PC because it would vulnerable to hackers. However, nobody is going to hack into your Xbox.

When you log onto your router it will be in the advanced section... just add your Xbox IP address to the DMZ.

If you don't want to do that, then there is a section on Xbox.com that tells you exactly what ports have to be open for everything to work smooth.

edit: OK, just ignore my wireless remarks then. Your speeds look fine, so moving it to the DMZ or opening the ports should fix it. Oh, if your router is not new, you may have to update the firmware. Just go to the manufacturers site and they'll have a nice tutorial.

Beautiful, thanks!
The router is a Microsoft product, with a compatible logo. You would think it would be compatible out of the box....

Top Bottom