• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Quit My Job To Build A Game Studio | Dev Stories [VIDEO]

Kuranghi

Awesome, more power to her, must take a lot of courage to make the leap.

You don't need the hidden text OP, anyone who has anything truly negative to say about this is not a true GAFfer in my eyes.

edit - I will add that it makes me sad she said "I was one of only two black people in my class, so it was quite isolating" and I mean obviously its easier to make friends with people like yourself but I don't think its helpful to think like that, like if I was in a job where everyone else was black or indian or chinese or whatever (I'm white obviously) then I wouldn't think that means I can't be friends with them.

Maybe its just because I'm a big outgoing idiot who talks to everyone I meet, I know its not that easy for some, but if you are already shy then putting up imagined race barriers is just going to make it worse imo. Maybe I misunderstood what she meant though.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
We need another video titled: "I quit my job to build a game studio and now I'm in a bread line because I'm an idiot with no money or business acumen"

Good luck to her and any dev that has a crack at doing it for themselves. The tools these days combined with a vision of something unique in terms of production, art, mechanics, story, gameplay etc can really produce amazing things and on a tight budget with some real dedication. I personally have little interest in mobile type games as presented here but I understand there is a huge and growing audience for these sorts of platforms and Indie titles. My daughter is a prime candidate for these sorts of games, in the latter parts of the video. Best wishes to her but I cannot unsee her claw grip on that crazy ass keyboard, she'll have pain in a few years doing it that way. Also no way could I code on a laptop on a stand with a floating keyboard and distance to tiny text etc. Her setup looks lovely at a glance but I don't think it's very practical long term for a designer or coder as such.

Best thing she could do for herself long term is invest in a sit/stand desk so she can switch on the fly at will. As someone running a web company for over 2 decades now it's those things that are essential to your well being and endurance for years to come. Kudos to the channel creator too, great spotlight and solid production quality.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It always gets me how these people can code while can draw and shit. I hate that I am absolutely talentless hack with graphics. I can do code well, but always I have to get assets to be created by someone else and that's annyoing.

ShadowLag

Good on her, stories like this are what will keep gaming going in the long term. Her games seem like perfect candidates to make the leap to the Switch, too!

For anyone else looking to dive into game dev like this, I would say that having a job at Google or even going to college are not pre-requisites, although it can help for some. Don't be afraid to just dive in and start following tutorials on YouTube etc. with Unity and Unreal and you'll make it where you want to go.

Guilty_AI

It always gets me how these people can code while can draw and shit. I hate that I am absolutely talentless hack with graphics. I can do code well, but always I have to get assets to be created by someone else and that's annyoing.
I remember when i was messing with godot, i realized working with pixel art makes it much easier on people with no drawing skills. Mainly because its easier to tweak around.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I remember when i was messing with godot, i realized working with pixel art makes it much easier on people with no drawing skills. Mainly because its easier to tweak around.
True, but my issues lies elsewhere, that I have very bad translation skills from my brain, which is fuming with pictures, scenes, etc. To that part of the brain which actually moves hand and with eyes which are getting feedback as to what is drawn. I huge dysgraphic issue, even my writing sucks major ass (to the point that I have been ask if I am a doctor...), so I guess that's a part of that.

Droxcy

Basically me and another co-worker currently creating something not game releated in the programming space because 9-5s are dead. I'm in the controls/electical engineering background just getting boring becuase computers have always been my passion. Best of luck to you!

That's cool and all, but what a shit OP.

Just a video posted and a blurred sentence that is hiding its snark that guilt trips fellow users to say "woohoo, you go girl" ?

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Great story on it's own, you do not need to force an echo chamber of applauses though.

Top Bottom