• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I started watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm in a Sci fi mood so I decided now's the time to finally jump in. People have referred to it as one of the GOAT TV shows, so it has a lot to live up to, although I'm not going in with any insane expectations, I'm just expecting it to be good.

I watched the mini series episodes and 2 episodes of season 1. So far I like it. My only complaint is some of the actors come off as really corny and I just can't buy them as their characters. The assistant to the president, I forget his name. He looks like a Supermarket cashier and Dr. Baltar. Dr. Baltar annoys the fucking shit out of me. I don't know if that's how he's written or his acting, but every seen it looks like he's trying to hold in diarrhea. There's a couple other characters I'm not buying, but I understand this isn't HBO so it's not like they have A list actors across the board to work with here.

My favorite characters so far are Starbuck and Commander Adama.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I watched the mini series episodes and 2 episodes of season 1. So far I like it. My only complaint is some of the actors come off as really corny and I just can't buy them as their characters. The assistant to the president, I forget his name. He looks like a Supermarket cashier and Dr. Baltar. Dr. Baltar annoys the fucking shit out of me. I don't know if that's how he's written or his acting, but every seen it looks like he's trying to hold in diarrhea. There's a couple other characters I'm not buying, but I understand this isn't HBO so it's not like they have A list actors across the board to work with here.
GrouchyAridHoiho-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
I'm in a Sci fi mood so I decided now's the time to finally jump in. People have referred to it as one of the GOAT TV shows, so it has a lot to live up to, although I'm not going in with any insane expectations, I'm just expecting it to be good.

Umm.. This is not an HBO series original hehehe. Its a tv series from a long time ago. Not to mention that back then, SCi-FI tv series doesn't attract a lot of great actors, well except for a few specials roles.

Side note Baltar is consistently the same little shit you come to loathe at the start of the series. They do give him some range though. So after a whole season you come to accept him.. He also does inject some comic relief at times.

It truly is one of the best Sci-Fi series ever created. You get a primary conflict at the start of the series that endures every single episode till the last. Each episode felt as if there was some progress made. Not a lot of series can pull that off. Stick with it!! :)

nush

Gold Member

33 is one of the greatest episodes of all time. The mini series is exposition, character building and cliches. After that it's fine, maybe going back to back rather than with a wait between the mini series and the main series coming along has muddied your opinion.

Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

Along with the Shield, BSG has one of the best TV pilots of all times.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I liked it quite a bit until they removed it from Prime during the third season I think. I'm curious what you will think about it going into the second season and beyond. I felt cheated, then fine, then happy about the developments. Also, the cheese abides. It changes, but it was thoroughly cheesy to where I watched.

Setzer

You're in for a ride, DragoonKain DragoonKain , it's one of my top 5 favorite shows all-time. Season 3, episode 3 & 4 have some of the best sci-fi moments I've ever watched on TV. Would really love a 4K remaster of the complete series. Also, people will hate on how they ended the show but I liked it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Show falls apart in Season 4 when they had to end it and didn't know how to get there.

Watch Babylon 5 in HBO Max instead.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Adama delivers so hard. Stick with the show. It isn't flawless, but well worth the ride.

Woffls

Awesome show - my favourite sci-fi series by far. Baltar is supposed to be a little shit, so you will have to get used to that one.

Dazrael

except for that one moment in the early part of season 3... man that was a great moment.
I’m pretty sure I know the moment you mean.

BSG was the ultimate realisation of the vision of the 70s show. It took the themes and ran with them, not being afraid to show the fallout of war that the original series skirted around. It was the show that I always wanted to be remade and they did an exceptional job. Now that’s what I call a fraking show!

So say we all.

Arkam

Have fun! I watched the entire series over a span of (maybe) two weeks. What a ride! My only complaint was the “loop” it got into near the later seasons. Could tell they were just doing another lap each time it got renewed . (Like HIMYM)

DESTROYA

I’ve only watched the early 80’s version on late night reruns back in the day.
All I remember is silver armored dudes ( cyclones ? ) but not much else.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You learn to like him tbh. I disliked him because he's a peace of shit but he's such a loser It kinda makes him more sympathetic.

The show is fucking excellent for the first two seasons. GOAT moments like GOT sprinkled throughout its runtime. They fucked up season 4 but can't blame them because the damn writers strike killed all the momentum. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost a bunch of writers after they came back. It doesn't finish strong.

It's definitely a cheap looking show. But they still pulled off some epic battles.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm not sure if this is just the blu ray or if they did this when the show aired live too, but what's up with the little preview montages before the episodes start? They're full of spoilers. Absolutely fucking pointless and I have to fast forward past them to avoid seeing spoilers. Makes no damn sense at all.

I stopped watching during or after season 4. The show was just going wired stupid places and it was definitely the definition of making shit up on an episode by episode bases. I wish I finished it though just to see how it ended.

Dazrael

I'm not sure if this is just the blu ray or if they did this when the show aired live too, but what's up with the little preview montages before the episodes start? They're full of spoilers. Absolutely fucking pointless and I have to fast forward past them to avoid seeing spoilers. Makes no damn sense at all.
Hah I feel your pain. It was shown that way when it aired too and I used to avert my eyes when that bit was on.

Ionian

I tried after someone hounded me to watch it, think I got 3 seasons in before giving up. Just wasn't for me, found it boring.

Hnjohngalt

BSG just dragged on a too long. I appreciate how it ended. But the last season dragged.
I just started Babylon 5 since its on HBO/Max. Made it to season 4 in 2 weeks of watching. I really like the show. Much cheesier than BSG, yet it is very entertaining. Reminds me of Starcraft story wise.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Baltar is starting to get better. I’ve accepted that some of the acting and actors are going to be cheesy in comparison to say HBO, AMC shows. That episode where Baltar’s cylon chick appears on the Galactica with the video of him and then disappears was a fun episode. Still like Starbuck and Adama the best.

eot

Banned
Baltar is starting to get better. I’ve accepted that some of the acting and actors are going to be cheesy in comparison to say HBO, AMC shows. That episode where Baltar’s cylon chick appears on the Galactica with the video of him and then disappears was a fun episode. Still like Starbuck and Adama the best.
Baltar is a completely absurd character but he adds a lot to the show, it wouldn't be the same without him. Also took me a bit to warm up to him.

fatmarco

No. I couldn't even finish watching the whole series.
The first half of Caprica is weak, however the second half turns the show around and finale is great. Just a shame that a lot of the Cgi is a bit overly ambitious on its budget, although some shots look gorgeous still.

Shubh_C63

I was completely sucked in that show when I watched it years ago. It does gets boring in the middle of half an arc but damn that shows highs are really high. And they balance hard science really well.

Looking forward to OPs review really.

Pallas

Gold Member
Been kind of interested in that show, how does it compare to Star Trek(TNG, DS9, VOYAGER)?

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Been kind of interested in that show, how does it compare to Star Trek(TNG, DS9, VOYAGER)?
It's a completely different style of sci-fi, and it has a continuous story instead of stand-alone episodes, unlike most of Star Trek. In terms of atmosphere it's also very different, while it's not gory and "adult" in the HBO way, a lot of people die and some pretty bad stuff happens. It's a show about survival. Quality wise, it's easily one of the top sci-fi shows ever, even with its flaws.

If you want something more like Star Trek, check out Babylon 5, which is more of a slow burn than BSG, but very rewarding in the end. It's Star Trek without the idealism.

Top Bottom