• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still don't know Dhalsim's special moves in Street Fighter II (And subsequent releases)

I was just now playing some Street Fighter II Turbo on my SNES, and it got me thinking. I have no clue how to pull off Dhalsim's moves in this game, or any other Street Fighter game. I know Ryu/Ken's moves like the back of my hand (also helps that like 90% of other fighting games use their joystick/button combo as well). I know Guile's, E Honda, Chun li, etc. I'll go to my grave with those special moves in my head, as it was just something you had to learn and know back in the day if you were gonna be any good at your local arcade, but I never learn Dhalsims.
Now, I know I can just look up his move list online and learn them in a few seconds, but that is not why I am creating this post. I just found it funny that there is a section of this game, of which I still have no information on. I can't do Dhalsim's moves to save my life.
So all this to ask the GAF community. Are there any staple fighting games out there, of which there are characters that you have no earthly idea how to play or pull off their special moves. Is there some character that you never learned, even though it is a decades old game, and you could have probably learned it at some point?

I noticed there is no Pointless tag, so I just used Clickbait

cireza

Banned
Is there some character that you never learned, even though it is a decades old game, and you could have probably learned it at some point?
Well no, there isn't. Because you only needed to open the manual back then, and ever since we reached the Dreamcast, movelist have been included in the pause menu.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
to this day I have always wondered the following and hopefully an UMK3 enthusiast can help:

I remember back in my SNES days CPU Mileena would do a combo with a kick that would launch you into the air and finish it with a roundhouse. i would do the same inputs but the 5th hit, the launcher kick, would just be a regular one. To this day I do not know if doing this combo is possible for human controlled Mileena.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
So all this to ask the GAF community. Are there any staple fighting games out there, of which there are characters that you have no earthly idea how to play or pull off their special moves. Is there some character that you never learned, even though it is a decades old game, and you could have probably learned it at some point?
...no? Old games came with a manual.
Modern games you hit pause and literally the entire movelist is a button press away.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
In regards to Skreet Fighter, I've yet to really pull off anything successful with Dan. I don't know how other players manage.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
My main way of interacting with Street Fighter II as a kid was just the actual arcades--where the moves list wasn't printed anywhere on the standard cabinet as far as I recall--so I'm surprisingly quite similar to you... I can do just about everyone else's moves, but don't think I've ever successfully used a Dhalsim teleport.

My main way of interacting with Street Fighter II as a kid was just the actual arcades--where the moves list wasn't printed anywhere on the standard cabinet as far as I recall--so I'm surprisingly quite similar to you... I can do just about everyone else's moves, but don't think I've ever successfully used a Dhalsim teleport.
Yeah, thanks. I feel like some of these other posters on here are had a different upbringing, but I never had the convenience of just having the information right in front of me. I learned from watching / talking to other people at the arcade, and then trying to learn/perform the moves on my own. It all just sorta stayed like that, as I never got deep into SF or MK gameplay beyond what I learned back in the day.

DaGwaphics

I still remember every SF II Turbo move. Dhalsim as no Problem, the only move i always failed at was Zangief's 360 piledriver.

This, the number of hours spent in that game on Genesis has seared the controls into my brain. For whatever reason I had a hard time getting the time right on Chun Li's swirl kick when trying it in the air, I would hit it now and again but not consistently. Besides the couple of characters that I disliked, Balrog and Vega just seemed too one note.

Pejo

Try this one, OP.

Dw19LBoUYAE7rKp

recursive

ITT a bunch of EVO world Champs.

Op, there are plenty of characters I didn't learn. But I consider learn to mean be functional with in matches, not just the basic moves like some of these pros in here that read a manual and did a fucking hadoken and called it a day.

Neo_GAF

Banned
I was just now playing some Street Fighter II Turbo on my SNES, and it got me thinking. I have no clue how to pull off Dhalsim's moves in this game, or any other Street Fighter game. I know Ryu/Ken's moves like the back of my hand (also helps that like 90% of other fighting games use their joystick/button combo as well). I know Guile's, E Honda, Chun li, etc. I'll go to my grave with those special moves in my head, as it was just something you had to learn and know back in the day if you were gonna be any good at your local arcade, but I never learn Dhalsims.
Now, I know I can just look up his move list online and learn them in a few seconds, but that is not why I am creating this post. I just found it funny that there is a section of this game, of which I still have no information on. I can't do Dhalsim's moves to save my life.

I noticed there is no Pointless tag, so I just used Clickbait
I remember back in elementary school there were children i played SF with, who said shit like: "ugh, who wants to play the dirty person who dances with elephants".
same went for shit like: "yuck, no one want to play a woman with no muscles."
boys being boys, but you know, at this young age, shit starts to grow.
this is why representation is important.

tygertrip

Well no, there isn't. Because you only needed to open the manual back then, and ever since we reached the Dreamcast, movelist have been included in the pause menu.
Wasn’t no manual at the arcade, other than sometimes stuff printed on the cabinet. I remember when EGM published the SF2 move list, we couldn’t get to the arcade fast enough! LOL. My cousin was big into SF1 (before SF2 came out), and we spent many a quarter trying to figure that shit out. It wasnt popular enough for the magazines.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It was a standard way before Dreamcast.
All fighting games on PS1 and Saturn had movelist.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Street fighter characters move list back then were either similar to ryus or guiles with the occasional zangief thrown in. That's really all you needed to learn for the basics.

Dhalsim was somewhat unique with the Yoga Flame/Teleportation/and the extended range. Once you got good at executing the flame quickly that was one of the strongest moves in the game at close range because it came out of nowhere.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I just got the Street Fighter collection for my Switch Lite and I CANNOT pull off the Dragon Punch while facing left and using the control stick. It is just possible using the joypad.

I don’t have this problem on Xbox. Imho, the Saturn has the best SF controller, but there is no way I am going to pay 500$ for Alpha 3.

Top Bottom