• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still think about Metroid Dread (Metroid 5)

In my opinion, Metroid Fusion was one of the most beautiful looking Game Boy Advance Game Boy Advance games when it came out 18 years ago, and the different color schemes unique to each level played a large part in immersing me in the game's atmosphere. It's also the first Metroid game that I played, so I remember it fondly like how some people think back to Final Fantasy VII or GTA: Vice City, the first games for many in their respective series. But on top of the great graphics, atmosphere and music, Metroid Fusion had an intriguing concept where you were not only stripped of your abilities and had to work to regain them over time but you were also being hunted by a parasite, the SA-X, that mimicked your original appearance and full power. The idea of the hunter, Samus Aran, becoming the hunted was really cool as well as the look of her new suit that translated beautifully on a small 16-bit handheld screen.

fusion7.gif

When I think about Metroid Dread, the cancelled sequel to Fusion reportedly for the Nintendo DS Nintendo DS , the first thing that always comes to mind is a possible spookier iteration of Metroid where Samus is also being hunted by the Galactic Federation. I think about the potential of an even better-looking 2D Metroid instead of what we actually ended up getting - Metroid Prime: Hunters - which I just hated because I could not get used to the controls. Don't get me wrong, I think the DS and 3DS are great handhelds, but how ironic is it to try to port the Metroid Prime experience on them knowing it's not going to control the same. But I digress...

I'm curious what other fans of Metroid Fusion were expecting of Metroid Dread, what it might look like and the direction Nintendo would take the story? What are some 2D games available for the DS that might more or less represent what a superior 2D Metroid could have looked like?

As far as actual Metroid 5 news is concerned, to my knowledge there is just the idea that Samus Aran might confront a rebel faction of Chozo, based on this almost 3-year old video by GameXplain.

-Arcadia-

Banned
No bitterness, but I’ve given up.

Fusion had such a cool story set-up for the next one, and what we heard of a Dread sounds cool, but it just doesn’t seem like it’s happening. 2002 was a lifetime ago.

To be real, I’m not even sure another 2D Metroid is a possibility, and while Mercurysteam did a good job with the latest remake, I wasn’t tremendously impressed to the point where another game from them would excite me.

Unfortunately, it looks like Hunters, the stall-out of Dread, and Metroid: Other M’s development and failure, fundamentally ended that era of 2D Metroid, and has left it in this weird state where even if a game maybe gets made, by Sakamoto’s own admission, Nintendo won’t spare the resources and will have to partner up with an outside developer.

All good things, and such.

Paltheos

No bitterness, but I’ve given up.

Fusion had such a cool story set-up for the next one, and what we heard of a Dread sounds cool, but it just doesn’t seem like it’s happening. 2002 was a lifetime ago.

To be real, I’m not even sure another 2D Metroid is a possibility, and while Mercurysteam did a good job with the latest remake, I wasn’t tremendously impressed to the point where another game from them would excite me.

Unfortunately, it looks like Hunters, the stall-out of Dread, and Metroid: Other M’s development and failure, fundamentally ended that era of 2D Metroid, and has left it in this weird state where even if a game maybe gets made, by Sakamoto’s own admission, Nintendo won’t spare the resources and will have to partner up with an outside developer.

All good things, and such.

Samus Returns is an ok game. It's still worse than the fanmade AM2R, but I had a fun time with it. Were you not a fan? (and if not, play AM2R!)

Aldric

If a Metroid 5 ever gets released I hope one thing it nails is mechanical depth. The series has progressively become more and more simplistic culminating in Other M being an Uncharted style automated clusterfuck but even games like Prime and Fusion started the trend towards less options and less ways to utilize them in creative ways. Things like Crystal Flash, the beam combos, wall jumping actually requiring some skill largely contributed to making Super Metroid a legendary game. There actually was a small glimpse of that in Samus Returns with the Power Bomb Morph Ball launcher but it didn't exactly have a lot of utility. If Metroid 5/Dread is made I really want it to be as open ended and deep as Super.

MagnesG

Banned
That’s kind of the point. It’s an okay/good game. I just didn’t get Metroid-quality feelings from it.
The original sucks and SR only makes the game more action-y.

Personally I think it's good, while AM2R is ultimately just a fangame remade in gba metroid style, nothing new except for a few bits of sprites.

That fly-by of Nightmare, seeing his shadow move against the background, was really cool in Fusion. I liked his creepy green face reveal too and I think you fight him again in Other M. Fusion had many cool boss battles.

And even if we don't get Metroid 5, it will still be interesting to see the updated character model for Samus in Metroid Prime 4. Whether in 2D or 3D, her design is really iconic in gaming.

It's been a loooooong time since I've played Fusion, but I do not have fond memories of it.
I picked up an rg350, and have been playing through Zero Mission again, I'll give Fusion another go after that.

kunonabi

That’s kind of the point. It’s an okay/good game. I just didn’t get Metroid-quality feelings from it.

The second half is just a complete shit show. They just start throwing abilities at you and it feels very rushed. And of course they completely ruined the end of the game which didnt help matters.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It's been a loooooong time since I've played Fusion, but I do not have fond memories of it.
I picked up an rg350, and have been playing through Zero Mission again, I'll give Fusion another go after that.
Fusion is the perfect gateway to Dread. Nintendo has been thinking of this game for centuries. You just know it's going to be amazing.

You're sure necrobumping a lot of crap lately.

Dread was announced a while ago. We've already discussed that a game called Metroid Dread was supposed to release in 2006 a lot.
What else did I necrobump?

Why do you keep @'ing me today?

I guess because you falsely accused me here and people jumped on you for it?

The OP predicted this a month before it was announced.

It was worthy of a bump. :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom