• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think 5th gen games still look really good

do you think 5th gen games look good?

• Yes

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters
Some PS2 games look half decent upscaled, but the stuff before, looks barely better than Starfox/Starwing or oldass Battlezone. It was was the tech then allowed, so for the time tolerable, but it usually aged rather poorly unless it had a very distinct style- like Battlezone which kinda looks okay.

GymWolf

You can cut diamonds with those edges.

Very few games still look decent from that era, vagrant story being one of the best example.

Last edited:

IAmRei

still seems ugly for some, but for me it's kind of relic in a good way, the best for me, is megaman legend series, still looks artsy up to this day for me

You could cherry pick a few games from that error that don't look like ass.... But I would argue that all of them need improvements to be acceptable even if you're trying to be authentic to the graphics of the time. Higher frame rates and resolution to be one of them and I was never a fan of the wobbling polygons or blurriness respective to their consoles.

I agree with someone else earlier in the thread who said that they believed the games were ugly even then and I concur. It's just that they were revolutionary and 3D had just begun so it was acceptable at the time but not by today's standards in my opinion.

DaGwaphics

OP, it's just you. Most of the early 3d console games just about make your eyes bleed.

Had a blast with them back in the day but have a hard time going back to them today, unless it is a title that I have a lot of nostalgia for. Basically DC forward for me when it comes to 3D.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
When things that were suposed to be round are cubes plus all the pixellated stuff and aliasing, you get ugly things. Nothing is more abominating than FFVII chars from outside battles.

love the games, love how devs had to do more with less, love how it was a learning period so you'd see weird stuff, loves the aesthetics, even loved the slowdown half the time (added to the character/experience).

but from a technical standpoint theyre garbage.
and some interlaced 320x240 crap on some tiny ass CRT? no thanks, had more than my fill of that already.

Top Bottom