• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think it's time for Nintendo come back to the power race

KAL2006

Banned
Here me out.

Most people expect the successor of Switch to be Switch 2.

And I agree, but I think Nintendo should go the dual console route.

We should get
Switch 2
Switch 2X

Switch 2 will be your normal successor, similar to the Switch it can be docked. Will support 720p handheld mode, and 1080p docked.

Switch 2X should be a console only super powered console. All Switch 2 games will be compatible with 2X however they will have higher framerates, RT, 4k support. But the extra thing they can do is have 2X exclusive games that are not held back by portable power. This way they would get all the bug 3rd party games releasing on 2X. Nintendo themselves don't even need to make 2X exclusive games they can support regular Switch 2, but have 2X enhancements such as 4K and RT. All Switch 2 games will be cross buy and work on 2X only we would have some 2X exclusives.

Basically
Switch 2 will continue Nintendo's domination of the kids, and casual market.
Switch 2X will bring back the 3rd party Devs that need more power and expand to hardcore gamer audience.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
spongebob squarepants lol GIF

Stuart360

Probably the only way they would get me back (although thats doubtful after going PC only). And with the way their fanbase gobbles up anything they put out (on the whole, not always), it would be a welcome decision.
Plus it would mean Nintendo actually getting 3rd party suport for a change.

What an annoying company they can be.

Kataploom

Gold Member
No, your idea of "attracting 3rd parties" is wrong for two reasons:

1. You'd be splitting userbase, unless the less powerful model can run the games well enough.

2. If less powerful model can run the games well enough, then the efforts to make a port would be even grater due to optimizations for a second machine.

3. Nintendo 3rd party is currently not bad, you won't mostly see AAA games come day one to Nintendo consoles due to a lack of audience overlaping. It's just not the same, and it's not just a matter of power.

They dont have the games or talent to do that now, nor the engineers. They have been equal to a potato chip rich couch man from 2006-2017 they'd have to come up with a crap ton of new staff and departments for such a thing and have connections they no longer have to get discounts on chip. Powerful chips, to even start walking.

Probably the only way they would get me back (although thats doubtful after going PC only). And with the way their fanbase gobbles up anything they put out (on the whole, not always), it would be a welcome decision.

Realistically if nanite tech can be extended beyond the inanimate towards animate organic characters and fine subpixel detail such as hair(perhaps by handling or processing the hair at pixel level at 4k or 8k and downsampling to lower resolution where it'd be subpixel.), you'd have infinite detail, especially if combined with future ray tracing global illumination. Specs won't matter then, it'd be like the difference between a bluray and a 4k bluray of the same pixar movie.

edit:
This can probably be done by increasing resolution behind the scenes around the hair and areas with subpixel details, that way DLSS can extrapolate nanite areas without subpixel detail, but the areas with subpixel details are being processed at a higher resolution than the rest of the image.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Nintendo fights the graphics game with excellent art direction, not tflops. The reality is that some of the earliest games with 8 bit graphics are still more fun than the ones pushing photorealism. Nintendo is more committed to making fun games with broad appeal that feature recognizable family friendly franchise characters. BotW is considered one of the best open world games and it runs on the Wii U. They don't need it and frankly many games that try to show off with better graphics fall in their faces.

Dream-Knife

Banned

If you have another device, why would third party support on a Nintendo matter to you?

Stuart360

If you have another device, why would third party support on a Nintendo matter to you?
Well i'm just talking in general, for everyone, not just for me.
I would like to see a powerful Nintendo device that can run current level games, and get better looking Nintendo exclusives.

whatyearisit.gif

It's been almost 20 years since the GC, Nintendo doesn't care about performance, because its audience doesn't care either.

They should just go third party, instead. It's better for everyone (except shareholders, but fuck'em). xD

A Nintendo store like Steam, accessible on any platform. And they could still offer a Nintendo box, if they want to.

Last edited:
Nintendo is more committed to making fun games with broad appeal that feature recognizable family friendly franchise characters.
This has nothing to do with hardware power or graphics, they are not mutually exclusive.

Nintendo has weak hardware because they found their highest profit comes from cheaper hardware and higher prices. I can't blame them.

Their most successful consoles since the SNES have all been significantly weaker than the competition - Wii, DS, 3DS, Switch. When they compete on hardware, they fail - N64, GameCube. Even Wii U had a short period of time when it was the strongest console for sale.

i hate the fact that i have to buy a nintendo system just to play zelda and donkey kong. wish they would just go 3rd party and save the hassle of having to buy their shitty overpriced hardware.
True ai will bypass this, one of the capabilities of true ai is perfect emulation of arbitrary systems including recently released consoles and OSes, in one month it thinks a million months, and decompiles and understands the source perfectly bypassing all human defenses.

Once we have true ai, you cannot ban perfect understanding, which allows for perfect emulation of arbitrary systems.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
they have nvidia and arm. If they wait enough for a portable they'll be able to have UE5 nanite with DLSS, and even future nanite which might handle skeletal character deformations too.
This. There’s no need to go console only when mobile technology is advancing so fast and they are partners with Nvidia which means a “free” 4x resolution bump when docked using DLSS.

Here me out.

Most people expect the successor of Switch to be Switch 2.

And I agree, but I think Nintendo should go the dual console route.

We should get
Switch 2
Switch 2X

Switch 2 will be your normal successor, similar to the Switch it can be docked. Will support 720p handheld mode, and 1080p docked.

Switch 2X should be a console only super powered console. All Switch 2 games will be compatible with 2X however they will have higher framerates, RT, 4k support. But the extra thing they can do is have 2X exclusive games that are not held back by portable power. This way they would get all the bug 3rd party games releasing on 2X. Nintendo themselves don't even need to make 2X exclusive games they can support regular Switch 2, but have 2X enhancements such as 4K and RT. All Switch 2 games will be cross buy and work on 2X only we would have some 2X exclusives.

Basically
Switch 2 will continue Nintendo's domination of the kids, and casual market.
Switch 2X will bring back the 3rd party Devs that need more power and expand to hardcore gamer audience.

Get a load of this guy wanting Nintendo to fail.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
The Switch has barely the power of the PS3 while having unrivaled record sales. 2017's Zelda BOTW is still full priced. They don't need to compete power wise, especially with $500 consoles which are sold at a loss.

Fbh

Nintendo has had some of their biggest success in these past decades by not focusing on power and going for a different approach than Sony/MS instead of directly competing with them. I don't see them interested in going back to the power race and, to be honest, given their profit focused approach at best you'd probably get a $600 console that's as powerful as a Ps5.

Also, having 2 versions of a console with widely different game libraries sounds like a terrible idea.

JCK75

I can handle the lower power, my biggest gripe is how unflexible they are with your account and digital purchases.
with steam I've got the client running on at least 8 devices and can just hop on and play on any given one (just not at the same time)
I have an Xbox Series X and a One X in two different rooms, no issues installing the same games across the account and playing on one or the other ( and many of these games can also install on windows 10 AKA the 8 devices mentioned above).

Try to use the same account on more than one switch? nope!!

KAL2006

Banned
i hate the fact that i have to buy a nintendo system just to play zelda and donkey kong. wish they would just go 3rd party and save the hassle of having to buy their shitty overpriced hardware.

Just emulate everything. That's what I do I also have a hacked Switch for playing my legal backups. One thing I noticed to be a Nintendo gamer is expensive my cousin has a Switch and I'm shocked how much he has to spend on games. While I'm getting games on Plus or dirt cheap after a years wait.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The type of games they make dont need uber power. And since they dont care about third party devs (who focus on power) they havent focused on catering to them for generations. Nintendo is happy if they get a crappy port 3 years later. Or no port.

The fanbase is skewed to Nintendo first party and small scale indie games. And thats enough.

If they crave big third party games or competitive online play, they'll play on PS, Xbox or PC.

Last edited:
Just emulate everything. That's what I do I also have a hacked Switch for playing my legal backups. One thing I noticed to be a Nintendo gamer is expensive my cousin has a Switch and I'm shocked how much he has to spend on games. While I'm getting games on Plus or dirt cheap after a years wait.
wait long enough and everything ends in the hands of the master race, the pc master race, everything ends emulated.

Riot Games Galaxy GIF by VALORANT

outer space swimming GIF by ptrzykd

dr dangan ronpa GIF

even humans
touko fukawa kyouko kirigiri GIF

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
In response to everyone saying Nintendo not focussing on power has worked well for them I'm not disagreeing. But in business it's all about thinking ahead and expanding your userbase while you are on top. Nintendo are currently on top, yes they can do more of the same but why not just do that plus more.

A child with a Nintendo Switch may eventually graduate and get into more adult game and big a PS5. Why can't Nintendo think ahead and have that option also available so they don't lose that customer. Also developers won't have to develop for 2 systems. They can just make those big AAA games for 2X only which will use similar architecture to a PC with a Nvidia card anyways. The handheld system will also have it's own game, if a developer once to make a game for the handheld only it will be playable on 2X without the need to port.

I just think if Nintendo randomly announce

Switch 2
Switch 2X (more powerful than PS5 and Series X with Nvidia card, surprise mortherfuckers)

Alot of people would be excited for a 2X. A simple trailer with a next gen Zelda that has RT, 4K, would get gamers going crazy for it while they can still release the game on a cheaper device to not lose there main audience.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Realistically if nanite tech can be extended beyond the inanimate towards animate organic characters and fine subpixel detail such as hair(perhaps by handling or processing the hair at pixel level at 4k or 8k and downsampling to lower resolution where it'd be subpixel.), you'd have infinite detail, especially if combined with future ray tracing global illumination. Specs won't matter then, it'd be like the difference between a bluray and a 4k bluray of the same pixar movie.

edit:
This can probably be done by increasing resolution behind the scenes around the hair and areas with subpixel details, that way DLSS can extrapolate nanite areas without subpixel detail, but the areas with subpixel details are being processed at a higher resolution than the rest of the image.

The difference between Blu ray and 4k Blu ray is huge but not because of resolution specifically. 4k discs often support a better variety of audio encodings, additionally sound configurations and HDR.

This has nothing to do with hardware power or graphics, they are not mutually exclusive.

Nintendo has weak hardware because they found their highest profit comes from cheaper hardware and higher prices. I can't blame them.

Their most successful consoles since the SNES have all been significantly weaker than the competition - Wii, DS, 3DS, Switch. When they compete on hardware, they fail - N64, GameCube. Even Wii U had a short period of time when it was the strongest console for sale.

They aren't mutually exclusive, but you also don't need cutting edge graphics to make the best game of all time. You need solid art design of course, but if Nintendo felt it needed stronger hardware to create compelling games, they would pursue it. That's why they did chase power a couple of times in the past, avenues of innovation were limited at those times or cost prohibitive. The Wii U was never the strongest console from the games I played on it. It maybe had the most combined power or something on paper, but I don't remember seeing a single cross platform game that ran better on Wii U than the Xbox 360.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
you quoted TheGodfather07 TheGodfather07 but put my name above it. Why would you do that. I don't sound anything like TheGodfather07 TheGodfather07 . He is cool and all, but he isn't me.

Edited for my own reading error. Sorry Omega Supreme Holopsicon Omega Supreme Holopsicon

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Graphics don't mean anything anymore. AAA gaming is striving for ultimate realism, but that doesn't make games better or more fun, yet they invest absurd amounts of money into it.

The age of graphics is over. Video game ideas are not restrained by hardware power anymore (proably haven't even been since the PS3), but considering the unfavorable relationship between AAA development budgets (which mostly go into the creation of graphics) and innovation/fresh & free ideas/artistical freedom visually and gameplay-wise, I'd even say, hardware power is a hindrance, since it fueles this bad AAA/Innovation ratio.

In this day and age - and the ever growing indie-market is a good exmaple of that - the creation and good execution of simply good ideas/gaming concepts, great artstyles and "fun gameplay" are more relevant than ever -, so basically just the "fundamentals" of great game design.

Last edited:
Graphics don't mean anything anymore. AAA gaming is striving for ultimate realism, but that doesn't make games better or more fun, yet they invest absurd amounts of money into it.

The age of graphics is over. Video game ideas are not restrained by hardware power anymore (proably haven't even been since the PS3), but considering the unfavorable relationship between AAA development budgets (which mostly go into the creation of graphics) and innovation/fresh & free ideas/artistical freedom visually and gameplay-wise, I'd even say, hardware power is a hindrance, since it fueles this bad AAA/Innovation ratio.

In this day and age - and the ever growing indie-market is a good exmaple of that - the creation and good execution of simply good ideas/gaming concepts, great artstyles an and "fun gameplay" are more relevant than ever -, so basically just the "fundamentals" of great game design.
I want Zelda with similar art style and level of graphics to the following, after that graphics don't matter

I will let Mr. Nintendo know about your request.
you jest, but one day there may be ai components at heart of corporations making the biggest decisions.

Humans themselves are similar to corporations, the brain is like a network of voting elements ruling akin to a democracy, it seems, the human mind is divisible it has components, that is the nature of mind, all mind including god's mind.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

In this day and age - and the ever growing indie-market is a good exmaple of that - the creation and good execution of simply good ideas/gaming concepts, great artstyles an and "fun gameplay" are more relevant than ever -, so basically just the "fundamentals" of great game design.
Agreed.

Aside from Nintendo fans, I think PC, Xbox and Sony fans will always crave better visuals, but it gets to a point people want some more gameplay and skip the ear hair physics.

Like the latest GDC UE5 face scans. OK, that bearded guy looked great with realistic looking skin textures even with believable pores. Well, I'm not sure how often a game is going to put a character like that in your face on a 4k screen to see zits and pores but how about some better physics, AI and stuff like that?

I'm not even a Battlefield fan, but I can totally appreciate wide scale destruction, giant teams and vehicles. Why cant your usual action or adventure game have some destructible environments (even to a lesser scale)? Instead you got crates and rubbish with physics but you can never topple trees or cave in dungeon corridors. Even breaking down a door might not be doable.

Last edited:
If they ever made their hardware current, and God forbid actually future proofing a bit, I’d be day 1 for a home console.
there are 5g chips that allow wireless transmission of high rez VR signals at high framerate, such chips could allow a portable console to connect both to a TV, as well as to future Smart Glasses that can project 100" Virtual TV screens that move around with you everywhere you go.

you quoted TheGodfather07 TheGodfather07 but put my name above it. Why would you do that. I don't sound anything like TheGodfather07 TheGodfather07 . He is cool and all, but he isn't me.

Edited for my own reading error. Sorry Omega Supreme Holopsicon Omega Supreme Holopsicon
Errors can have big consequences, and mislead, the dragon ball theme song is chala es chala, which sounds like schala a creative choice or error, as I'm told the true name of Schala is Sarah, as in god's hebrew word for princess.

Such mistakes can lead to misinterpretations of what it is the human culture intends to say with human culture.

Also the fact that clones of Sarah(from chrono trigger) are blond light eyed does confuse, as master race is said to be blonde light eyed. Adding special bosses wherein Sarah has power to destroy all of existence, also begs the question, what is being implied with such.

The japanese notion of blonde girl vampires, such as in monogatari, and vampire bund, also seem connected. Pattern completion is said related to level of intelligence, but pattern completion can also be viewed as pattern disambiguation, or symbolic interpretation. Art of handling symbolic systems for higher levels of meaning hidden within the symbolic structures.

Last edited:
Ain't happening, chief.

Nintendo, since the success of the Wii, make their revenue on software + overpriced hardware with big margins, like Nvidia (and AMD now who have started to do this), unlike the traditional console model of making console at cost of BoM or even take losses to push their boxes for market penetration and make money off of royalties and dlc from 3rd parties, which Microsoft and Sony are currently still doing.

The best thing you're getting is a decent arm CPU with high and LP cores with a RTX 3050 (or Ti) class GPU in 2022/23 for the Switch 2 that'll DLSS everything to dynamic 4K when docked and 720p or 800p handheld, on the same screen that's probably on the Switch OLED.
All Switch 2 games will be compatible with 2X however they will have higher framerates, RT, 4k support. But the extra thing they can do is have 2X exclusive games that are not held back by portable power. This way they would get all the bug 3rd party games releasing on 2X.

This isn't the 3DSXL >>> N3DSXL situation here. If they change the hybrid model at the start of the generation, with confused messaging, then it's a recipe for disaster, just like the Wii U. Maybe a TV-only console later (which I doubt), but at launch?

Basically, ain't happening, chief x 2.

Ain't happening, chief.

Nintendo, since the success of the Wii, make their revenue on software + overpriced hardware with big margins, like Nvidia (and AMD now who have started to do this), unlike the traditional console model of making console at cost of BoM or even take losses to push their boxes for market penetration and make money off of royalties and dlc from 3rd parties, which Microsoft and Sony are currently still doing.

The best thing you're getting is a decent arm CPU with high and LP cores with a RTX 3050 (or Ti) class GPU in 2022/23 for the Switch 2 that'll DLSS everything to dynamic 4K when docked and 720p or 800p handheld, on the same screen that's probably on the Switch OLED.

This isn't the 3DSXL >>> N3DSXL situation here. If they change the hybrid model at the start of the generation, with confused messaging, then it's a recipe for disaster, just like the Wii U. Maybe a TV-only console later (which I doubt), but at launch?

Basically, ain't happening, chief x 2.
Smart glasses incoming and will disrupt need of screen in portable device, smaller screen preferable coupled with smart glass VR control, in fact the portable device can be controlled screenless with VR screens and intuitive buttons.

With sufficient tech, solidness of Augmented Reality screen is possible, nontransparency, do not know rate of advancement at apple.

Didn't pan out too well for Sega. No Nintendo is going to continue to do their own thing. Nintendo + PC really is the way.

sega software even at its peak isnt even in the same league as nintendo software imo. nintendo would absolutely kill it as a multiplatfom publisher. can you imagine a zelda game on hardware like the PS5 and XSX? its the stuff of dreams.

Last edited:
sega software even at its peak isnt even in the same league as nintendo software imo. nintendo would absolutely kill it as a multiplatfom publisher. can you imagine a zelda game on hardware like the PS5 and XSX?
I'd say with some exceptions, sonic 2 with sonic and knuckles and sonic 3 were masterpieces of nintendo caliber.
speeding video game GIF by Sabato Visconti

Sonic The Hedgehog Im On My Way GIF by SEGA

Blue Blur GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

There is tight relation between nature of time, intelligence, speed and power. Between artificial intelligence and godlike speed. This is why flash defeated the union of brainiac and luthor in godlike state, realization of intimate relationship between the celestial elementary symbolic structures.

Last edited:
Top Bottom