• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think it's time for Nintendo come back to the power race

Yes they should but they trained their fans to be happy with the bare minimum so it won't happen until the other big tech companies start to eat at their profit.

brian0057

Banned
Nintendo + PC really is the way.
flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Kokoloko85

Not needed. The next portable will probably be able to play all the 3rd party games downscaled. Nintendo has been doing great with the Switch and having all there studios making games for 1 piece of hardware instead of splitting it between a portable and a console.

Nintendo has not done well with consoles since the Snes apart from the Wii.

Even in Japan where people claim its Nintendo land, it‘s not. Its portable land.
The N64 sold less than the Sega Saturn. Gamecube did awful in Japan as did the Wii U.
Even the Wii, which is Nintendo’s best selling console ever, it only sold 2 million more in Japan than Sony’s worst selling console the PS3 and it was a 3rd of the price.

Nintendo should carry on just doing a Hybrid Switch 2. Its been great and truly changed the industry and portable gaming devices forever.
Next gen they’ll have the better tech so more 3rd party support. Plus they will need to make alot more games because they won’t have much more Wii U and Wii ports to do, so lots of new games will be needed.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

that's the thing. Nintendo makes its stuff for Japan first and foremost. That's the market they are aiming for. Their decisions make a lot more sense in this context.

Last edited:

Termite

Switch is making WAY more money than 3DS X Wii U, so they obviously made the right choice to streamline into one console/portable hybrid devision.
Yes. But more important is the even longer view - the N64, Gamecube and Wii U were all relative or absolute failures. The Wii's sales graph shows that it was a fad of sorts. A brilliant fad, but a fad. Nintendo's home consoles haven't performed well for a long, long time. I'm sure that played a huge role in their decision to transition entirely to handheld tech.

That said, I fucking loved the N64, Gamecube and especially the Wii U, lol. I wish they WOULD make another home console. But it's the right decision for them not to.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I miss the anticipation what a next gen Mario, Zelda or Metroid game could look like with new tech. Now we all know BOTW2 will look exactly like BOTW and struggle to hit 30fps.

Elysion

Banned
I miss the anticipation what a next gen Mario, Zelda or Metroid game could look like with new tech. Now we all know BOTW2 will look exactly like BOTW and struggle to hit 30fps.

And we won’t see a Zelda game with new tech for a long time. 2027 at the earliest, probably later.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if Metroid Prime 4 ends up a launch game for the Switch successor.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
And we won’t see a Zelda game with new tech for a long time. 2027 at the earliest, probably later.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if Metroid Prime 4 ends up a launch game for the Switch successor.

Yeah but it wont be 'cutting edge' new tech like the Gamecube. #sad

tr1p1ex

but that's because Botw2 isn't being released next-gen ...unless it is delayed for Switch 2.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes. But more important is the even longer view - the N64, Gamecube and Wii U were all relative or absolute failures. The Wii's sales graph shows that it was a fad of sorts. A brilliant fad, but a fad. Nintendo's home consoles haven't performed well for a long, long time. I'm sure that played a huge role in their decision to transition entirely to handheld tech.

That said, I fucking loved the N64, Gamecube and especially the Wii U, lol. I wish they WOULD make another home console. But it's the right decision for them not to.
Console crowd likes power and tons of first party AND third party games. Wii was an outlier due to the fad effect as you said. It sold so fast and dropped like a rock equally fast it was absurd. I think by 2011, 360 and PS3 were already outselling it on annual sales. The gaming crowd went back to buying MS and Sony.

But the handheld crowd is different. They just want some fun games to do on the couch or on the bus. I dont think the typical handheld gamer is wanting to sit there for 4 hours playing marathon sessions of Fallout or COD. So they dont care. And due to power, most know if they want to play those kinds of games, it's better on another console or PC with better specs and more robust online features.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It could still be a much better game with even deeper physics, interaction, and emergent gameplay systems, and it will sell tens of millions.

Keep in mind Switch is more powerful than the Wii U and the Wii U was the base console for BOTW, so it won't have it holding it back.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Console crowd likes power and tons of first party AND third party games. Wii was an outlier due to the fad effect as you said. It sold so fast and dropped like a rock equally fast it was absurd. I think by 2011, 360 and PS3 were already outselling it on annual sales. The gaming crowd went back to buying MS and Sony.

But the handheld crowd is different. They just want some fun games to do on the couch or on the bus. I dont think the typical handheld gamer is wanting to sit there for 4 hours playing marathon sessions of Fallout or COD. So they dont care. And due to power, most know if they want to play those kinds of games, it's better on another console or PC with better specs and more robust online features.
If they liked power they'd be buying PCs.

Do you have any idea how simultaneously pathetic and condescending this is?
He understands, that's the point

Last edited:
And why not both.

My OP has stated to make 2 systems, 1 hybrid and 1 dedicated powerful console.
They think there’s no point. They know what they're doing. There's already 2 power profiles ; docked mode and portable.

After The Wii U sold what it did, they're probably never going to mess with a pure home console again. And Wii U sold what it did while there was no alternative home unit. Switch is already a home unit ; a switch pro could easily sell less than Wii U.

Some people have already told you, that those gamers wanting their 3rd party games all in one place are already invested in playstation or Xbox, and having those games looking pristine on Nintendo hardware as well wouldn't shake things up for them.

What you're advocating for is literally only catering to the die hard Nintendo audience. Nintendo just doesn't have the amount of die hards that Sony has and that's why they've had to rely on changing things up.

They just can’t build this state of the art console you’re clamoring for and still make a large profit on each unit. The price would be higher than what Sony charged, and only die hards would buy it. That’s a lot of r&d, just to sell a fraction of the units the main one sells.

Business wise your proposal makes no sense.

Last edited:

Artistic

Maybe, but they probably shouldn't.

I know I can't see a Nintendo console being my primary for 3rd party releases.

MrA

Banned

console crowd likes fifa, gta, and call of duty, if they liked power the ps4 pro and xbox one x would not have been constantly outsold by the earlier models

No thanks, just an up to par home console with hdmi 2.1 will do.
In 2 to 3 years if a next gen switch releases we may be past hdmi 2.1

Also smart glasses can provide artificial monitor screens over 100" in fact it can be a portable cinema screen, assuming the tech is advanced enough. A window like monitor or tv, which you can close and open anywhere anytime, in addition to lightfield holograms if advanced enough.
Besides ARM instruction set license, Apple's M1 is an ARM CPU clone and it has very little to do with ARM LTD's CPU RTL IP.
True, but in a sense it is mobile cpu tech, also nvidia fusion with arm will allow them to develop similar and fight x86. AMD is also rumored to be developing high end arm based processors that can compete with desktop x86.

Cattlyst

I kinda miss the days when Nintendo boasted about having 'the fastest, most powerful games console on Earth' (actual N64 advertising slogan iirc)

I kinda miss the days when Nintendo boasted about having 'the fastest, most powerful games console on Earth' (actual N64 advertising slogan iirc)
n64 was a joke, I hear framerates of 15-24fps were present, while psx had 30fps and even 60 fps high rez games.

For example chrono cross is relatively high rez, and it also has the most detailed 3d model of that era, FATE.(3d facial structure and expression as well as individual fingers, and relatively high rez textures for the era)

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
One thing I don't get is why everybody feels the need to advise Nintendo when they're slaughtering everyone else.

Is the platform on track to be the best selling ever not enough? :rolleyes:

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
MS and Sony already offer the market expensive game boxes, why add another? In all honesty, I don't agree with any of the 3 companies completely, but as someone who's been gaming on pc AND consoles since I switched from Commodore 64, this generation I appreciate Nintendo's game and console approach more than MS (own a 360) or Sony (own ps1, ps2, ps3, and regretting ps4).

cHaOs667

IMHO Nintendo should abandon the hardware manufacturing and switch to a game developer (mobile and consoles).

The Switch has unfixed Hardware issues (Joycon drift in all iterations of the console, screens that can't be read if there is too much sunlight - yes, I'm looking at you, Switch lite), a bad OS (including bad apps which you need for some functions of the OS like parental control), a horrible online experience and one of the worst online stores in the industry.

The only thing that is really excellent are the games they produce. A title like Breath of the Wild could be easily a hit on any other platform.

Marty-McFly

Banned
IMHO Nintendo should abandon the hardware manufacturing and switch to a game developer (mobile and consoles).

The Switch has unfixed Hardware issues (Joycon drift in all iterations of the console, screens that can't be read if there is too much sunlight - yes, I'm looking at you, Switch lite), a bad OS (including bad apps which you need for some functions of the OS like parental control), a horrible online experience and one of the worst online stores in the industry.

The only thing that is really excellent are the games they produce. A title like Breath of the Wild could be easily a hit on any other platform.
Once again, Switch is on track to be the best selling platform of all time. Nintendo is selling software hand over fist and they get a 100% cut of the profit on their own platform.

How is this "Nintendo should go third party" meme still a thing? Nothing about your post makes any sense whatsoever on the business side.

Last edited:

cHaOs667

Once again, Switch is on track to be the best selling platform of all time. Nintendo is selling software hand over fist and they get a 100% cut of the profit on their own platform.

How is this "Nintendo should go third party" meme still a thing? Nothing about your post makes any sense whatsoever on the business side.
I don't care for "their" business side. I wrote that this is my opinion.

But still there is a thing that does make sense. The development of a whole platform, including online services (Cloud hosting, CDNs, Engineers etc.), Software development (OS, SDK, Companion Apps), Support (End Customers, Business), Sales Teams, Logistics, QA (Software, Hardware, Certifications), and the maintenance this is expensive. And the biggest stake is normally the cost of the employees.

Staff is always one of the biggest stakes in any revenue report, and I would be surprised, if Nintendo could not make more (net) money profits if they would just "throw" 10-30% of their share per game sale at MS or Sony and get rid of 70+% of their employees.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think they should do a switch pro but the twist on it should be it’s a console that you keep plugged into the tv and not be portable.

never gonna happen though 😂😂

Mithos

I think I might have owned a Switch by now if Nintendo had designed it to run the TX1 at full speed when docked.

TX1 Specs.
------------
A57: 1.9 GHz
A53: 1.3 GHz

GPU:
1000 MHz (T210) / 1267 MHz (T214, Mariko)

Gflops:
512Gflops (T210) / 649Gflops (T214, Mariko)

Switch Docked ~ 393Gflops...

Spacefish

More expensive hardware, more expensive software development, longer dev times leading to fewer games and higher risk aversion. All to enter a race they will inevitably lose to PC.
Nintendo has to do anything but enter the power race, it's a move only a clueless exec would make.

Last edited:

Celine

In response to everyone saying Nintendo not focussing on power has worked well for them I'm not disagreeing. But in business it's all about thinking ahead and expanding your userbase while you are on top. Nintendo are currently on top, yes they can do more of the same but why not just do that plus more.
You don't expand your userbase by doing what others already do, you do it by providing new values that positively surprise the consumers.

I'm all for Nintendo releasing two different console lines around the same period however the differentiation factor between them should not be the rather unimaginative "power", that's the thinking of a dull company and Nintendo isn't dull.
What I expect is that in the future Nintendo will release an iteration of the Switch line and a new console based on a revolutonary concept that provide an experience never seen before (for example an AR based tabletop console).

Yeah, Nintendo after recording the highest operating profit ever for a console manufacturer in the past fiscal year should abandon console manufacturing.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'm going to throw this out there because it is silly. Next switch will be Switch U. It will be dockable, portable, and half-dockable where you can use the switch and controller like the WiiU controller. It will confuse the crap out of people and will launch with New SMB U2.

Nah I think they reached perfection with Switch - they don't need to enter power race again since their handheld hybrid is unique offering on the market (compared to rest of big 3).
The best thing they can do is DLSS for next generation of Switch so it makes quality of TV better.

Zannegan

I don't care for "their" business side. I wrote that this is my opinion.

But still there is a thing that does make sense. The development of a whole platform, including online services (Cloud hosting, CDNs, Engineers etc.), Software development (OS, SDK, Companion Apps), Support (End Customers, Business), Sales Teams, Logistics, QA (Software, Hardware, Certifications), and the maintenance this is expensive. And the biggest stake is normally the cost of the employees.

Staff is always one of the biggest stakes in any revenue report, and I would be surprised, if Nintendo could not make more (net) money profits if they would just "throw" 10-30% of their share per game sale at MS or Sony and get rid of 70+% of their employees.
This is the company which had its upper management take a pay cut rather than fire employees when they were down during the recession. Thank goodness they don't think like you.

And do you honestly think that the company that is raking in the dough on both hardware and software (and that just reported the most profitable year of any videogame company ever, no?) would be better served by cutting out a core part of its business for the twin privileges of losing all control over hardware and control inputs and forking over 30% of their own software sales to other platform holders? Not even the back to back disasters of the 3DS and Wii U launches could push them into it. Why? Because it's a bad idea, has always been a bad idea, and should only be considered as an absolute last resort.

Even by your logic, Nintendo should be the last to get out of hardware, whereas MS and Sony who are paying all of those costs and still lose money on their hardware should be looking to cut and run, becoming third party developers for Nintendo and PC. Weird how you don't see that recommended more often by armchair analysts.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

In 2 to 3 years if a next gen switch releases we may be past hdmi 2.1

Also smart glasses can provide artificial monitor screens over 100" in fact it can be a portable cinema screen, assuming the tech is advanced enough. A window like monitor or tv, which you can close and open anywhere anytime, in addition to lightfield holograms if advanced enough.

True, but in a sense it is mobile cpu tech, also nvidia fusion with arm will allow them to develop similar and fight x86. AMD is also rumored to be developing high end arm based processors that can compete with desktop x86.
I have no interest or use for 5G chips wirelessly sending video signals no any type of gimmicky glasses. Once again, I’ll take a powerful him console in a heartbeat.

Silvawuff

I dunno why people insist Nintendo should take up fisticuffs with other gaming companies. Their strategy has always been to ignore their competitors (and their customers lol) to do their own thing.

It's frustrating as hell, but I also think it's a catharsis of a free gaming industry guided by international and cultural motivations.

Here me out.

Most people expect the successor of Switch to be Switch 2.

And I agree, but I think Nintendo should go the dual console route.

We should get
Switch 2
Switch 2X

Switch 2 will be your normal successor, similar to the Switch it can be docked. Will support 720p handheld mode, and 1080p docked.

Switch 2X should be a console only super powered console. All Switch 2 games will be compatible with 2X however they will have higher framerates, RT, 4k support. But the extra thing they can do is have 2X exclusive games that are not held back by portable power. This way they would get all the bug 3rd party games releasing on 2X. Nintendo themselves don't even need to make 2X exclusive games they can support regular Switch 2, but have 2X enhancements such as 4K and RT. All Switch 2 games will be cross buy and work on 2X only we would have some 2X exclusives.

Basically
Switch 2 will continue Nintendo's domination of the kids, and casual market.
Switch 2X will bring back the 3rd party Devs that need more power and expand to hardcore gamer audience.

What people don't realize is "power" is inevitable for Nintendo. What people also don't realize is you don't need to be cuttiing edge to obtain power.

Nintendo will make a console Native 4k 60fps DLSS, Ray tracing, global illumination, eventually. (while everyone else is attempting get at 8k 120fps, etc)

For Switch 2 and 2X to have the spec you suggested would be cutting edge, and Nintendo doesn't do that.

Last edited:

Amory

From a business perspective it wouldn't make a lot of sense to re-enter the arms race. It's really not their market at all. Switch has done great with 3rd party stuff from the PS3/360 era remasters, if Switch 2 could handle PS4/Xbox One era stuff in the same portable form factor they'll be golden

. Once again, I’ll take a powerful him console in a heartbeat.
5g can also connect to a tv, wirelessly if the tv has the adequate chip the dock need no cable towards the tv. Now if for some reason you insist on cables, then that will likely be provided unless tv manufactures decide they are obsolete.

And again if there's a way to scale nanite to details such as hair and organic deformation of creatures, and if this is combined with ray traced global illumination, more power will mean little. Or will you be arguing for 16k 2000fps? You know the brain can't operate at higher than 1000Hz, there are also limits to visual resolution, and given the v1 brain area differences between humans some have even less acuity than is theoretically possible from the eye.

And you say gimmicky glasses, as if VR and AR were gimmicks. People pay hundreds of dollars for average women to do a strip tease in some low end bar. With such glasses eventually, a woman with the right cameras can remotely transmit live strip tease. 10/10 super good looking women for free, interacting and receiving money digitally. In fact she could have a screen in front and you could pay to appear in that screen by paying the right amount.

That is just one of the uses.

Also mmd dances could look like they were actually there in the real world.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
Don’t care about portability.
Just put the money into the hardware! They won’t unfortunately..

Top Bottom