• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Kojima made me reevaluate my stance on physical vs digital ownership of media

reksveks

If we ever reach that state, the content in its original form only exists in your memory and dies the moment you die. This has never been possible in the history of mankind. Today we can look at manuscripts dated from thousands of years ago and learn from history.
Getting some real deja vu but ignoring that.

I am pretty sure the estimate of the amount of written history we have lost (accidentally and intentionally) is like 80%+.

Also isn't the Council of Nicaea one of the most obvious example of cancel culture?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Getting some real deja vu but ignoring that.

I am pretty sure the estimate of the amount of written history we have lost (accidentally and intentionally) is like 80%+.

Also isn't the Council of Nicaea one of the most obvious example of cancel culture?
We have lost a great deal of historical documents, but we rely on the assumption that what we can still find is honest.

One thing is removing access to content (cancel culture), while another thing is editing content in the past so that nobody ever gets the chance to experience it in its original form. If we ever reach that state, the content in its original form only exists in your memory and dies the moment you die. This has never been possible in the history of mankind. Today we can look at manuscripts dated from thousands of years ago and learn from history.

The future threat that Kojima presents is a tough one to fight with potential serious consequences to the development of society; we will no longer be able to learn from the past as the past will exists as it is told by the dominant lines of thought.
Ok, it's pretty clear you aren't updated on the topic. Cancel culture is the exact definition of what you're saying. When Disney launched Disney + they did exactly that, they edited previous films to erase what might be considered bad today.

Jadsey

As long as your property taxes are paid you get the ability to stay there in that house (at least here in the US that is how it works).

I usually double dip if the title is available physically.
I buy digital for ease of current access and I buy physical as a backup/because something has to decorate my house.

Of course this is only for consoles. PC games have been digital only (outside of a few exceptions) for years at this point.
I live in the UK and our second home is in France.

We don’t have property tax in the UK. We pay ‘rates’ for rubbish collection, policing etc. But if you don’t pay it you just get taken to court.. your home isn’t at risk or anything.

godhandiscen

Ok, it's pretty clear you aren't updated on the topic. Cancel culture is the exact definition of what you're saying. When Disney launched Disney + they did exactly that, they edited previous films to erase what might be considered bad today.
Yeah, you are right about Disney. I purposely try to avoid Disney content and news and I hadn't realized that they had already taken the next step. It doesn't surprise me Disney was the first to do do cancel culture next gen.

Kumomeme

Are you saying Kojima is super hot and also a pussy ass bitch? Or is there a game called Superhot, and you for some reason chose this thread to call the developer of the game a pussy ass bitch? Also, what did he do?

You have it backwards. Everything physical has an expiration date. Digital is the only hope for preservation.
even hdd/ssd also has 'expiration' date. digital risk is higher. keep on server, if whole building burned down then what? game data in hdd. if data loss then what? infected by virus etc then what? storage corrupt? how about streaming services? the data never been in you storage since beginning meanwhile physical copies if stored properly it risk of data losses is less. especially if next few decade ahead. sure if device contain the data still survive after longer period then it is still there but the risk is higher than physical copies.

we even already had real world situation for this. for example square enix did lose of their source data for Kingdom Heart games. luckly there is physical copies and from there the devs able to recover the data.
"Kingdom Hearts 1 was created a long, long time ago, so actually the original data was missing already," he explained. "It was lost, so we had to research, and we had to dig out from the actual game what was available and recreate everything for HD. We had to recreate all the graphics and it was actually not that easy."-Tetsuya Nomura

another example is retro snes game catridge. as long those still available around, then it not lost

Last edited:

dcx4610

The problem is that modern games on discs are just digital download keys. There's a bit of data on the disc but you basically need the entire to get your patches and the rest of the game.

I'm firmly physical on movies. I like watching movies more than once and I like knowing (especially with with 4K) that I only have to buy the movie one time and have it forever whenever I want it and in the best possible quality. That's worth owning forever to me.

Modern games are tricky. At least with PC, you can download the files and then back them up and if needed, you could crack the executable if it requires Steam or another service. As much as I love physical media, it's digital even if you go physical now. For previous generations like the Xbox 360, I get everything physical since you can fully install the games from disc and there are very few patches. For cart based games, I think flash carts are the most future-proof way to go.

Last edited:

P.Jack

The problem is that modern games on discs are just digital download keys.
People keep stating this, but does it hold any merit? I’ve yet to see any evidence of this being true.

As for myself, I always play all my games without updating when I try them out for the first time. 300+ PS4 discs later, I’ve yet to run into any issues. Sure, it’s only the first hours of the games, so a bit anecdotal, but that’s hardly ’needing a patch to play’. Sometimes there is noticable performance improvements and I guess if you are unlucky, you’ll run into some nasty bugs. That’s it.

Only games I know that really needs a patch is always-online stuff, but that’s a given.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People keep stating this, but does it hold any merit? I’ve yet to see any evidence of this being true.

As for myself, I always play all my games without updating when I try them out for the first time. 300+ PS4 discs later, I’ve yet to run into any issues. Sure, it’s only the first hours of the games, so a bit anecdotal, but that’s hardly ’needing a patch to play’. Sometimes there is noticable performance improvements and I guess if you are unlucky, you’ll run into some nasty bugs. That’s it.

Only games I know that really needs a patch is always-online stuff, but that’s a given.
Sure, updates make games better but not every game is cb 2077... Which I also finished fine day 0.

People act like these patches change the game. It's worse without patches but most times you would not notice what changed without digital foundry

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
He’s right and I’ve been wrong. I was 100% into digital but after seeing the censorship over the last few years driven by China and the far left I’m happy to admit I’ve been wrong all these years.

P.Jack

He’s right and I’ve been wrong. I was 100% into digital but after seeing the censorship over the last few years driven by China and the far left I’m happy to admit I’ve been wrong all these years.
It’s not something that’s considered alot, but having access to two versions is another benefit with physical. Playing vanilla versions of fighting games pre-balance updates is pretty neat. Then there is stuff like No Mans Sky that is pretty much a different game when unpatched. And of course licensed stuff like music tracks getting swapped.

Daymos

Does physical really help? I deleted Mario Odyssey and weeks later I put the cart in to play.. and it says "an update is required to play this game.". I couldn't even get to the title screen.

Unless you never download patches and maybe even never update your hardware you can still have censorship tacked onto physical games.

That reminds me diablo3 worked without patches when I got it.. I'm sure they would like to make a mandatory patch for it to remove the sexist developers names. We need to delete the existence of all guilty persons. Sort of like now you can't like harry potter cuz jk Rowling has been condemned by the sjws.

Synless

Does physical really help? I deleted Mario Odyssey and weeks later I put the cart in to play.. and it says "an update is required to play this game.". I couldn't even get to the title screen.

Unless you never download patches and maybe even never update your hardware you can still have censorship tacked onto physical games.

That reminds me diablo3 worked without patches when I got it.. I'm sure they would like to make a mandatory patch for it to remove the sexist developers names. We need to delete the existence of all guilty persons. Sort of like now you can't like harry potter cuz jk Rowling has been condemned by the sjws.
That’s not true about Mario. You need to choose to play without updating.

dcx4610

Sony is less guilty but there are still some examples.

On the Xbox Series X for instance, if you get a Xbox Series X Enhanced game, the system treats it like a Xbox One game and then downloads the build to make it XSX. It will install the Xbox One files from disc and then download a 30+GB patch for the enhancement. So theoretically if you didn't have any internet or the servers go down, you'd only get to play the Xbox One version of the game on your XSX.

With Nintendo and the Switch, some games only have the partial game on the card and require a download for the rest.

With the PS4 and Xbox One, you could certainly get by with discs and they still made a bit more sense. But with the heavy use of patches and more and more games arriving broken, it became more of a gamble. With PS5/XSX/Switch, we're seeing more of that and with Microsoft and Nintendo, they are really forcing their hand at pushing digital even if you have a physical game.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I live in the UK and our second home is in France.

We don’t have property tax in the UK.
Yeah the US is a different story. You pay a % (based on any number of varying factors mostly your state/city/county) based on your homes worth.

So while you may have paid off that $250,000 home you still owe, for example, $8,000 per year in taxes.

You don’t pay those taxes and eventually your home is repossessed.

Whomeam

Neo Member
I feel like being able to use additional HDDs easily will erase any issue I currently have with digital ownership. Being able to save them to the drives and change out when full will help out a lot. Just need the drives to get a little cheaper.

P.Jack

Sony is less guilty but there are still some examples.

On the Xbox Series X for instance, if you get a Xbox Series X Enhanced game, the system treats it like a Xbox One game and then downloads the build to make it XSX. It will install the Xbox One files from disc and then download a 30+GB patch for the enhancement. So theoretically if you didn't have any internet or the servers go down, you'd only get to play the Xbox One version of the game on your XSX.

With Nintendo and the Switch, some games only have the partial game on the card and require a download for the rest.

With the PS4 and Xbox One, you could certainly get by with discs and they still made a bit more sense. But with the heavy use of patches and more and more games arriving broken, it became more of a gamble. With PS5/XSX/Switch, we're seeing more of that and with Microsoft and Nintendo, they are really forcing their hand at pushing digital even if you have a physical game.
I don’t know about xbox or switch since I own neither, but afaik, Sony still mandates the required firmware to be included on the disc, which tells me they still take offline playseriously. So I’m not worried (yet). And thanks to Cyberpunk, I think they’ll avoid printing broken games on discs even more in the future.

I know most games are best played fully patched up, but they are still playable without internet connection. And the vast majority of games can be enjoyed without any issues. This is based on my own experience and research and like I said, I’ve yet to see anything that proves otherwise.

I knew switch have games with required downloads because of cart-size issues, but I did not know xbox had issues aswell. So thanks for the heads up, I’ll look into it more closely once I get one!

nkarafo

This is not a digital VS physical thing. It's DRM vs no-DRM.

GoG games are also digital. But you can back them up and install them as many times as you want, on any PC you want. These will never be lost despite being digital.

Physical can still be lost due to data degradation. These CDs/DVDs/Blu Rays will eventually rot. Probably the chips inside the old cartridges too. But if you rip/dump them into digital data like ISOS/roms they will live forever as long as you back them up. Or as long as they are in circulation.

So basically, non-DRM digital copies are the best way to ensure preservation. Cracked games is a close second.

This is not a digital VS physical thing. It's DRM vs no-DRM.

GoG games are also digital. But you can back them up and install them as many times as you want, on any PC you want. These will never be lost despite being digital.

Physical can still be lost due to data degradation. These CDs/DVDs/Blu Rays will eventually rot. Probably the chips inside the old cartridges too. But if you rip/dump them into digital data like ISOS/roms they will live forever as long as you back them up. Or as long as they are in circulation.

So basically, non-DRM digital copies are the best way to ensure preservation. Cracked games is a close second.

You are completely right.

Digital copies without DRM (or a cracked version) are much more reliable than physical media, and the only way to really preserve the entire game, with all the patches.

Yeah, you are right about Disney. I purposely try to avoid Disney content and news and I hadn't realized that they had already taken the next step. It doesn't surprise me Disney was the first to do do cancel culture next gen.
Netflix has done it too. When they release something that causes outrage they edit certain parts to appease the bullies

godhandiscen

Netflix has done it too. When they release something that causes outrage they edit certain parts to appease the bullies
Interesting. I don't really follow the cancel culture scene. I was tipped of the tweet by a friend since I find Twitter toxic and it seems that these movements mostly emerge there.

I guess we are already in that world to some degree. :(

Shift!

Digital preservation is a growing trend among curators and enthusiasts, especially with distribution coming to a head during the current net neutrality debate and laws which sanction pretty much any kind of economic scheme under Steam, GOG, and Origin. If it came down to it, preservationists would probably get the final say in what can and cannot be shared among users.

Wonko_C

After witnessing the uptake of social media censorship in the last few years, I have become more aware of the negative impact of censorship and how it affects me. If you disagree with the negative impact of censorship, then stop reading this thread, you’ll always be happy.

In the linked tweet, Kojima is describing a future in which digital content is censored retroactively to fit the ideals of the predominant culture forces of the future, and this concept made me very afraid.

In the past decade, I’ve preferred digital over physical due to the many benefits that digital formats offer over physical, however, retroactive censorship had never been a consideration in this argument up until today. All of the digital content I “own“ is tied to publishers that again and again have caved to the demands of the dominant cultural voices in pursuit of bigger profits.

While nothing that these publishers have done so far really bothers me (I actually embrace some of this change), due to the evolution of society, the time will come when these publishers and I disagree at a fundamental level.

Obviously, if this scenario occurs, I can opt to not to consume future digital content, but what if the option to consume the digital content I enjoy, the classics of today, is suddenly taken away? What if every digital copy of Halo is suddenly modified to use call the main character “Prime Officer”?

What do you think GAF?
M4jUZtC.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the US is a different story. You pay a % (based on any number of varying factors mostly your state/city/county) based on your homes worth.

So while you may have paid off that $250,000 home you still owe, for example, $8,000 per year in taxes.

You don’t pay those taxes and eventually your home is repossessed.
I hope that number isn't real. 3% of property tax is insane.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I hope that number isn't real. 3% of property tax is insane.
It get's worse...that number can increase up to 10% EACH YEAR based on "growth" in your area.

You get the chance to oppose the increase as well but you have to show up (well...pre covid) in court and present supporting documentation as to why the increase should not be valid.
Now you just do that process over a Zoom call.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It get's worse...that number can increase up to 10% EACH YEAR based on "growth" in your area.

You get the chance to oppose the increase as well but you have to show up (well...pre covid) in court and present supporting documentation as to why the increase should not be valid.
Now you just do that process over a Zoom call.
Wtf is usa. In Poland we pay 2% tax once when purchasing the property if I remember correctly but it can be a part of mortgage.
Yearly, I pay like 20 usd city tax total based on my sq metrage.
Nobody cares about value of your place. Only it's flat size. The tax is paid only to the city office. Presumably, the bigger your place is, the more of a city infrastructure it uses, hence the tax

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
even hdd/ssd also has 'expiration' date. digital risk is higher. keep on server, if whole building burned down then what? game data in hdd. if data loss then what? infected by virus etc then what? storage corrupt? how about streaming services? the data never been in you storage since beginning meanwhile physical copies if stored properly it risk of data losses is less. especially if next few decade ahead. sure if device contain the data still survive after longer period then it is still there but the risk is higher than physical copies.
It's trivial to keep multiple redundant copies of digital data in multiple locations. Can't do the same with your physical disk. Every single time you play using your physical disk you are risking it. Not the same with digital.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

same
It's trivial to keep multiple redundant copies of digital data in multiple locations. Can't do the same with your physical disk. Every single time you play using your physical disk you are risking it. Not the same with digital.
same goes with digital.

also for square enix example, i doubt they dont have multiple digital backup. like you said, it is trivial. but in the end all loss.

MrFunSocks

Banned
same

same goes with digital.

also for square enix example, i doubt they dont have multiple digital backup. like you said, it is trivial. but in the end all loss.
I feel like you didn't read the part of my post before the bit you bolded....

There is literally zero risk me playing my digital games. I have them all backed up, I'm not playing the backed up copy - it's a backup. Me playing on one HDD has no effect on the back up copy. Physical doesn't have this luxury.

Kumomeme

I feel like you didn't read the part of my post before the bit you bolded....

There is literally zero risk me playing my digital games. I have them all backed up, I'm not playing the backed up copy - it's a backup. Me playing on one HDD has no effect on the back up copy. Physical doesn't have this luxury.
i did

MrFunSocks

Banned
what you mean? just keep the physical copies properly.
Every time you play a physical copy of a game you risk doing damage to your only copy. Every time you put that physical copy away somewhere, there is a risk that it gets damaged or degrades.

With digital, you don't have those risks. You can have them backed up a dozen times, in different places, on different hardware. There is zero risk of your only copy of the game being damaged or degraded.

Do you disagree with that?

I’d argue ps4 ISOs from discs are probably more future proof than their digital counterparts. But I get that’s not what you meant.
Correct, because you can't play them on anything.

Last edited:
I have 2 microservers and 40tb of movies and documentaries and audiobooks, so I am good.

Only complaint is neither server box nor HDD price has dropped in the last couple years.

Kumomeme

Every time you play a physical copy of a game you risk doing damage to your only copy. Every time you put that physical copy away somewhere, there is a risk that it gets damaged or degrades.

With digital, you don't have those risks. You can have them backed up a dozen times, in different places, on different hardware. There is zero risk of your only copy of the game being damaged or degraded.

Do you disagree with that?

Correct, because you can't play them on anything.

just keep it properly bruh. also for game preserverence, even if your copies is lost due to your failure, there is chances that other people still owned it. those old unopened snes Mario and Zelda game that people sell for high price out there is good example. how about if a company has multiple copies of them? but if it digital, then it could be trickier. example with kingdom heart game i mentioned above in this post. there also chances multiple data in single storage like hdd/sdd could lost in one go.

funny that you think by keep running storage like hdd, backup it for 'dozen' times etc like you said has zero effect. like...what? are you sure?
you should know that there effect of write cycle toward storage lifespan including hdd, sdd etc that you keep in server, consoles, pc right?

sure you can do alternative backup it on different place, but if all those destroyed then how? how about if you never has the game in your storage since beginning? like streaming services. everything on server. if there is massive earthquake destroy everything for example, then how you gonna get the game back? if there is power outage on where the location of your data stored then what? get hacked, infected by virus then what? especially with age nowdays where everything is connected, where your data could be compromise by ransomware etc. you can think plenty of scenario.

Every time you put that physical copy away somewhere, there is a risk that it gets damaged or degrades.

There is zero risk of your only copy of the game being damaged or degraded.

8GoBunc.png

ofcourse, dont take everything in the image as immediate face value. it depend on various condition too. but basically thats the gist of it. optical disc like DVD and CD for example theoritically can last for 1000 years. but safest bet 10-25 years. ofcourse, depend how it being take care of. nintendo catridge? 10-20 years. but probably longer based what we see out there. there is also higher quality of disc that people use for archives.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
just keep it properly bruh. also for game preserverence, even if your copies is lost due to your failure, there is chances that other people still owned it. those old unopened snes Mario and Zelda game that people sell for high price out there is good example. how about if a company has multiple copies of them? but if it digital, then it could be trickier. example with kingdom heart game i mentioned above in this post. there also chances multiple data in single storage like hdd/sdd could lost in one go.

funny that you think by keep running storage like hdd, backup it for 'dozen' times etc like you said has zero effect. like...what? are you sure?
you should know that there effect of write cycle toward storage lifespan including hdd, sdd etc that you keep in server, consoles, pc right?

sure you can do alternative backup it on different place, but if all those destroyed then how? how about if you never has the game in your storage since beginning? like streaming services. everything on server. if there is massive earthquake destroy everything for example, then how you gonna get the game back? if there is power outage on where the location of your data stored then what? get hacked, infected by virus then what? especially with age nowdays where everything is connected, where your data could be compromise by ransomware etc. you can think plenty of scenario.

8GoBunc.png

ofcourse, dont take everything in the image as immediate face value. it depend on various condition too. but basically thats the gist of it. optical disc like DVD and CD for example theoritically can last for 1000 years. but safest bet 10-25 years. ofcourse, depend how it being take care of. nintendo catridge? 10-20 years. but probably longer based what we see out there. there is also higher quality of disc that people use for archives.
I honestly don't know why you're arguing so much on this. It's a cold hard fact that you are at less risk of losing a digital file that you have backed up than a physical copy that you only have a single version of.

I have a few NAS's each running RAID. I get warnings whenever there is a single fault detected on any of the 4 drives. I've had one of my NAS's for 7.5 years now, with the original disks all in them. Zero faults. Even if one of them just dropped dead with zero warning tomorrow, unless another one also drops dead with zero warning before I've got to replace that first drive and it rebuilds the volume, I've lost nothing. The chances of that happening are slim to none. That's the whole point.

You could accidentally step on a game case and snap your disc in half. Game gone. Destroyed. Your kids could decide to throw the discs around like frisbees, as kids tend to do. Game gone. Destroyed. Doesn't happen with digital.

The part that is mind boggling about your post is this:

With digital copies you have a chance of your data surviving those events. With a single physical copy, what if there is a massive earthquake that destroys everything? Your single physical copy is gone! You have now lost that game completely. With digital + backups you at least have a chance of it not being lost. Also there's a huge difference between streaming services and digital games. One streams the game to you, the other has you downloading a local copy of the game. You also seem to think that these companies only have servers in one place, ignoring geo-redundant copies. Microsoft have your data backed up across different continents. Europe could be blown off the face of the earth tomorrow and all of that data still isn't lost.

I'm sorry but reading your posts shows you're arguing in bad faith. Having a single point of critical failure with no backups is always worse than having redundant backups. If you don't understand this, or simply want to ignore it because you hold a grudge against the idea of digital games, then we're done here.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I honestly don't know why you're arguing so much on this. It's a cold hard fact that you are at less risk of losing a digital file that you have backed up than a physical copy that you only have a single version of.
thats my line. I honestly don't know why you're arguing so much on this. It's a cold hard fact that you are at less risk of losing a physical file than a digital copy no matter how many version of. dont ignored my point please just because it didnt align with you 'interest'. if it would made you feel better, i too backup tons of stuff digitally. but i never push aside alternative like physical completely and i believe it has better chances than digital. i keep both by the way.

also ignored all my point and keep repeation one copy over and over again. i talk about game preserverance as whole. not on stage of an individual alone. before some masterpiece lost from humanity forever, in next few decade ahead.

I have a few NAS's each running RAID. I get warnings whenever there is a single fault detected on any of the 4 drives. I've had one of my NAS's for 7.5 years now, with the original disks all in them. Zero faults. Even if one of them just dropped dead with zero warning tomorrow, unless another one also drops dead with zero warning before I've got to replace that first drive and it rebuilds the volume, I've lost nothing. The chances of that happening are slim to none. That's the whole point.

are you sure the rest of the world gonna have same fault rate as you? the image i posted above covered this. how many times you gonna replace those drives over and over again? and you confident your drives never let you down in future? dont be too confident mate. it might bite your back.

sure, if you manage to keep properly by yourself then it is great. but like i said, preserverance as general, but not individual. there always a risk. never be zero.

also i keep both.

You could accidentally step on a game case and snap your disc in half. Game gone. Destroyed. Your kids could decide to throw the discs around like frisbees, as kids tend to do. Game gone. Destroyed. Doesn't happen with digital.

none? are you sure? i you can said physical can has other risk than damage like get stolen, broken, etc same goes for your drives. how can it not applied? like i mention above. you get infected by malware, corrupt(you would keep said never happening, but it still could. therefore, risk still exist), data stolen, theft, sudden power outage that could damage the drives, your pc suddenly fall down and your drive affected etc and if anything else, everything could lose in one go. also write cycle has effect on drives health. i said this before. risk always present. never zero.

The part that is mind boggling about your post is this:

With digital copies you have a chance of your data surviving those events. With a single physical copy, what if there is a massive earthquake that destroys everything? Your single physical copy is gone! You have now lost that game completely. With digital + backups you at least have a chance of it not being lost.

i dont know how earthquake wont damaged your drives lmao. in the end your drives also 'physicaly' existed like others physical copies. anything can happend to physcial also applied to your drives. you can repeat single physical copy over and over again. once massive scale earthquake happened, it would affect everything no matter how many it is there. keep on cloud? pray cloud server is unaffected. there still risk, but never zero.

for example Amazon data center is affected by earthquake. hard drives, thousand of them and it just 5.8 magnitude:

(he clearly pretend this never happened)

unless you have those data center level of dissaster protection, but still, like this example, risk is there.

I'm sorry but reading your posts shows you're arguing in bad faith. Having a single point of critical failure with no backups is always worse than having redundant backups. If you don't understand this, or simply want to ignore it because you hold a grudge against the idea of physical games, then we're done here

grudge? LOL. why would i keep grudge over storage type? from my perspective, you the one have grudge over physical media. it is funny you think physical is not a backup. in the end, even if people backup digitally, physical always there as alternative. i never refused digital completely. it just i believe physical has better chances. but you seems you only choose over one option completely and disregard everything despite, i believe i made pretty good sounded argument myself. but in the end, you just ignored my point, just because my view not aligned with yours.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's a cold hard fact that you are at less risk of losing a physical file than a digital copy no matter how many version of.

Completely and unarguably false.

none? are you sure? i you can said physical can has other risk than damage like get stolen, broken, etc same goes for your drives. how can it not applied? like i mention above. you get infected by malware, corrupt(you would keep said never happening, but it still could. therefore, risk still exist), data stolen, theft, sudden power outage that could damage the drives, your pc suddenly fall down and your drive affected etc and if anything else, everything could lose in one go. also write cycle has effect on drives health. i said this before. risk always present. never zero.
Backups of digital content make that all completely irrelevant lol. Lets say my PC suddenly fell down and my drive was affected and I lost a game. Big deal, I just plug in another drive that has the digital copy of the game, or I simply download the game again. What do you do if your physical disk breaks when your console falls over and the disc is affected?

Nothing, because your game is now gone forever. I lost nothing, you lost your only copy of the game.

We're done here.

Last edited:
Yeah, but cutting access is one thing. Retroactively editing the content is another different ball game.
The effect is the same, this is also why we want games to be released in a "finished" state and not be "supported" after they hit the market, except for dlc/expansions.

Imagine a game that has a timed sound track? 🤢🤮

Obviously multiplayer and MMO type games are a whole other story.

Kumomeme

Completely and unarguably false.
ok bro. only i in the wrong here. you alone in the right. okay~

Backups of digital content make that all completely irrelevant lol. Lets say my PC suddenly fell down and my drive was affected and I lost a game. Big deal, I just plug in another drive that has the digital copy of the game, or I simply download the game again. What do you do if your physical disk breaks when your console falls over and the disc is affected?
ok. you didnt read any of argument i type there. read please. how many time i need to repeat this and how many times you gonna ignored that. what if your other drives also destroyed. we talk about earthquake here mate. then what if the data center that stored your game get destroyed or affected. i give Amazon example. it is happened. click the link i gave please. dont ignored it just because it not align what you personally believe. also what gonna happened if your precious account is compromised. there is tons of account hacking where detail got leaked happened. heck, even for example few years ago Sony server get hacked and lot of ID details got leaked. if your account lost forever then how you gonna download back your games? but on otherhand if you has your physical copies....

disc destroyed? no problem there plenty of copies out there and like im said i talk about game preserverence as general, not individual. so a game wont lost forever in history. dont make me repeat this again. also you keep repeating "only copies" while trying to ignored other point over and over again like it is your mantra. you clearly didnt read what ever i type in previous reply. bruh c'mon. to be fair your only drives could wipe out everything inside. same goes for single data center and your only account.

is server, data center completely safe?

is your account completely safe?:

We're done here.

Edit: this guy clearly scared to read whatever i type here

Last edited:

Kumomeme

We sure are lol.

Now you've moved on to accounts being hacked lol. What in the world does that have to do with having backups of digital games? Incredible, you're all over the place and not making sense anywhere. Ignored.

Confused Little Girl GIF

"..or I simply download the game again."-MrFunSocks, 2021

yeah keep ignored others argument and evidences, dont read any of it just because it not align with your views and later pretend suprised pikachu face despite you actually didnt read and understand whatever others keep telling you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom