• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think that, overall, Elite: Dangerous won the competition for the best space sandbox game revival

Which of the modern space sim games currently available on the market is the best one?

• Elite: Dangerous

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Star Citizen

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • X4: Foundation

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
Star Citizen remains in development, and it's been so long that even meme'ing on that game got old a few years ago. Now it's just a pathetic joke and only the most die-hard fanboys still cling to the hope that this will ever turn into something that's worth playing.

No Man's Sky redeemed itself in the end and it's a decent game but it doesn't really feel like an actual space trading and simulator game. It's more like a survival crafting game in space. It definitely doesn't carry the torch of those classic games like the original Elite series, Wing Commander: Privateer, or the X series.

Speaking of, we also got X4: Foundations a few years ago, and in typical X fashion, it was and largely remains a very robust and deep game that's also pretty much impenetrable for most players. It's very much a game only for the most hardcore fans of the genre. And being an X game it's also very much the same euro jank that it always was, albeit more competently put together than the disastrous X: Rebirth.

And then we have Elite: Dangerous.

After many years of post-launch updates and a number of expansions, it finally managed to realize the idea of a dream game that was seeded in my brain when I first started hearing rumors about all those space sims that started development in the early 2010s and for a while were going head-to-head in a race for the throne of THE best space sim revival game.

My history with this game was kinda tumultuous, though. I remember being so excited by the idea of being dropped into this huge universe full of limitless potential for adventure and discovery. I was so hyped that I preemptively started seeking out alternatives that were already available on the market at the time, just to satiate my thirst for space exploration. I dropped dozens of hours into games like Freelancer, DarkStar One, and even the aforementioned X: Rebirth - each unique and fun in its own way but always failing to deliver the kind of freedom and level of immersion that I was looking for.

A couple of years went by, and both SC and NMS were still nowhere to be found. But then I kept seeing all those YouTube videos from guys like Scott Manley who kept gushing over the realism and presentation of Elite: Dangerous in the early access versions, and my hype was almost going through the roof whenever I listened to him talk about it. Luckily, it was also the first game of that whole bunch to see an official 1.0 release, so I ravenously lunged at it as soon as it dropped on Steam, even though I could barely rub two coins together during that period of my life. I didn't care, I had to play this game. And in a lot of ways, it justified a lot of that hype that I built up in my head for it. The presentation was stunning, the scale and realism of the world were completely mind-blowing, and the gameplay struck a perfect balance between complexity and newbie-friendliness. It does require a lot of patience to get the hang of all of its systems and mechanics and you also need to pay a lot of attention to what you're doing if you want to avoid fatal mistakes but, at the same time, it feels intuitive enough that it's actually really engaging and fun to learn. Like a well-designed piece of machinery that takes time to master but doesn't blow up in your face every 30 minutes due to poor mechanical construction. So I kept having a nerd-off after nerd-off about stuff like realistic Newtonian physics and faithful recreation of various celestial bodies, and I was in complete awe of the vast, almost incomprehensibly huge galaxy while exploring various regions of the Milky Way. This included a lengthy trip to Horse Head Nebula (which is now sadly locked behind a number of the in-game system permits) or a very costly attempt at reaching Sagittarius A, which ultimately ended in catastrophic failure. Discovering the dangers of exploration and space trucking, often by trial and error, was great fun.

But then the honeymoon period was over. Slowly but surely I started realizing just how much grinding it took to get anywhere in this game, and after weeks upon weeks of exploration my wealth was still nowhere near enough to upgrade to a more beefy ship and try my hand at actual bounty hunting. Maybe I should've tried doing some mining but at that point, I just didn't have the patience anymore. I started to grow more and more frustrated with the lack of variety and complete inability to leave the pilot's seat. So, after those first few hundred hours, it was time to shelve the game for the time being, at least until the rumored expansions would come out.

What came next was hugely disappointing and prompted me to write my first couple of Steam reviews that were filled with vitriol and resentment. Frontier rolled out the first big expansion to the game which, contrary to what was promised during the Kickstarter campaign, had a price tag on it, and not only that, it was the same price tag as the game that I already paid for a couple of years prior. It felt like a bit of a slap in the face and combined with the general unpleasantness of the elitist community that grew around this game, only amplified whatever negative feelings I had about it. Suddenly all the negatives - the shallow, AI-generated world-building, the repetitive missions, the merciless grind - took precedence in my eyes and I was no longer interested in playing this game at all.

It took a couple more years and some discount hunting before I got over myself, though, and I eventually tried the Horizons expansion. And yeah, it somewhat managed to rekindle that old passion for the game. Getting behind the wheel of the SRV and discovering new things on planet surfaces added an extra layer of mystique and injected some much-needed variety and fun into the experience. Combined with an expanded mission roster, major rebalancing of the economy, the addition of a few new toys to your spacefaring arsenal, and a bunch of quality-of-life improvements - I was back in. Hook, line, and sinker. The absolutely enthralling encounters with Thargoids were only the icing on the cake. The game still felt a bit shallow overall, and it didn't manage to make a significant enough leap to bring it closer to my original dream of a perfect space game, but it was definitely a step in the right direction.

And then the Odyssey expansion came along. The dream game was so close to being completed that I could almost smell it. Unfortunately, however, instead of being a slam dunk, it kinda just dropped like a soft wet turd, and the smell turned out to be that of yet another disappointment. The overwhelmingly negative reception that it got was a clear message that I should avoid it for the time being. But now, 2 years later, I finally decided to give it a shot and I'm pleased to say that it's basically everything that I expected. Now, with the ability to put my feet on the ground and explore this universe through the eyes of my character instead of through the canopy of my starship's cockpit, Elite: Dangerous finally feels like the game that I was dreaming about for the past 10 years.

Of course, it's still not perfect. The so-called sandbox still feels rather static, most likely due to the sheer size of the simulation and the inherent difficulty to make any dynamic changes that are happening in the galaxy to be readily apparent. There are also many features that are sorely missing from this game that could make it feel more lively and community-driven. Imagine if they'd give players the ability to set up their own outposts on uncharted worlds and even create their own economies and power dynamics. Basically the stuff that games like EVE Online are known for, except set in a game that's actually fun to play and doesn't have a psychotic learning curve. Unfortunately, all Odyssey offers in terms of livening this universe up, are a few extra locations that you can visit on foot, all of which are filled with the same generic NPCs that either sit around and do nothing or serve as mission dispensers with the same ChatGPT-generated lines of dialogue that are repeated ad nauseam. Sadly, this is not enough to make this universe feel like it's a living, breathing world.

So, that's the one last thing that I'm hoping will get expanded upon in the future in order to make this game 100% perfect in my eyes. To make this simulated world feel like a real place.

But at least as far as gameplay and audio-visual presentation goes, we got there. It's everything that I ever hoped for and I don't think you can find a better game in this vein on the market today.

Thank you for listening to my TEDx talk.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess it won but it didn't do much new, or all good, the on foot character stuff in particular in the last big expansion/update seem very half baked. So, more like it didn't falter as much as the other recent/never completed games but it's really not far enough beyond older games to call it a revival.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Yep, Elite Dangerous is the best of the bunch.

Star Citizen was cool when I played it but it was unfinished. That was 5 years ago and haven’t had a desire to go back.

No Man’s Sky is fun to check out for a couple hours when a new update drops. It just that it doesn’t take long for the monotony to set in. At its core it’s still a very dull experience.

I played some of the older X games…way too euro neckbeard for my tastes.

Really loved my time with Elite Dangerous. I put in 200 hours before falling off and I was ready to go back to the grind, but they shit the bed with the last expansion unfortunately. Last I heard they dropped console support to focus on PC. Wonder what’s left for the game. It’s pretty old now.

lefty1117

Gold Member
THey created this fantastic sandbox but no stories to go in it. The community goals and even the current thargoid war stuff is nothing more than a grind fest, upon completion FD then decides how the story will progress. Powerplay could have been something but as so often the case they create an intriguing game system and then do nothing to progress it. It's telling when the best mission in the entire game is the Odyssey tutorial. It's the one mission with voice over and several different gameplay bits woven together. The damn tutorial. I think the flight mechanics, sound, and Stellar Forge are the standouts in Elite Dangerous but besides that everything feels like a timid compromise. Odyssey was interesting for a little while, a nice change up, but it doesn't take long before you start to feel the repetitiveness and the sort of "what's the point" of it all.

I've almost bought this on sale several times, but ultimately the insane scale turns me away. I want to be a prominent character in a sweeping space opera, not just some space trucker or faceless bounty hunter.
Some of the videos I've seen remain pretty cool though. Skirting the event horizon of a black hole was badass. The first contact video was sweet as well.

Lasha

I give X4 the nod over Elite Dangerous purely based on scale and things to do. Elite is a universe wide and an inch deep. Exploration is really easy. Stuff like landing on high G worlds or neutron jumps are only challenging the first time. Anything worth exploring is hundred of mindless jumps out and back. There's only one human settlement outside of the core hubs and it's really more of the same just with fewer ships to buy and a smaller market.

X4 plays like a single player version of what star citizen wants to be. You can build a faction, carve up the universe, play industrialist, or wipe out enemy factions. All while being able to teleport into any of your assets. You can be a space trucker, mine from a rock hopper, or watch your fleet of capital ships engage a space station while commanding from the bridge. There's more of a game to play.

bbeach123

I wish someone mix the system design and the basic gameplay(ships +combat) of elite dangerous with x4 foundation world and gameplay.

First 50 hours of elite dangerous is beautiful ... And then you realised the progression system is literally fucked .

First 50 hours of X4 foundation is painful... But then when the game click , you realised the whole new world opening in front of you .

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
X4 isn't even the best X (and they all have their flaws). Fancy graphics aside most of these games don't even do as much as (not that) old indie Elite-like games like Evochron, never mind topping the true classics. Star Wars: Squadrons is probably the closest to the likes of Wing Commander or X-Wing and TIE Fighter but the topic is about sandbox games, not these story driven campaigns a la Freespace. I'll probably vote for Everspace 2 when it's out of early access in a couple months even if it's not quite like what I'd want either with all the RPG-like stuff (but Freelancer had such too).

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Devs of Elite Dangerous can go eat a dick for canceling current gen console versions of the game.
Yep. I loved Elite Dangerous, and I can understand that porting Odyssey to PS4 and Xbox One would have been futile. But abandoning us entirely even on new-gen? That’s some BS. Especially after they strung us along for months. Can’t say I’ll ever buy another FDEV game anytime soon.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I just want a modern Privateer successor. Elite is good, but a bit too wide so to speak.
That might have been the case for the first few years but now I think that they've added enough features into the game to make the gameplay really varied. There's like a whole heap of things that you can do in it right now and I hardly ever find myself getting distracted with other things due to too much downtime, like I used to do back in the day where all you could do was to jump between systems and pick up basic merchant and bounty contracts.

I think the real problem is that you barely make a difference in the grand scheme of things and it's extremely difficult to leave some kind of a footprint of your activities on the galaxy. It's much easier to have an influence on the events in games like X4 because the sandboxes in there are absolutely tiny in comparison with Elite's 1:1 scale galaxy, plus Elite barely offers any tools that would encourage players to actually band together and try to break the system.

StereoVsn

That might have been the case for the first few years but now I think that they've added enough features into the game to make the gameplay really varied. There's like a whole heap of things that you can do in it right now and I hardly ever find myself getting distracted with other things due to too much downtime, like I used to do back in the day where all you could do was to jump between systems and pick up basic merchant and bounty contracts.

I think the real problem is that you barely make a difference in the grand scheme of things and it's extremely difficult to leave some kind of a footprint of your activities on the galaxy. It's much easier to have an influence on the events in games like X4 because the sandboxes in there are absolutely tiny in comparison with Elite's 1:1 scale galaxy, plus Elite barely offers any tools that would encourage players to actually band together and try to break the system.
Yeah, I don't wish to play MP game, try hard to do things "to matter", etc... Not enough time or desire, lol.

I just want a competent SP space game ala Privateer or Freelancer, maybe with some Firefly vibes.

Wing Commander type game also wouldn't hurt. Freespace 2 was a long time ago :(.

somesang

DstppfI.png

I played about 30 hours before I got into VR. Actually haven't tried Odyssey and really have no interest anymore. Echoing what most people think, they didn't do anything interesting. The sandbox was fantastic but they left it at that. Would still be playing today if there was a stronger narrative carrying the core game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Another example of why this game rules.

Last time that I played it, I docked into a random player's carrier and left the game. I logged back in today and found that he essentially carried me a huge distance closer to the galactic core from where I was before. I was originally doing some mining in an area that was more dense in star systems and I didn't require long distance jump capabilities, so my Python is now too heavy to make the journey back to where I was because the distance between star systems is much too large for me to be able to make those jumps myself. I also have a cargo hold full of expensive minerals and no way of selling them anywhere so I will probably have to dump it all and lose billions of credits.

I mean, it's kind of a shitty situation for me now, but god damn, at the same time I find it so cool that a randomly stupid situation like this is even possible in this game. Amusing stories like that pretty much write themselves just by playing the game.

Top Bottom