• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I use the controller on the PC more often than the mouse/keyboard for gaming.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I use keyboard for fighting games(it's awesome), kb/mouse for fps/rpg/adventure/strategy games, controller for everything else. I play Fps games on Pc mostly so I use kb/mouse more often, but my wrist kills me after long plays.

It's funny that Civ games don't recognize controller, even though they also available on consoles. But you can get kinda similar experience thanks to ds4windows.

Verchod

Need for what?

There is.

images

images

hori1.jpg

Guess why stuff like these are not popular? Because they are not an advantage for games that people want mouse aiming.
The analogue movement is because I want to be able to adjust the speed I move. The items you've shown don't offer analogue movement I think.
I prefer to play games that involve stealth, so just walking or running with nothing in between isn't very useful.

Pejo

Gold Member
Welcome to the party, OP. Dualsense has been amazing on PC if it weren't for the fucking stick drift. I have 3 of them now and the first two are terrible.

RSAHhOCl.jpg

Zuzu

Yep same here; I mostly use controller. It's more comfortable for me and I want the rumble support. I like an analog stick for character movement and analog triggers. It also means I can have a smaller, more convenient keyboard on my desk most of the time which isn't great for gaming but is good for typing. For the games I play I don't really need the precision of a mouse or large amount of buttons on a keyboard.

Last edited:
I only use controller for games that have control schemes that are obviously designed for controllers and don't translate well to M/KB. Elden Ring is a good example.

Some games are obviously designed primarily for controllers but still play better on MK/B, so that's what I go with. That includes pretty much all shooters, but also games like Diablo. I know some people love how D3 and D4 play on consoles, but not being able to directly target spells and abilities is an absolute no-go for me.

for fps i use mouse and keyboard since its way better ,i only use a gamepad for driving games or fighters. mouse and keyboard is way better and less toyish, gamepads are like fisher price toys.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Keyboard + Mouse for first person games. No exception.
Controller (Xbox Series X) for everything else.

The people that play action games with action/platformer games on a keyboard/mouse are jsut as weird as people that play FPS games with controller to me. Both feel like handicaps to me.

poodaddy

Same here man, I've been primarily a controller guy on PC for well over ten years now, though there are some genres that are simply better with a mouse. I don't often play those genres though so.....

Leviathicus

Neo Member
i purposely built a pc so I could play all/most of my games with a controller and gyro/motion aim. Sony was too slow and had bad implementations. Xbox held back gaming once again.

I've played Resident Evil 4, Sunset Overdrive, Portal, Sleeping Dogs, Vanquish and Days Gone all with gyro/motion. Best way to aim with a controller. No aim assist needed.

That sounds great, what type of controller or software do you need to use gyro aim?

I'm literally like 99% controller player as i'm a couch gamer due to back problems, and i have my PC connected to my 60 inch tv.

The only time i actually sit at my desk is if i want to play one of the old games that doesnt have controller support.

This also sounds cool, at what resolution do you play on a 60 inch tv with a pc? I imagine thats what dlss is for, right?

Neff

I used mouse & keyboard for Deus Ex and a few other shooters back in the day when I got my first PC but ever since Steam has integrated Xbox controllers I've used nothing but.

Larxia

Totally depends on the game and the genre, I don't have any specific ratio.

Game is first person? Mouse and keyboard.
Does the game improve by having better camera movement / aiming? Mouse and Keyboard.

It really depends if the game benefits from fast camera movements, and if it requires aiming. If it's a game using auto lock system like Guardians of the galaxy or Red dead redemption 2, I will use a controller. I also use a controller for melee games that don't require any aiming, like Kingdom Hearts, Bayonetta etc...

There are a lot of games that really benefit from mouse and keyboard though, even some that you might not suspect at first.
Sunset Overdrive is a great example, I never thought I would like this game that much, because all the videos I can find of it looks really slow and boring, but playing it with mouse and keyboard totally transforms the game, because the whole traversal gameplay is based on the camera position, and the mouse movement let you move much more freely and faster. If we stay in a similar genre though, I play Tony Hawk games with a controller, because you barely move the camera yourself in this game, you don't need improved camera controls, it doesn't affect the gameplay.

I often feel like I have more freedom when I'm playing with mouse and keyboard, it feels like having shackles being removed, it's smoother and faster, I'm not limited by the static speed of a stick, but some games do feel better with a controller if you don't need that increased freedom of camera movement.

Kabelly

That sounds great, what type of controller or software do you need to use gyro aim?

This also sounds cool, at what resolution do you play on a 60 inch tv with a pc? I imagine thats what dlss is for, right?
just use my DS4 or my Switch Pro conntected via bluetooth. I buy most of my games on steam and they have amazing native gyro settings so there is usually already user configs for games.
If you're not using a steam game you can use joyshock mapper or rewasd so configure games.

That's the only drawback for some games you'll have to make a configuration.

EDMIX

I don't even remember when exactly I switched, but I use the mouse/keyboard combo less and less for gaming. How does it look for you?

OubPi3o.png

maybe lol

It depends on what genre you are into tbh. Like I wouldn't play Company Of Heros with a controller on PC or most FPS on PC

Kumomeme

lot of game nowdays not just playable with controller, but designed with that in mind. i rarely use keyboard for years.

Filben

m/k only for point and click adventures and games like Anno, Northgard. Also for first person shooters where you often interact with the environment like System Shock. Picking up things or interact with something by putting the reticle on said item is so much faster and more convenient with m/k.

In third person shooters, however, it's often enough to stand close to an interactive objects. Also animation transitions are smoother with a pad in third person games.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I switched with destiny. Played so much on PS4 I couldn’t get used to it on pc and that was it. Actively dislike keyboard and mouse now.

flying_sq

Mouse and keyboard are for FPS, Tycoon games, and RTS. Controller for everything else. It's what those games are designed around.

Sentenza

Sucks to be you.
I mean, i use controllers a lot for the type of games where I think it's the best fit (i.e. Souls-like, action adventures, sport games, emulation in general, etc) so I'm not exactly one of these "M&KB or die" type of users, but I will NEVER prefer a controller over mouse and keyboard on a bunch of other genres (management games, RTS, CRPGs, shooters).

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I barely use a controller any more. If a PC game doesn't have good mouse and kb controls and doesn't display a startup logo saying "plays best with mouse and keyboard" then it is bad by default.

Fuz

Banned
Translation : We didn't bother trying to provide good mouse and keyboard gameplay, but we try to make it sound cool by presenting it like this.
(I played Yakuza 0 with a controller, but I find these kind of messages ridiculous).
The Office Thank You GIF

Klosshufvud

I just really dislike using KBM because I can't get in that comfortable body position I can holding a gamepad. I have to have this tiresome office worker posture in order to use KBM efficiently. With gamepad, I kick back, raise my legs on the table and enjoy. I rarely these days bother playing KBM games on PC because of this. I don't mind a future where Deck-like trackpads replace mouse for gaming.

rofif

Banned
I wish dualsense had official support.
I like xbox series gamepad well enough (I have 20th anniv version) but I hate clicky dpad and clicky lb/rb buttons. And I never liked the thumbsticks shape after 360. The triggers are also this contactless, lifeless things. You cant feel pressing them.
For mouse+kb I use razer stuff. Huntsman mini linear and viper v2 pro. Stuff like Evil Within2, re4, pc shooters and so on, I like to play with mouse.

In general, I like to lean back with controller recently more so than hunch over mouse and keyboard.

Dynasty8

Just built a PC for the first time...a monster one too. I can't for the life of me get used to M+K for FPS games. It's the keyboard mobility that mainly screws me up...how do I get used to this? I feel like a total idiot who's never played a game before lol 😂

Last edited:

Phobos Base

I've never found a comfortable way to do MKB left handed. Fine for things like Age of Empires or older FPS games, but my issue comes when my right hand needs to press anything other than the arrow keys.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The items you've shown don't offer analogue movement I think.
They all offer, or did you miss the analog sticks on them?

Why would I use office supplies to game?
Because they handicap you less than dual stick controllers for some games.

Keyboard + Mouse for first person games. No exception.
Controller (Xbox Series X) for everything else.

The people that play action games with action/platformer games on a keyboard/mouse are jsut as weird as people that play FPS games with controller to me. Both feel like handicaps to me.
How are action games handicaps? We have faster camera controls, more buttons/better button layout nor requiring claw grips. Analg movement doesn't provide any advantage there.

Last edited:

Aenima

I never play games with mouse and Keyboard, unless certain point and click games or strategy games. Even Elder Scrolls Online that had no controller support, i played with controller by using a 3rd party program to map the keys to the buttons, and i played better with controller than keyboard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom