• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want a non-mature Elden Ring game...

Raven77

Elden-Ring-Shows-Breath-Of-The-Wild-2-Needs-More-Enemy-Variety.jpg

Been playing Elden Ring since day one and absolutely love it. However I've also been playing Breath of the Wild lately (finally). It's such a pleasant game.

I'm in love with the mechanics and world of Elden Ring but it's also very heavy and oppressive at times. Playing Zelda has made me yearn deep within my loins for a more light and less mature game using it's same incredible world building and gameplay.

Maybe this game exists already (some might say Zelda, but I would disagree, they're very different)? But I doubt it. My hope is the success of Elden Ring sees gameplay and world building improve in other games.

Anyone else feel the same or am I just a lonely weirdo all alone on this opinion?

PS I'm a huge fan of Mario 64, Fable, Banjo, and games like that so I tend to gravitate to less mature stuff.

Last edited:

Jennings

I can understand your desire. I'd like the same thing for Grand Theft Auto. I don't play it because of its themes, and while nowadays the comedic Saints Row comes closer, Simpsons Hit & Run came closest back in the day. But give me a GTA without the hookers and gangsta shit. I'd love to play a modern take on the genre starring Mr Bean or some shit.

As for a lighter, mechanically similar games to Elden Ring or other From games, I can't think of any good ones at all. There's an Ubisoft BotW clone in Fenyx Rising, but it's not anything like Elden Ring.

Knightime_X

And I want them to patch an easy mode into Elden Ring.
gwT2BUu.jpg

There is WeMod that works amazingly for Elden Ring at the cost of a softban which is basically you being invaded every time you want help which is counterproductive.
The softban is meaningless as you won't need co-op at any capacity.

Though, if you want to help others I would stear clear of this.
Otherwise, go nuts!

Fbh

Yeah I've actually always wondered what a modern From Software game with a more upbeat world would be like.

Even most of the "souls-like" games from other studios tend to mimic the dark and decadent world .

Something like Elden Ring with maybe a slightly smaller world but with towns (with NPC's walking around) and an aesthetic like, say, Wind Waker would be cool.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah I've actually always wondered what a modern From Software game with a more upbeat world would be like.

Even most of the "souls-like" games from other studios tend to mimic the dark and decadent world .

Something like Elden Ring with maybe a slightly smaller world but with towns (with NPC's walking around) and an aesthetic like, say, Wind Waker would be cool.
They can’t end up like Square-Enix by teasing us with a modern day fantasy and have it turn into some boring open world with a vehicle. I think it is too soon to say “burnout”. Dark Souls finished on a big win. I personally love Dark Souls III and it’s been out for sometime now. The “Souls” games ended with the third game. Elden Ring was a labor of love and also a collaboration with a well known fantasy author. With the success of Elden Ring, I bet their next big announcement will knock everyone’s socks off. Elden Ring’s announcement was too good to be true. I doubt this was it. I’d also keep trusting From Software‘s creative vision unless someone can prove me wrong.

Fredrik

Agreed!

I want a non-mature everything.

To be honest I hate that I can only play AAA games at the night when the family is sleeping.

I want more Ratchet & Clank, Forza Horizon 5, No Man’s Sky, Spider-Man Miles Morales.

Most AAA devs are seemingly obsessed about death and misery. They just can’t make a game without human deaths. And they seem to seek how far they can push it and how brutal and gory they can make the violence look without getting banned. And it’s always the end of the world. Or post end of the world.

What’s funny is that while they’re very clearly making games for adults they’re at the same time trying to take away all type of sex appeal… as if that is somehow worse for an adult to see than watching someone die.

Who are they actually making the games for?
Someone who scream and run away when they see a hot person but get happy and starts taking photos when they see someone die? Do this type of person even exist? 🤔

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Agreed!

To be honest I hate that I can only play AAA games at the night when the family is sleeping.

I want more Ratchet & Clank, Forza Horizon 5, No Man’s Sky, Spider-Man Miles Morales.

Most AAA devs are seemingly obsessed about death and misery. They just can’t make a game without human deaths. And they seem to seek how far they can push it and how brutal and gory they can make the violence look without getting banned. And it’s always the end of the world. Or post end of the world.

What’s funny is that while they’re very clearly making games for adults they’re at the same time trying to take away all type of sex appeal… as if that is somehow worse for an adult to see than watching someone die.

Someone who scream and run away when they see a hot person but get happy and starts taking photos when they see someone die? Do this type of person even exist? 🤔

Have you tried Nintendo?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the best option right now is BOTW. play that on Master Mode difficulty with Pro HUD. if you really want more challenge you can impose your own limits. Defeat a boss with a tree branch and without touching the ground ;)

Elden Ring is by far the easiest From Software game yet and it's only open world for the sake of it. The map is fun to explore the first 20-30 hours but this is a 100+ hour game. From Software should've stuck to the old semi-open/linear maps of previous games like Bloodborne/Souls.

I found BOTW more challenging that Elden Ring. I love Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro but ER was a huge disappointment for me. There was almost zero challenge. I only really struggled with a couple bosses in it. It's very dumbed down and you can become overpowered very easily.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I want the most oppressive Elden Ring like game Fromsoft can muster. Give me Bloodborne 2 or an IP like it, make it open world, turn the horror up to 11, and oppress tf out of me

Oppress me so hard Fromsoft

Not sure if your British but this is us when we vote for our next Tory or Labour leading, "give us what you got mother fucker, lets feel that oppression".

Fredrik

Have you tried Nintendo?
They make a game I like that don’t look like a low budget mobile game every 3-4 years. Once it happens it’s usually my GOTY. BOTW, Metroid Dread. It’s not enough. Back in the 80s I’d say that 90% of all AAA games were without brutal deaths and gore. Today that percentage has probably dropped to 10%.

drotahorror

Agreed!

Blah blah blah. Yada yada yada nigga, it's just talk

You cry about violence for the kids but you want sex in your games. Why not both?

Fredrik

Blah blah blah. Yada yada yada nigga, it's just talk

You cry about violence for the kids but you want sex in your games. Why not both?
Not sex, sex appeal. Attractive people with attractive bodies, same thing kids and adults see every day anyway. Means I can play in the living room with the kids around and don’t have to sneak away to the PC where I can close the door.

FingerBang

Zelda is a better designed game, btw.
Both are great though.

Only Dragon's Dogma 2 might top these two games.
Better designed doesn't mean much. They both well what they wanted to do.

Zelda gives you a few tools and then opens up an entire world to explore. It's only concerned that no matter where you go, you'll be able to do all that's available there.

Elden Ring is not like that. It does give you an open world, but you are expected to find more tools and better equipment to face some of the most challenging areas. You can't go to the final boss directly, there are actual quests to do.

Neither of these games is perfect, but they're both fantastic. I expect Elden Ring to be more impactful than BotW on future open world games though.

There is WeMod that works amazingly for Elden Ring at the cost of a softban which is basically you being invaded every time you want help which is counterproductive.
The softban is meaningless as you won't need co-op at any capacity.

Though, if you want to help others I would stear clear of this.
Otherwise, go nuts!
Claims to be superior race
Adds easy mode to games

Last edited:

Fredrik

You laugh but tell me when you actually play a game like TLOUp2 on your new console and big fancy OLED TV in the living room if you have kids.

Compare that to playing a game like Ratchet & Clank where it looks like a kids TV show and is even localized to your language so you don’t have to listen to ”What did they say?” everytime someone opens their mouth.

It’s a night and day difference. With one game you can play when you want to play and even have the whole family in the sofa if you want. With one game you play when everyone is sleeping or is outside so the house is empty.
And we’re still talking about big budget AAA games.

cireza

Banned
If you're fine with 2d, you should check out Crosscode. Combat and world/level design are top notch, and its a more light hearted story just like you want.

Tried this game because people were telling how great it was. I basically grinded in two or three regions for hours before I eventually reached an interesting boss (a big robot).

This felt like Secret of Mana, but having to grind and do fetch quests for 10 hours before reaching the first boss.

Could have been good if they had targeted a 10/20 hours game instead of 50.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You laugh but tell me when you actually play a game like TLOUp2 on your new console and big fancy OLED TV in the living room if you have kids.

Compare that to playing a game like Ratchet & Clank where it looks like a kids TV show and is even localized to your language so you don’t have to listen to ”What did they say?” everytime someone opens their mouth.

It’s a night and day difference. With one game you can play when you want to play and even have the whole family in the sofa if you want. With one game you play when everyone is sleeping or is outside so the house is empty.
And we’re still talking about big budget AAA games.

Fredrik, there are hundreds of games you can play with your kids. I don't see a problem. Also, some of the best games for kids are not AAA, so I don't understand that AAA obsession. It's not like kids care how many A's the game has.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Elden-Ring-Shows-Breath-Of-The-Wild-2-Needs-More-Enemy-Variety.jpg

Been playing Elden Ring since day one and absolutely love it. However I've also been playing Breath of the Wild lately (finally). It's such a pleasant game.

I'm in love with the mechanics and world of Elden Ring but it's also very heavy and oppressive at times. Playing Zelda has made me yearn deep within my loins for a more light and less mature game using it's same incredible world building and gameplay.

Maybe this game exists already (some might say Zelda, but I would disagree, they're very different)? But I doubt it. My hope is the success of Elden Ring sees gameplay and world building improve in other games.

Anyone else feel the same or am I just a lonely weirdo all alone on this opinion?

PS I'm a huge fan of Mario 64, Fable, Banjo, and games like that so I tend to gravitate to less mature stuff.
Honestly thought zelda was a much harder game then elden ring, died way times on zelda then elden, only downside about zelda imo is lack of enemys also the dlc was abit shit

The early hours of the game is the only difficult part. I hate when someone says he needs easy mode everyone jumps in with videos how to waste 10 hours searching for the most obscure items to be able to start playing the game.

Easy mode: start as samurai, (better weapon and has status effect). Use the wolves in every fight, play normally and clear the early areas. (Avoid big enemies)and after you get 13 lvls Get asap nakakiba, to dual wield it with uchigatana and do jump strikes. Most creatures will die easily. After you find a freeze skill infuse your uchigatana with freeze status and kills everything with one or two jump strikes.

Guilty_AI

Tried this game because people were telling how great it was. I basically grinded in two or three regions for hours before I eventually reached an interesting boss (a big robot).

This felt like Secret of Mana, but having to grind and do fetch quests for 10 hours before reaching the first boss.

Could have been good if they had targeted a 10/20 hours game instead of 50.
i don't remember doing any grinding tho. I do remember doing a lot of exploring however, game has a lot of secret areas, there are also like 30-40 bosses so i don't know how you've only managed to meet one.
Side-quests also have a lot of variety to them so i don't know why you're calling them fetch quests. Right on the first area for example there a quest involving parkouring where you have to walk around the railings of the port. Lots of quests with unique enemy encounters and side-bosses too. The few fetch quests i barely remember since i'd usually already have the materials, or i'd just play the game normally and would eventually get the materials.

Last edited:
Top Bottom