• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was asked my "preferred pronouns" today when making an appointment. First time this has happened in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yes denying trans people exist makes you a bigot. It is called transphobia.

By not calling them by their preferred pronouns you are basically telling them they are not who they are. I’m not trans but I understand where they are coming from and it’s also none of my business so I treat them with respect. Calling it lunacy is not being respectful.
We either X or Y chromosome and depends on how you look I will call you that. And no, I will not remember ridiculously made up words so someone will not be offended. Also it is not a switch that you tick what ever you feel like it. You can’t magically change your sex.

That's risky. I work in shipping. I've talked to several truckers that sound like the burliest men you'd meet. I would like "Thanks for your help sir." And they'd be like "I'm a fucking woman, asshole."
If I shave my beard without shaving my head along with it I look like a fat butch lesbian. I've had more than one cashier accidentally slip up before I say anything.

I just laugh about it, I'll be the first to admit I look the way I do. It's funny to me.

Gender and sex are completely separate things.

Sex is what you were born as biologically. Gender is what you identify as socially.

Science Bitch!

Well okay, let's apply some real science to this issue:

Gender is a cultural norm, not an objective scientific truth. While sex is a biological truth that exists across pretty much all cultures, such is not the case with gender.
As such, gender can be the object of sociological and/or psychological study, but it is far from a natural law. If somebody "identifies as something" that doesn't make it scientific truth. Expressions of personal identity are what most would call 'fashion'.

Furthermore sex and gender correlate by about 99,5%, which from a scientific point of view, would imply that they are pretty much the same thing. In essence, your biological makeup determines your gender.
As usual, the exception confirms the rule.

Last edited:

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Not singling you out as 2 or 3 other people have said something similar in this thread, but this is what people mean by 'normalize' this shit.
Basically implying that someone is a 'shithead' or arsehole, bigot, etc if they dont conform to this lunacy.
It will get to the point in the not too distant future where someone asks you this, you say you're not getting involved, and the person takes a step back with a suspicious look on their face asking 'Why?, right before they call the thought police.

This is honestly turning into some dystopian 'Logans Run' shit, and thankfully i'm going to do a Logan and escape to the woods or soemthing away from this clown world!.
Social\cultural norms change over time. If you are scared of it being "normalized" why don't you hop into a time machine and go to the 1800s.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

By not calling them by their preferred pronouns you are basically telling them they are not who they are. I’m not trans but I understand where they are coming from and it’s also none of my business so I treat them with respect. Calling it lunacy is not being respectful.
If you purposely call say a trans woman 'he' then I agree it's disrespectful. But if it's someone who asks you to call them xir, and you don't, it's not disrespectful at all. I'll argue it's disrespectful to ask people to call you complete gibberish fantasy language.

And I don't believe most people have issues calling trans women she or trans men he.

I think the issues come in where they want society to adopt this policy as a whole. There's no reason for a straight guy to use pronouns at all.

And I think the non-binary thing is where people take issue with it. Me personally, I don't believe it's real. Nor has it ever proven to an actual thing outside of people claiming they don't identify as either or identify as both.

Tom Segura and Christina P have one of my favorite videos on this topic

TheGrat1

Tell them to call you Sir.
4052ec31-b80e-41b8-b470-c851d13410d2_text.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member

I’ll take the woke troll bait since it’s a slow morning.

I have no issue calling people whatever the fuck they want to be called. Xir, they, whatever. I’ll humour them.

But I have an issue of being forced to declare my pronouns when it is immediately clear when people have a look at me that I am a guy.

That is lunacy, and the purpose of it is to indoctrinate the 97% of population to accept whatever idiotic demands the 3% have. And the people who play by the rules do so mostly not because they are so benevolent, but because they think virtue signalling is beneficial for business.

I won’t do it, I run my own business and don’t need ro pander to anyone by declaring immediately obvious things.

Last edited:
At work we had a presentation from an American who in his introduction dropped the whole “my pronouns are he/ him” and it was just super strange to hear in something that wasn’t the Internet. Anyway, it’s a huge whatever and if I was asked what I’d prefer I’d probably just answer the question…not a big deal, just move on.

nush

Gold Member
Very true, and I can relate since I have a baby in a stroller. Funnily enough our mayor is left-wing (also liberals don’t get shit done, which is why people don’t vote for them).

What got me started on that line of thinking was also when I had a baby in a stroller. I was in this shopping mall, 90's design lots of split level floors and the elevators only went to the main floors. I wanted to go to a restaurant but it was up two flights of steps. I saw the sign for wheelchair access and saw a retrofitted elevator to get up. But when I got there is was literally a small elevator that could just take someone sitting down in a wheelchair.

I guarantee that bespoke elevator cost more to install than a standard two people elevator that people in wheelchairs could also use, not to mention people that have walking disabilities that also would not be able to climb steps.

CGiRanger

Banned

I have no issue calling people whatever the fuck they want to be called. Xir, they, whatever. I’ll humour them.

But I have an issue of being forced to declare my pronouns when it is immediately clear when people have a look at me that I am a guy.

That is lunacy, and the purpose of it is to indoctrinate the 97% of population to accept whatever idiotic demands the 3% have. And the people who play by the rules do so mostly not because they are so benevolent, but because they think virtue signalling is beneficial for business.

I won’t do it, I run my own business and don’t need ro pander to anyone by declaring immediately obvious things.
This is what is concerning because this is what it will naturally lead to. You can see it in corporations that have gone full in with this absurd "DIE" garbage, with their HR departments and such staffed with them. Microsoft as noted had that laughable video presentation where they outright stated their pronouns (and you see that stupid image of their Games Division, where Phil Spencer and others clearly so needed them because you wouldn't have known otherwise).

Eventually, more and more people will be coerced to add their pronouns or state them outright. Those who do not comply will be noted and likely actioned against when it comes to yearly reviews or other issues.

daveonezero

Banned
Social\cultural norms change over time. If you are scared of it being "normalized" why don't you hop into a time machine and go to the 1800s.
Yeah maybe that doesn’t mean everyone has to conform. Especially if it is pushed as a operation from big corporations and government.

Hurting someone’s feelings should never be a crime.

Saber

Gold Member

I don't think people are scared. I think they find it incredibly stupid, which basically is. Demanding pronoums just to make you feel better only shows that you're not well. Be a better person instead of forcing people to use the right pronoum just because your feelings are hurt, it only shows how weak you are.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Yeah maybe that doesn’t mean everyone has to conform. Especially if it is pushed as a operation from big corporations and government.

Hurting someone’s feelings should never be a crime.
You're absolutely right hurting someone feelings shouldn't be a crime but you should prepared for any repercussions when you act like a mouth breather.

Last edited:

Barath

Banned

I can actually understand this. I see where you are coming from. But yeah if its obvious it doesnt need to be stated.

RAÏSanÏa

They have what’s known as a “mental disorder” and should have a psychological evaluation pronto.
It wasn't that long ago when this was fashionably said in parlours about gay people.
Can almost hear the china being set down authoritatively by Myrtle the lifelong housewife of a baker as the subject is declared closed with finality.

frontovik

Banned
I'm glad that the preferred pronoun nonsense was completely unheard of when I was in elementary & high school (Canada)

Imagine my shock and surprise when I came across it when I started working during my college years.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I'm glad that the preferred pronoun nonsense was completely unheard of when I was in elementary & high school (Canada)

Imagine my shock and surprise when I came across it when I started working during my college years.
My middle/high in Canada was during the late 80s during aids epidemic for me. Many of the hot takes sound the same as back then, only the players changed. Gender roles weren't as hot button an issue in grade school and were discussed informally in and outside classes without much problem. Although they were more of a he/she or she/he discussion. Don't recall anyone being expelled even for more extreme views. The concept of gender identity and pronouns was talked about by some even then. Ok, by me and those that had something to say that wanted to talk about it. For my part it was thinking about the Ship of Theseus, the human body, consciousness and self, aliens and ai. And other teenage stuff when it came up with a fave question like "if my sexual identity is due to dna and gendered identity is culturally learned, what is that identity floating on that calls itself me and what's it source?" introduced many interesting concepts from Cthulian to physics.

Now that pronouns are being recognized conceptual answers to these questions seem to be getting lost in the heated discussions for final victory on one side or another regarding protected status. Regardless, that's more a personal disappointment and it'll come around to that eventually. For now the protected recognition is satisfactory and only seems possible, or even necessary, in the most advanced societies.

Honestly, I would just say to the lady that I know its not her fault and that she has to ask those questions, but that its a silly one that I dont want to engage with it.

I_D

We either X or Y chromosome and depends on how you look I will call you that. And no, I will not remember ridiculously made up words so someone will not be offended. Also it is not a switch that you tick what ever you feel like it. You can’t magically change your sex.

A lot of people do this, so I'm not responding to you specifically. Your post just happens to be a good example of this issue.

Gender is not the same thing as sex. Conflating the two is a huge issue regarding trans rights.
They are not the same thing, despite what traditional language may imply.
To insist otherwise is merely an etymological fallacy. You might as well insist that "gay" means "happy." Or, hell, you might as well insist that "gay" means "homosexual."
When it - quite clearly - means different things among different groups. "Gay" means "happy" and "homosexual" and "bad," depending on who you ask.

In the context of the thread, "gender" means essentially "Predominantly-masculine or predominantly-feminine" within the mind of the person in question.

The pronoun a person chooses is merely an approximation.
The English language (all language, actually) itself is severely limited, and we only have X amount of words to describe ourselves. "Him" or "her" or "he" or "she" or "shim," or whatever else, is just an approximate lingual representation of our selves.
It's no wonder that these identifying terms don't quite fit every single example. There's no such thing as a 100% success rate in experiments; there will always be some exceptions. To assume that language would be any different is just naïve.

Even my own definition - "masculine" or "feminine" - is an approximation. Qualities of life that determine masculinity or femininity differ across cultures; which is the entire point of the term "gender."
"Gender" is a culture-defined term. What is "masculine" in one nation could be "feminine" in another culture.

A prime example of this would be clothing.
In the United States, today, seeing a man wearing multiple layers of fancy, lacy clothing, and a wig, and stockings, and leggings, and shiny shoes, and lots of jewelry would be considered "trans" or, at the very least, "drag."
Yet I just described the exact outfit that George Washington, and all of the other founding fathers, would have been wearing.
The point is that masculinity and femininity change over time. And considering that gender is based on these two terms, the sole concept of gender also changes over time.

Chromosomes have nothing to do with gender.
Sex has nothing to do with gender.
Looks have nothing to do with gender.

It's a fluid term. "Gender" changes from culture to culture. What is "trans" in the United States might just be "straight" in France. What is "straight" in the United States might be "beta-male" in India.
This is why it has nothing to do with sex or chromosomes. They're entirely unrelated concepts, despite what old-fashioned definitions (and certain right-wing media) might want you to think.

To insist otherwise simply means that you are not up-to-date with modern terminology. It's not your fault, though. This particular topic has evolved exceptionally quickly, and a whole lot of people have been left behind.

This kind of stuff, on the other hand, is just funny to see.

I have an issue being forced to declare my height when it is immediately clear that I am five-foot-five.
That is lunacy, and the purpose of it is to indoctrinate the 97% of five-foot-nine population to accept whatever idiotic demand the five-foot-fours have.

Imagine being so frail that you get upset when a person asks you what you like to be called.
You look like a guy, but you have a problem when somebody asks you if you want to be referred to as a guy?

...are you sure you're a guy?

Cause, I'm not gonna lie... if this kind of thing bothers you... you're not much of a man.

Barath

Banned
A lot of people do this, so I'm not responding to you specifically. Your post just happens to be a good example of this issue.

Gender is not the same thing as sex. Conflating the two is a huge issue regarding trans rights.
To insist otherwise is merely an etymological fallacy. You might as well insist that "gay" means "happy." Or, hell, you might as well insist that "gay" means "homosexual."
When it - quite clearly - means different things among different groups. "Gay" means "happy" and "homosexual" and "bad," depending on who you ask.

In the context of the thread, "gender" means essentially "Predominantly-masculine or predominantly-feminine" within the mind of the person in question.

The English language (all language, actually) itself is severely limited, and we only have X amount of words to describe ourselves. "Him" or "her" or "he" or "she" or "shim," or whatever else, is just an approximate lingual representation of our selves.
It's no wonder that these identifying terms don't quite fit every single example. There's no such thing as a 100% success rate in experiments; there will always be some exceptions. To assume that language would be any different is just naïve.

Even my own definition - "masculine" or "feminine" - is an approximation. Qualities of life that determine masculinity or femininity differ across cultures; which is the entire point of the term "gender."
"Gender" is a culture-defined term. What is "masculine" in one nation could be "feminine" in another culture.

In the United States, today, seeing a man wearing multiple layers of fancy, lacy clothing, and a wig, and stockings, and leggings, and shiny shoes, and lots of jewelry would be considered "trans" or, at the very least, "drag."
Yet I just described the exact outfit that George Washington, and all of the other founding fathers, would have been wearing.
The point is that masculinity and femininity change over time. And considering that gender is based on these two terms, the sole concept of gender also changes over time.

It's a fluid term. "Gender" changes from culture to culture. What is "trans" in the United States might just be "straight" in France. What is "straight" in the United States might be "beta-male" in India.
This is why it has nothing to do with sex or chromosomes. They're entirely unrelated concepts, despite what old-fashioned definitions (and certain right-wing media) might want you to think.

To insist otherwise simply means that you are not up-to-date with modern terminology. It's not your fault, though. This particular topic has evolved exceptionally quickly, and a whole lot of people have been left behind.

I have an issue being forced to declare my height when it is immediately clear that I am five-foot-five.
That is lunacy, and the purpose of it is to indoctrinate the 97% of five-foot-nine population to accept whatever idiotic demand the five-foot-fours have.

Imagine being so frail that you get upset when a person asks you what you like to be called.
You look like a guy, but you have a problem when somebody asks you if you want to be referred to as a guy?

Cause, I'm not gonna lie... if this kind of thing bothers you... you're not much of a man.
Holy shit. That’s the best post on the subject I’ve ever read. Well done!

RAÏSanÏa

I always tell them I identify as a Apache attack helicopter.
The first time I heard this meme I thought it meant they wanted to upload their consciousness into a weapon, maybe inspired by Voyager. "try to stop me and I'll DETONATE!"
If they wanted to transition I suppose there could be an attempt. The regulatory hurdles alone would be troublesome, but not impossible and probably not the most difficult part with the right paperwork and backing.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It wasn't that long ago when this was fashionably said in parlours about gay people.
Can almost hear the china being set down authoritatively by Myrtle the lifelong housewife of a baker as the subject is declared closed with finality.
You know it’s not the same thing though right?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Self awareness being employed equally, it was the overlaps regarding the fight against recognition with the struggle against the same talking points.
It’s not even close to being similar.
You’re talking decision vs indecision, and the indecision is brought on by their mental state of mind, hence a mental disorder.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Sex has a direct correlation to gender. That being that is has been shown time and again that boys will typically lean towards male traits and interests while girls will lean towards typically female traits and interest.

Toys are an excellent example of how modern gender ideology misrepresents and twists this in an attempt to reinforce the idea that people are male/female based upon societal manipulation rather than natural preference and traits. Toys and the boys and girls isles are not a product of social engineering, but rather a natural capitalist outcome. The toys found in a boys isle are those which have been found to sell best to male children, while those found in the girls isle are those that have been found to sell best to female children. Their sex relates directly to their gender which capitalism inadventently demonstrates via it's natural outcomes.

The rest of your remarks fall into the same trap of trying to equate personality traits to gender. A girl can be masculine, a boy can be feminine. A girl can like sports and a boy can like fashion and makeup. A girl can be aggressive and like fighting and a boy can be timid and conflict adverse. These preferences and personality traits may be trypically associated with male and female gender because again there is a natural and time proven correlation that makes them more typical of each gender, but they do not define the gender, they merely represent the personality and preferences of the individual. The failing in the gender identity argument is that it attempts to equate personality traits to gender which in turn leads to a whole mess of confusion and a billion different interpretations (and thus "genders") as people attempt to put a label on personality which is in itself largely unique and multi-faceted.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

It’s not even close to being similar.
You’re talking decision vs indecision, and the indecision is brought on by their mental state of mind, hence a mental disorder.
indecision?
The question appears to be being asked in this case to get a decided response. It is a doctor's office in question, so there may be circumstantial matters as with anything medical. Undoubtedly there are cases of mental disorder, doesn't mean all cases are or that gender identification is the issue even if mimicking was a presenting symptom of something underlying. Not going to have medical clogged up because keeping records and recognizing all nonconforming gender identifying individuals makes some unconfortable enough to say they should all be psyched.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Indecision to gender.
Seems phrased as though the questioner and person being asked is decisive according to the OP.
"Are your preferred pronouns he, she, or they?"
Certainly it would elicit indecision from the indecisive among odd responses from others.

My sitcom response would be "Is this a test?"
Except my character isn't a mass of snakes under a drape.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gender as a very concept is just a bad attempt to get past the schoolyard joke of

"Sex?"

"Yes, often!" response.

If sex=fornication and sex=genitalia wasn't an unfortunate overuse of the word, none of this nonsense would even exist.

OZ9000

Banned
Jesus fucking christ.

This world is so fucked.

Here is the full 'debate'

I will describe those two creatures as 'it' - they don't deserve any special pandering or any pronouns.

'I think it's really important to create a safe space' - what the fuck are you on about? Are you threatened by the terms he or she?

People with bored lives creating problems that to not exist.

Matt Walsh did a fantastic job here. Bravo.

You can choose to identify as anything you want to. Just don't expect me to partake in your charade.

If I identify as a 'Doctor' or 'Professor', is it reasonable to expect everyone to refer me as one? Fuck no!

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jesus fucking christ.

This world is so fucked.

Here is the full 'debate'

I will describe those two creatures as 'it' - they don't deserve any special pandering or any pronouns.

'I think it's really important to create a safe space' - what the fuck are you on about? Are you threatened by the terms he or she?

People with bored lives creating problems that to not exist.

Matt Walsh did a fantastic job here. Bravo.

You can choose to identify as anything you want to. Just don't expect me to partake in your charade.

If I identify as a 'Doctor' or 'Professor', is it reasonable to expect everyone to refer me as one? Fuck no!

Only Anglo-centric places, rest of the World is laughing at them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

This is a lot of word vomit to essentially state that you are the one triggered that other people are tired of the bullshit.

Seen it at urgent care about 2 years ago, and thought it was nuts. Even if you are "trans" its a doctor, they need to do certain things based on what your anatomy is , not your feelings. So put male if you have a package and female if you don't for the .0001% of castrated or people with both, they can explain to the doctor later,or just have spot for "other". Leave it male/female or other and problem solved.

Bombolone

Gold Member
- Young people are insecure and discovering who they are. (as they should be)

- Social Media exists and allows these young people to find and echo eachothers ideas and experiences.
There are millions of people on this planet. Finding a couple hundred (small percentage) to reinforce your viewpoint isn't difficult

- Big Money sees this and supports the narrative because... there is power and money to be gained.

We are all young once. We are idealists and dreamers, but at some point we need to take those ideals and dreams and place them up against reality.
What has happened is Big Money has taken that process hostage. Fanning flames and create a false sense of righteousness.

Your parents have failed you and now, more than ever, you live in a world full of predators.

We don't let teenagers run the world for a reason.
"When i grow up I want world peace!"

Alright, its 2022 and Russia is looking to go in raw on Ukraine.
Quick, someone send over some xims/xers to hash out a peace treaty with Putin and the boys.
Also, where is all the corporate outrage over Russia?
Nike? Sephora? Gillette? An actual military war is no good for consumer business. Cost/Benefit ratio is to high i guess.
Come on, no blue & yellow squares for my Ukranian folk? Hmmmm

Military conflict on one hand, your hurt feelings on the other.
Climate change, hoarding of wealth, food security, automation, slave labour/abuse of children around the world.
And again where is the corporate outrage, nay ACTION, to these issues; issues that any rational/honest person would prioritize over incorrectly addressing a stranger.
But its about people(strangers) dancing to your tune to make you feel better.
Fuckin Narcissists.

* how did that reeee fleece turn out lol
You live in a world full of predators, dont get that confused with a just position.

OZ9000

Banned
Seen it at urgent care about 2 years ago, and thought it was nuts. Even if you are "trans" its a doctor, they need to do certain things based on what your anatomy is , not your feelings. So put male if you have a package and female if you don't for the .0001% of castrated or people with both, they can explain to the doctor later,or just have spot for "other". Leave it male/female or other and problem solved.
It becomes doubly confusing if someone is a he she or she he and they present with abdominal pain and then you wonder 'could this be a pregnant woman/ectopic pregnancy' but because of 'pronounz' you have no idea.

- Young people are insecure and discovering who they are. (as they should be)

- Social Media exists and allows these young people to find and echo eachothers ideas and experiences.
There are millions of people on this planet. Finding a couple hundred (small percentage) to reinforce your viewpoint isn't difficult

- Big Money sees this and supports the narrative because... there is power and money to be gained.

We are all young once. We are idealists and dreamers, but at some point we need to take those ideals and dreams and place them up against reality.
What has happened is Big Money has taken that process hostage. Fanning flames and create a false sense of righteousness.

Your parents have failed you and now, more than ever, you live in a world full of predators.

We don't let teenagers run the world for a reason.
"When i grow up I want world peace!"

Alright, its 2022 and Russia is looking to go in raw on Ukraine.
Quick, someone send over some xims/xers to hash out a peace treaty with Putin and the boys.
Also, where is all the corporate outrage over Russia?
Nike? Sephora? Gillette? An actual military war is no good for consumer business. Cost/Benefit ratio is to high i guess.
Come on, no blue & yellow squares for my Ukranian folk? Hmmmm

Military conflict on one hand, your hurt feelings on the other.
Climate change, hoarding of wealth, food security, automation, slave labour/abuse of children around the world.
And again where is the corporate outrage, nay ACTION, to these issues; issues that any rational/honest person would prioritize over incorrectly addressing a stranger.
But its about people(strangers) dancing to your tune to make you feel better.
Fuckin Narcissists.

* how did that reeee fleece turn out lol
You live in a world full of predators, dont get that confused with a just position.
This x100.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom