• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I worry for Sony's commitment to PSVR2.

Sony's pricing strategy killed Vita. It will be the same with PSVR2.

They will get the Hardcore/early adopters in the first 6-12 months but after that they need to drop the price or it WILL die an early death.
People seem willing to play more for this hobby than ever before, but yeah $550 seems a bit steep for most people. I'm not entirely sure deep price cuts are ever gonna be a thing like previous generations. PSVR2's potential for growth has me optimistic early on though.

The bigger picture is hype, game quality and eventual popularity. All it would really take is a couple of content-heavy excellent games to go viral and it could become the next big thing in console gaming.

It all depends on the developers, imo.

gothmog

Gold Member
Sony's pricing strategy killed Vita. It will be the same with PSVR2.

They will get the Hardcore/early adopters in the first 6-12 months but after that they need to drop the price or it WILL die an early death.
I see an alternative where games like RE8 and GT7 not only exceed expectations but are also shown to be relatively easy to support. This leads to people starting to look at VR as more of a display technology rather than a new way to game. At that point 500+ for a display seems reasonable.

Crayon

Good point, but I doubt it'll hit 3M in year one. After the first year it's out PS5 user base might reach around 40M? I think it's at 30M now. 3M on 40M PS5s is a conversion rate of 7.5%. So 1 out of every 13 people will buy PSVR2?

PSVR1 sold about 1M units per year.

Yeah that sounds about right, to me. About 1 out of 20 got PSVR1. It came out of the gate well but was pretty soon missing vr games because of the limitations. This will not go out of date so fast. quest 2 and index did not because their capabilities were up to a certain standard. Psvr2 is jumping way out ahead of what we have now among the affordable choices. It will be a good choice for several years and in that first year it will be the hot shit. A 50% higher attach looks like a reasonable goal to me. It's a better product in a bigger market with more games and an owner who's already successfully done this once and appears to be doubling down.

Last edited:

Three

Good point, but I doubt it'll hit 3M in year one. After the first year it's out PS5 user base might reach around 40M? I think it's at 30M now. 3M on 40M PS5s is a conversion rate of 7.5%. So 1 out of every 13 people will buy PSVR2?

PSVR1 sold about 1M units per year.

[/URL][/URL]
https://www.roadtovr.com/report-psvr-2-million-march-2023/

This report said they already plan to produce 2M by March. I don't think they expect those to be sitting on the shelf for 2 years if the projection was 1M every year.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony is more committed to VR than anyone else, save Meta. Obviously they were okay enough with the PSVR to forge ahead. Now this device is really expensive (spare me your muh inflashun talk) and it's paired with an expensive console but if you're going to invest in a VR platform right now, it's basically Meta, Valve, or Sony. I think all 3 are good choices but none of them are a sure thing. It is like the early 80s console market.

Justin9mm

It'll die out just like PSVR1 did. They'll bring out a few decent "experiences" and ports but it'll dwindle just like the first one did. Its a really hard sell at the price it is just now.
The PSVR2 tech is in the top of industry leading VR tech, it's very different this time round. It will depend on the library of games supported though. But if Sony give it a decent price drop in the future, I think it will exceed expectations and be more successful than the PSVR1. The PS5 adoption rate is huge and VR has become more mainstream since the PSVR1. I personally think the current launch price is too high but I think its going to be an amazing headset and I will pick one up when discounted and there is also a good library of games also on discount.

Three

First I'm hearing of there potentially being a PSVR version to TLOU Part 1 AND GTAV? OP where did you hear that from?
He's saying that was "his belief" as to why a PS5 version existed. So he didn't hear it anywhere. He just thought that's why GTA5 PS5 and TLOU pt 1 were happening, because of PSVR2. Strange belief to be frank much like the premise of the thread.

saintjules

He's saying that was "his belief" as to why a PS5 version existed. So he didn't hear it anywhere. He just thought that's why GTA5 PS5 and TLOU pt 1 were happening, because of PSVR2. Strange belief to be frank much like the premise of the thread.

I figured as much. I was a bit sarcastic in my question. It's strange to assume such things.

Gambit2483

I see an alternative where games like RE8 and GT7 not only exceed expectations but are also shown to be relatively easy to support. This leads to people starting to look at VR as more of a display technology rather than a new way to game. At that point 500+ for a display seems reasonable.
At the end of the day it's an accessory. A peripheral. And a peripheral that costs just as much or more than the main device (particular @ $500+) is NOT a mass market product.

I can't see this being successful @ $500 a year or more after launch

Ar¢tos

I worry for how much I'll vomit using it, not for Sony commitment it...

It should come with a virtual course with daily steps to teach the player to get used to it and a booklet of recommendations to ease motion sickness.

ParaSeoul

I'm fine with it just being the first one but better,it doesn't need to take away resources from the main platform like a certain other accessory did.

yurinka

People seem willing to play more for this hobby than ever before, but yeah $550 seems a bit steep for most people. I'm not entirely sure deep price cuts are ever gonna be a thing like previous generations. PSVR2's potential for growth has me optimistic early on though.

The bigger picture is hype, game quality and eventual popularity. All it would really take is a couple of content-heavy excellent games to go viral and it could become the next big thing in console gaming.

Regarding devs support, seems PSVR2 will have a record lineup for launch, first month and first year or two.

Pricing in PC hardware and PC VR headsets doesn't seem to be an issue. And is cheaper than PSVR1 was back in the time. In any case, high end VR is still a young tech so it's expensive, for early adopters. We're still a couple of generations or so before VR would go mainstream. They are still experimenting, iterating and learning how to properly use it, finding proper game types, mechanics and controls for it plus trying to solve initial issues.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It launches next month right? I think it will have a decent first month then it's gonna pretty much be dead in the water imo.

It will get limped support for a few years just like psvr 1.

But! Me personally, as soon as astro bot gets unveiled.....I'm there day 1 of astro launch so all is good for me, personally.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sony already tried that and failed. If people look at VR as only a "display" then it's dead already.

Crayon

At the end of the day it's an accessory. A peripheral. And a peripheral that costs just as much or more than the main device (particular @ $500+) is NOT a mass market product.

How much do you think it has to sell to be successful?

The problem with PSVR2 is, that imho Sony learned nothing from PSVR1, what was lacking there is lacking with VR2 now too.
It's again okayish, but that was only enough for the novelty for me. Now I'd need something that hits the ground running.
Of course the coming games will be on another level, but again too few (at least a 3D mode could have been a bare minimum requirement for all titles, even already released ones), upscaled ports not systemwide and devs have to do the work instead of having a conversion layer translating all positional infos and even replacing button prompts on a renderlayer (AI can ccreate art but we can't draw a new controller over a move picture?), no PC-support, again BS sideloading (?), bigger price, special controllers not usable for regular games(?).
They are "commited" like they pushed the Cell. Maybe good intentions but not really getting it and maybe the devs can rescue the plan and plattform with good games, often it needs just one surprise hit to jump start it all and maybe we get than proper commitment.

Ar¢tos

The problem with PSVR2 is, that imho Sony learned nothing from PSVR1, what was lacking there is lacking with VR2 now too.
It's again okayish, but that was only enough for the novelty for me. Now I'd need something that hits the ground running.
Of course the coming games will be on another level, but again too few (at least a 3D mode could have been a bare minimum requirement for all titles, even already released ones), upscaled ports not systemwide and devs have to do the work instead of having a conversion layer translating all positional infos and even replacing button prompts on a renderlayer (AI can ccreate art but we can't draw a new controller over a move picture?), no PC-support, again BS sideloading (?), bigger price, special controllers not usable for regular games(?).
They are "commited" like they pushed the Cell. Maybe good intentions but not really getting it and maybe the devs can rescue the plan and plattform with good games, often it needs just one surprise hit to jump start it all and maybe we get than proper commitment.
Bigger price?!?
Do you even math?

Psvr1+camera+move controllers>psvr2 kit in price

Bigger price?!?
Do you even math?

Psvr1+camera+move controllers>psvr2 kit in price
It’s still too expensive to take off in the mainstream which means it’s dead on arrival.

Its basically the same price as another PS5 and the games are also expensive at $60.

Holding off on buying until we see if Sony will even support it after a year isn’t a bad idea.

midnightAI

Wait, what?

Almost every issue with PSVR 1 is fixed, now you may have different issues, but the main issues with PSVR 1 were:
Tracking using move controllers + external camera.... it is now inside out tracking which is pretty much now the industry standard and has all dualsense controls (except for the touchpad) on them including the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback (which is also in the headset itself)
Lack of software... this wasn't just lacking first party it was lacking any software, because VR was still mostly in its infancy, now we have loads of third party support, its launching with 30+ games, and we also have GT7 (full this time) and Horizon at launch with more to come, these two wont be the only games PlayStation Studios makes for VR you know, just because they aren't announced doesn't mean they aren't coming

Now onto your issues....
Software I have already mentioned above
Bigger price? it's roughly the same (PSVR + 2 move controllers + camera = $500 in 2016/2017). This is high end VR we are talking about here, comparable PC VR is much more expensive currently, especially any with eye tracking.
Back compat.... different tracking, different UI, different buttons on the controllers, no tacking on dualsense, you make it sound easy.. oh, just do X to make it work, like all games are programmed the same. Read comments from PSVR 1 devs about this, many I have read are actually motivated to do something, to improve their games as PSVR2 is such an advancement over the PSVR1 (Moss, Pistol Whip, Tetris Effect/Rez Infinite devs). Also, this wasn't an issue with PSVR1 of course.
Special controllers not useable for regular games? I shouldnt even need to dignify this with a response, nitpick at best, thats what the dualsense is for, you know, the controller that most use for flat screen gaming, I can't see many peopele using VR controllers on PC for regular gaming either so is it an issue there also?.
PC support isnt an issue for the majority of people, you know, those using a PlayStation peripheral on PlayStation hardware (is this the equivalent of port begging but for hardware?)

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I mean, I don't know how you're going to bookmark my post and say "told you so!".

Half Life Alyx is great and I'd love to have it on PSVR2, but it's not some VR title that stands so far out from the rest. There are many people that think RE7 is the best VR game on the market, or AstroBot, or Song in the Smoke, or Saints and Sinners...

Personal taste and all that. But certainly Sony has a Half Life Alyx like production with Horizon: CoTM - where you prefer it or not it has stunning visuals and tons of interactivity and will set a VR benchmark in certain areas. Similarly, GT7 is an entire game in VR of a marquee series. That's massive. And RE8 (which will be massively better than the PC mod per Ian Higton) is better looking in VR than the flat screen.

No, no, no! You're getting it all wrong! Nothing can touch Saint Gabe's creation! It was crafted by his own very hands!

Sethbacca

Drop some money and get some bloody games on day one to justify your high-end device. Bonelabs on PSVR2 would be fucking magical. Green Hell VR multiplayer would be incredible. Instead, we get a port of Pistol Whip... which is also on Quest 2 standalone and PSVR. And Beat Sabre... which is also on Quest 2 standalone and PSVR. PSVR2 should've been a home run given the tech at play, but right now, it's a "wait and see".

The lack of Beat Sabre at launch is what caused me to cancel my preorder for now. I'll definitely be picking it up once that launches though.

Romulus

I'm not ready to jump on board this gen, but I hope to see VR reach for the stars one day with high end aaa experiences. I appreciate all you early adopters and supporters who will pave the way to eventual greatness.

I kinda felt like that in 2014 or so, but now there's some many options to play games now I even have a backlog. Much of that is flat to vr mods feel like native experiences now and they keep coming. A huge portion of AAA games have been VR thus far.
I also enjoy that phase when AAA developers first get their hands on a new type of technology like VR. There's a certain excitement that translates into the development experiences. I don't see that lasting more than a few years.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Isn't the idea that PSVR2 will be treated as an accessory rather than platform? I think I heard that Sony made it easy for developers to enable their regular PS5 games to work with PSVR2?
What they actually said is that it would be easier to port previous VR titles to VR2.

Sony comes off as pretty committed to me, but it will be a niche product so it should be expected you won’t be getting huge amounts of support even from Sony.

Didn’t PSVR sell like 5M to a base of 114M(?) PS4 users, that’s only about 4%. Makes little sense to bring out the big guns only to sell that stuff to 4% of players.
If Sony doesn't bring the big guns (especially the 2nd time around), chances are people won't buy it and Sony will see that as "VR doesn't work. Let's bail".

I really hope they have lots more of unnanounced stuff that will blow our socks off, because I want not only for PSVR2 to succeed, but VR as a whole.

Lol, OP has just come in, created this thread, and then bailed, not even posting a single reply.

winning game over GIF by PlayStation
I only read GAF at work whenever I get the chance. The time I have after work I'd rather spend playing on my Quest 2/PC, but I do read every post and try to reply to the most interesting ones. And I did respond twice before reading this post. :p
(Currently reading page 2 and there are now 6 as of writing this, it'll take a while, but it's an entertaining read)

midnightAI

What they actually said is that it would be easier to port previous VR titles to VR2.
Thats not entirely true ... https://www.gamesradar.com/psvr-2-is-specifically-designed-to-be-more-port-friendly/

As reported by IGN PlayStation has specifically designed the PSVR 2 headset to make porting games easier for developers. That's not just existing virtual reality games either; it's apparently going to be easier for developers to turn their existing games into VR versions.

The news originates from Sony Interactive Entertainment's Yasuo Takahashi and Kenjo Akiyama, speaking recently during a CEDEC 2022 event. In short, PSVR 2 development uses the same SDK as PS5 games, so in theory, this linkage should make it easier for developers to bring over their PS5 games to the VR device.

Additionally, the PSVR 2 production environment supports games made with both the Unity and Unreal game engines. Again, in theory, this is being floated with the potential of creating games using either engine easier to bring to the new-gen headset when it launches.

Three

If Sony doesn't bring the big guns (especially the 2nd time around), chances are people won't buy it and Sony will see that as "VR doesn't work. Let's bail".

I really hope they have lots more of unnanounced stuff that will blow our socks off, because I want not only for PSVR2 to succeed, but VR as a whole.
They brought the big guns already with GT7, RE8 and Horizon:CotM. Switchback VR got delayed by a couple of weeks but that's a decent launch lineup which is not even including the smaller games. We know Firewall Ultra is also in the works as is a new Astrobot. Maybe it's greater investment into experimental third parties you're looking for because for me these games are a decent launch and I'm sure more things will get announced down the line.

Seeing as this is the second one with a better launch lineup than the first and higher projected sales I'd say that's not a 'let's bail' strategy. It will all depend on the years ahead but counting it out with the good lineup it has before it's even released doesn't help if you want to see it and VR succeed.

saintjules

I too have decided to take the risk to get one (+ charging station). It will be my first time entering the VR space and wanted to try it out. It's all funny because I am starting to hoard games and either never start them or semi-retire the ones I play. I guess there's a lot of other priorities. It seems I like to collect things.

If the PSVR2 becomes a flop, then it's a loss that I'll recoup in a few months and learn to wait a while to see how new hardware develops during the course of the lifecycle.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
I'm still debating if I'm gonna go ahead and preorder but I'm pretty tempted. I've never had a VR set before and it's always intrigued me. I think the launch lineup is pretty solid. My list would be:
1. Horizon Call of the Mountain
2. GT7 (already own)
3. RE Village (would buy cheap off FB marketplace, free vr update)
4. Kayak VR Mirage-Been watching some YouTube vids on this game, looks very chill.
5. Pavlov VR-Always wanted to play a fps in VR.
6. NFL Pro Era
7. Rez, tetris and thumper I already own so hoping for an upgrade path either free or small fee. I think Rez has been confirmed for small fee to upgrade to the VR version.
8. Switchback VR in March

I just wish there was more info on what other games will be releasing later this year and in the future after launch.

Also has Sony said how long the battery life will be on the sense vr controllers? I couldn't find that info anywhere.

Gambit2483

How much do you think it has to sell to be successful?
I was waiting for this question. Good question.

PSVR2 needs to be worth it for the developers that create software for PSVR2, for it to be successful. If a developer can make a VR exclusive game or VR exclusive mode and deem it's sales as profitable (for the majority of developers) then it's a successful product

Last edited:
I'm still debating if I'm gonna go ahead and preorder but I'm pretty tempted. I've never had a VR set before and it's always intrigued me. I think the launch lineup is pretty solid. My list would be:
1. Horizon Call of the Mountain
2. GT7 (already own)
3. RE Village (would buy cheap off FB marketplace, free vr update)
4. Kayak VR Mirage-Been watching some YouTube vids on this game, looks very chill.
5. Pavlov VR-Always wanted to play a fps in VR.
6. NFL Pro Era
7. Rez, tetris and thumper I already own so hoping for an upgrade path either free or small fee. I think Rez has been confirmed for small fee to upgrade to the VR version.
8. Switchback VR in March

I just wish there was more info on what other games will be releasing later this year and in the future after launch.

Also has Sony said how long the battery life will be on the sense vr controllers? I couldn't find that info anywhere.

My thought is

1. It’s not getting a price drop anytime soon
2. It will get tons of support even if Sony first party support is light

For someone jumping into VR for the first time and has the money, pre ordering it is a no brainer. PSVR2 will be best in class as a VR platform

Last edited:

Crayon

I was waiting for this question. Good question.

PSVR2 needs to be worth it for the developers that create software for PSVR2, for it to be successful. If a developer can make a VR exclusive game or VR exclusive mode and deem it's sales as profitable (for the majority of developers) then it's a successful product

Then the other side of that coin would be the software attach rate. Being a smaller, more hardcore market ($$$$!!), it's obviously going to be higher than the main console, but by how much we don't know. Unless there's been any public information on that. Like I feel like I want to say double but that's a complete shot in the dark. No idea, here.

I was watching East New York last night, it's a new cop show on CBS made from the creators of NYPD Blue and Law & Order, and if you like cop shows it's pretty good. But one thing pissed me off while watching: an episode where a kid went missing had the cops scrambling to find a child, had a scene where it was discovered that this guy was talking to the kid previously and showing interest in him.

The determining factor in the cops pursuing him was when it was discovered that he, an adult, had video game toys and VR in his residence. The cops concluded that those things were "for ten your old children" and they proceeded to bust in his place, and wouldn't you know it? There they found he was hiding and kidnapped the child.

It just shows that there is still a large disconnect between certain lifestyles and hobbies. It just made me mad that they chose to use that line of dialog with stereotypes for easy and mindless story plot.

Soosa

Banned

People are paying hundreds for controllers, "gaming chairs/desks", gaming pc parts are easily +500€ each and so on.

+500 for add-on sounds high, but it is not really that much anymore.

To super casuals it may be too much, but there are also millions of willing to pay hundreds for some stuff that adds less value than psvr2 will

Crayon

I was watching East New York last night, it's a new cop show on CBS made from the creators of NYPD Blue and Law & Order, and if you like cop shows it's pretty good. But one thing pissed me off while watching: an episode where a kid went missing had the cops scrambling to find a child, had a scene where it was discovered that this guy was talking to the kid previously and showing interest in him.

The determining factor in the cops pursuing him was when it was discovered that he, an adult, had video game toys and VR in his residence. The cops concluded that those things were "for ten your old children" and they proceeded to bust in his place, and wouldn't you know it? There they found he was hiding and kidnapped the child.

It just shows that there is still a large disconnect between certain lifestyles and hobbies. It just made me mad that they chose to use that line of dialog with stereotypes for easy and mindless story plot.

Wow that is some real "what year is it". I agree, super lame.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You guys do realize this is a niche accessory and not a full blown console release, correct? These comments really seem like they are arguing full scale new consoles one way or the other. Success with psvr2 isn’t going to be measured by tens of millions of sales. It’s an extra, and if you have any kind of business sense whatsoever, you would realize that.

ZehDon

Gold Member
No that was Astro bot
In terms of proving that VR truly has something to offer? It was Half-Life: Alyx
M7pE9e.gif

For example, in the game, you can store up to two grenades for later use. But because it's VR, you can get inventive. So, grab a random bucket, place all the extra grenades you find in said bucket, and take your Bucket of Death with you to have as many grenades as you want. This isn't a mechanic in the game - it's just using VR to do things you can't do anywhere else. And there isn't a game out there that comes close to what Half-Life: Alyx offers. It really should've been a PSVR2 launch title - it's the best VR game out there, and it would be terrific on PSVR2.

In terms of proving that VR truly has something to offer? It was Half-Life: Alyx
M7pE9e.gif

For example, in the game, you can store up to two grenades for later use. But because it's VR, you can get inventive. So, grab a random bucket, place all the extra grenades you find in said bucket, and take your Bucket of Death with you to have as many grenades as you want. This isn't a mechanic in the game - it's just using VR to do things you can't do anywhere else. And there isn't a game out there that comes close to what Half-Life: Alyx offers. It really should've been a PSVR2 launch title - it's the best VR game out there, and it would be terrific on PSVR2.

Astro came out earlier and had the VR impact for a platformer, hence VR’s “Mario 64 moment”

Half Life Alyx is VR’s….Half Life moment

It’ll come to PSVR2 after launch to space out releases and sell to a larger userbase

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Astro came out earlier and had the VR impact for a platformer, hence VR’s “Mario 64 moment”...
If that's your metric, you'll obviously want to correct yourself: 'Lucky's Tale' was your "Mario 64" moment. Of course, that's not what anyone means when they say "a Mario 64" moment, and you know it.

If that's your metric, you'll obviously want to correct yourself: 'Lucky's Tale' was your "Mario 64" moment. Of course, that's not what anyone means when they say "a Mario 64" moment, and you know it.

Nah

Lucky’s Tale would be something like jumping flash in comparison

Astro was the true Mario 64 moment. First time I was blown away by the possibilities of VR

Last edited:
If they wanted to have a killer app for launch they should have developed a TLOU vr version similar to the walking dead or a golf game called "Abby vr"

Last edited:
Top Bottom