• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iBuyPower- My Last Hope?

Velius

Banned
I love building my own rig, I've been doing it since 1998, ever since I put my first VooDoo into a motherboard I've been in love with it.

An RTX 3090 GigaByte Aorus is $3999.99 on Ebay. I fucking hate scalpers. I fucking hate crypto-miners, I hope they all choke on their braces but not really anything to be done about the current situation except play smart.

Resident Evil VIII is coming up next month- the plan is to wait to see if it's really as good as everyone is hoping, but I loved VII and assuming this follow up nails it, I'm looking to upgrade. iBuyPower has rigs that you can customize, and I'm looking at a build that seems very attractive to me.

I need your help, Gaffers. I'm posing a few questions:

1) Is the build I'm proposing (linked below) the optimum build for gaming? If not, can you please give me pointers on how to improve? Assume there is no budget, although I of course want to be cost effective.
2) Why does the iBuyPower metric indicate that the Ryzen 7 5800x provides better performance than the i9 and even the threadrippers? Take a look at the expected performance for CyberPunk (another game I want to play at max settings).
3) Should I do AIO cooling or a tube/reservoir kit?

4) Finally, can you help me formulate a plan so that I can run these next gen games with respectable settings at 60+ fps? I am looking into all of this but I get seriously conflicting reports from various sources.

Stats:
Case :: Thermaltake Suppressor F31 Tempered Glass Gaming Case
Case Fans :: 3x [ARGB] Thermaltake Pure 12 ARGB Sync Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition 120mm Fan
Processor :: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor (8X 3.8GHz/32MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling :: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition RGB Liquid Cooling System
Memory :: 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 (RGB LED)
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready)
SLI Bridge :: None
Motherboard :: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER - WiFi 6, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
Power Supply :: 650 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Gold - Free Upgrade to 750 Watt - HIGH POWER 80 PLUS Gold
Primary Storage :: 1 TB ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen 4 SSD - Read: 3900MB/s; Write: 3200MB/s., Gen 3 Speed: Read: 3400MB/s; Write: 3000MB/s

Here's the link to the proposed rig:

Also I'd like to get different cases in the custom rig but the building utility seems to restrict cases. Like I can't get the Thermaltake Core P8 in any of these builds.

Kuranghi

I know its annoying but don't spend that much, just wait until its normal again and/or new GPUs come out. That price is disgusting and you'll be frustrated you spent that much when the prices come down and the 4000 series releases at end of 2022 with 40% more performance than what the 3090 gives you.

If you are thinking STFU and don't care about the value for money then I'm sure it'll be an amazing PC. What do you have now?

1st question: Yes
2nd: If you are playing games at max settings at 1440p+ or higher then don't worry just buy the cheaper CPU. The difference is basically meaningless when you are GPU locked. Unless you plan to do media work on it, then get the higher rated CPU.
3rd: Not the best person to ask
4th: What resolution/screen will you play on?

Last edited:

Phase

There are seemingly more and more of these sites popping up. One I ran across (and bookmarked for possible use in the future) before building my own again was Digital Storm. It seems to have lots of options and the prices are decent.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Hold strong. I've used iBuyPower once in the past(probably at least 12/13 years ago now) and didn't have any issues. But the prices are so crazy right now and there's not really anything at the moment that warrants that. If you have a PC, I'd just wait. Sucks, I've been wanting to upgrade the Ol' 1080ti for the last 2 years and was day and date trying to get a 3080 unsuccessfully, and am on 4 different waiting lists to buy one. But with a 3080ti on the horizon, might as well save the extra $500 and just get that one, if you are going prebuilt too, I'm sure you'll be able to get one more easily anyways.

All that said. Yes, that's a great build, my only slight change I would make is to get a 750/850W PSU, just to have the overhead and for future upgrades. If you absolutely can't wait, pull that trigger and just enjoy!

I'd maybe go with two sticks of ram (x16) instead of four (there are reasons beyond making it simpler to upgrade, can't remember exactly, sorry, but I think it's performance related) and a better power supply. Don't skimp on the power supply.

Rival

Gold Member
If you are really willing to spend that much money might as well drop in the Ryzen 9 5950 as well. I’m ready to build a new PC too (i7-4790k / 1080 / ddr3) and I guess I could afford to drop $5k on a new rig if I really wanted to but the value isn’t there for me. I’m content with my ps5 and series x until the pc hardware market calms down hopefully next year. When the next round of gpus hit is when you will really start to see more games taking advantage of higher capable hardware anyways. And yes get a better power supply.

Yikes. How is that so expensive? Even downgrading from the 3090 only took it down to $3000. I came up with less pricey builds via the front page but maybe I did it wrong.

P. S. CyberPowerPC is another great option for prebuilt.

coffinbirth

I'd maybe go with two sticks of ram (x16) instead of four (there are reasons beyond making it simpler to upgrade, can't remember exactly, sorry, but I think it's performance related) and a better power supply. Don't skimp on the power supply.
I second this. That Ryzen CPU will really shine if you put in two dual channel sticks.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ve had some of my best gaming on PC (built a rig, and Alienware 15R3) those specs will make loading quick. Easy decision.

Velius

Banned
Hold strong. I've used iBuyPower once in the past(probably at least 12/13 years ago now) and didn't have any issues. But the prices are so crazy right now and there's not really anything at the moment that warrants that. If you have a PC, I'd just wait. Sucks, I've been wanting to upgrade the Ol' 1080ti for the last 2 years and was day and date trying to get a 3080 unsuccessfully, and am on 4 different waiting lists to buy one. But with a 3080ti on the horizon, might as well save the extra $500 and just get that one, if you are going prebuilt too, I'm sure you'll be able to get one more easily anyways.

All that said. Yes, that's a great build, my only slight change I would make is to get a 750/850W PSU, just to have the overhead and for future upgrades. If you absolutely can't wait, pull that trigger and just enjoy!
I'll be honest, I would much rather buy parts and make my own rig. I've wanted to get into water cooling and there are custom kits for only $250.00 that look fun.
When does the 3080ti come out?

Velius

Banned
I know its annoying but don't spend that much, just wait until its normal again and/or new GPUs come out. That price is disgusting and you'll be frustrated you spent that much when the prices come down and the 4000 series releases at end of 2022 with 40% more performance than what the 3090 gives you.

If you are thinking STFU and don't care about the value for money then I'm sure it'll be an amazing PC. What do you have now?

1st question: Yes
2nd: If you are playing games at max settings at 1440p+ or higher then don't worry just buy the cheaper CPU. The difference is basically meaningless when you are GPU locked. Unless you plan to do media work on it, then get the higher rated CPU.
3rd: Not the best person to ask
4th: What resolution/screen will you play on?
I'd like to do 1440p. Right now I have GTX 1080 and an i5 Comet Lake. Not enough to run Cyberpunk at max settings at 60fps (no Ray tracing, I dgaf)

Kuranghi

I'd like to do 1440p. Right now I have GTX 1080 and an i5 Comet Lake. Not enough to run Cyberpunk at max settings at 60fps (no Ray tracing, I dgaf)

Cyberpunk is an anomoly that requires tons more GPU power at similar resolutions and framerates in other open world titles to look how it does unfortunately, without RT its a lot better situation but I'd still say you want a 3080 at least to have fps lock to 60 99.9% of the time, at 1440p, Ultra settings.

If you have a 3070 you can do 1440p, 60 locked if you lower to High settings. Most other games you can probably run locked at 4K@60, max settings on the 3080.

Supposedly May 18th.

Oh I should really sit on F5 on launch morning/day and buy one of these, so RRP is $1200? Or is the few hundred dollars off the shortage inflated price you find at retailers?

Its just nuts how expensive they are, I could flip two of them and pay off all my Covid debts in one payment.

Grechy34

I love building my own rig, I've been doing it since 1998, ever since I put my first VooDoo into a motherboard I've been in love with it.

An RTX 3090 GigaByte Aorus is $3999.99 on Ebay. I fucking hate scalpers. I fucking hate crypto-miners, I hope they all choke on their braces but not really anything to be done about the current situation except play smart.

Resident Evil VIII is coming up next month- the plan is to wait to see if it's really as good as everyone is hoping, but I loved VII and assuming this follow up nails it, I'm looking to upgrade. iBuyPower has rigs that you can customize, and I'm looking at a build that seems very attractive to me.

I need your help, Gaffers. I'm posing a few questions:

1) Is the build I'm proposing (linked below) the optimum build for gaming? If not, can you please give me pointers on how to improve? Assume there is no budget, although I of course want to be cost effective.
2) Why does the iBuyPower metric indicate that the Ryzen 7 5800x provides better performance than the i9 and even the threadrippers? Take a look at the expected performance for CyberPunk (another game I want to play at max settings).
3) Should I do AIO cooling or a tube/reservoir kit?

4) Finally, can you help me formulate a plan so that I can run these next gen games with respectable settings at 60+ fps? I am looking into all of this but I get seriously conflicting reports from various sources.

Stats:
Case :: Thermaltake Suppressor F31 Tempered Glass Gaming Case
Case Fans :: 3x [ARGB] Thermaltake Pure 12 ARGB Sync Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition 120mm Fan
Processor :: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor (8X 3.8GHz/32MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling :: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition RGB Liquid Cooling System
Memory :: 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 (RGB LED)
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready)
SLI Bridge :: None
Motherboard :: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER - WiFi 6, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
Power Supply :: 650 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Gold - Free Upgrade to 750 Watt - HIGH POWER 80 PLUS Gold
Primary Storage :: 1 TB ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite M.2 PCIe NVMe Gen 4 SSD - Read: 3900MB/s; Write: 3200MB/s., Gen 3 Speed: Read: 3400MB/s; Write: 3000MB/s

Here's the link to the proposed rig:

Also I'd like to get different cases in the custom rig but the building utility seems to restrict cases. Like I can't get the Thermaltake Core P8 in any of these builds.

Do you have a next gen console? I'd definitely wait if you do.

Andodalf

Banned
Do you have a next gen console? I'd definitely wait if you do.

Yeah this is basically the first time in like, ever, when a console just blows the doors off of PCs in terms of price to performance. Youre looking a 1k+ for a GPU that matches a SX thanks to scalpers.

Azurro

Banned
If I read that site correctly, mother of god, almost 5000 for a build. I'm just too much of a cheapskate to ever imagine paying that much for a PC that I'll use for gaming. I'd advise you to wait until prices fall back to normal, they always do after a big crypto rush.

Last edited:
I got my 1080 TI in a pre-built Cyber Power PC when they were scarce. EVGA FTW3 at base price. Made the whole rig purchase wort it imo.

Grechy34

I actually don't and I would love to get one. Fucking goddamn scalpers I fucking hate them

I know bro. I was very lucky to grab a PS5, extremely lucky. It took every day of having multiple links open to snag one. Good luck my dude. I can assure you be patient and a card or console will pop up!

Last edited:

Macattk15

There are seemingly more and more of these sites popping up. One I ran across (and bookmarked for possible use in the future) before building my own again was Digital Storm. It seems to have lots of options and the prices are decent.

I have purchased 2 PCs from them. One back in like 2015 that came with no issues and fast.

Then I ordered my current PC .... on 12/10/2020.

I didn't receive it until 4/24/2021 even though they told me to expect it early January. Then late Jan. Then early Feb. Then maybe March.

I'm sure it has to do with the current climate of GPUs, but customer service was HORRIBLE.

No problems with the PC once I got it however.

Holy shit I would not spend that much you’re overpaying 1500 to 2000 too much bro. Jeeeez.

But i guess it’s what you gotta do unless you have bots or have insane luck.

I can’t even get Twitter alerts to work right on my old ass iPhone 6s so that stuff does not help me either. If i could just get a 3060 12gb I would be satisfied...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$4000 US? I guess thats the going rate.

For curiousity I wanted to see how much these gpus go for in Canada, so I scoped out some sites, all out of stock and they go for roughly $2,300-2,500 CDN, which is around $1,900-2,000 US.

Wow.

You could buy an entire PC for that regular price alone, but the gpu will of course be worse.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I remember when I built a decent PC with them for $700 back in 2002.
Inflation is a bitch.

Velius

Banned
Holy shit I would not spend that much you’re overpaying 1500 to 2000 too much bro. Jeeeez.

But i guess it’s what you gotta do unless you have bots or have insane luck.

I can’t even get Twitter alerts to work right on my old ass iPhone 6s so that stuff does not help me either. If i could just get a 3060 12gb I would be satisfied...
I've decided not to do it- if I can get a PS5 then Demon's Souls can likely tide me over until next year

I've decided not to do it- if I can get a PS5 then Demon's Souls can likely tide me over until next year
Good luck with that shit too.

Can't say i'm too fussed about getting the 5 ; my pro will likely be my main playstation for at least another year. I waited until 2016 to get ps4, I can wait that long again if needed. But... I kinda need a gpu, sold my 970 for a stupid price and told myself i'll find a new card quick. Noooope lol. Just sitting there with no gpu :messenger_grinning_sweat:

longdi

Banned
big prebuilt vendors are only ones selling gpu at msrp. you can buy a dell, rip out the 3090 and replace with your old gpu and sell off that system

Grechy34

Good luck with that shit too.

Can't say i'm too fussed about getting the 5 ; my pro will likely be my main playstation for at least another year. I waited until 2016 to get ps4, I can wait that long again if needed. But... I kinda need a gpu, sold my 970 for a stupid price and told myself i'll find a new card quick. Noooope lol. Just sitting there with no gpu :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I never play my PS5 FWIW. Still finishing stuff on my base PS4. Haha.

I never play my PS5 FWIW. Still finishing stuff on my base PS4. Haha.
Why the heck do you do that m8? Games will look like they do on the pro and/or run better on the 5.

There's extreme examples like Second son which are just 1080p30 on base ps4 but you can get 1800p60 on ps5.

Grechy34

Why the heck do you do that m8? Games will look like they do on the pro and/or run better on the 5.

There's extreme examples like Second son which are just 1080p30 on base ps4 but you can get 1800p60 on ps5.

I know, I've stuff installed on it and I just CBF moving it over to the PS5. It's just being lazy.

twilo99

In terms of resolution, 1440p represents the best balance at the moment..

people say its just for PCs, but I think the consoles are more 1440p machines than 4K, especially if want that sweet 120fps.

TheContact

there's nothing too wrong with buying from sites like ibuypower. of course you're going to pay a premium for a prebuilt due to the labor involved in putting it together and their overhead and such, but for some people paying for someone to put it together might be worth it. for 4k though you're getting ripped off and a 3090 is wholly unnecessary but if money isn't a concern then go for it

cucuchu

iBuyPower is decent but you are going to want to replace that PSU quickly. They seem to use HIGH POWER PSU's as their default to save money but (imo) your PSU should NOT be something you cut corners on, especially with value of the other components.

Velius

Banned
This is about as fucking depressing as it gets.
It'd be one thing if we just knew when we could expect more supply. This goddamn scalpfest is just utter bullshit. My new plan is to see if I can nab a 3080TI. If not I'm just going to fucking wait for the 4000 and then buy all the shit for a new rig no matter how expensive it is.

johntown

Banned
I would avoid ibuypower personally. Heard too many bad stories about their builds. If your going to spend on pre-built I would go with a company that uses quality parts.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
iBuyPower is decent but you are going to want to replace that PSU quickly. They seem to use HIGH POWER PSU's as their default to save money but (imo) your PSU should NOT be something you cut corners on, especially with value of the other components.
YUP. I remember when my buddy asked me to put together a parts list for him to build a PC, he literally bought everything on the list EXCEPT he cheaped out on the PSU. Almost a year later, his PC shit the bed and it was his PSU that was the culprit. Took his motherboard out in the process too. He learned the hard way.

Velius Velius I really wouldn't wait if you want to play. Getting a 3080ti is probably gonna be harder than even a 3080. Just get what you want now and enjoy it. If you can afford the 3090 just splurge and get that shit, it's not like it's gonna be obsolete by the time a 4xxx comes out in 2 years time either.

My 1080ti isn't obsolete by any stretch and that thing is going on 4 tears old already. It's because of how well the 1080ti has held up over the years that I can be patient in waiting for a 3080ti.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Think if I had
YUP. I remember when my buddy asked me to put together a parts list for him to build a PC, he literally bought everything on the list EXCEPT he cheaped out on the PSU. Almost a year later, his PC shit the bed and it was his PSU that was the culprit. Took his motherboard out in the process too. He learned the hard way.

Velius Velius I really wouldn't wait if you want to play. Getting a 3080ti is probably gonna be harder than even a 3080. Just get what you want now and enjoy it. If you can afford the 3090 just splurge and get that shit, it's not like it's gonna be obsolete by the time a 4xxx comes out in 2 years time either.

My 1080ti isn't obsolete by any stretch and that thing is going on 4 tears old already. It's because of how well the 1080ti has held up over the years that I can be patient in waiting for a 3080ti.
Think if I had something with a little more oomph than the vanilla 1080 it would be easier.
Thank you for the advice on the 3080TI. I'm discovered the newegg shuffle yesterday and I'm going to keep doing it until I hopefully nab a 3090 bundle.

I highly prefer Gigabyte but in your opinion does the brand matter?

Velius

Banned
Guys tell me what you think

Pic-Thing.png

Jeeves

I'm not a high-end PC enthusiast so I won't comment on your build, but I will second or third the message of putting a good quality PSU in whatever machine you get. I bought a pre-built from CyberpowerPC and it's been a great PC, buuut...the no-name PSU died after about a year. Didn't cause any other damage on its way out, but I replaced it with a nice modular EVGA unit.

tylrdiablos

There's rumours (yes, more) of a 3080ti being announced on May 18th. (And going on sale on May 26th.)
Personally I hate it all this rumoured/speculation shit, but waiting 2/3 weeks might be to your benefit here. Especially at that price.

That's what I'm doing anyway... hope the rumour is true and try to get in on a pre-order, from nvidia or a reliable retailer, as early as possible.

Velius

Banned
5800x is a great CPU and that price isnt out of line for prebuilts I am seeing with comparable specs like Best Buy has 4 or 5 3090 prebuilts in stock now for that price range
What are your thoughts on the different kinds of RTX 3090's? There's a large price difference between GigaByte and EVGA. I prefer GigaByte but if the difference is negligible I'd go with EVGA.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What are your thoughts on the different kinds of RTX 3090's? There's a large price difference between GigaByte and EVGA. I prefer GigaByte but if the difference is negligible I'd go with EVGA.

To be honest I do not think you will see $700 difference in those cards and that money could be put into something else

Velius

Banned
Guys I think I have an option to buy the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme RTX 3090 for $2500.00.

Should I go for it? I'm trying to find it's retail value but all I can find is the "Master" version, which is $2199.99.

HALP!!!

Top Bottom