• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iD Software hiring for the development of a "long running iconic action fps"

MiguelItUp

Definitely gotta be Quake, hell, or even Hexen, haha. I just know that Hugo Martin made it sound like DOOM was taking a break after Eternal.

Xdrive05

Doom Eternal master race here. You Doom 2016 bros need to git gud and take it in. Better & more rewarding game in every way. But opinions are like assholes, etc...

OT: if it's Quake then it can't just be id Tech 7 quake and call it a day. They'd need to reinvent the formula like they did with Doom 2016 and Eternal to make it work now. After the Doom games I have a lot of trust that they'll nail it.

Also please be id Tech 7 or some Vulkan based evolution. That was a masterclass engine. Don't fuck it up with some DX12 garbage because of the new management signing the checks.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You're so much more agreeable when making blind assumptions about your preferred developers :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're completely wrong, I said what I said based on id's previous work. They set the bar visually for 60fps games last gen.

I also think the same with ND, the coalition, ssm etc.

So my opinion is not based on preference, its based on previous work ..

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I’m not getting the hate for Eternal. It was a solid game.
To be honest, I too disliked it heavily at first but that was mostly because of the tone and concept was so different from the 2016 game with it being much more 'old-schooly' and even more arcadey. Once I got over that initial jarring change I ended up loving it though!

FHqPqOD.png

Went on a bit of a DOOM bender last year lol. Can't wait for more shooters from those studios at Bethesda.

Last edited:

makaveli60

As much as I love Doom (to no one’s surprise) I’d rather let it have a break and get a Quake reboot instead. Then later down the road a new Doom that is totally built for current gen systems only, at the end of their cycle even.

Tschumi

You're completely wrong, I said what I said based on id's previous work. They set the bar visually for 60fps games last gen.

I also think the same with ND, the coalition, ssm etc.

So my opinion is not based on preference, its based on previous work ..
I'll keep this in mind with your future comments, see if it matches up.

star trek mariachi GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Doom Eternal master race here. You Doom 2016 bros need to git gud and take it in. Better & more rewarding game in every way. But opinions are like assholes, etc...

OT: if it's Quake then it can't just be id Tech 7 quake and call it a day. They'd need to reinvent the formula like they did with Doom 2016 and Eternal to make it work now. After the Doom games I have a lot of trust that they'll nail it.

Also please be id Tech 7 or some Vulkan based evolution. That was a masterclass engine. Don't fuck it up with some DX12 garbage because of the new management signing the checks.

I would love if Quake was just DOOM 3, given what happens within DOOM Eternal and the general nature of Quake's story/lore.

Tschumi

Likewise.

But frankly its a bit weird you're doing this.

I mean what exactly are watching out for?
Every now and then i see your avatar in a thread and i can tell what you're saying by the thread title, and I'm never wrong, i just like to lord it over you

Certainly not my sole reason for being here

bender

What time is it?
Anyone that dropped Eternal a few levels in due to the juggling mechanic should really go back and give it another go. It took me like 4 levels before everything clicked into place, once it did it I couldn't put it down, I stayed up until 3am to beat it which is rare for me.

It makes Doom 2016 look incredibly tame by comparison.

Eternal took everything I disliked about 2016 and turned it up to 11 which is a bummer. The moment to moment action and feel of the guns is great, but I don't much care for the glory kill loop, collectables being tied to upgrades or upgrades in Doom in the first place. The ridiculous, customizable home screen sums up my feeling on Eternal pretty well.

6bb2mafop9p41.jpg

Sosokrates

Every now and then i see your avatar in a thread and i can tell what you're saying by the thread title, and I'm never wrong, i just like to lord it over you

Certainly not my sole reason for being here

Could u give an example please.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Eternal took everything I disliked about 2016 and turned it up to 11 which is a bummer. The moment to moment action and feel of the guns is great, but I don't much care for the glory kill loop, collectables being tied to upgrades or upgrades in Doom in the first place. The ridiculous, customizable home screen sums up my feeling on Eternal pretty well.

6bb2mafop9p41.jpg

Sorry you didn't enjoy the game. Personally Eternal is the single greatest FPS of all time, IMO. Glory Kills are so much shorter and you can ignore them for the most part if you know how to properly dodge, aside from the occasional refuel moments. INstant kills are plentiful even for massive enemies, constantly utilizing your *entire* moveset is fantastic. Every gun is useful. Every attachment is as well. However, you also aren't tied to utilizing them. If you truly wanted, you could stick to a couple guns only and still beat the game on the hardest difficulty.

I do agree with you on the upgrades, but I also understand *why* they are there. Its a way to slowly teach the player how to utilize everything. Getting it all at once would be far too much. Even just getting one weapon and all its attachments is a bit insane for the average player.

bender

What time is it?
Sorry you didn't enjoy the game. Personally Eternal is the single greatest FPS of all time, IMO. Glory Kills are so much shorter and you can ignore them for the most part if you know how to properly dodge, aside from the occasional refuel moments. INstant kills are plentiful even for massive enemies, constantly utilizing your *entire* moveset is fantastic. Every gun is useful. Every attachment is as well. However, you also aren't tied to utilizing them. If you truly wanted, you could stick to a couple guns only and still beat the game on the hardest difficulty.

I do agree with you on the upgrades, but I also understand *why* they are there. Its a way to slowly teach the player how to utilize everything. Getting it all at once would be far too much. Even just getting one weapon and all its attachments is a bit insane for the average player.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't enjoy the game and I understand why people love it. It's probably a great game by that measure, I just don't think it is a great Doom game or rather, not what I'm looking for in a Doom game. If that makes any sense.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't enjoy the game and I understand why people love it. It's probably a great game by that measure, I just don't think it is a great Doom game or rather, not what I'm looking for in a Doom game. If that makes any sense.

Nah, that makes perfect sense. I do hope we can get two types of shooters from id. More classic style and more Eternal style. Curious to see what they do for Quake (assuming its real).

Also would love to see id do a few "Cheap/Budget" releases. Imagine if they made a new game out of the old quake engine. Plenty of dev teams have been doing this in the indie world for a while now. Ion Fury was one of the greatest shooters in recent years and its just a new build engine game (albeit some great upgrades too).

bender

What time is it?
Nah, that makes perfect sense. I do hope we can get two types of shooters from id. More classic style and more Eternal style. Curious to see what they do for Quake (assuming its real).

Also would love to see id do a few "Cheap/Budget" releases. Imagine if they made a new game out of the old quake engine. Plenty of dev teams have been doing this in the indie world for a while now. Ion Fury was one of the greatest shooters in recent years and its just a new build engine game (albeit some great upgrades too).

I can't tell you how much fun I had last year replaying Quake and the Dusk. I really hope Quake 2 gets the same treatment.

Mess

i hope it's quake, but how the hell are you expecting people to do strafe jumping, bunny hopping. rocket and grenade jumping on the console.

i remember quake 2, q2dm1, the edge, there were so many trick jumps on that map,

Movement is a key aspect of quake, i don't want it to go the way of the new doom games with all that transversal.

Ye, a quake game designed for consoles would be a travesty. Quake pretty much is defined by its movement and there's no way it can be achieved on a controler.

For fellow q2dm1 enjoyers :)

Sosokrates

Still waiting on your reply Tschumi Tschumi .
But I get why you haven't, you are obviously hurt that I pointed out somthing bad about a game you like so you tried to get your revenge by trolling me 😆

Tschumi

Still waiting on your reply Tschumi Tschumi .
But I get why you haven't, you are obviously hurt that I pointed out somthing bad about a game you like so you tried to get your revenge by trolling me 😆
I'm waiting on the next time I'm scrolling through a thread and i see your post, then I'll let you know. Usually takes a few days or even a week~

Sosokrates

I'm waiting on the next time I'm scrolling through a thread and i see your post, then I'll let you know. Usually takes a few days or even a week~

What are you even looking for?

What do you predict my posts will be?

Like say if its a playstation game thread what do you predict my response is going to be?

Tschumi

So you predict that if its a PS thread Im going to be saying something negative?
I guess you've got some quote ready showing you saying something nice about a PS release :p

*Waggles a finger* nah champ, let's just see what happens when you haven't "prepared something earlier" just for me.

Sosokrates

I guess you've got some quote ready showing you saying something nice about a PS release :p

*Waggles a finger* nah champ, let's just see what happens when you haven't "prepared something earlier" just for me.

Its not prepared earlier, these posts are done before any of your lame acusations.
Better luck next time warrior 😆

I dont doubt its gonna be amazing, but what else would an actor say when speaking about a game he is in?

The direction and acting in TLOU2 is of the same quality of a A* movie/show.
So as long as he has the same quality of talent and complete creative control, im optimistic.

Amy hennig wanted uncharted 4 to be like 80% non violent.

Which I actually like the idea of, I like the non violent parts in UC4 and RDR2.

One of The best bosses last gen, i dont play a lot of games with bosses though

I expect they will do the multiplayer thing, and I think after that it will be TLOU3 because the story was left kinda open at the end.

However the business heads might not allow if TLOU2 sales were not great, its sold 4million but there has not been a recent sony update on sales figures, guesstimates ive seen online say 6-8million.

TLOU2 would of cost at least $200million. If sony got on average $30/sale and it sold 8 million thats $240 million in revenue. Not that great from a profit stand point, however it does also help the PlayStation brand as having a reputation for the 90+ exclusives.

I dont really see how the retail model for AAA games is sustainable when games need to sell at least 10million to be a sucess, which would be a shame, TLOU2 was a brilliant game and it pushed storytelling in videogames to new levels. I hope we get TLOU3 I want to see what happens to Ellie and her family.

Whats funny about my post?

TLOU2 is one of my games of the last generation silly.

Your so triggered that even when I say somethings good you think its bad 😂

I dont know lol, u snowball, play guitar, playing some mini golf does not seem impossible.

Also I stayed away from all the memes and shit talk about TLOU2, the object that abby used to kill Joel did not stick out to me at all, My attention was solely focused on the emotional impact of the act itself.

I loved it, the pinicle of 3rd person action games and interactive narritive.

I love them both,

They are both different sort of games, TLOU2 is more stealth and guerilla warfare, where UC4 is more indiana jones meets rambo (however stealth is still well implemented in UC4).

For me as good as the gameplay is in ND games, its the story which keeps me playing them.

The nathan drake story has come to a close, where Ellie, abbies and danas story has not yet concluded. It needs finishing.
I kinda wished that ND went straight to TLOU3 development and have be a 12hr game to conclude the story releasing in dec 2023. 3yrs is plenty of time for a 12hr game.

My recent favourites are RDR2, TLOU2 and Fallout 4.

Some of my older ones are resident evil 2, half life 1+2, and bioshock infinite.

What are some games where your main motivation to play was its gripping story?

Really wish I could rent this game just to admire the texture and geometric detail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom