• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC: 8.8 million VR & AR headsets sold globally in 2022, down 20.9%. Quest 2 sold 7.04 mill, decline blamed on players, economy, & consumer acceptance

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Or enough people wanting to buy it, there are more than enough options and software, for it to have made a much bigger impact by now.

Nah. There's not been enough good software for its impact to be bigger. PCVR has been almost dead for the last 2 years. Zuckerman helped kill it.

“…decline blamed on players, economy, & consumer acceptance”​

All the hallmarks of a failed product/ line of products. Literally the three things you must have in order to have a successful product/ business/ anything.

Last edited:

Paperboy

Virtual reality has mainly three things going against it:

- The cost of entry. You'll have to pay in the regions of a proper console (not necessarily a PS5/Xbox Series X, but still a more versatile console) which comes with its own downsides like mobility but lesser graphics quality or bigger games library with better graphics but tied to a computer. And then you have all these platforms that make it harder for developers to optimise the performance.

- You (often) don't get VR until you've tried it. No trailer can do justice to a VR game, you'll have to experience it - to be IN the game. And let's face it: VR has a more prominent/common honeymoon period than many other things in the gaming world.

- People's laziness. VR comes at your senses and pushes your body in a much more intense way (that's why we love it) than traditional gaming. Many people play games to relax and unwind, not to get an exercise session.

On top of that it's probably both harder and more expensive to develop for VR since it has to render two screens at once and because the camera is not locked (but tied to the player's head) you can't use ordinary performance saving tricks (more of the game world needs to be rendered).

VR is still in an early stage and will always be around in some form or another. When the hardware has matured and you can get more advanced graphics on a mobile VR device then we will see the glory days of virtual reality.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's not the software, it's the overall concept.

The question me and everyone talking about VR gaming need to ask is this.......

- What's the expectation or level of impact do we all expect VR to have in the gaming space?

I never ever thought it would be the "new way to play games" as some idiots thought. I've always viewed it as an enhancement or an extra layer to add to your current gaming experience. I never thought it would replace flat-screen gaming. To me, if PSVR2 sold 10 million units in 5 years that'll be good if it was combined with another 10+ million of combined PCVR headsets in the same time range.

MetaQuest makes things tricky because, by itself, it produces games in a lower quality than your average PCVR or PSVR2 setup.

“…decline blamed on players, economy, & consumer acceptance”​

All the hallmarks of a failed product/ line of products. Literally the three things you must have in order to have a successful product/ business/ anything.

I completely missed this, consumer acceptance is low?

If Tim can get people to accept $3000 he is a better wizard than Harry Potter

Top Bottom