• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC reports 54.4% drop in VR shipments for 1st quarter 2023 year-on-year

"According to the latest report released by the market research agency IDC, with the deterioration of the macroeconomic situation, the global augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) headset shipments will grow at the No. 1 rate in 2023. There was a sharp drop in the quarter. According to the report, shipments of AR/VR headsets in the first quarter of 2023 will drop by 54.4% year-on-year, of which VR headsets will account for 96.2%.

IDC-reports-54.4-drop-in-AR-and-VR-headset-shipments-in-2023Q1.png

Among the top five manufacturers of AR/VR headsets, Meta continued to lead with a 47.8% share; Sony, with its PSVR 2 headset, accounted for 35.9% of the market in the quarter; ByteDance (Pico) with new products and new markets, whose share grew from 4.4% last year to 6.1% this year; DPVR and HTC came in fourth and fifth, each with less than 2% share. https://www.techgoing.com/idc-reports-54-4-drop-in-ar-vr-headset-shipments-in-2023q1/"
Lots of VR announcements this week out of nowhere.

I don't like this style of chart, but we know from Sony's recent announcement they at least sold 600,000 PSVR2 in Q1. We can use that to guess that Meta sold about 20% more looking at the bars. The yellow dotted line does indicate growth so it does appear we are in a recovery.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Today I saw Psvr2 for the first time in an electronics store. They should have done this from the beginning. And it needs a test station.

Really? I'm not sticking my face in that after some unwashed monster at eb games.
Also kinda thinking most people not interested in vr aren't going to try it either......
At least not until vr evolves into a more mature portable product. Fine for us die hard, bit not for most.....

Pagusas

Elden Member
Entertainment Innovation adaption is driven by accesibility. VR in its current state is a fun thing but its failing for the same reasons as videophones and Laserdisc did back in the day.
Wonder if Apple will bring change to that, obviously not with a 3-5k headset, but maybe long term we’ll see an iPad priced be system from them

The chart clearly shows that it's due to Meta selling way less VR headsets in Q1 of 2023. Which makes sense because people are waiting for Quest3. Is the OP who I think he is? Is our guy back, but with a different name?
Did you bother to read my post? Which was talking about the chart clearly showing growth caused by Sony according to the Yellow dotted line?
Nope, just read the title I guess.

Last edited:
0 exciting games coming. What a surprise the hardware isn't selling. I bought an Index almost 4 years ago. It collects dust 99% of the time and the few times I do work up the interest to set it up, I go back to the same old games and get bored quickly. It's dead, Jim.

Buggy Loop

The chart clearly shows that it's due to Meta selling way less VR headsets in Q1 of 2023. Which makes sense because people are waiting for Quest3. Is the OP who I think he is? Is our guy back, but with a different name?

Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

I think you're right

oh no

Anyway, there's so many rumours looming for the new gen of VR headsets, who would be crazy enough to buy in the past months? (PCVR/Oculus side i mean). Those poor bastards that bought a Quest pro at either $1.5k or $999 in the past months when Quest 3 drops and beats the fuck out of it for $499.

Spyxos

Really? I'm not sticking my face in that after some unwashed monster at eb games.
Also kinda thinking most people not interested in vr aren't going to try it either......
At least not until vr evolves into a more mature portable product. Fine for us die hard, bit not for most.....
I don't know how it is in your country, but in my country vr test stations were cleaned after each user. I want to get a psvr2 someday, but since I don't know anyone who has one now and you can't test them, I'm waiting to buy one.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Meta is basically the market and they are releasing a successor this year and jacked up the price of Quest 2 by $100.

yurinka

So despite PSVR2 launch being part of the numbers, the VR market still tanked 54%? Wow.
More than the VR market, what tanked are Meta sales pretty likely because people knew they and more companies will release new headsets this year, plus also Meta increased a lot its price. Plus also there were the 'Apple will release a headset this year' rumors.

I'd say that what it's explained in the graph is a generational transitional year.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Do you have any idea how long VR devices have been a niche product?

Ah, so now it’s about how long a product is niche. Computer and video gaming remained niche for many, many years before it hit the mainstream. And it hit the mainstream because the technology improved until it allowed it to happen. The same is likely with VR. As it becomes easier, cheaper and more accessible it will swiftly become far more popular. All that’s required is time and the right games.

nemiroff

Gold Member
And they’re fine as a niche product.

Some people seem to think these should be selling as much as consoles or PC GPUs, which is ridiculous.
They will eventually though. But it'll take time, and lots of iterations..

What these one-liner drive-by boys don't get is that no one has ever claimed VR to become some kind of mass consumer device overnight (although the accumulated sales is pretty impressive considering). And like you say; it doesn't need to while it's maturing. That's what makes the low effort engagemens so pathetic and extra dumb.

Zug

As much as I love VR, there's absolutely not a single big game in sight. The best new content is mostly fan made stuff (Skyrim VR mods, HL VR mods...), and the PSVR2 has very little new content as well.
It's very sad that there is no such thing like an official VR patch for Elden Ring, CP2077 or RDR2 (the Vorpx thing doesn't count...).
At this point I fear VR will once again be forgotten for another couple decades (I tested a couple VR headsets back in the 90's, Duke 3D in VR, ha! It was awful)

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't know how it is in your country, but in my country vr test stations were cleaned after each user. I want to get a psvr2 someday, but since I don't know anyone who has one now and you can't test them, I'm waiting to buy one.

I wouldn't trust it unless I saw them do it personally. Plus, having people strap on and try out a store demo on a product that's notoriously picky fir the "sweet spot" is a terrible idea. It probably offers negative value other than raw exposure that it exists.

Last edited:

Sophist

I am too afraid for VR. I have never tried but it looks like you are completely disconnected from the world when you have that thing on your head; what if an intruder enters my house and start abusing me? Not everyone lives in a gated community.

Top Bottom