• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC reports 54.4% drop in VR shipments for 1st quarter 2023 year-on-year

Gold Member
I am too afraid for VR. I have never tried but it looks like you are completely disconnected from the world when you have that thing on your head; what if an intruder enters my house and start abusing me? Not everyone lives in a gated community.
It’s just one of the many perks of owing your own VR headset!

I don’t know what it is about VR, I just can’t muster a fuck to give about it. Maybe when there are loads of killer apps I’ll feel differently, but right now it feels like most of these devices are sent out to die 😬

Pejo

Still waiting for its "killer app" IMO. Half Life: Alyx, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and VRChat are the closest it still has to killer apps and it's been years. SuperhotVR too before the dev started removing shit.

Anyways, once it has its first true killer app and more people get to experience it, I think it will take off. I feel confident that it's the next evolution of gaming, but it's just not had the shot in the arm it needs to really get off the ground. I also think it was stupid for PSVR2 to not be PC compatible out of the box, and not even fully backwards compatible with all PSVR games. Dumb ass decision IMO.

L*][*N*K

Banned
They kept making game consoles for years too before they took off.

But even still, quest sold over 20 million in a few years, that rivals both Xbox consoles combined.

Fad.
Why do VR heads get so offended the moment anyone says anything negative about their little niche fad gadget?? Congratulations, you spend $1000 on a thing that makes you throw up after playing for 10 minutes fanfuckingtastic.

And only a moron will compare the electronic landscape of 2020s to 1980s.

plip.plop

I don't understand this nonsense. You have an immune system that is fighting billions of germs every second of every day. You'll live.
I will take a picture of the controllers the next time I go out. I'm good at touching controllers where booger-eating little monsters and neckbeards put their hands on a demo controller. No way in hell would I put a headset on after those goobers decided to.

I own a PS VR2 headset, my first experience of VR, but it was a completely blind buy and I admit that after an enjoyable two weeks of playing different games in a different way, that I have hardly used it since. Not sure why though. I think it's a combination of a lack of killer app games plus no real excitement surrounding the technology. I mean I had to buy it direct from Sony, it wasn't available to try or buy from a local shop.

I guess VR is just another fad like 3D. It's certainly impressive technology but until someone comes up with a pair of cheap VR glasses you can just slip on, Caprica-style, then it'll always be a clunky expensive technology that appeals to a small section of gamers. The fact that Microsoft have continued to ignore VR, as they did 3D, for the Xbox is quite telling, I think, as clearly they don't see it as a technology with a future.

Romulus

Why do VR heads get so offended the moment anyone says anything negative about their little niche fad gadget?? Congratulations, you spend $1000 on a thing that makes you throw up after playing for 10 minutes fanfuckingtastic.

Huh, what? There's nothing offended about my response. You're deflecting and not responding to my points for a reason here. You have no response. You're saying VR is a niche, so I guess Xbox is too. People have been saying VR is dead for 8 years and nothing has changed. Today Apple is jumping on board. Valve has another headset coming. I would rather pay 5k per year and have a few great AAA VR games than the recycled trash we get in regular gaming that was vastly superior 12 years ago. Enjoy the remasters.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Makes sense, been a whole year of clickbait about the "Metaverse" being a bust, with Meta releasing almost nothing to keep people interested in their headset. Looks like a new push is coming with Quest 3 though

HTK

Banned
I don't know if it's just a VR thing or not but I do know the economy has been awful for quite some time and it keeps getting worse. I feel like folks are holding back on buying any luxury items at the moment. It could also be that VR is not as mainstream as folks believe it is, additionally for PSVR2 there just isn't any compelling software on if it yet. I don't know about other VR's and their game's library offerings.

mckmas8808

Banned

Why do people who hate VR, post in VR threads? Why are you so offended that people like something that you don't? Only weirdos care this much about something that they act like they don't like.

I own a PS VR2 headset, my first experience of VR, but it was a completely blind buy and I admit that after an enjoyable two weeks of playing different games in a different way, that I have hardly used it since. Not sure why though. I think it's a combination of a lack of killer app games plus no real excitement surrounding the technology. I mean I had to buy it direct from Sony, it wasn't available to try or buy from a local shop.

I guess VR is just another fad like 3D. It's certainly impressive technology but until someone comes up with a pair of cheap VR glasses you can just slip on, Caprica-style, then it'll always be a clunky expensive technology that appeals to a small section of gamers. The fact that Microsoft have continued to ignore VR, as they did 3D, for the Xbox is quite telling, I think, as clearly they don't see it as a technology with a future.

Did you really buy a PSVR2. Because your whole post reads kinda dumb.

- First, why does it matter what MS is doing in the gaming space if Phil himself even said there's nothing they can do to NOT be last in the "console wars"?
- Second, fad like 3D? How and what has 3D ever done in households that even touch VR?
- The pair of "cheap" VR glasses is at least 20 years away. So, not sure how old you are but.................yeah we'll all be waiting awhile for that.

I don't know if it's just a VR thing or not but I do know the economy has been awful for quite some time and it keeps getting worse. I feel like folks are holding back on buying any luxury items at the moment. It could also be that VR is not as mainstream as folks believe it is, additionally for PSVR2 there just isn't any compelling software on if it yet. I don't know about other VR's and their game's library offerings.

Show me one person that thinks VR gaming is mainstream.

Ar¢tos

Huh, what? There's nothing offended about my response. You're deflecting and not responding to my points for a reason here. You have no response. You're saying VR is a niche, so I guess Xbox is too. People have been saying VR is dead for 8 years and nothing has changed. Today Apple is jumping on board. Valve has another headset coming. I would rather pay 5k per year and have a few great AAA VR games than the recycled trash we get in regular gaming that was vastly superior 12 years ago. Enjoy the remasters.
Some people just desperately want VR to fail because they, for whatever reason, see VR as a threat to flat screen gaming instead of seeing it as an optional accessory.
Also, it is currently "cool" to hate VR, so all the sheep copy each others reactions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some people just desperately want VR to fail because they, for whatever reason, see VR as a threat to flat screen gaming instead of seeing it as an optional accessory.
Also, it is currently "cool" to hate VR, so all the sheep copy each others reactions.
And certain brand loyalists don't have that option yet in their ecosystem, and will flip on a dime like they did with game streaming and game sub services.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Pretty much the same library other then a few other games like HL Alyx and Boneworks (last one will get a release on PSVR2).

Reactions: HTK
Top Bottom