• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If BotW2 releases simultaneously with PS5/SeriesX, which will you prioritize?

If simultaneously released, which one would you prioritize to spend time with

• I only have interest in one of the two, so it's a non-issue for me

Votes: 40 13.2%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 122 40.4%
  • NextGen consoles

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
Guys keep it civil and keep the shitposting to an acceptable degree. You're getting a permaban in my heart if you come in to this thread to say Nintendo games are for kids.

This thread idea comes from a conversation with OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts and it's interesting to know where the community stands with this one. Nintendo isn't launching a new hardware this year, so this year is about a continuation of the Switch experience. Meanwhile, Sony and MS are offering brand new exciting hardware which will fuel our gaming hobby for the next 5-7 years.

However, and this is the catch, launch window titles are traditionally not that great. So there's not that much of a rush for actual software. Let's be honest here, we know the BOTW sequel is going to be sheer quality and a must play. There won't be anything as good as BOTW 2 in the launch window of both the PS5 and the SEX. The same question could be pondered about TLOU2 launching alongside the Switch U if things were reversed.

So it's like holiday and BOTW2 and the PS5/SEX launches the exact same day, you go to the store and you look at them. The new hardware and the new software you wanted. Which one do you grab first? I know you're a big boy and you could grab both (please do not answer that), but even then, which one gets you more excited to spend solid hours with it?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It depends of what games will be ready Day one . For me Ratchet & Clank and Demon's Souls are must have so i would probably pick the PS5 if Sony make a bundle with one of them . I didn't play BOTW yet and I do have a Switch. Is BOTW better than Assassin Creed Odyssey ?

I mean, for me they would co-exist just fine, I think. I would spend some time tinkering with my new next-gen toys but also play the crap out of BOTW2. The premise here seems to be about picking one, and I guess if I had to pick just one, it would be next-gen consoles first and then play BOTW2 later.

It's as is written in the OP: You only have so much free time. You can play either BotW 2 or something on your nextgen console. Which do you prioritize? If you want to dodge t his dilemma with a "I alternate between playing both", then I'd pester you with the question "which one would you probably spend more time with in the first week of release?"

If BOTW2 was releasing this year, Nintendo would have told us by now.

It's meant to be presented as a hypothetical question. IF BOTW2 launches this year.

Is BOTW better than Assassin Creed Odyssey ?

It's considerably better, not that similar of an experience though. BOTW has some AC inspired elements, but the core gameplay is more focused on inventory management and overall it's closer to an immersive sim.

Nintendo games are for kids.

Joking aside...neither to be honest. Being a PC gamer I really couldn't care less about the new plastic boxes (although some of the PS5 design memes are pretty good) and I wasn't really a fan of BotW.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

Literally quit BOTW after 22 hours. So fucking boring, bland and empty. Plus, boring story, characters, nothing but side fetch quests and no voice acting for Link. Come on Nintendo, give me that realistic looking Zelda from E3 2012 and make Link talk.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's considerably better, not that similar of an experience though. BOTW has some AC inspired elements, but the core gameplay is more focused on inventory management and overall it's closer to an immersive sim.
Thanks for the answer . I am playing Odyssey right now and plan to replay The last of us before my pre-order of the sequel arrives . When i have finished those games i might try BOTW .

VN1X

Banned
Fuck haven't even thought about this. I might go full fanboy and just get BoTW2, play more of my backlog and wait until there's a PS5 bundle or whatever.

All still very much depends on both console launch line-ups though. Hopefully we get that info soon.

Mr Hyde

It depends. If PS5 is launching with Demon's Souls then that is where I'll spend my time the next several months. Nothing will come between that. If its not, and BotW 2 drops, it's Zelda all the way, baby. A sequel to Breath of the Wild would instantly annihilate everything Sony has in their release window. Except DS. Because that is a game that holds a very special place in my heart.

Mypmarlo

Banned
Zelda:BoTW was a great game, but the foundation it was built on, systemic nature of it, there is a real potential to built literally the best game ever made.
That what we actually having pretty good chances of getting with BoTW2.
So next gen can wait.

MrMephistoX

Easily BOTW2. New consoles are never exciting at launch: I can’t remember a think about Killzone Shadow Fall and the other PS4 launch titles. Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct were memorable though but so far we haven’t seen what the launch lineup on either console will be.

yurqqa

We are doing it every time - buying NextGen and playing old gen for at least the whole first year.

last time PS4 was purely my Resogun machine for at least half a year.

GetemMa

BOTW2.

If Demon Souls is a launch title for PS5, it will make this a harder decision but other than that there's not a lot going on with the PS5 that I will need ASAP.

samporter

Banned
BOTW2 without hesitation. Nothing on Next Gen interest me. The hardware does not seem revolutionary, the games are uninteresting, and I am not going to spend $500+ to be an early adopter.

Moogle11

Banned
BOTW2. I was not a huge lover of the first one compares to most, but I’m not in a hurry to buy a next gen console unless Horizon 2 is day one. And I think that’s unlikely. Halo Infinite I’ll just buy a month if Gamepass for PC and play the campaign once.

Otherwise, I’m not seeing much in the way of system sellers at launch for me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
BOTW2. I don't plan to get either of the new systems at launch.

That said, I might not get BOTW2 at launch, either. The first game is due for a replay so maybe I'll hold off.

LordKasual

Banned
They literally aren't on the same tier.

Next-gen is getting time priority simply because it's new, and there's more to offer.

I generally already know what Breath of the Wild has to offer, so i'm mostly just expecting more of the same. It's not like it's pushing any hardware boundaries

and BOTW already had the Switch spread pretty thin, so i'm not expecting huge surprises either.

Last edited:
They literally aren't on the same tier.

Next-gen is getting time priority simply because it's new, and there's more to offer.

I generally already know what Breath of the Wild has to offer, so i'm mostly just expecting more of the same. It's not like it's pushing any hardware boundaries

and BOTW already had the Switch spread pretty thin, so i'm not expecting huge surprises either.

Which nextgen launch-game is newer than an improved BotW?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Edited out, forget it

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'll probably buy them all at launch and work through which games are the most interesting first. I don't know the launch line up yet and I haven't seen any Breath of the Wild 2 footage so it's hard for me to answer this.

BOTW felt like one of those magical fresh gaming experiences for the first 20-30 hours then after that it started to wear thin for me. I'm interested to see what changes and additions they make for the next one. Right now I would probably guess I will be more excited by new hardware over it though.

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
Explain, pls.

Like, what do you want me to explain to you that wouldn't already be obvious if you've been paying attention to the XSX or PS5?

I already know what Breath of the Wild is offering because i played the first one.

And any expansions upon the BOTW formula will almost certainly be design-based, because the Switch has a very finite amount of power.

I expect an interactive world and charming visuals. But nothing to be blown away by, like in April when i played Final Fantasy VII Remake.

XSX and PS5 games are on a different tier of hardware from the Switch, which was already on a different tier of hardware than the Xbone and PS4.

So while I have a general idea about what's possible in BotW, I have little idea about what's possible in a game like HZD or Ratchet because what's been shown is completely out of reach in the current console space. Especially Ratchet and Clank, which is currently even out of reach of top-tier PC hardware simply by virtue of it abusing the PS5's specific hardware which is yet to exist on PC.

So....yeah, BOTW2 is gonna be good, but my expectations are already capped by the hardware it's running on, we've seen it pushed to the max and so anything BOTW2 does different has to work within those confines.

So in that sense....yes, i know exactly what i'm getting with BOTW2. And that's a good thing. PS5 and XSX are more interesting

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Nintendo's my number 1 so of course I'm going to go with BotW2. I'll purchase the other consoles at launch with no games and just leave them in the closet until I'm done with BotW2 which could take me months to complete.

Like, what do you want me to explain to you that wouldn't already be obvious if you've been paying attention to the XSX or PS5?

I already know what Breath of the Wild is offering because i played the first one.

And any expansions upon the BOTW formula will almost certainly be design-based, because the Switch has a very finite amount of power.

I expect an interactive world and charming visuals. But nothing to be blown away by, like in April when i played Final Fantasy VII Remake.

XSX and PS5 games are on a different tier of hardware from the Switch, which was already on a different tier of hardware than the Xbone and PS4.

So while I have a general idea about what's possible in BotW, I have little idea about what's possible in a game like HZD or Ratchet because what's been shown is completely out of reach in the current console space. Especially Ratchet and Clank, which is currently even out of reach of top-tier PC hardware simply by virtue of it abusing the PS5's specific hardware which is yet to exist on PC.

So....yeah, BOTW2 is gonna be good, but my expectations are already capped by the hardware it's running on, we've seen it pushed to the max and so anything BOTW2 does different has to work within those confines.

So in that sense....yes, i know exactly what i'm getting with BOTW2. And that's a good thing. PS5 and XSX are more interesting

So you only care about graphics? Because your posting doesn't make sense otherwise.

Btw. it's totally fine to be more hyped for nextgen consoles. I just find your reasons weak/nonsensical. You "already know" that BotW2 is gonna have an interactive world? So you're tired of interactive worlds? Like ... wat :D
Not a single Zelda-game has been merely iterative, there's always significant new gameplay mechanics. Meanwhile I haven't seen any PS5/Series X-game that offers meaningful new gameplay. And that's what it's about, new experiences, right? If it was only about graphics, this topic wouldn' t even make sense. So that's why I kept asking you.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
New hardware, especially when it's a generational leap, will always take precedence over a single game release. For me at least. Especially if we're talking about BOTW2, since I wasn't as enamoured with the original like others were.

Last edited:

Mithos

Unless BoTW 2 runs 1080 locked and 30fps locked (docked).... Playstation 5 unless is's stupidly expensive.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Unless BoTW 2 runs 1080 locked and 30fps locked (docked).... Playstation 5 unless is's stupidly expensive.

INbmStm.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen weird complaints about every Zelda game, but this could be the most outlandish one yet lol.

I hate silent protagonists. Far Cry isn't the same anymore. Metro is the only franchise that can get away with it for me but with Sam's Story DLC, the next Metro game MUST have voice acting for Arytom especially since he talks in between chapters.

Next Gen - simply have to give me an overall complete package which includes but isn't limited to voice acting. I'm simply expecting more and better. Not less and worse. I hate muted protagonists. Completely kills the immersion, interaction, etc. with other characters which in turns hurts the story and narrative.

But to each their own bud.

Top Bottom