• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If BotW2 releases simultaneously with PS5/SeriesX, which will you prioritize?

If simultaneously released, which one would you prioritize to spend time with

• I only have interest in one of the two, so it's a non-issue for me

Votes: 40 13.2%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 122 40.4%
  • NextGen consoles

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters

Eanox

I was replying to the notion that any first party launch window title is going to be better or more innovative than BOTW2. That includes the Spider-Man expansion. When I say better, I mean more critically acclaimed and overall more revered by the community. Like TLOU2 is right now, the same argument would apply to a new Nintendo hardware and TLOU2 launching alongside it.

Think about it in practical terms, for the sake of being objective let's use Metacritic. Look at the list you produced there, let's assume those are the launch window titles. If you're a betting man, what is more likely to have a higher metascore, BOTW2 or any of those games? BOTW 2 or ALL of those games?

Zelda is a standard of excellence in the industry, BOTW is a highlight of the generation if you don't want to be hyperbolic. You need me to explain what kind of experience we can expect?
Spider-Man is not just an expansion. It is a stand alone game.
If they think Kena or Spider-man or Assassin’s Creed will be better to an imaginary info. we have for BOTW 2. That’s their opinion and just like yours it is an opinion regardless what Meta-critic says.

Why are you shifting your arguments?
You think PS5 launch titles are shitty using PS4 line-up as an example. I provided you list that it is not. It’s not rocket science that people will choose a new system with Spider-man over BOTW 2. Unless you are insinuating that Spider-man is a trashy game? Unless you think Kena will be a trashy game?

and for your last paragraph. Just like your whole arguments. There’s a lot of assumption and what ifs. You are comparing BOTW2 not BOTW. So as the other posters asked you time and time again. Can you enlighten us the information you have with BOTW 2?

Karmic Raze

I don’t really care about BotW2. Maybe if there was Switch Pro, but the current Switch is an underpowered disappointment to me and there’s no way in hell I’m prioritizing that over the PS5 for ANY reason whatsoever. I didn’t even beat the first BotW or even get an hour into it...

Nintendon’t do it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spider-Man is not just an expansion. It is a stand alone game.
If they think Kena or Spider-man or Assassin’s Creed will be better to an imaginary info. we have for BOTW 2. That’s their opinion and just like yours it is an opinion regardless what Meta-critic says.

Why are you shifting your arguments?
You think PS5 launch titles are shitty using PS4 line-up as an example. I provided you list that it is not. It’s not rocket science that people will choose a new system with Spider-man over BOTW 2. Unless you are insinuating that Spider-man is a trashy game? Unless you think Kena will be a trashy game?

and for your last paragraph. Just like your whole arguments. There’s a lot of assumption and what ifs. You are comparing BOTW2 not BOTW. So as the other posters asked you time and time again. Can you enlighten us the information you have with BOTW 2?

This has probably gone a bit further than I intended, I don't want to argue opinions. If you prefer Xena and Spider-Man Not Expansion, that's fine. If you prefer BOTW 2, that's fine. It's fine either way. Just to clarify again what I meant, what it isn't fine is to expect "any first party launch title" to be better or more forward thinking than BOTW 2 just for the sake of launching on new hardware alone, which is the sentiment I initially categorized as idiotic.

Eanox

This has probably gone a bit further than I intended, I don't want to argue opinions. If you prefer Xena and Spider-Man Not Expansion, that's fine. If you prefer BOTW 2, that's fine. It's fine either way. Just to clarify again what I meant, what it isn't fine is to expect "any first party launch title" to be better or more forward thinking than BOTW 2 just for the sake of launching on new hardware alone, which is the sentiment I initially categorized as idiotic.
I still don’t find it idiotic if someone thinks that Spider-man or Kena or R&C or Horizon a fresh take or new experience or innovative or a better game than BOTW 2.
Since Everything about BOTW 2 is all hypothetical.

In any case you still dodging the question that are being asked to you. Soo yeah...

carlosrox

Banned
i fear it’ll just feel like an extended dlc with roughly the same map and same towns and same repetitive shrines to solve.

Not gonna happen. The map will be significantly altered at the very least, along with countless new mechanics in the game.

Chances are shrines won't even be in the game and large dungeons/ruins will replace them I think.

BOTW2 won't feel the same as the first. They're not gonna release a sequel to such an acclaimed game only for it to be a rehash with little new in it.

Expect big changes, expect tons of new content.

I still don’t find it idiotic if someone thinks that Spider-man or Kena or R&C or Horizon a fresh take or new experience or innovative or a better game than BOTW 2.
Since Everything about BOTW 2 is all hypothetical.

In any case you still dodging the question that are being asked to you. Soo yeah...

I'm not dodging the question, the question is besides the point and if I need to explain to you why BOTW 2 might be exciting then you may never understand it anyway.

For the last time (I mean it bro), the idea that ANY launch title is going to generate more hype as BOTW 2 for the sake of launching on new hardware alone ignores both the track record of the Zelda series and the track record of launch window titles overall.

Mossybrew

I don't put BOTW on a pedestal like some folks, it got boring and repetitive and I lost interest about halfway through, so a non-issue for me.

Last edited:

Renozokii

I don’t really care about BotW2. Maybe if there was Switch Pro, but the current Switch is an underpowered disappointment to me and there’s no way in hell I’m prioritizing that over the PS5 for ANY reason whatsoever. I didn’t even beat the first BotW or even get an hour into it...

Nintendon’t do it for me.
Funny to call switch an underpowered disappointment but you are getting a PS5 over the stronger Series X.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Funny to call switch an underpowered disappointment but you are getting a PS5 over the stronger Series X.

How the hell does that follow? Switch was old hardware when it came out. PS5 performance against XSX in the real world isn’t even known yet. What kind of gotcha is this?

Anyway I doubt I’ll get a next gen console until I have a new TV and the games are there, and BOTW is one of the best games ever made, so BOTW2 gets my vote for sure

Renozokii

How the hell does that follow? Switch was old hardware when it came out. PS5 performance against XSX in the real world isn’t even known yet. What kind of gotcha is this?

Anyway I doubt I’ll get a next gen console until I have a new TV and the games are there, and BOTW is one of the best games ever made, so BOTW2 gets my vote for sure

Switch is a portable console lmao. Let me know when you can take the PS5 out of that weird cheap plastic binder and play it on the go. Switch was also $300 on launch and is one of the most popular consoles ever, so they obviously made the right decisions. We don't know the performance difference? Cmon lol. We know the hardware difference and unless you truly believe in the magic SSD sauce that Sony has yet to actually show us, the Series X is significantly more powerful.

I see nothing wrong with calling out the hypocrisy of downing the switches hardware, which was gimped for a new innovative literal game changing feature, and then hyping the PS5 which is underpowered compared to its competitor.

Last edited:

Neff

If I can only pick one, then Zelda, easily.

Although if the new consoles launched with RE8 I might say something different.

MiguelItUp

When I played BotW I got deep into it, but I never even completed it. I thought a lot of the mechanics were really neat, especially in a Zelda game. But it didn't really grip me enough to finish it. So I'd go with next gen over it. But hell, at the moment next gen at launch doesn't even seem that appealing to me. So I'd probably just chill, lmao.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
BotW was an immense overrated bore so I choose next gen.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Switch is a portable console lmao. Let me know when you can take the PS5 out of that weird cheap plastic binder and play it on the go. Switch was also $300 on launch and is one of the most popular consoles ever, so they obviously made the right decisions. We don't know the performance difference? Cmon lol. We know the hardware difference and unless you truly believe in the magic SSD sauce that Sony has yet to actually show us, the Series X is significantly more powerful.

I see nothing wrong with calling out the hypocrisy of downing the switches hardware, which was gimped for a new innovative literal game changing feature, and then hyping the PS5 which is underpowered compared to its competitor.

Less power on paper != underpowered. Even less power real world != underpowered. The hypocrisy you’re claiming isn’t there. The PS5 isn’t underpowered and will at worst provide games at slightly lower resolutions or frame rates. Switch can’t even maintain 720p on ports of 10+ year old games. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Switch and I understand why it’s that way, but comparing it to a PS5 and saying this is hypocritical is laughable.

Renozokii

Less power on paper != underpowered. Even less power real world != underpowered. The hypocrisy you’re claiming isn’t there. The PS5 isn’t underpowered and will at worst provide games at slightly lower resolutions or frame rates. Switch can’t even maintain 720p on ports of 10+ year old games. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Switch and I understand why it’s that way, but comparing it to a PS5 and saying this is hypocritical is laughable.

PS5 is claiming to be "cutting edge power" while not showing a single game at their "future of gaming" event that even comes close to being as impressive as TLOU2, a game running on 7 year old out dated hardware. It's also coming out several years after the switch and at a price tag that will be multiple hundred more dollars. And uhh.... yea it's not portable.

Both the switch and the PS5 have a gimmick they are focusing on to justify the lack of power, difference is Nintendos "gimmick" is less a gimmick and more an awesome quantifiable useful feature. While the SSD is overhyped trash that by the end of the gen may result in a small handful of impressive results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom