• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If game companies were honest...

mcjmetroid

Thinking of a fun thread idea where we think of a decision made in the past or present by a game company and say what companies really meant.

I'll start with a few examples. Try do it in the format below:

This is just meant to be a fun thread not console war bait or picking on anyone in particular or trying to forward an agenda or opinion.

Remember past honest statements or present.

Company: Nintendo
Event: The non release of Mother 3
PR Statement:
" We won't release it in the west because it won't sell well and Twitter exists. Why would we fucking bother?"

Company: Microsoft
Event: The delay of Halo Infinite to 2022
PR Statement:
" we decided to delay Halo Infinite to 2022 after E3 after seeing the reaction to Halo Infinite by the general public... to be honest it was our first time seeing it too and we were bamboozled by the shit quality.. that what we get for having trust"

Company: PlayStation
Event: 599 US dollars PS3 price reveal
PR Statement:
" Honestly. We really thought customers would buy anything we put PlayStation on for any price"

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The Nintendo 64 expansion pak, really Nintendo should have said it was to cover a bug that was difficult to locate in DK64, which was freezing the game for no reason.

I still think this piece of shit was the worst thing they got out of N64

Last edited:

East of Odessa

Neo Member
Star Citizen will only be ready when we've entered the space age and all the things they were offering digitally you can actually buy for real down at the corner spaceport.

WitchHunter

Banned
A company is nothing more than an abstraction for all the shit people that work there. Shit people doing shit things to you, and you pay for it, then kicked in the butt. It's an abstraction, so you don't know who fucked you up big time. Company = faceless entity, no accountability.

Kdad

PR Statement:
" Honestly. We really thought customers would buy anything we put PlayStation on for any price"

Day one baby...still works too with full backwards compatibility....cheapest quality BD player at the time too.

That said...I've found no reason to buy a PS4 yet...still too expensive lol

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
All:
Pressing buttons as a way of interacting with games is tired and done, but the technology is not out yet for us to be able to move into the next sphere of human input
Here, we'll give you choose your own adventure books interactive narratives with better graphics and this warrants an increase in pricing

They basically DID say that.

Judging by the prices scalpers are still selling PS5s at, they were kind of right...
Lol, you cant compare 599 from 15 years ago to today. It's a different landscape, we have gotten used to pay really high prices for tech. It's like cellphones, do you think anyone would have paid $1,000 dollars for a phone? Obviously not but now everyone does it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The Nintendo 64 expansion pak, really Nintendo should have said it was to cover a bug that was difficult to locate in DK64, which was freezing the game for no reason.

I still think this piece of shit was the worst thing they got out of N64
You need it for Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask too.

assurdum

Banned
Thinking of a fun thread idea where we think of a decision made in the past or present by a game company and say what companies really meant.

PR Statement:
Dude ps3 was already sold with big loses; the fact the gpu sucked, doesn't mean the cpu and the optical drive weren't worthy the price.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

I know nothing about Mother 3 besides that it wasn't released on the West. What's the issue with it that would trigger the Twitter warriors?

Kupfer

Company: Ubisoft
Event: Reveal of new FC/AC
PR Statement: Today we proudly reveal the new entry in the series. It will be totally more of the same, there won't be any innovation and we piss on the roots of the franchise and forgot what made the games good games when they first released - and you stupid fuckers still give us your money, thanks for that.

Kupfer

IIbb4om.jpg

I've never said that.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sony: were gonna tell you these games are releasing in 2021 so that you rush out and buy a ps5, internally we know damn well that god of war and gran turismo were never gonna make it.

microsoft: we were so incredibly unprepared for the launch of our new consoles that we didnt have a single new game ready when halo got delayed.

kingfey

Banned
Company: MS
Event: Console release
PR Statement:
"We went a head, and released a console without any 1st party game support. We didn't bother securing any game for 2020 holiday. Here is gamepass, enjoy eating it"

Before Xbox bros attack me, I am just following the formula here.

mcjmetroid

I feel like this thread is just being used to console war like I suspected it would be.

Try and be a little more creative.

e.g.

Company: Nintendo
Event: Original reveal of cel shaded Wind Waker
PR Statement:
Nintendo of Japan : " maybe this will get Japanese gamers back into Zelda"
Nintendo of America: " Fuck!! Prepare for backlash"
Nintendo of Europe: " Fuck, prepare and by the way this will be delayed 9 months!"

Company: Sony
Event: Making the PS Vita
Lead marketer: Hey make the storage propriety so we an charge people heaps.
Lead designer: Great Idea, we are gonna be millionaires.

demigod

Company: Microsoft
Event: The delay of Halo Infinite to 2022
PR Statement:
" we decided to delay Halo Infinite to 2022 after E3 after seeing the reaction to Halo Infinite by the general public... to be honest it was our first time seeing it too and we were bamboozled by the shit quality.. that what we get for having trust"
They even blamed Covid which was a fucked up thing. Had there been no backlash for the shitty graphics, they would’ve released the game regardless of Covid.

Top Bottom