• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I can choose only one huge RPG to play...

heringer

Xenoblade or Skyrim?

I know they are both different experiences, but focus on what one does better than the other. :)

mr_toa

IMHO Skyrim; there's just so much to do, so much to see, and to much stuff to mess around with even outside the main quest. Warts and all, a truly stellar RPG!

Xenoblade is face-meltingly good, I skipped several meals and sleep when I played it. I haven't played Skyrim so I can't comment on that.

anddo0

Xenoblade or Darks Souls.

Skyrim is a great for the first 25 hours or so. But, then you realize you're playing a Bethesda game...

Kyoufu

Xenoblade or Darks Souls.

Skyrim is a great for the first 25 hours or so. But, then you realize you're playing a Bethesda game...

I'm at 80 hours and the only realisation I end up with is that I'm playing an amazing game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Western, Skyrim. Japanese, Xenoblade. I would put Skyrim above Xenoblade easily though but that's only because Skyrim is massive and has mods and other unfair advantages. Hey, next time make Xenoblade on PC too Nintendo!

I'm at 80 hours and the only realisation I end up with is that I'm playing an amazing game.

Yea, and to say 25 hours and it's a Beth game. Ok, is that even a negative? I'm not even sure if that argument holds weight. If I play 2 hours of FF, oh yea, I know I'm playing a SquareEnix game! Thank goodness we cleared that up.

anddo0

I'm jaded. My Skyrim experience was hell (game is gone now) because of the bugs. I'm sick of being sympathetic towards developers. The game shouldn't have shipped in it's current state.

Yea, and to say 25 hours and it's a Beth game. Ok, is that even a negative? I'm not even sure if that argument holds weight. If I play 2 hours of FF, oh yea, I know I'm playing a SquareEnix game! Thank goodness we cleared that up.

Of course it's a negative. If you're familiar with their games. All the usual quirks begin to show themselves overtime. It's a great game, but it's not revolutionary. It's an improvement over Oblivion, but not by much, combat is still unfulfilling, dungeons feel copy and paste after a while. Again, I liked the game, but it felt too much like their other efforts in terms of polish.

Skyrim is a pretty bland game once you strip away the gorgeous world, so Xenoblade. Although Skyrim might be worth it once the Construction Kit is released because of mods.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Xenoblade. It does a ton of new things.

Skyrim? Just mod Oblivion, its always the same game.

Door2Dawn

Banned
IMHO Skyrim; there's just so much to do, so much to see, and to much stuff to mess around with even outside the main quest. Warts and all, a truly stellar RPG!
Yeah so much to do.

And it's all fucking boring.

At least Xenoblade looks fun.

mclem

Well, Xenoblade is bigger...

(technically)

I'd say Xenoblade now, Skyrim when the inevitable GOTY appears with bundled DLC. The former may get difficult to track down; the latter will always be available.

I've only played Skyrim, so I can only vouch for its amazing quality, but I also intend to play Xenoblade soon. If you can't play both, I'd go for the one whose world interests you more. If you're going to spend 100+ hours in it, make it the most captivating time possible.

LiquidMetal14

I change my mind. I like Skyrim a lot more but Xenoblade seems to be doing a little more different things and the art is as good if not close to Skyrim. I would recommend Xenoblade first even with my endorsement for GOTY on Skyrim's behalf.

Plus, this is a damn good game that needs to sell. We all know Elder Scrolls games will sell so you have to try and support the newer guy here. You can put it over 100 hours into Xenoblade easily too so the longevity and depth argument really doesn't propel Skyrim that much more ahead of Xenoblade. Even if Skyrim can suck a few hundred hours out of your life and that's minus mods :O

Let me re-stress that I think Skyrim is a better game (on PC) and one of the best RPG's I've played ever though.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
you should play this too OP but after you're done with Skyrim.

Like what? I keep seeing this but everything I've seen on the game looks like just another jrpg.

Its not like Skyrim innovates in, you know, anything. So you probably dont hold that up as a critical point right?

The battle system is pretty new, the party and NPC relationships and how they relate to quests, the way the world with the towns and osters are setup is pretty novel, bunch of stuff that feels like a pretty fresh, polished experience.

xenoblade_wii_europe_thumb.jpg

If you choose anything else, you're stupid.

okenny

Banned
There are three kinds of people in this world:
1) Those playing Skyrim
2) Those who can't play Skyrim
3) Those who haven't played Skyrim yet.

Erm... What about those who don't want to play Skyr...

I SAID THERE ARE THREE KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD!

LiquidMetal14

Its not like Skyrim innovates in, you know, anything. So you probably dont hold that up as a critical point right?

The battle system is pretty new, the party and NPC relationships and how they relate to quests, the way the world with the towns and osters are setup is pretty novel, bunch of stuff that feels like a pretty fresh, polished experience.

It does a lot of what Skyrim does in the "sum of the parts" type of way but with better combat I think. I still think Skyrim is a better game but it's also just improving on fundamentals laid forth by previous installments. Both are great time sinks. I will still say Skyrim is GOTY but Xenoblade should be in any Wii owners library if you like RPG's.

There's something about the world and the way you go about in Skyrim that Bethesda just got right. It's not exactly the same style of slow plowing game. And we've yet to even get the Creation Kit which will be directly tied to Steam. If anything Skyrim is only going to get bigger and better.

Derrick01

Banned

I'm not the one saying Skyrim innovates though. Plus I wish there were more western rpgs like Skyrim, we don't get hardly any open world rpgs anymore and the ones that do don't have the production quality.

I've watched plenty of the game on youtube. It still has anime characters with bad voice acting so I don't care how they relate to each other. The battle system looks like FF12, one of the worst in the series. I don't see anything that I would call fresh.

Top Bottom