• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I can choose only one huge RPG to play...

VXLbeast

"I H8 SKYRIM! I H8ED IT FORM THE START!"

That's neogaf

"This is interesting, I like how open this is." (First couple of hours)
"Never mind, this combat is atrocious and the world feels too dead for me to want to explore it." (After first couple of hours)

That's me.

"Never mind, this combat is atrocious and the world feels too dead for me to want to explore it." (After first couple of hours)

That's me.

were you all like
image.php

OMT

This thread should be framed and dedicated as a testament to the hivemind stupidity that GAF hype brings.

FourMyle

That's me.

Xenoblade is more like "the combat is atrocious, so is the writing/plot and the world is completely empty" right from the start.

Skyrim may have shallow combat, but it is much more fun than Xenoblade's offline MMO abortion of a combat system, and Skyrim's world is just leagues ahead of Xenolade's too. It much more immsersive, filled with interesting lore and places for your to discover and things to do.

Plus, there are some amazing mods for Skyrim out there right now.

Mileena

Banned
I've played much more of Skyrim, but definitely Xenoblade. I wish I didn't get audio lag on Dolphin or I'd have beaten it by now.

heringer

Ok, 15 hours in and I'm still having a lot of fun, but I can see where some of the criticisms come from. Combat can get very trite. Nowhere near as bad as Oblivion but it can still be very repetitive.

Slaying dragons is good fun though! Hopefully they learn new tricks later, otherwise that will become repetitive too.

Ferro

I haven't played Xenoblade, but I would say go with the game that is not Syrim. For me Syrim ended up becoming very dull very quickly.

Ahasverus

This thread is good for the fact that it shows how much in love gaf was of Skyrim, yet as the time passed it became a "bad" game and a "disgrace" to rpg and gaming in general, same with MGS4 and GTAIV and other stuff.

That was back when neoGAf thought Skyrim was "its game" but then it became mainstream and now it's casual shit, of course Xenoblade the underdog is going to be the best thing ever.

heringer

I dunno guys, I think I might be a little bored with it already. :(

All I can think about while I'm playing is that I wish I was playing Deus Ex (just started this one). Killing dragons almost feels like a chore now.

I'll keep playing it though. We'll see what happens.

justjim89

I bought Skyrim this summer having never played a TES game before, and put about 15 hours in before I started playing something else. I stopped right at the start of the Dark Brotherhood questline. I started playing again around 3 weeks ago, and have since put about 45 more hours in, and most of it has been doing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests. Holy shit this game. Just got back to the main story and I feel like I still have a long way to go on that. I can see why people were flipping shit about this game when it launched.

demidar

I dunno guys, I think I might be a little bored with it already. :(

All I can think about while I'm playing is that I wish I was playing Deus Ex (just started this one). Killing dragons almost feels like a chore now.

I'll keep playing it though. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, the game does a great job of making dragons feel tedious. Turns out, Skyrim's majority race aren't Nords, it's dragons because they're fucking everywhere. Combat is hot garbage, world is empty despite having lots of "dungeons", the dissonance of being the grandmaster of every guild and not actually affecting anything, shitty perk system. If you want you can fill it up with mods, get Skyrim Reborn to overhaul a lot of things but if you're not having any fun I suggest just dropping it since it's not gonna get any better, you'll just become a fetch quest zombie.

Get Morrowind instead, it's combat is kind of shitty but it's far more immersive and the world doesn't feel like it exists solely to fellate your ego.

eXistor

Difficult. If the PC version is an option, then go for a heavily modded Skyrim. If console only, Xenoblade and don't even look back on that decision.

/edit: Holy shit, old thread.

Top Bottom