• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Not for The PS5, Final Fantasy 16 Would Still be in Development, Says Game Director

fermcr

The amount of BS these guys from Square vomit is absurd...

big-pile-of-shit-jurassic-park.gif

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anything that shortens load times is a huge benefit during development and QA. Shaving off a few seconds over thousands of cycles for hundreds of participants is going to save man-months of time. Its actually a pretty impactful efficiency gain.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Everything im hearing is just great. Its so nice to have a final fantasy game come out with no major development issues after the shit shows that were xv and xiii

kingyala

Banned
final-fantasy-16-ps5.original.jpg

Being a PS5 timed exclusive, Final Fantasy XVI utilizes the full capacity of the PS5 hardware and the dev team has all the praises for it.

According to Game producer Naoki Yoshida (Latest Edition of Play Magazine UK):

Since the release of PlayStation 5, there only have been handful of games that have utilized the full potential of the PS5 hardware. Final Fantasy 16 would feel and play like those first party games.

Game director, Hiroshi Takai on the other hand believes that if it weren’t for the PS5 hardware, the would have been still in development.

So it seems like despite all the criticism related to Final Fantasy 16 exclusivity, developers are quite happy with what they have managed to achieve with the PS5 for the time being.

While Final Fantasy 16 is not a typical open-world game, it has areas that resemble Final Fantasy X and XII, explained Naoki Yoshida.

He further explains:

Final Fantasy 16 seems to have reached Gold status and will release exclusively for the PS5 on June 22, 2023.

[/URL]
dont you know its a crime to praise ps5 ssd and io... the sentence is you get banned from the internet and the judge is alex and beyond 3d are the jurors

Would be good to get a good dev take on here to really highlight how/why PS5 makes development easier.

I can relate somewhat from my line of work - I have to deal with massive financial excel spreadsheets. Ram + 64bit was game changer but honestly I don’t mind excel getting even faster

Aenima

By the way, how long is the exclusivity for FFXVI?

FF7R is yet to appear on Xbox.
FF16 has a 6 months exclusivity deal.
FF7R was 1 year, but some ppl expeculate they extended the deal to another year, that already expired.

Aenima

Would be good to get a good dev take on here to really highlight how/why PS5 makes development easier.

I can relate somewhat from my line of work - I have to deal with massive financial excel spreadsheets. Ram + 64bit was game changer but honestly I don’t mind excel getting even faster
Its in the article.

If we didn’t have the memory that the PlayStation 5 has and also the transfer speed, the SSD, that the PlayStation 5 has, we would still be development right now.
Focusing in only 1 platform also speeds things up compared to developing to multiple platforms.

I'm just going to wait and see what the final game is like. I'm going to at least give them that chance to prove this.

Channel 5 Thin Line GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The real reason is good management and showing off the game when they are actually have something to show.

Monolith Soft did same thing with Xenoblade 3 on weak ass Switch without any SSD and other tech.

Well efficient team can deliver no matter the platform.

onQ123

It's crazy that PlayStation 1 introduced them to long loading times when they created FF7 now PS5 is letting them make a Final Fantasy game without loading 😂

onQ123

The real reason is good management and showing off the game when they are actually have something to show.

Monolith Soft did same thing with Xenoblade 3 on weak ass Switch without any SSD and other tech.

Well efficient team can deliver no matter the platform.
You do know that Switch storage is Solid State right?

onQ123

Hmmmm actually I didn’t, I thought this was mostly for ”next gen” machines.
Solid State just means that it's no moving parts ( no spinning disc/disk )

Switch storage & memory is nowhere near as fast as what is in PS5 or Xbox Series consoles but the storage is still Solid-State.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Solid State just means that it's no moving parts ( no spinning disc/disk )

Switch storage & memory is nowhere near as fast as what is in PS5 or Xbox Series consoles but the storage is still Solid-State.
That makes sense, but I still stand on my post, this has much more to do with good management and being more efficient. We have still plenty of PS5 games that gets delayed and suffering from development issues.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Who do they think they can fool with this bullshit? By the way, SSD has been standard on PC for like a decade now and Series consoles also have SSD. What exactly makes the PS5 SSD so magical that it somehow allows completely smooth development that other platforms can't offer? This PR-disguised-as-interviews shit is just so disingenous and fake. The PS5 is a good console without this propaganda-tier bullshit. We know SE is deep in Sony's pockets. It's no secret.

Barakov

Gold Member
final-fantasy-16-ps5.original.jpg

Being a PS5 timed exclusive, Final Fantasy XVI utilizes the full capacity of the PS5 hardware and the dev team has all the praises for it.

According to Game producer Naoki Yoshida (Latest Edition of Play Magazine UK):

Since the release of PlayStation 5, there only have been handful of games that have utilized the full potential of the PS5 hardware. Final Fantasy 16 would feel and play like those first party games.

Game director, Hiroshi Takai on the other hand believes that if it weren’t for the PS5 hardware, the would have been still in development.

So it seems like despite all the criticism related to Final Fantasy 16 exclusivity, developers are quite happy with what they have managed to achieve with the PS5 for the time being.

While Final Fantasy 16 is not a typical open-world game, it has areas that resemble Final Fantasy X and XII, explained Naoki Yoshida.

He further explains:

Final Fantasy 16 seems to have reached Gold status and will release exclusively for the PS5 on June 22, 2023.

dIbh65n.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The PC port of this is going to be a mess. I can already feel it.
Nah, the game was unveiled running on a PC. Thats where it started development. This is just PR.

Literally the first thing they say is that its running on PC emulating the PS5.

Respawn was also talking about needing the SSD and their game runs on HDD. Hell, Matrix runs on an HDD.

onQ123

That makes sense, but I still stand on my post, this has much more to do with good management and being more efficient. We have still plenty of PS5 games that gets delayed and suffering from development issues.
Do we?

A good example is Hogwarts Legacy releasing on PS5 & Series consoles but facing delays on PS4 , Xbox One @ Switch.

We also have Bbaldur's Gate 3 running into problems on Series S for whatever reason .

Crayon

Who do they think they can fool with this bullshit? By the way, SSD has been standard on PC for like a decade now and Series consoles also have SSD. What exactly makes the PS5 SSD so magical that it somehow allows completely smooth development that other platforms can't offer? This PR-disguised-as-interviews shit is just so disingenous and fake. The PS5 is a good console without this propaganda-tier bullshit. We know SE is deep in Sony's pockets. It's no secret.

The ps5's is better, but all the consoles have pretty trick io subsystems. There have been claims that it's speeding up development time as promised, the veracity of which are still up for debate.

killatopak

Yoshida is many things but he isn’t a liar.

He’s very frank about what needs to be fixed, changed and needed to be removed on his tenure on FFXIV.

I personally wouldn‘t doubt him. He has great reputation among the FFXIV community for a reason.

onQ123

How many PC games require NVMe 4.0 or higher?

Release a game that requires a 5GB/s SSD on PC & see what happens.

Funny seeing salty Xbox fans getting triggered by relatively benign PR comments from a dev on a paid exclusive game.

Comments like this should surprise no one. Quite why some will get their knickers in a twist over it is hilarious.

Epitome of insecurity ...over a videogame system

This game could've been made on SX as well guys. Maybe there's some minor differences in speed of development due to ps5's IO...even if there are this game will probably be released on xbox someday anyway

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The reality is that Square Enix are notorious for their bad PC ports.

The state of Nier Automata made me go out and get a PS4 pro to play it (well it wasn't the only game I played on the pro obviously, but that was the catalyst).

And they lost Nixxes who did their only good PC ports. Although FF7R isnt bad. Well the game is bad, but it runs fine.

Skifi28

Epitome of insecurity ...over a videogame system
Or maybe we can just laugh at how hard they've been trying to sell the timed exclusivity as something positive. It's an exclusivity deal like all others and it's fine, but for for God's sake shut up about it!

For the record, I don't even have an Xbox.

Klosshufvud

How many PC games require NVMe 4.0 or higher?

Release a game that requires a 5GB/s SSD on PC & see what happens.
None and neither do PS5 games. Just look at Forspoken which was touted the same for. Runs fine on any SSD. The storage method comes way secondary to GPU power, VRAM size and bandwidth and CPU capability. It's just that SSD speed is where PS5 has a small advantage over Series and why Sony-funded games overemphasise it.

onQ123

None and neither do PS5 games. Just look at Forspoken which was touted the same for. Runs fine on any SSD. The storage method comes way secondary to GPU power, VRAM size and bandwidth and CPU capability. It's just that SSD speed is where PS5 has a small advantage over Series and why Sony-funded games overemphasise it.
No games require it on PC because it's not the standard. Forspoken is a multiplatform game stop trying to use it to discredit what is being said unless you have something to back it up.

Top Bottom