• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony and Microsoft stopped caring about graphics and made consoles innovative in other ways, would you still buy consoles?

Would you buy an extremely underpowered console from Sony and/or Microsoft?

• Yes, games and gameplay matter the most, not the graphics.

Votes: 116 52.7%
  • No. I would simply stop playing games altogether if that happened.

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • No. I'd migrate to PC gaming instead.

Votes: 79 35.9%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd say both Microsoft and Sony have innovated more than Nintendo in the last 15 or so years.
THIS?
nintendo hasn't really done much besides their gimmick shit which hasn't done much for the gaming industry for a whole, meanwhile sony's pushing VR with their games and putting haptics to the forefront with the dualsense, and MS is pushing Gamepass and Cloud gaming with their consoles. the only thing nintendo's done has bring up the hybrid "play console quality games on the go" concept which wasn't even true seeing as how the majority of console games aren't playable on switch. good luck getting Forza to run on a switch lmao

Tg89

Don't care about graphics at all but no interest in gimmicks like motion control or VR. So would largely depend what this innovation is.

-MD-

I never gave a shit about graphics, I'm still playing games from the 90s and I invest a lot in PC gaming.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Like what sort of innovation? I just don't see what direction they can go unless you mean going full VR.

GHound

I'm gonna be honest. It may be working out for them financially, but I don't even want Nintendo to follow Nintendo's strategy.

Moses85

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF
Season 4 No GIF by The Office

OsirisBlack

Banned
Thankfully this will never happen.
It Definitely will, check the steam stats I don't know why we like to pretend everyone is gaming on a 3090. What's the single most popular and commonly Used GPU right now? GTX 1060. Not to badmouth anyone using that card but by current standards for high end gaming its a potato. People that browse these Forums are generally enthusiasts and less than 1% of the market.

Lokaum D+

The only innovation i want to see next gen are good analogic stiks that dont have a short expiration date.

Last edited:

SSfox

PS5 is already super innovative, now it's all matter on when Jimbo will stop crossgen and start to really believe in generations.

REDRZA MWS

True. So far we've seen how challenging great graphics with great performance can be in the UE5 demos, even on some current cards. But also to be fair that's new tech and will get better every day as more devs adopt it. I just worry that the consoles we have now may have launched in the pocket where they were a tad too early to make the true next leap. I'm sure they have a lot to give we haven't seen yet.
Don’t worry, Sony and MS will sell us “Pro” versions in 2024.

Yoboman

If you are talking about changing the controllers then I would be sceptical

As far as I'm concerned game controls are basically set in stone now. Even Nintendo returned to the standard controller setup

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It Definitely will, check the steam stats I don't know why we like to pretend everyone is gaming on a 3090. What's the single most popular and commonly Used GPU right now? GTX 1060. Not to badmouth anyone using that card but by current standards for high end gaming its a potato. People that browse these Forums are generally enthusiasts and less than 1% of the market.
That's not how it works. The combination of the RTX cards makes far higher numbers than the GTX 1060 alone.

Neofire

While not always the case, the issue is that games are so expensive now that publishers and development studios are far more risk adverse.
I understand that but these companies need to learn to budget better. When you have graphics cards alone costing thousands of dollars from Nvidia and AMD I'm sure they aren't being made to do low resolution games.

radewagon

Guys, I have a confession to make....

I F*****n' love great graphics. Honestly and without hesitation, I will go to bat for great graphics every stupid day of my life.

MS Is all about services on a commodity machine... They have yet to even touch VR in the console space.

To be fair, I think that makes sense, all these other things are gimmicks (VR may be an exception).

Wonko_C

If you voted Yes and haven't purchased a VR headset you don't really want innovation, just the same thing over and over again.

bender

What time is it?
I understand that but these companies need to learn to budget better. When you have graphics cards alone costing thousands of dollars from Nvidia and AMD I'm sure they aren't being made to do low resolution games.

No amount of budgeting would allow you to make a game and target graphics cards that cost thousands of dollars.

DaGwaphics

Sony's bread and butter are big budget/high production value games, it makes no sense to develop these games in a platform that is too underpowered. They are untouched when it comes to AAA single player games like that, no other publisher comes close.

So you figure Sony is going to quit supporting PS and go full PC?

100TFs greater than 10 and all that.

tired season 3 GIF
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

As much as I like to tinker with PC games and squeeze out as much as I can from my hardware, graphics in the end are almost irrelevant unless the games you play use visuals as a crutch. Visuals certainly can enhance and already good experience, but they can't make a mediocre game into a good game. I've been playing NES and Gameboy games a lot this year, the good games are still good, shit games are still shit. Good games can look bad, shit games can look good. If the PS5 and Series X are the ceiling for console performance I'm fine with that. If PCs never top 3090 levels I'd be more disappointed as more power = more capability to mess with the software but I'd get over it.

The only console I'm interested in anymore is whatever replaces the Switch. Being hybrid means I take it with me anytime I leave town which has become indispensable. I hope Nintendo doesn't chase 4K but rather sticks to a 1080p hybrid format like the one they're using. Clearly the 720P screen hasn't stopped the Switch from selling well and 1080p would be just right for it's size.

So you figure Sony is going to quit supporting PS and go full PC?

100TFs greater than 10 and all that.

tired season 3 GIF
:messenger_tears_of_joy:
What are you talking about? Please, show me a PC game that makes Horizon FW, TLoU2 (both PS4 games) or Rift Apart look like they are running on a machine that is too underpowered. When I say too underpower I'm talking about something like the Switch that can't even get proper ports of most games.

The GPUs you are talking about are just rumors at this point, aren't event on the market and cost multiple times the price of an entire console.

Last edited:

Neofire

No amount of budgeting would allow you to make a game and target graphics cards that cost thousands of dollars.
I never said developers target high end graphics cards I said that the companies that make them didn't put them on the market just so that low budget games solely could be made.

Some developers will aim for high graphical fidelity games some will do low graphical fidelity games. Likewise the studios that balance the two.

Jimmy_liv

We have this, it's called the Switch.

Despite owning one the frame rates and resolution are absolutely horrible.

K2D

Banned
>Yes, but where I previously only played games on console, I'd do more gaming on PC than before (50/50)..

OsirisBlack

Banned
That's not how it works. The combination of the RTX cards makes far higher numbers than the GTX 1060 alone.
Don't do this. You know which has a higher overall %. The lower-powered cards make up almost 40% of everything before you even get out of the top of the charts.

Sony's bread and butter are big budget/high production value games, it makes no sense to develop these games in a platform that is too underpowered. They are untouched when it comes to AAA single player games like that, no other publisher comes close.

Nintendo games have a different sort of appeal and although I like some of them like Zelda BoTW, I don't get excited about their games anymore.

As for MS, I don't care for their hardware, I already play on PC. Still, I would wish it to be powerful and close enough to what Sony is offering so that multiplatform titles don't end up being made with the weaker machine in mind.
I agree.

I am sorry but gameplay matters the most is not true not for many games and genres.Graphics is the most important part.In first person view graphics is all especially in serous games or horror games.P.T with Pokémon graphics would be absolute trash and a bad joke but P.T now and more in real life like graphics changes everything and you would be scared for life.GTA with amazing graphics would be 100 times more fun than GTA with kiddo graphics or bad graphics.Gran Turismo has almost same amazing gameplay from first game till 7 the first game is not even shit compared to 7 why because graphics elevates the whole game meaning of the game fun exitment and so on.An fallout game or TLOU becomes way better in every way the better the graphics get even if the gameplay is normal or basic.Ratchet the newest is amazing what contributes to this amazing is also the state of the art graphics and physics.Long story short graphics is the most important thing in video games for most genres and Typ of games the better the graphics the better dead space will be the better Medal of Honor will be the better racing games will be flight sims and so on.

Top Bottom