• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If the most recent game in your favourite game series happened to be the only game in that series, would you still be a fan?

GymWolf

mgs5 and ff15...i'm gonna go with nah-ah, although mgs5 at least had some nice stealth gameplay.

If we only talk about last gen, yakuza 7 was great, i didn't played mh rise outside of the demo but from what i played i vastly prefer world and infamous 3 was hit and miss, horizon only has one game but the sequel looks good.

I have a lot of favourite sagas, impossible to answer really.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

That would destroy mass effect, splinter cell, Last of us, Thief, silent hill, fallout, sims/simcity, Need for speed, Mario and so many other franchises. Pretty much only Hitman, Witcher, devil may cry, resident evil, Deus Ex and Zelda would be left behind I think among the most notable ones.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Oh yes.

Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

NikuNashi

Oh boy here we go.

Resident Evil Village - Nope, would not be a fan.

Mario Odyssey - neutral, wouldn't anticipate the next release but would probably pick it up on sale.

Street Fighter 5 - nope, wouldn't be a fan.

Very good thread OP, interesting idea.

Seraphym

Hmmm
Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts... Nope
Fallout 76... Nope
Gears 5... Nope but would look at future sequels
Forza Horizon 4... Definite yes
Perfect Dark Zero... Hard no
Zelda BOTW... Definite yes
Mario Odyssey... Yes
Elder Scrolls Online... No

Persona 5 Strikers - it's obviously not as good as Persona 5 Royal but i think i'd have still been a fan if it was only for that game.
Bloodborne - i'll just say it's part of the "soulsborne" series. it's the best game From Software have made.
BOTW - it is the best Zelda so yes.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Resident Evil 8 is easily one of the better ones, so definitely.
Dark Souls 3? Sure.
Mass Effect Andromeda? Fuck no.
Persona 5 Royal? Yes!
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition? Hell yeah!
Street Fighter V? Probably not.
Phantasy Star Online 2? Nope.
Super Mario Odyssey? Yes.
NieR Replicant 1.213232434314343143. Definitely!
Final Fantasy VII Remake? Fuck yes!
Rock Band 4? Probably.

-hadouken

Gran Turismo Sport - yep the game looks and plays amazing (never cared for the RPG elements)

Halo 5 - nope. Odd controls, ugly forge/prefab maps, awful art design

Street Fighter V - nope. Just feels so clunky, and they don’t know how to create fun yet challenging AI in this day and age

Daymos

Zelda, final fantasy, dragon quest, xenogears.

Yes to all except final fantasy 15. I like the game ok but I probably would never have bought it if I hadn't played the series. I actually like anime-style games since they somehow remind me of the super Nintendo era of gaming.. ff4 and 6 and Chrono trigger were absolutely anime inspired. I would probably incorrectly assume that F15 is more like other Sony cinematic stuff that I don't buy.. all the god of war, last of us, etc. stuff.

Last edited:

NahaNago

For devil may cry , final fantasy, smash, dragon quest, and mario kart it would be a yes except for final fantasy because of ff15.

Zannegan

Banjo - Yes
Battlefront - No
Battlefield - Probably
Castlevania - No
Chrono Trigger - No
Devil May Cry - Probably
Halo - Not sure
Mario - Yep
Spiderman - Sure
Titanfall - if you count Apex, No
Zelda - Yep

Psychonauts still IS the latest entry. =(

Last edited:
BOTW: Yeah
Pokemons: Eh
Fallout 76: Probably tied
Halo 5: No for story, yes for multiplayer
ESO: Loved it but Morrowind is still the best
Splinter Cell Blacklist: lol no
Metal Gear Solid 5: Yup
Mario Kart 8: Yes
Mario Odyssey: Loved it but no
Demon Souls: Loved it but prefer DS1 and 2
Final Fantasy 15: One of my favorite single player FFs besides 8 and 9
Final Fantasy 14: Love it but hella nostalgic about FF11 still
Battlefield: No
Call of Duty: No
Mass Effect Andromeda: No

Kokoloko85

RE8... Yes... Probably my favourite RE game after RE2 classic and RE1 remake
MGS5... Yes but its nothing like MGS1. Great gameplay loop and Length
Mario Odssey: Yes
Demon Souls: Yes

Banjo64

cumsessed
Dark Souls (DS3) - yes.
Fallout (4) - yes.
TES (Skyrim) - yes.
GTA (V) - no.
3D Mario (Odyssey) - yes.
Zelda (BOTW) - yes.
Smash (Ultimate) - yes.
Mario Kart (MK8D) - yes.
Gears (5) - yes.
Halo (5) - yes.
Banjo (N&B) - yes.
Uncharted (4) - yes.
The Last of Us (2) - no.
God of War (2018) - yes.
Ratchet and Clank (PS4) - yes.
Spyro (3) - yes.
Jak and Daxter (3) - no.

To be honest, a lot of the time I play the franchises I like but I just stop buying future entries if I’m fatigued (Assassin’s Creed, CoD and Battlefield are examples of this).

Aion002

RE8... Nope. RE for me is a tps and I loathe Ethan.

Destiny 2... Nah. The latest expansion was boring.

Battlefield... Nope. V was terrible for me.

Ghost Recon... Fuck that shit. Breakpoint is atrocious.

Assassin's Creed... Odyssey did that to me. I didn't even see the gameplay of Valhalla.

Everything else... I think... Yes.

kunonabi

Going off stuff in my top ten:

Resident Evil - nope
Silent Hill - nope
Final Fantasy - Nope
Persona - maybe assuming we're talking vanilla 5/PQ2
Castlevania - Lords of Shadow 2 was last right? Hell nope
Vampire - If we're talking the weird follow-ups to Savior probably. Obviously they aren't as good as vanilla but I'd probably still like them.
Elevator Action - yes if we're excluding remakes.
Eyeshield 21 - no, if we're going by the Nintendo/PSP games

I don't know if it's still my favorite, but for a long time, Final Fantasy was my go to answer. After FFXV - no. I absolutely hate that that game is a numbered Final Fantasy game.

My other answer is Resident Evil. RE8 was fine, but I'm mainly biggest on the first few games and, now, their remakes.

Last edited:

NahaNago

If FF15 was the only game then it would be a no. The game had some good parts and I really enjoyed the music and vibe sometimes but they fail at creating an interesting open world.

Devil May Cry V I would be okay with the series. It was enjoyable but not my favorite in the series.

Still waiting on a mega man legends 3 game. Most of the games i really liked back in the day haven't been made in recent years so I've forgotten about how I feel about the last games like shadow hearts, wild arms, final fantasy tactics, and rhapsody.

Last edited:

Fbh

That'd be Dark Souls 3, so yeah definitely.
Not only would I like it, I'd probably like more than now because my only real issue with DS3 is that some of the locations feel a bit recycled from the previous game (the castle with the dragon, the swampy area, the dungeon/jail, etc).

Last edited:

kunonabi

Looking at the rest of my favs:

Metroid - going by other M yes. Samus Returns? Nope
Zelda - nope
Mario - nope
Mega Man - nope
Parasite eve - nope
Street Fighter - nope
Fata fury - yes
Fatal Frame - yes
Shenmue - yes, although not nearly as big of one
Virtua fighter - maybe. Not a huge fan of final showdown
KoF - yes
Style Savvy - yes

Paasei

Note: I'm a die hard fan of games that just present you tools and everything else is up to you as long as you complete the mission(s). I believe games that allow you to play how you want, within the technological limits of gameplay and your own creativity/imagination, presents more freedom than any open world game. Everything in my list is more or less an example of what I mean by this.

Hitman - latest game: Hitman 3 in the reboot trilogy - Hell yeah.

Prey - latest game: Prey (reboot) - One of my all time favorites, yes. Also, the Mooncrash DLC is probably the best DLC ever made for a game.

Dishonored - latest game: Dishonored 2 - Yep, I'm heavily into freedom of gameplay.

Thief - latest game: Thief (the reboot) - Nope. Original trilogy? Then yes.

System Shock - latest game: System Shock 2 - One of the OG's in my favorite genre, so yes.

Fallout: latest game: Fallout 4 - Yes, especially with the continued mod support.

TES - latest game: Skyrim super very special deluxe esport edition - Yes, read Fallout for why.

Deus Ex - latest game: Mankind Divided - Yes, multiple options in how your approach missions and play.

Last edited:
Screen-Shot-2013-06-29-at-9.38.27-PM.jpg

Unequivocally the greatest of all time, and at its best with its most recent installment:

header.jpg

Just keeps getting better with age.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Yes if we count the Mass Effect Legendary Edition; No if we don’t count the Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

I really did not like Andromeda.

Top Bottom