• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you are done with Win10 Store bugs (Directly tied to Xbox app), try getting Win11 store

Utherellus

So I have been fighting with Win10 Store bugs for years now. Nothing major, but still very annoying. Pressing update app never works. Installing can take ages and etc. In short we can all agree that it has many issues.

Microsoft started releasing new, Win11 version of Store on Win10 through Insider Tester ring.

But here is tutorial how to install it without participation of Insider Program: https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/10/28/you-can-now-install-new-microsoft-store-on-windows-10/
Only takes downloading new store and executing couple of commands in PowerShell.

And...... holy shit guys. Each bug that was affecting my nerves just disappeared. Hence, Xbox/Gamepass App became more responsive and fluid in terms of updating and downloading things.

Guess it's a nice alternative without migrating on Windows 11.

Last edited:
does the new Windows 11 store not complete fuckup your drive with bullshit permissions? i downloaded flight sim because of the £1 gamepass deal to try it out but when i bought the game on Steam and i tried deleting the game Windows threw a shit fit and didn't let me delete their folders. also, one time i think it was Halo MCC i had installed and i done a clean install. after reinstalling windows and putting my secondary drive (where my games are) the store refused to let me play the game. not only that i couldn't simply delete Halo and download it again. Windows straight up wouldn't let me use that drive. And again because the fucking folders are a nightmare to delete eventually I just thought fuckthis and nuked the SSD. so now i had to download not just Halo again but all my other games from Steam, Epic, Riot, Rockstar, GOG, Origin. I have a 2TB drive so that was a shit load of downloads and time wasted.

Last edited:

Utherellus

oh damn.. not sure because just checked my drive(FH5 preload and Everspace2 on it) and it's working as intended.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Thank you, was holding another month subscription until they get out of beta cause I can’t download anything without doing a workaround that’s more 50/50 due to error 0x0000001... Doom Eternal is basically forbidden for me since it won’t download no matter what

Nydus

Gold Member
Who uses MS stores to begin with?
Millions of game pass subscribers?

And the store is really a nightmare. Especially if you don't want to play games in your native language or use another drive instead of C:.
There are workarounds but they are tedious and sometimes straight up don't work...

Nice to see the new store is better. Will try it out the next time the old one shits the bed. :)

elliot5

Millions of game pass subscribers?

And the store is really a nightmare. Especially if you don't want to play games in your native language or use another drive instead of C:.
There are workarounds but they are tedious and sometimes straight up don't work...

Nice to see the new store is better. Will try it out the next time the old one shits the bed. :)
I've never had any problems uninstalling games or installing to my alternative drives. You just label them as installable somewhere in the settings on Windows and that's that. Idk maybe I'm just lucky. No issues between w10 and 11

T-Cake

does the new Windows 11 store not complete fuckup your drive with bullshit permissions? i downloaded flight sim because of the £1 gamepass deal to try it out but when i bought the game on Steam and i tried deleting the game Windows threw a shit fit and didn't let me delete their folders. also, one time i think it was Halo MCC i had installed and i done a clean install. after reinstalling windows and putting my secondary drive (where my games are) the store refused to let me play the game. not only that i couldn't simply delete Halo and download it again. Windows straight up wouldn't let me use that drive. And again because the fucking folders are a nightmare to delete eventually I just thought fuckthis and nuked the SSD. so now i had to download not just Halo again but all my other games from Steam, Epic, Riot, Rockstar, GOG, Origin. I have a 2TB drive so that was a shit load of downloads and time wasted.

This is why I have two drives - one 512GB for Game Pass only and a 2TB for Steam/Ubi/EA/etc. That way, you can just format the Game Pass drive when things start to get out of hand. Worth the investment.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Instead of that wall of text you could just have typed fuck the windows 10 store.

100%💪

TrueLegend

Oh my sweet summer child you have yet to encounter the vanishing install quque and the strorage bloat of failed install bug. Preinstalling Forza has so far been mess.

Topher

Gold Member
I've never had any problems uninstalling games or installing to my alternative drives. You just label them as installable somewhere in the settings on Windows and that's that. Idk maybe I'm just lucky. No issues between w10 and 11

When I install a game from the Windows store it gives me the option to choose which drive to install to. That was the case on Windows 10 as well for quite some time.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, I gave it a shot, even reinstalled the Xbox app, cleaned temporary files, rebooted the system and still can't install a single game from Game Pass due to error 0x0000001... I simply can't, no fix on internet works for me, so I'll just guess I'm damned with this thing... Thanks for the suggestion anyway

Well, I gave it a shot, even reinstalled the Xbox app, cleaned temporary files, rebooted the system and still can't install a single game from Game Pass due to error 0x0000001... I simply can't, no fix on internet works for me, so I'll just guess I'm damned with this thing... Thanks for the suggestion anyway
That's becasue you broke the operating system by uninstalling/force removing something that's part of Windows.

Last edited:
Does it clean up all the bizzare windows root folders away?
I feel like I need to do a full clean install to get rid of everything Windows created over the years.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's becasue you broke the operating system by uninstalling/force removing something that's part of Windows.
No, I started having these issues months ago, I've every single one of the solutions online, even a completely clean re-install on my drive and still no solution AT ALL, trying the new store was just a last breath of hope I wanted to have, not the thing that broke it for me... It just randomly started happening one day and no power over this earth have make it disapear, I had a workaround trying to bug the first download of the batch so GamingService won't bother me with the other downloads so I could at least have a bunch of games installed so I don't have to deal with it so frequently, but now even that is not possible, I'll get the error no matter what

AGRacing

Gold Member
Windows 11 has been excellent on my setup. I've also seen store bugs over several clean installed of Windows 10 and have had no such issues on 11.

It also - almost miraculously - boosted my 3Dmark timespy score vs a fresh install of Windows 10 - by over 1000 pts... to 20,000.

5800x + 6900 XT (reference model).

Fresh installs of 11 work with your Windows 10 keys.

M16

No, I started having these issues months ago, I've every single one of the solutions online, even a completely clean re-install on my drive and still no solution AT ALL, trying the new store was just a last breath of hope I wanted to have, not the thing that broke it for me... It just randomly started happening one day and no power over this earth have make it disapear, I had a workaround trying to bug the first download of the batch so GamingService won't bother me with the other downloads so I could at least have a bunch of games installed so I don't have to deal with it so frequently, but now even that is not possible, I'll get the error no matter what
Do windows updates work and did you "disable" them ? Because the store is a frontend that downloads through windows updates services.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Do windows updates work and did you "disable" them ? Because the store is a frontend that downloads through windows updates services.
I have automatic updates set on and they work perfectly, I actually can download get apps from the store with no issues and some games from the Xbox apps.. some, like I got really lucky, I simply can’t understand wtf is happening, thinking on installing Win 11 to see if it gets solved

Kataploom

Gold Member
Ok, so thanks to OP's idea I just updated my PC to Windows 11... PROBLEM SOLVED. I can download games without stupid bugs lol I think some may need the store and no more but some will need the whole package, I also think MS haven't fixed Xbox app on Win 10 due to being focused on Win 11 version

Top Bottom