• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you die in this VR game, it will kill you in real life

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The first ever killer virtual reality headset is here.

Palmer Luckey, a leader in virtual reality and the founder of Oculus, better known now as a part of Facebook’s Meta, created a VR headset that will actually kill the user if they die in the game, Vice’s Motherboard reported.

Players put on a NeveGear virtual reality headset and open the new game called Sword Art Online, which is based on the Japanese anime and novel of the same name. The players must fight their way through a 100-floor dungeon to escape a mad scientist’s virtual world.

The device is connected to three explosive charge modules above the screen that are aimed at the players forehead. Should the player die in the game, the microwave emitter would go off, obliterating the human’s head.

This virtual reality headset kills you if you lose the game,
Luckey debuted the VR headset on Sunday.

Luckey, who also founded Anduril, a weapons and defense contractor that has won large contracts with the government, said the explosive charges on the headset are ones he usually uses in “different projects,” although he did not specify which ones.

“When an appropriate game-over screen is displayed, the charges fire, instantly destroying the brain of the user,” Luckey wrote on his blog on Monday.

According to Luckey, the device’s creator “was able to hide from his employees, regulators, and contract manufacturing partners. I am a pretty smart guy, but I couldn’t come up with any way to make anything like this work, not without attaching the headset to gigantic pieces of equipment.”

But worry not, the headset is not available to buy.

Founder of Oculus VR Palmer Luckey
Palmer Luckey has not yet tried the headset.

“At this point, it is just a piece of office art, a thought-provoking reminder of unexplored avenues in game design,” Luckey said. “It is also, as far as I know, the first non-fiction example of a VR device that can actually kill the user. It won’t be the last.”

The creator said he wants to keep playing around with the technology used in killer headsets, mentioning the idea of an anti-tampering one that wouldn’t be able to be removed or destroyed.

However, testing that out could result in death.

“This is why I have not worked up the balls to actually use it myself,” Luckey admitted.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
now send all the COD "pro" gamers and see they piss their pants.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is an ancient idea wrapped in a somewhat new wrapping just for shock factor, in typical Luckey fashion. The classic ruzzian roulette as a game of chance immediately comes to mind here.

Matt_Fox

For those worried that VR will become the playground of choice for sadists, sociopaths and deviants... this is not helping.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Honestly one of the most disturbing things I've ever read. I kept waiting for it to be satire but seems like it's real.

Granted, someone would have come up with this if they hadn't already, but all the same, scary to think that something like that can exist and potentially be strapped to someone's head.

Makes me think of the masks in Halloween 3 or Existenz.

Last edited:

Filben

Too bad it's not a real thing. Maybe it would thin out the Gamer peer group a little bit.

But for the masochistic fucks among you, you can try this instead:

This version is dedicated to people that have very big experience with this type of attraction and have quite masochistic attitude towards life. In this version pain stimuli are very frequent, there’s also a very close, aggressive and unceasing physical contact with the staff and a psyhical abuse in connection with an attempt to ‘break’ the participant. The risk resulting from participation is the highest here. It is certain that you will acquire sores, bruises, wounds caused by running away or by the crew’s actions. The clothing after taking part in the show might be wet and ripped. There’s also a big possibility of getting some more serious injuries. Dirink this version the participant may get trapped, separated from the rest of the group and be tortured in various ways for a long time. We highly do not reccomend this version to ANYONE!!!

DaGwaphics

A special gift at the holidays for those you really love (all the usual suspects, loud neighbors, in-laws, coworkers, bosses). PS, make sure you get them a game with no easy mode, just to show how much you care.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
"It won’t be the last.”

The fuck is this moron talking about. Who else is dumb enough to make one of these?

Indeed. Who would be sadistic enough to enjoy watching people killing each other in a murder competition ?

running_man.jpg

The problem with morons like Palmer Luckey is that they aren't alone in their moronery...

Top Bottom