• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had a child, how would you introduce them to gaming?

Kilau

darkcomics2-belikeme.jpg

Havoc2049

I don't have one, but I would think that starting them off with snes or whatever and moving them up from there would be the move right? For those of you that have children, how did you introduce them to your hobby? I'd think that starting off with a ps5 or whatever would have a hard time going back to ps1 and being able to appreciate it
Don't force it. If you are a hardcore gamer, they will probably get into games naturally, IF they find gaming intetesting. My daughter likes to play co-op games with me, either couch co-op or online. We have finished Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance on the OG Xbox together. My daughter has her own Xbox Live account and we also finished Halo CE from The Master Chief Collection. We play Sea of Thieves online together and she is even a Pirate Legend in that game. By herself, she likes to play Roblox and Minecraft online with friends and family her age. Roblox and Minecraft are crack to kids. She is a chatterbox when playing Roblox and Minecraft online with her friends. It's cool to see her laughing and have a good time. She figured out how to play Roblox and Minecraft all on her own, even playing it online, either through YouTube videos or her friends.

Last edited:

Graciaus

I don't think I would. I spent much of my life indoors ignoring the world. When I go see my nieces they just sit there playing the Sims don't even say hi like a zombie.

Knightime_X

My kids started to play a few snes and nes games then quickly advanced to wii and Nintendo DS games.
Then for a chunk of that time it was Xbox 360 with halo, call of duty, left 4 dead, half life 2, and street fighter 4 when they were about 10.
It was a mix of everything within reason.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned

This is common millennial nerd parenting in a nutshell. I've seen a few parents going hard on throwing Nintendo branded stuff at their kids, who would rather be playing Minecraft on a tablet or phone.

I think in 10-20 years, the whole industry is going to be upside down. All the talent that made iconic games and brands in the first place are dying out.

Depends on what they have interest in more than what I introduced them to. My son was super interested in doing things himself e.g. Minecraft or building a PC together. My daughter is more into the social aspect, roleplaying and designing sort of stuff by herself or with friends.

Early on tablet stuff was the easiest and most educational way to introduce them e.g. monkey math, where's my water and the like (easy touch inputs, basic puzzlers etc). They feel like they're playing a game even when learning how to write characters or spell or basic math etc. Once they had those down I introduced some basic PC skills for mouse stuff and console games like NES Mario Bros. As a family we also play board games and cards most weeks too. Play through the mini NES and mini SNES was a blast with the kids. Xbox has been an amazing ecosystem in our household and Gamepass in my kids friends circles too.

As they got older their interests take over e.g. son and friends into FPS style games where daughter more into sim and world building stuff. She's wanting to build her own PC now for streaming/channel stuff. We've always had family game nights as well, stuff like Rayman Legends, Jackbox party games, Wii coop/party games etc where my wife and I are involved. My wife isn't big on video games but the kids and I are.

Any parent ruling out video games is ruling out a world of adventure, skills and these days social circles. It would be like ruling out sport for your kid, stupid. Balance between them all is necessary and don't let any of them become an addiction or sole focus. Our kids do two sports and training as well as excel at school. We're just as involved in their gaming as we are their homework or friends/family circles too.

GymWolf

Manhunt is really nice and he can understand the value of any common object we usually gave for granted, you never know when a plastic bag or a piece of glass can save your life.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wouldn't give it much thought. if they show interest in it then they can play it. if not then fine. i'm not forcing it on them.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There are three buttons, power, reset and eject.
Man do I loved the SNES eject button as a kid.

And I agree with you, something like the SNES would be perfect. Also the games are among the best there's available while still looking good and being very fun to play.

Tams

A Nintendo game. Probably a Kirkby or Yoshi one. Captain Toad is cute and all, but a bit too challenging for most young children.

Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, and Viva Piñata are also all great suggestions.

Fredrik

Minecraft in creative mode without monsters is a nice start. But 3D movement can be difficult so a side-scrolling platformer might be easier, even some old arcade game if you have a stick, I used the original Donkey Kong for my daughter or ”the monkey game” as she called it lol

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Lock him up in a cage and only let him eat when he beats another boss in souls games.

Also a special diet drink based on game journalist tears.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I certainly wouldn't start them on ancient hardware just because it's what I played when I was younger. Egotistical horse shit.

Whatever is the current Nintendo thing probably, something like Kirby with no-lose mode on.

Valt7786

The way I was, with Doom, Mortal Kombat and Street fighter when they're between 7 and 10, cant remember my exact age.

Oh and Carmageddon too. To keep them well adjusted.

Flutta

Banned
I introduced gaming to my kid and i kinda regret it. Thats basically all he wants to do. All outside activities are becoming boring to him.

So be carefull on how you go about it. Shit is addictive to kids.

Last edited:

Kingven

Hello, me 8 years ago... mission successful.... now he doesn't let me play my games (factorio, mindustry, farm simulator, age of empires) because he wants to play boring FIFA, Rocket League, Roblox, etc.... hehehe

bTA2Gjc.jpg

Kenpachii

I introduced gaming to my kid and i kinda regret it. Thats basically all he wants to do. All outside activities are becoming boring to him.

So be carefull on how you go about it. Shit is addictive to kids.

Happened with me also, really outgoing, lots of friends. lots of playing outside. Got a PC never saw daylight again.

SteadyEvo

I wouldn’t. My kids play because they see me play and ask to try. Then end up commandeering the console. Forcing my to buy another for myself 🫤 The joys of parenthood

Interfectum

I don't have one, but I would think that starting them off with snes or whatever and moving them up from there would be the move right? For those of you that have children, how did you introduce them to your hobby? I'd think that starting off with a ps5 or whatever would have a hard time going back to ps1 and being able to appreciate it
I have three kids, doesn't matter where you start them or what plan you'd have for them, they will go where their friends are playing.

My 6 year old beat Mario 3D World and Astrobot, loves both. I played through Sackboy with two of my children. The second another kid introduced them to Roblox, none of those games matter. I now have banned gaming during the week for the most part (unless I want to watch some shit on TV I don't want them to see lol) because of how hooked they can get on their tablet. That shit is far, far more addictive and limitless than anything we played as kids.

Duchess

No kids myself, but my mate's son absolutely hates Sony. Really, really, REALLY hates Sony and PlayStation (he lost his mind when I found out I have a PS5).

And the reason? Because Sony didn't allow Spider-Man to be a playable character in Square-Enix's Marvel's Avengers game. Yep, that's literally why.

He's not bought the game, and won't until he can play as Spider-Man on his Xbox. I told him Sony had done him a huge favour, given how shit the game is supposed to be.

My son is only 9 months old but he's allready 'swiping' on our phones. So anything not directly interactable by touching the screen is probably really boring for him when he gets older..

//DEVIL//

Game him a PS4 then series S with game pass. Told him to play whatever he wants . Initially I downloaded games like sonic for him .. but he switched to rocket league because cars and stuff. Then found out fortnight and now I am stick buying him season pass

Holammer

A friend of mine started with emulators, showing his kids games daddy used to play on NES and SNES, working his way up to Mario 3D World on the WiiU etc. Now his 11yo boy has his own PC with all the RGB bling kids want these days and plays Minecraft, Roblox & Fortnite, typical kids games. The younger girl got her own PC too of course, interestingly neither of them touch the Switch, which is left collecting dust.

Umbasaborne

Banned
However they fucking wanted. I never understood this mentality of my generation of people saying like “im gonna make MY CHILD play the snes first” screw that, i would have hated my dad if he said “son you need to play my atari before ill buy you an n64” when i was a kid. Let kids just play what they want, who cares if they dont grow up to be the hardcore gamer you were. For my nieces and nephews their first games were roblox and minecraft, and they love that shit, just like my first game was super mario world, and i loved it. We need to stop clinging on to our nostalgia and let kids have experiences of their own. Let them become nostalgic about their own shit

Smasher89

A nes classic i guess, plenty of games in different genres to still allow a bit for random taste and the fun exploring alot of different games.

Top Bottom