• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you knew how to make games, what type of game would you make?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm no game developer (that shit is hard as hell) but if i were to make a game, it'd be sort of similar to Prince of Persia on the PS2, but faster and with more of an emphasis on DMC style combat with air combos and score multipliers (while keeping the smooth realistic animation of the original)
It'd also be a metroidvania with a world as large as SOTN's (not anywhere near the scope of hollow knight, though)
The soundtrack would consist of multiple genre fusions- Rock + orchestra, Metal + rap (basically Nu Metal if you don't know) Jungle + Rave, Drum & bass + rock (like in Sonic Unleashed and some other sonic games) & even some hardcore dance music in there

Another type of game i would make is basically Sunset Overdrive meets mario 64. The movement is reminiscent of sunset overdrive, but the overall game design and progression takes hints from Mario 64- you travel to different sandboxes and are given a list of missions to beat and collectibles to find, and the missions are super open ended where the player comes up with their own solution which leads to a LOT of replayability.

what would YOU make if you had the patience and talent to make a video game????

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I’d make a 2D gore beat’em all (final fight, street of rage.

Or my dream project.

An action horror game with a religious theme.
A scientist creates a serum that transforms the protagonist into a superhuman.
While conducting test on the subjects, religious zealots kill the scientist and try to kill you.
You barely escape and they hunt you.
When you defend your self , you discover new powers etc…
You destroy the religious headquarters and find out that they were sent to kill you by god himself because he doesn’t want someone that can be become a divinity.
Then you go on a journey to confront god.
Destroying everything on your path and every religions.
At the end you kill god and take his place and become a tyrant.

For the gameplay, a mix of asura’s wrath, devil may cry (but without guns) and god of war (3)
Extrême gore and very brutal stuffs.

Music: depending on the situation.
Metal, rap hardcore, classic, opera, jazz.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’d make a 2D gore beat’em all (final fight, street of rage.

Or my dream project.

An action horror game with a religious theme.
A scientist creates a serum that transforms the protagonist into a superhuman.
While conducting test on the subjects, religious zealots kill the scientist and try to kill you.
You barely escape and they hunt you.
When you defend your self , you discover new powers etc…
You destroy the religious headquarters and find out that they were sent to kill you by god himself because he doesn’t want someone that can be become a divinity.
Then you go on a journey to confront god.
Destroying everything on your path and every religions.
At the end you kill god and take his place and become a tyrant.

For the gameplay, a mix of asura’s wrath, devil may cry (but without guns) and god of war (3)
Extrême gore and very brutal stuffs.

Music: depending on the situation.
Metal, rap hardcore, classic, opera, jazz.
that sounds really fucking awesome. Straight outta the 2000s though, that is edgy as hell (in a good way lol)
plus, i like the idea of the protagonist being the VILLAIN and you actually play through a "doomsday/the world is ruined" scenario

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sports games with cone of vision. EVeryone plays sports games using overhead or TV style cams because you can see the entire play area, all players, and that makes it easy to be a scoring juggernaut every play.

Cone vision only lets you see what in front of your players eyes. PLayers can have better or worse or blurrier cones pending their stats.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Fixed camera survival horror. Basically more games like tormentas souls but with additional budget

A less complex football manager game. With more emphasis on financials and signing players and less on micromanaging tactics and players

Stylish character action game. Those are few and far between these days.

id UE5 and Amy Henning the heck out of the legacy of Kain games to bring them to a new audience.

High end arcade racing game. True arcade,not Forza horizon.

A F2P multiplatform, crossplay car combat game with e sport potential.

First person shooter games where NATO countries are not the good guys

Last edited:
I've posted this before in a different thread and I'll post it here again. It would be a game that utilized one of these three unused innovative systems:

1 - Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Timesplitters inspired difficulty systems

Developers to this day never seem to want to replicate how these series managed to do things. Basically, the harder the difficulty, the more difficult tasks you'd be assigned on a given mission. It also made it so that you'd experience more of the story and level due to more of them opening up for those harder difficulties. The same type of thinking was applied with multiplayer bot challenges, with some bots being from really crazy(throwing bombs everywhere) to really dumb(slapping with weapons) to being extremely dangerous(headshots only if they spotted you). This can be built on to be more expansive in many ways.

2 - Left 4 Dead A.I. Director should be utilized in other games

In Left 4 Dead, the A.I. director would become way smarter with where and when it would spawn enemies to really push you to your limit of how much you can handle. There were times where we'd barely make it to the finish line with most of the team dead and the last person had 10 health left running from a horde. Another system that no one managed to replicate correctly or even think about how to use beyond this series, because having an A.I. director in other genres, especially Action RPGs(that usually end up way too easy after the halfway point) would be huge.

3 - Someone else's attempt at a Virtua Fighter's Quest mode

Another mode that's highly innovative yet never used. Basically Sega captured data from real life tournament and arcade players in order to create a mode with rankings where you'd have to climb to the top and the coolest thing being that each version of a character was different, including outfit. So you'd fight one version of Akira who mostly played defensively(because the real life person played that way) and the next Akira would be more aggressive, and the next might do more grabs, etc. You'd unlock outfit items and rank up by beating them. You'd have to try it out to see how fun it truly was.

Insert this idea for Action/Adventure, Action/RPG, and Shooters: Raising the difficulty makes the enemies act more and more like real life players, to the point where playing a level on the highest difficulty feels like a better version of Counter-OP mode from Perfect Dark. This would take a ton of data entry like VF but would be insanely good if done right. This shouldn't mean that they have 100% aim(a lot of devs make this mistake), but their positioning and tactics should force you to really think and adapt to how it would feel like facing an actual player.

Edit: I've noticed a few people here being a bit reserved about their ideas because they don't want them stolen. That isn't the case with this post. Please, by all means steal these ideas and run with them. They deserve to be out there.

Last edited:

tommib

It would definitely be inspired by Kenji Eno and Ueda. Something like Colossus but with heavy horror aesthetics. Would have a couple of branching paths and little secrets. No happy endings. Protagonist would end up irreversible mad at the end of the game. Something internally apocalyptic like Carpenter films.

Would also love to go back to pre-rendered graphics and stationary camera angles à lá Resident Evil but with the latest graphics technology. Tone down the action and pump up the isolation and anxiety. A gothic mansion that ends up being in space. A Twilight Zone episode.

Would hire Ben Frost as composer and would tell him to think of Quake’s soundtrack but harsher.

MiguelItUp

A 4-player beat-em-up with a lot of destructible environments and interaction.

An FPS arena shooter with a premise and approach similar to Twisted Metal where there's multiple characters duking it out that have their own unique abilities, etc.

An "Aliens" game that takes huge inspiration from Natural Selection 1/2 and Gloom. Aliens vs Marines, base/hive building, alien evolution, etc.

Probably all UE5 based, haha.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
* I have many ideas. - Make a Survival Racing game, of the Battle Royale Genre, but in the Mad Max Style.

* If I could make a game, it would be a Spin off of Metal Gear, using The boss in World War II, in fact in one of the scenarios, it would be the Normandy landings and I have always had the idea that in a scenario, a mission will be based on freeing the prisoners of a concentration camp, being a spy undercover as a prisoner, having 7 days to carry out the sabotage inside the camp, based on the character "Witold Pilecki", the scenario would be to have the feeling of the rawness of life as a person within the same field, but at the same time carrying out communication and sabotage for the liberation of people.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Games that are essentially spiritual successors of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Would also put them out in VR.

Wildebeest

I'd make a space sim because people just fall over each other to give you hundreds of millions of us dollars, and you never have to meet any deadlines.

Honestly it's something I'm surprised we haven't seen yet. When Castle Crashers was peaking I was for SURE thinking we would see something. But we never did. :(
I think it's because developing any game that has to maintain that fun aspect around a multitude of physics and destruction based systems require an incredible amount of care and creativity. That's why you didn't see many games try to imitate Half-Life 2 nor the Red Faction series when they were both regarded as genre defining game changers.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I have to make this game that have in mind... of course, I am not going to say what's about. Only this:

'if you have a sick mind, you will discover how fuck up this game is going to be'

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A JRPG-style, with a world similar to that of Panzer Dragoon Saga. But with my own kick, and no dragons.

A moba with the souls characters.
Map looks like bloodborne.
Tank = big boss (theres a huge amount to chose from)
Healer
DPS = gun from bloodborne or bow from souls
Mage

A game where you play as a zulu warrior in the savannahs on south africa seeking revenge on the other tribe that over threw his family. Heavily stealth oriented, fighting both wild life and tribesman, open world and mostly spear based. No real main story just side stories. We have like 0 games that utalize africa as a setting despite it being the most diverese biome. You can go from dessert to forrest to savannah so easily.

Kdad

The concept would begin with a name...something like
S_____ ___L, probably start by putting out a teaser as a playable Prologue. Really ramp the WTF factor.

Kev Kev

Ultimate survival craft game. No narrative.

I could write a damn book about it so I’ll just say it would be like part fallout 4, part minecraft, part skyrim. Lots of collectibles that are uniquely and cleverly hidden, and just fun to find. Fun caves and bosses in the world. First person. Lots of hiding places, sneaky pathways through towns, fun parkour elements, camping, fire building, common sense crafting, character customization and skill trees, and so much more. But all with a big emphasis on the survival craft part. Like out in the woods, being able to build your own shelter wherever, like a wild man of the wilderness type of thing.

That’s the first thing coming to mind at least. Make it VR and that’s like my dream game atm

Also same idea but in space. No Mans Sky really scratches this itch for me, but it can be done better, and I’m sure will one day.

Also a zombie mod (slow walkers) with any of these would be another layer of dream game. Maybe fast moving aliens in the space survival sim.

Last edited:

Kdad

I've always wanted a real time, real world Cannonball run game. Using Gmaps, streetview, live traffic, real world data....race across 'x' distance in realtime. Games would take 10-50hours to complete and real world breaks would put you behind etc...though game would force everyone to have a 5min break per hour so ensure people actually take bathroom breaks. You'd need a device to ensure it is the same person playing all the time so perhaps a small fingerprint sensor dongle?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I've always wanted a real time, real world Cannonball run game. Using Gmaps, streetview, live traffic, real world data....race across 'x' distance in realtime. Games would take 10-50hours to complete and real world breaks would put you behind etc...though game would force everyone to have a 5min break per hour so ensure people actually take bathroom breaks. You'd need a device to ensure it is the same person playing all the time so perhaps a small fingerprint sensor dongle?
that sounds completely and utterly fucking insane.

I want it. imagine the crazy esports potential

Top Bottom