• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you knew how to make games, what type of game would you make?

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Booger simulator.

So I guess that would be a germ simulator.

Follow the path to be a nice, dry snot rocket meteor, or become infected, block the sinus and send your host to the ICU.

Either way, a choose your own adventure / branching simulator that would captivate the masses!

Deerock71

I'd make a 100 story dungeon crawler. I'd throw in 99 other opponents that are nothing. But. Enemies. You might go a day without seeing an opponent, so you'd better hook up a bathroom buddy, because it's the only way you're going to win.
South Park Wow GIF

Naked Lunch

A 2D Gunstar Heroes, 3 player co-op.
The screen would zoom in and out like Samurai Shodown - zooming out for large bosses and such.
Branching paths on top of branching paths for replay value - and 100s of bosses.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A 2D Gunstar Heroes, 3 player co-op.
The screen would zoom in and out like Samurai Shodown - zooming out for large bosses and such.
Branching paths on top of branching paths for replay value - and 100s of bosses.
as a gunstar heroes enjoyer i approve of this
although, i think contra hard corps may be what you're looking for in terms of the "branching paths" part

Final fantasy tactics inspired isometric strategy rpg with mechs, kind of like front mission but I would want the mechs to look more humanoid like gundams.

I would want it to look animated or sprite based like either banner saga or eastward.

I would want just as much class variety and customization as FFT and a good mind bender story with fully illustrated character portraits

There’s heavy melee mechs, heavy gunner, light gunner, sprinters, flight mechs, energy powered,etc.

War story where you fight in alll types of terrain and settings , especially space

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

as a gunstar heroes enjoyer i approve of this
although, i think contra hard corps may be what you're looking for in terms of the "branching paths" part
Yeah Hard Corps is good.
I was thinking more Metal Slug 3 but way, way more branching paths. I always hated how games usually just stop at one branch. Have a branch go into another branch and so on. It would make replaying the game so much more fun trying all the different routes.

bender

What time is it?
Earth Defense Force except you play as a saucy robot and instead of ants you shoot humans. And there will be black jack and hookers.

Last edited:

Fredrik

A mix between genres.

Arcade racing like Motorstorm but open world, until you stop and park the car, then it’s top down twin stick action like The Ascent, until you enter a building, then it’s side scrolling metroidvania like Metroid Dread, until you log into a computer, then it’s a puzzle game like Death Squared.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A sandbox FPS/melee game. Think of it like those PC battle simulators.

- No SP campaign needed
- Solo play against the AI or MP
- Game has some canned scenarios, scenario editor, randomizer with sliders, survival/horde mode
- You got like 5-10 different eras of soldiers. From I guess cavemen thugs to modern day soldiers to maybe even future warriors with high tech shit
- Day/night cycles, decently big maps so you can run, strategize, hide etc....

It's literally fucked up matches where it could be 200 cavemen with clubs in tribes slogging it at night vs. a lone wolf soldier or a team of two with guns, limited gear, night vision goggles, traps etc.... When they run out of ammo, they have to make a run for it to another location or else it'll be hand to hand combat vs. a team of hairy neanderthals.

Or something more familiar, like a futuristic Predator guy vs. teams of soldiers. It's just a different take on Predator with weird battles between two totally different kinds of warriors.

Other era soldiers could be roman soldiers, civil war musketeers, medieval knights and archers etc.... I wouldnt do any weird magic shit because this game would use real weapons.

Last edited:
I'm no game developer (that shit is hard as hell) but if i were to make a game, it'd be sort of similar to Prince of Persia on the PS2, but faster and with more of an emphasis on DMC style combat with air combos and score multipliers (while keeping the smooth realistic animation of the original)
It'd also be a metroidvania with a world as large as SOTN's (not anywhere near the scope of hollow knight, though)
The soundtrack would consist of multiple genre fusions- Rock + orchestra, Metal + rap (basically Nu Metal if you don't know) Jungle + Rave, Drum & bass + rock (like in Sonic Unleashed and some other sonic games) & even some hardcore dance music in there

Another type of game i would make is basically Sunset Overdrive meets mario 64. The movement is reminiscent of sunset overdrive, but the overall game design and progression takes hints from Mario 64- you travel to different sandboxes and are given a list of missions to beat and collectibles to find, and the missions are super open ended where the player comes up with their own solution which leads to a LOT of replayability.

what would YOU make if you had the patience and talent to make a video game????
An FPS with a really, really good story. and somewhat unconventional yet interesting gameplay.

some shit like resistance meets returnal i suppose, except with a well written plot and characters who dont look like karen, and no lame mechanics.

NahaNago

I'd go for a game similar to mega man legends but with more of a fantasy style instead of sci-fi or an old school ps1 squaresoft type jrpg game in a steampunk setting.

Crane

Banned
Rdr 2 esque. Which is objectively the best game ever made. Be it Technically, Story, Detail,Sound you name it. Must have been hell working on it but it payed off.

cireza

Banned
I am currently working on an adventure game for the Game Gear.

No skill tree. No crafting. No fetch quest. Pretty pixels and a story with branching paths to uncover.

Wohc

Banned
Manhunt Remaster VR
Planet Zoo + Coaster VR
90s p&c Advenures VR
Wow Classic with new dungeons and raids
New Command & Conquer game
Dungeon Keeper 3
Blood 3
Hexen Remake
Heretic Remaster
2003 and earlier Rainbow Six Remasters
Myth II: Soulblighter Remaster
Blake Stone Remake

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I came up with a rather bizarre idea of a game recently, I was inspired by it after watching a bunch of Star Trek movies.

Basically the game is going through and simulating bunch of scenarios. Except you're not simulating a battle, or exploration, etc.

It's instead an "Abandon Ship" simulation game. ie the antimatter containment is breached. Life support is failing. You need to abandon ship. Time is running out.
You are the captain. What do you do?
Do you try to save your crew? How many can you save?
Do you go for a final suicidal attack? How much damage can you inflict on the enemy before you die?

There's no way for you to "win", but your decisions will determine how good you are at losing.

The scenarios will be designed to be very replayable. You can "beat" a scenario after a few tries but making better decisions and saving more crew gives you a higher ranking.

Last edited:

I'm nobody

I'm no game developer (that shit is hard as hell) but if i were to make a game, it'd be sort of similar to Prince of Persia on the PS2, but faster and with more of an emphasis on DMC style combat with air combos and score multipliers (while keeping the smooth realistic animation of the original)
It'd also be a metroidvania with a world as large as SOTN's (not anywhere near the scope of hollow knight, though)
The soundtrack would consist of multiple genre fusions- Rock + orchestra, Metal + rap (basically Nu Metal if you don't know) Jungle + Rave, Drum & bass + rock (like in Sonic Unleashed and some other sonic games) & even some hardcore dance music in there

Another type of game i would make is basically Sunset Overdrive meets mario 64. The movement is reminiscent of sunset overdrive, but the overall game design and progression takes hints from Mario 64- you travel to different sandboxes and are given a list of missions to beat and collectibles to find, and the missions are super open ended where the player comes up with their own solution which leads to a LOT of replayability.

what would YOU make if you had the patience and talent to make a video game????
Start on PlayStation dreams ya never know

skit_data

I wish I had the chops to make a game based around music.
Something similar to Audiosurf, where you can select music files and it creates a track that corresponds to the intensity and speed of the music.
The main difference compared to Audiosurf would be to have more gameplay elements, where it switches from a FPS to a racing game into a platformer and so on while always corresponding to the selected track.
Would be even crazier to create so many possible combinations to make it correspond emotionally/lyrics wise as well by creating thousands upon thousands of scenarios that will fit into all kinds of songs as well.

That’d be crazy.

Last edited:

Korso

Co-op games in the vain of Hazelight's games. Probably working with mixed perspectives, i.e spirit realm and normal, or time such as past and future. Each player would have a perspective of one or the other.

1. A stylized cold war era spy-thriller immersive sim. Think Deus Ex with No One Lives Forever-ish aesthetic, and a smidge of Hitman social AI shenanigans. Really want an immersive sim that isn't "dude vs monsters in a really open-ended cave!"
  2. A single-player first person brawler/shooter with a sophisticated physics system that has you deal with unkillable humanoid enemies (vampires and the like) by temporarily putting them out of commission with grievous bodily harm. Guns as a rare commodity (Condemned/Oni-like) and not very effective as enemies heal punture wounds faster than fractures. Perfect fit for VR, but I can think of ways to make the combat fun on the flat screen as well.

Last edited:

Roberts

I would make an RPG with a living world where everybody has their own lives, schedule etc. Let's say you have to meet a guy to get some info, but you do something else instead, so when you meet him, he is already dead and you have to figure out who did it. Basically, a game where you can miss most of the stuff if you are not following your leads. Also, no respawns.

Last edited:

WolfusFh

Assuming I could use existing franchises:
Mortal Kombat Shaolin monks 2. A 3D coop beat em up with a lot of cool mechanics and a "metroidvania" world design.

I'd also make a Sonic "character action" spin off. There's a video on youtube with the ideas so it's basically that video.

A Resident evil 3 remake with non-scrippted Nemesis and a huge explorable Raccoon city.
Another resident evil, this one being an open world set in raccon city during the events of 2/3. Maybe I'd make this one co-op, not sure. The idea is to survive and escape the city. Basically an open world outbreak remake.

Other than that, a quasi open world survival horror game would be cool too, I guess. Other ideas like co-op beat em up with destructible environments was already mentioned, that's another one I would make. Maybe an apocalypse survival game with minimal crafting as well. The idea is that the character is just like a random person with no crafting experience is trying to survive the apocalypse. So the person has to scavenge for the resources.

WolfusFh

Other games I'd make:
Prototype 3 or some game similar to prototype, maybe with more destructible environments as well, and more variety in the city (I think GTA San Andreas and 5 handle this well enough imo).

Some character action game with interconnected huge world, and a "devil trigger" in which you turn into a humanoid Dragon. Perhaps you gradually unlock skills and flight at some point.

Brutal Legend 2.

A mech game similar to Metal Warriors, one 2d and another 3d. You'd have limited fighting options as a person away from the mech, but there would be quite the variety of mechs spread throughout the maps. There would be a split screen co-op campaign as well as a versus mode. I think for the campaign you'd be able to hijack some mechs, I think that would be cool too.

A digimon action RPG. Think Digimon Masters in regards to overall idea, but with better combat and, of course, without the shitty MMO pay to win crap and pointless quests.

I'd probably make a kart racer in the vein of Diddy Kong Racing (still the GOAT kart racer imo), the two main differentiating factors that made it better were 1. fixed stackable item placement (there's always a missile in this particular part, and if you pick up a 2nd missile it turns into a more powerful offensive weapon). and 2. some form of adventure mode with a narrative (no matter how random or cheesy it is). Honestly I'd basically be 90's RARE in terms of the 3 main genres being Kart racer, 3D platformer, and 2D platformers.

As a 2nd option I'd try to get hired at BGS and just learn under Todd Howard for some years and then use that to start making my own open world RPG's in the vein of Elder Scrolls

Nico_D

Something Hitman like but more in spy genre - Hitman/Splinter Cell Double Agent. Maybe that's what IO is doing with 007?

A platforming beat'em up game. A little bit like Crash Bandicoot, a little bit like Katamari Damacy, with a touch of God of War in there.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean iv been part of a dev team before... a very long time ago for a single release.

I guess the diffrence is I wanted in the industry back then and worked on a product that at the time didn't really intrest me, but I came to love the genre due to the experience... even if I hated the game.

Anyway in all honestly I would like to revive the C&C Renegade series. I believe with especially the Battlefield series missteps a more focussed mixed infantry/vehicle multiplayer game is ripe to be a suprise hit.

Fortunately I can sit back and relax as a group of fans are already doing just that.

It's amazing what a fanbase will do when ignored for long enough. As a kid I always dreamed of working for Westwood, but EA soon put an end to that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom