• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you like massive multiplayer shooters, you should probably try Leap. But you won't, and neither will I. Could PS Plus and Gamepass be the answer?

Looks potentially fun. Leap recently released on consoles and PC, but it's a paid mutiplayer only shooter. If the current direction of the industry is to be followed, it should be a free to play game, but it's not. You could pay full price for the game now, only for the playerbase to drop and not be able to play it a few months from now. Lawbrakers, Rocket Arena, Rumbleverse, etc. Multiplayer games (free or otherwise) often don't succeed. That's the risk you take with this sort of thing.

The developers of Leap claim that they want to prevent cheaters, and they do have a point. It's hard to ban people from ruining your game when they can just make another free account. I think one potential solution would be for more multiplayer only games to feature cross play and debut on PS Plus and Gamepass at the same time. Then there could also be a paid version on Steam. I think that would solve most problems, and still allow the foundation for a large potential playerbase. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I think one potential solution would be for more multiplayer only games to feature cross play and debut on PS Plus and Gamepass at the same time. Then there could also be a paid version on Steam. I think that would solve most problems, and still allow the foundation for a large potential playerbase. What are your thoughts?
Smart idea. That way it is paid for in some way which would make it difficult to create infinite free accounts.

The problem is Sony and Microsoft wouldn't want to pay for a game that's on a competing service, and Sony is especially hesitant with crossplay.

Smart idea. That way it is paid for in some way which would make it difficult to create infinite free accounts.

The problem is Sony and Microsoft wouldn't want to pay for a game that's on a competing service, and Sony is especially hesitant with crossplay.

Sony isn't hesitant with crossplay anymore. Lots of games feature crossplay now, especially newer releases. And I'd say developers could also accept a much lower price for their games, with the intention that they'd otherwise be free to play, and with the goal of mainly making money through cosmetics. I would think all parties would be able to arrive at a mutually beneficial agreement.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For gamepass they could just require you to link your gaempass permanently to a second 'leap' account that they could ban, like the ubisoft stuff works now.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I won't because it doesn't look like anything special, new or unique. If PlanetSide 2 didn't take off why should this? Sure, the studio should do whatever it can to survive if folks don't buy it yet Sony, Epic or whoever are willing to fork some money over to have it on a service it still won't be played on.

Hopefully they achieve something like that enough to fund another game that ends up being better and doing better.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If the current direction of the industry is to be followed, it should be a free to play game, but it's not
If you were watching the industry you knew that multiplayer only games that are f2p are mainly battle royale games.

People play them because they are free. If it was b2p and you had to get a shit load players, but no one wanted to buy it then it would be dead out of the gate.

This seems to be a more traditional shooter. Only halo infinite has given this experience as f2p.

I searched the game up on steam and its already 50 percent off with mixed reviews.

Game is dead.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

Top Bottom