• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're into the original Doom mods, you should play this one completely blind

Drizzlehell

Banned
If this is the first time you're reading anything about this mod, it'll be worth it. There have been some videos about it posted to YouTube already but if you have the ability to play this yourself, then you're only gonna do yourself a favor by experiencing the mod first-hand and not by watching a playthrough. Go in completely blind.

I'm only gonna provide some tips on how to run it because if you'll do this wrong you may end up playing the wrong mod file, finish it in 5 minutes and then you'll want to punch me for trolling you. But honest to god, this is the real deal.
  1. First, Download GZDoom: https://zdoom.org/downloads
  2. Then acquire the original Doom 2 WAD from any source you like (either from one of the official releases or... someplace else).
  3. Extract GZDoom, and put the Doom 2 WAD inside of the main GZD folder where the GZDoom.exe is located.
  4. Download the mod from here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/ - the only file that really interests you is myhouse.pk3 (the one that is 66 megs in size), you can skip everything else
  5. IMPORTANT PART: extract the archive to a separate folder from GZDoom folder and copy only the myhouse.pk3 from it, nothing else. Put it in the main GZD folder as well.
  6. Drag & drop myhouse.pk3 on top of the GZDoom.exe to run the launcher, tick off the Doom 2 WAD file and launch the game.
Enjoy!

Also a small disclaimer: if you're not a fan of horror games then you should probably skip this.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Also, don't forget to read the journal attached to the mod, and the pictures. Dawn I'm still unnerved by the really dark part.
Holy shit, I didn't even bother to check it until you posted this and turns out that the document actually contains clues on how to unlock various means of progression. It's like some kind of a P.T. inspired puzzle, lol.

What a brilliant mod.

Guilty_AI

I knew what mod you were refering to even before clicking.

Its very well made. Actually, the way its designed, kinda reminds me a bit of Yumme Nikki, though the real inspiration appears to be House of Leaves.

Last edited:

nkarafo

When i start the game the doors open like regular DOOM 2 doors. Then after a while they open like real doors (with hinges) and when that happens, the music restarts for some reason?

Is that supposed to happen? Or is it buggy?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Nah, the mod is buggy. When i start the game the doors open like regular DOOM 2 doors. Then after a while they open like real doors (with hinges) and when that happens, the music restarts for some reason?

So yeah, who knows what other broken stuff is in there.
The dog is also weird, he doesnt behave as he should sometimes.

mitch1971

season 1 friends GIF

I'm ready.

nkarafo

Absolutely. Keep going and remember that reaching the exit doesn't mean it's over.

You need to add to the OP that this map works best without any mods. I tried to use a music mod because after i heard the original DOOM 2 music i thought it doesn't do anything with the music but i was wrong

Drizzlehell

Banned
You need to add to the OP that this map works best without any mods. I tried to use a music mod because after i heard the original DOOM 2 music i thought it doesn't do anything with the music but i was wrong
I haven't used any so I didn't know.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
First off, thanks for posting this OP. Second, just imagine having stumbled across that guy's mod page, plugging this in thinking it's a simple home-recreation map.

It's confusing in terms of what triggers the next section but other than that, you can tell whoever made this has talent.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Please, play Final Doom. Is insane good imo.

Bro…no. TNT is seen as a joke in the Doom community. Plutonia is good but its nothing other wads haven’t done better by now(Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Valiant, etc)

Fake

Bro…no. TNT is seen as a joke in the Doom community. Plutonia is good but its nothing other wads haven’t done better by now(Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Valiant, etc)

TNT still have some maps worth, but I do agree with you about TNT being a mix bag overall. I do like for example maps like Pharaoh and Heck.

Plutonia in the other hand is super good. The hidden levels are pretty tought.

Last edited:

raduque

I watched a couple videos about this mod, one of which actually deep-dived the technical aspects of it, and it's amazing. The writing, pacing, technical aspects, the ARG stuff. Just chef's kiss

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, I got a recommended video on this mod in the past week on YouTube. Looks like a super immersive, well thought out puzzle box on an engine one wouldn't think to build one on. Like the Spencer Mansion built in Silent Hill or some shit.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus

I just watched this YouTube video today by Power Pak, it runs almost two hours and goes into depth on My House. At first, this is presented as a “mod” of Doom 2, but is, in fact, a very deep, surreal and unsettling horror videogame that plays out like an all-encompassing art project and literary adaptation. If you also share a fear of what are called “liminal spaces,” then you’re going to love this.

There are a few jump scares to be found, but the mood of My House is deeply unsettling and uncanny, like a revolving series of nightmares that evoke memories of a lost life and lost romance, regrets and sorrow, suffering and death. It’s quite hard to fully explain to anyone who hasn’t experienced it in depth.

This is one of the best videogames of the year, and it’s just the sort of mondo bizarro genius that reminds me of William Burroughs or David Lynch, the notorious “found footage” horror movie The Blair Witch Project, as well as the infamous 1987 Max Headroom Pirate Broadcast and the Super Famicom “bootleg” renegade art project Hong Kong 97.

I think the strangest thing about this game is that nobody knows who created it. There are numerous forum posts and a running online dairy that supposedly accompanied the game’s production, but these also appear to be more performance art, which only adds to the greater mystery.

So, yeah, this is just up my alley. I champion strange, left-of-the-dial videogames just like My House. Everyone needs to experience this at least once, even if that is limited tk watching the above video. Enjoy.

Top Bottom